Game Day: Power V Saints

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Re: Game Day: Power V Saints

All the Port front runners suddenly sparking up. When it was in the trenches they didn't like it. I'm far from convinced about them being a top team.

Liam_G
Club Player

We certainly don't deserve to lose this game by 6 goals. But as long as all Saints supporters understand WHY we have, it's OK. We will learn from this. We have shown we will be competitive in 2016. Stick by us and we will be worth it. 100%.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

kalsaint wrote:3AW saying we have done well but look tired now with being the younger team.

I don't want the Saints to be recognised as a team with gallant losses again. Sheesh easy late goals annoy me as this hurts percentage over the year.
Chill out. We are young and inexperienced against a hostile crowd and having to deal with a 90 interchange cap. Bloody tough ask.

Magnificent 3 quarter effort. All I could've hoped for pre match.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
realdeal
Club Player

We've put up a brave effort!
Unfortunately the final margin is not even a close to how the game actually played out.

The afl owe us big time for the Mackay stuff up, this is partly the result of that in my opinion.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Gresham was a poor choice. Hasn't been seen apart from his goa. He only played two half games of footy before this. Even gut runners were struggliong in this game. We played a man down.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:All the Port front runners suddenly sparking up. When it was in the trenches they didn't like it. I'm far from convinced about them being a top team.
+1

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
kalsaint
Club Player

matrix wrote:Still happy
Have a look at our side
Now look at theirs
At home
You cant complain too much

Crqcking effort

Very tired
Aerobic will come
Understand that and hope you are right but I don't like hearing things like "Nick was pushed of the ball too easily again". It means that the rest of the team needs to lift to compensate for the new rule on interchanges. Its killing certain players.
We need second stringers to match up well with other teams not rely on champions,

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
mullet
Saintsational Legend

realdeal wrote:We've put up a brave effort!
Unfortunately the final margin is not even a close to how the game actually played out.

The afl owe us big time for the Mackay stuff up, this is partly the result of that in my opinion.
would hate to think that one missed practice match would matter so much.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Well done Rooey. 100 pts away from home is danm exciting

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

kalsaint wrote:
matrix wrote:Still happy
Have a look at our side
Now look at theirs
At home
You cant complain too much

Crqcking effort

Very tired
Aerobic will come
Understand that and hope you are right but I don't like hearing things like "Nick was pushed of the ball too easily again". It means that the rest of the team needs to lift to compensate for the new rule on interchanges. Its killing certain players.
We need second stringers to match up well with other teams not rely on champions,
Who said Roo is anywhere near full fitness?

I reckon a fit Roo would love the new cap

kalsaint
Club Player

Every time the AFL makes changes to this game it has consequences. Once again all teams have had to lose body weight to match the running requirement.

The issue is younger bodies are affected more by this than other bigger teams due to the player to strength factor.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Witches hats. Not matter how good we were for 2 and a half qtrs, this is embarrassing. We have broken the record for out on the fulls. So disapointing after we were so good. Dont want to here about the missed practice match either, weve had an extra player for 100 minutes. Hickey fantastic. Acres promising. Gearys kickig putrid.

Yes, there are absolutely things that need to be recognised and rectified. But ffs.... if some St Kilda supporters can't see positivity in today's game then you never will. Keep going Saints, 2016 won't be a disappointment.

kalsaint
Club Player

Quarter is 35 minutes now. Not wanted by the AFL. Now we have more chance for injury than last year and they want to reduce time of quarters. I wonder if this was the AFLs strategy to get another change next year.
They are duds.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

one less practice match has hurt us - ran out of puff. Good prep for next week though - guys were fantastic for three quarters.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Should have won that.

We had a s*** preseason. Were always going to run out of legs.

On the back of that we will win a lot more games than many, even on here thought we would.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

We def need another tough midfielder and key back like Carlisle...
In addition to that, we need to figure out a way to get a second ruckman into the team... One that plays another position. Hickey needs to be a weapon rather than the man carrying the entire ruck presence on his shoulders.

The big thing that needs to happen though is that we need an upgrade on the okay players that have limitations. I'm talking Geary, Savatage is another that turns it over way too much.

I reckon Dempster is under a little pressure now too. He's good, but on that performance he's slowed a tad and we have Tom Lee and Goddard looking for a shot

mullet
Saintsational Legend

kalsaint wrote:

Every time the AFL makes changes to this game it has consequences. Once again all teams have had to lose body weight to match the running requirement.

The issue is younger bodies are affected more by this than other bigger teams due to the player to strength factor.
I have to agree with you. They really make it up as they go along. Players are now scared to be the last one to touch the ball before it goes out. Its like netball.
and who comes up with the number of interchanges? 3 guys jump on the one guy going for the ball. in his back head shoulders and he gets pinged. someone hits a guys knee with his head cos he is going for the ball and its against him. holy crap what has happened to our game.
So the bulldogs have the right idea. run and run and run in first quarter and put the score on the board. then just defend defend defend.

supersaints
Club Player

Can't help but think that the washed out Brisbane NAB cup took its toll, we are about 33% under prepared for game match intensity...we were always going to fade out. Saw enough to see a good improvement on last year, and enough to see Port won't win a flag... Hats off to the boys for a gutsy effort.
Notice the expert commentary team failed to mention we were a games off in preperation

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
kalsaint
Club Player

Doesn't it piss you off that we couldn't get a taller defender into today's team. Carlaile would have been ideal. Both Port and Sants suffer from insufficient compensation for another clubs practices on drugs. I will be raising this again and again if the Essendon players get off their claim and Saints lose a potential game changer all year because of this.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Was waiting for Templeton to start flying in the last quarter. This guy is disappointing me. You could see they were stuffed towards the end of the 3rd quarter. Not sure if missing a practice game was the reason but Fisher looked out of in in the last.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Carlsile would have been very handy.
Finey having a massive rant on SEN about us missing that pratice game. We were stuffed in the last. Cant blame him. AFL could have easily switched venue to Burpengary at short notice.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Wonder what decade we'll play P.A. again in Melbourne.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
realdeal
Club Player

magnifisaint wrote:Was waiting for Templeton to start flying in the last quarter. This guy is disappointing me. You could see they were stuffed towards the end of the 3rd quarter. Not sure if missing a practice game was the reason but Fisher looked out of in in the last.
I felt for Fish, Tried to hold back the tide under constant pressure in the last. Lion hearted. Proud of the boys but now we've gotta do it for 4 qtrs!

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

After 5 months of pre season

Why would there be that much discrepancy in fitness.... We weren't that young.... Most players have been around the AFL for years....

We can't use the prac game as an excuse surely... That was 3 weeks ago

Not sure we are aerobically fit enough... We were in quick sand for 40 mins