Compassionate Malthouse Extends a Helping Hand

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Compassionate Malthouse Extends a Helping Hand

Well, I'll be damned! Perhaps his time in retirement has helped stabilise him philosophically and he's figured that being remembered as a jerk isn't the way to go.

I, for one, would like to see Jake Carlisle involved in something like this, as opposed to being left to his own devices, during his year ban:
MICK Malthouse wants to help the banned Essendon players avoid the "lifetime penalty" that befell former Saint Ahmed Saad.

The VFL/AFL coaching games record holder said training in isolation, as Saad did when suspended for an anti-doping violation, was risky as it could give players "a false dawn".

Malthouse told radio station SEN that Saad, who played just four senior games in 2015, could never return to where he was before his suspension because of his time away from the game.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-02-15/m ... me-penalty

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Re: Compassionate Malthouse Extends a Helping Hand

Not so much - he and Buttifant have set up a company to provide fitness

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:Not so much - he and Buttifant have set up a company to provide fitness
So perhaps he is more opportunistic than compassionate?

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Yes , kick start for the business, 12/ 16 instant referrals

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
IanRush
SS Hall of Fame

Perhaps the AFL will set up that non-WADA sanctioned Rebel League, with this 19th team as the test case?

USELESS FACT: The WADA case against Essendon (in Sydney as well) is exactly 10 years to the day that Australia qualified for the 2006 FIFA World Cup.
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

I read this and my first thought was this is not such a crazy idea. Even if they just had a semi-regular 3 day a week loose thing it would help create a psuedo-club environment to help players be focused and accountable. I know a lot here hate Malthouse, but I think he has a lot of knowledge and wisdom he could pass on. He is renown for being able to connect with players and help them find their own confidence and inner steel - something Jake could really benefit from.

But...there is no way the clubs or AFL could pay for it - surely they would breech the sanction that the players can't be involved with the league other than as a spectator. You could try and do a sneaky and say to Jake pay for it yourself and we will bump your salary up next year to cover it. But really the players should pay for it themselves anyway what would it cost them $5000 or so each?

The other big issue though is if the clubs would want this. Jake was still on a restricted training regime to protect his knee and we don't know how long they wanted it that way or what their ramp up plan was. What if they run intense drills that might stress his knee before its ready. And I think he's also had back issues. Malthouse won't have that sort of in depth injury data on each player to tailor a training load accordingly.

And head coaches are notoriously protective about their players being "influenced" by outside coaches *cough* Lyon - leave Rooey alone Grant *cough*. Coaches spend a great deal of energy and time in embedding a unique game plan in players from year 1 and they don't want other plans complicating things for players who are by and large simple creatures. Do we want Jake to come back always kicking the ball along the wings? :wink:

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:
saintbrat wrote:Not so much - he and Buttifant have set up a company to provide fitness
So perhaps he is more opportunistic than compassionate?
Exactly !
that's malthouse to a tee
Said of Ratten's team at the time , he'd have them playing for a flag . Got the chance ," How'd you go Mick !"

Lets be honest Saad was an average player when we got him , came back the same .
Perhaps if he was younger we may of persisted with him , but at his age it was time to give another kid the opportunity .
That's the cutthroat nature of the game .
Only a small percentage of players drafted play more than 100 games .

In red white and black from 73
tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Sainternist wrote:Well, I'll be damned! Perhaps his time in retirement has helped stabilise him philosophically and he's figured that being remembered as a jerk isn't the way to go.

I, for one, would like to see Jake Carlisle involved in something like this, as opposed to being left to his own devices, during his year ban:
MICK Malthouse wants to help the banned Essendon players avoid the "lifetime penalty" that befell former Saint Ahmed Saad.

The VFL/AFL coaching games record holder said training in isolation, as Saad did when suspended for an anti-doping violation, was risky as it could give players "a false dawn".

Malthouse told radio station SEN that Saad, who played just four senior games in 2015, could never return to where he was before his suspension because of his time away from the game.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-02-15/m ... me-penalty
I can assure you he won't be left to his own devices. There's always a way.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote:
I can assure you he won't be left to his own devices. There's always a way.
By snapchat? That deletes itself. Well it should...

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:I read this and my first thought was this is not such a crazy idea. Even if they just had a semi-regular 3 day a week loose thing it would help create a psuedo-club environment to help players be focused and accountable. I know a lot here hate Malthouse, but I think he has a lot of knowledge and wisdom he could pass on. He is renown for being able to connect with players and help them find their own confidence and inner steel - something Jake could really benefit from.

But...there is no way the clubs or AFL could pay for it - surely they would breech the sanction that the players can't be involved with the league other than as a spectator. You could try and do a sneaky and say to Jake pay for it yourself and we will bump your salary up next year to cover it. But really the players should pay for it themselves anyway what would it cost them $5000 or so each?

The other big issue though is if the clubs would want this. Jake was still on a restricted training regime to protect his knee and we don't know how long they wanted it that way or what their ramp up plan was. What if they run intense drills that might stress his knee before its ready. And I think he's also had back issues. Malthouse won't have that sort of in depth injury data on each player to tailor a training load accordingly.

And head coaches are notoriously protective about their players being "influenced" by outside coaches *cough* Lyon - leave Rooey alone Grant *cough*. Coaches spend a great deal of energy and time in embedding a unique game plan in players from year 1 and they don't want other plans complicating things for players who are by and large simple creatures. Do we want Jake to come back always kicking the ball along the wings? :wink:
I'm with you, Bluthy. The idea itself certainly isn't crazy.

I guess we'll wait and see how the clubs involved will view it. As you said, it could be too hot to handle in that it may be of breech of the jurisdiction handed out. It would be nice to know Jake Carlisle was going to do his utmost in going it alone and training his heart out for 2017. Hearing him say that he was going to just work in construction didn't restore a lot of confidence in how he spends his downtime for me.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

I'd be surprised if any suspended players don't employ the services of some sort of fitness/conditioning person. I would be even more surprised if that person does not seek "professional input" about their client's program from a professional colleague (say one who just happens to be in the employ of an AFL club) over a casual coffee and catch up.....

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
dragit
Saintsational Legend

I'd prefer the weapon or Ivan Milat.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:I'd prefer the weapon or Ivan Milat.
Well Carlisle's more of a back pocket than a backpacker. so he should be okay with the latter :wink:

The_Merchant
Club Player

Bluthy wrote:I read this and my first thought was this is not such a crazy idea. Even if they just had a semi-regular 3 day a week loose thing it would help create a psuedo-club environment to help players be focused and accountable. I know a lot here hate Malthouse, but I think he has a lot of knowledge and wisdom he could pass on. He is renown for being able to connect with players and help them find their own confidence and inner steel - something Jake could really benefit from.

I would think that financing would be the biggest difficulty here. It would cost significantly more than $5000 per player, even if all 16 signed up. I would take a stab in the dark at $25k each but it could easily be more. Although that depends on the quality of coaching and fitness staff.

If at first you don't succeed, sky diving is not for you.
mullet
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Well Carlisle's more of a back pocket than a backpacker. so he should be okay with the latter :wink:
Reckon I'd be pretty fit if training with Ivan. I'd run like buggery to get away from him. He is my worst nightmare

IanRush
SS Hall of Fame

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/m ... 46ac2cea72

UPDATE: MICK Malthouse has met with banned Essendon stars after revealing he wants to help train some of the 34 Dons in their year away from footy.

USELESS FACT: The WADA case against Essendon (in Sydney as well) is exactly 10 years to the day that Australia qualified for the 2006 FIFA World Cup.
ripplug66
Club Player

IanRush wrote:http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/m ... 46ac2cea72

UPDATE: MICK Malthouse has met with banned Essendon stars after revealing he wants to help train some of the 34 Dons in their year away from footy.

Good. Any help is the best thing for all. As pointed out by someone else the penalty finishes in September so they have every right to be ready to go day one.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

The_Merchant wrote:

I would think that financing would be the biggest difficulty here. It would cost significantly more than $5000 per player, even if all 16 signed up. I would take a stab in the dark at $25k each but it could easily be more. Although that depends on the quality of coaching and fitness staff.
$5000 times 16 players is $80,000. That is tonnes for a 6 month fitness program that would probably only be run 2 or 3 days a week or just the mornings. A lot of the players will be in Carlisle's boat and be working, studying or travelling. You're not trying to recreate an AFL club environment, just something that gives a bit of structure and psychological support.

The_Merchant
Club Player

Bluthy wrote: $5000 times 16 players is $80,000. That is tonnes for a 6 month fitness program that would probably only be run 2 or 3 days a week or just the mornings. A lot of the players will be in Carlisle's boat and be working, studying or travelling. You're not trying to recreate an AFL club environment, just something that gives a bit of structure and psychological support.
Just Malthouse himself would want more than that. To get any value out of it, you would want to run at least 3 sessions a week, plus a couple of weight sessions. You need a fitness coach, a weights coach, a football coach, a physio, probably a doctor and a few trainers. Then you have things like facility hire, equipment hire and a massive part of it would be insurance. We don't want our biggest investment of the last few years trying to imitate an afl training load without proper support and on a sketchy suburban ground where he is likely to do an ankle 10 minutes into his first session because of a dodgy strapping job.

Even if you got Malthouse for 3 x 2hr sessions a week, for 26 weeks, at what I would guess would be $400-500 per hour, you are pretty close to your 80k.

That being said the 16 blokes in question are on a combined income probably in the region of $5 million, they can probably stump up the few hundred thousand it would cost to get a decent setup going.

If at first you don't succeed, sky diving is not for you.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

mullet wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
Reckon I'd be pretty fit if training with Ivan. I'd run like buggery to get away from him. He is my worst nightmare
dragit's worst nightmare index (for a dinner-date)

1. Mick Malthouse

2. Tony Abbott

2. James Hird

3. Dwayne Russell

4. Ted Bundy

5. Ivan Milat

6. Robert Mugabe

7. Pol Pot

8. Adolf Hitler

9. Stinger

10. Clem Ford

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Mick suffering from relevance deprivation.
Hope he finds something to amuse himself,
would hate him to become the latest victim of "mental illness"!

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
mullet wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:

1. Mick Malthouse

2. Tony Abbott

2. James Hird

3. Dwayne Russell

4. Ted Bundy

5. Ivan Milat

6. Robert Mugabe

7. Pol Pot

8. Adolf Hitler

9. Stinger

10. Clem Ford
Wow, I wouldn't have thought the likes of Clementine Ford and Stinger would pose such a threat to be put alongside a psychopath coach, ruthless dictators, a half-witted former PM and serial killers.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

compassionate Mick- = $1,5 million
halved with Butifant- =$750,000

even Robbo from Herald Sun suggested he THOUGHT- Mick was being generous.....

Suggests there is suggestion he may take the group to Arizona :lol:

they all don't need jobs as they are being paid- first mistake- they should all be looking for work... then add their fitness regime-- then they wont have time to dwell on it...

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
mullet wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:

1. Mick Malthouse

2. Tony Abbott

2. James Hird

3. Dwayne Russell

4. Ted Bundy

5. Ivan Milat

6. Robert Mugabe

7. Pol Pot

8. Adolf Hitler

9. Stinger

10. Clem Ford
That's pretty funny dragit. Lovely eclectic list.