Who is going to Friday Intra Club?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: Who is going to Friday Intra Club?

Billings, Sincles and Gresh standing out.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Ross, Weller and O'Kearney getting good reviews.

Lonie has kicked 3. DMac seems to be going well also. Paddy doing well.

Only -ve is Roberton ankle.

ripplug66
Club Player

Left at three quarter time. Curren clearly best for Yellow followed by Sinclair. O'Kearney quite, Greasham ok I suppose. Good footy body. McCartin still has plenty of work to do on his body. Big arse, no definition in legs. Gilbert good on the ball. Billings good as an outside on baller.

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

thanks for update. how was Tom Lee looking?

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
ripplug66
Club Player

millarsaint wrote:thanks for update. how was Tom Lee looking?

Someone on BF said good. If he had 6 possessions whilst I was there I would be shocked. Acres started really well. Faded a little. The games really mean nothing. Half the Saints jumper side would have played on Sandy players.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

A lot of love for gresham, sinclair, billings, acres, curren, weller and ross on bf.
And did lonie kick 4?
P66 is right. Doesn't mean a lot.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Good solid hit out today for the boys. A few were a bit rusty and a few sprayed kicks later on when tiring but overall okay.

Roo, Steven, Armitage, Dunstan, Longer, Geary, Membrey, Rice and Freeman didn't play but were all there signing autographs for the fans after the match. Roo looks really skinny in the polo top he was wearing. Maybe he's lost too much weight for out-positioning opponents (but maybe okay for running on the wing).

I felt sorry for most of the players that played in the game who had to run sprints after the game.

But at least we won. :D

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Anyone stay for the Sandy practice match?

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Tom Lee had a great last quarter in the Saints jumper.

I was impressed by the silk of Gresham.

Loved the attack on the ball and man by White.

Thought Hickey did well forward.

Thought Pierce rucked well.

Seb Ross, newnes, billings all stepped up a level.

Curran best for yellows.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote:Tom Lee had a great last quarter in the Saints jumper.

Curran best for yellows.
Thanks for the report. Couldn't make it due to work.

What was your take on Paddy? Concerns me a bit that plugger reckons he looks a fair way off ready body size still. I was hoping he'd be a regular in the ones this season.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

I had an interesting day, together with my wife.
First, I parked next to Nick Riewoldt's 4WD and I got the thumbs up from the champ. He said I had left enough room for his wife to take out the bassinet (later on). He was holding his baby in one arm, who's a toddler now, and I started a little chat - all of 15 seconds probably - as we strolled up to the ground. He's very friendly and relaxed. At one point, he turned around and said hi "Gordon" to someone and started to chat with him. Someone asked him how married life was (maybe Gordon?) - he said it was great, he loved being married. He's very lean - like Michelangelo's David.
Then, when we were seated in the grandstand (if you can call it that), the lady next to me asked if I had someone playing, which I took to mean a son, a family member. I said no, what about you?
She said, yes, my grandson, Paddy (Paddy's dad is her son)! A nice lady, who's a St Kilda supporter now (she used to follow the Bulldogs). Very friendly, very proud of her grandson. Rightly, so.
She said Paddy has 2 brothers playing really good footy - and the youngest one could be every bit as good as Paddy, and looks like he'll end up a little bit bigger and taller.

In between I watched a little bit of the game - Billings really stood out with his kicking, and was racking up possessions. Acres had a fantastic first quarter.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
BackFromUSA wrote:Tom Lee had a great last quarter in the Saints jumper.

Curran best for yellows.
Thanks for the report. Couldn't make it due to work.

What was your take on Paddy? Concerns me a bit that plugger reckons he looks a fair way off ready body size still. I was hoping he'd be a regular in the ones this season.
Paddy is set to be 2nd or 3rd tall forward this year (his second) and is a footballer rather than an athlete! His advantage is his mind rather than his body. Remember Riewoldt as a Colt? Skinny legs and no AFL body but a great 3rd tall. Took time to become the main target with Gehrig and Hamill around him. Used to float in from the side to mark. Paddy is where he should be at this stage. Holds his own. Plays his role. Needs to still get fitter, stronger, faster but is 60% there and will require another 2 pre seasons before he is ready to become a main target like Bruce is now. Then we shall have 2. Also his second and third efforts will improve by the improvement in his fitness. He will never be the fastest but his brain and body use will compensate for it.

I would use him as 3rd tall target when hickey is relief rucking.

From what I saw yesterday Lewis Pierce has the ability to be our #1 ruck in a year or two. Was the most exciting but yesterday to see his added weight and strength to out body older opponents. Can play.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Overall it was a pretty scrappy game which you expect from a warm up game on a windy ground. But it also reflects the pressure both sides put on which is Richo's trademark so far - there was no easy ball out there. Players were hitting packs really hard - no one shirked it.

Acres - really stood out to me - got plenty of it and was effective with it. Reminds me of Goddard - can play as a genuine in and under mid as despite his size he's got great hands at ground level and has composure. But also also reads the play beautifully often standing off the ball where he just seems to know the ball will go
Billings - just silk. You always feel confident when the ball is in his hands. Was working really hard up the wings and setting players up with his precision kicking an then pushing forward himself
Ross - got a lot of it and was pretty good with it
Lee - I thought he was good in his defensive role. Hit a couple of packs really hard killing the contest. And once he had it in the back pocket saw a guy free on the opposite wing and drilled it to him on his chest with a 50m kick from a standing start. That was exciting. I worry about his tank though. Only way to find out is to give the guy a go in the big show.
Goddard - played on Paddy early and was doing ok. He was really vocal directing the backline which is great for a second year player - he's going to be our backline general. He does get caught under the ball though like he did a lot last year. I think he's just used to be able to back back in junior footy with his size and push everyone out of his way. But AFL have big fwds who can hold you off. Needs to get the ball more in front of him so he can come forward which is easier.
Paddy - thought he did really well. There was one play where he had three oppo going for a mark but he brought the ball to the ground and scrapped for it which resulted in a goal. I think they want him to be that "get out" forward target to give structure. Put several years of muscle on him and he will be a strong bull. But also leads really well. Needs to coordinate with Bruce better as they don't get enough separation from each other often going into the same areas.
Bruce - looked good. A strong presence marking and leading and good work rate.
Gresham - was busy. I'm getting these small guys mixed up as I haven't worked out there faces yet.
Lonie - I think this kid was born with confidence that nothing will shake. He just seems really sure of himself
Newnes - busy as usual
Weller - was ok tough at fhe footy not sure he uses it well though
Hickey - thought he was leaping really well and did well as a forward
Holmes and Pierce - trying hard - long way to go for both
Fisher and Joey - were really strong - very composed on the ball as you expect
Webster - did well - you just feel he's got another level to go to where he could be a real weapon but can he find it?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Did anyone else catch AR giving a massive spray

It seems we are more easily pleased than the coach

In his words

"I'm not copping this sh**"

ripplug66
Club Player

BigMart wrote:Did anyone else catch AR giving a massive spray

In his words

Yep the game went for 60 minutes and he gave a massive spray. I'm sure over 60 minutes even the most positive supporter either laughed or yelled at players or said under his breath that was crap. If Richo did a summary of the game on the website I reckon it would all be positive.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

To the media he would

He was clearly unimpressed at 3qtr time... He told several players they weren't delivering to a standard required ...

But you know though... Of course

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

How many goals did Hickey kick??

ripplug66
Club Player

BigMart wrote:To the media he would

He was clearly unimpressed at 3qtr time... He told several players they weren't delivering to a standard required ...

But you know though... Of course

I know people on here can be positive but still see the negatives. Doesn't mean they have to write them all down on here for everyone to read just as Richo wouldn't. And Hickey kicked no goals. I'm unsure you got my point though. He obviously got the ball around the ground, you said he didn't.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Thanks to everyone who provided reports. Appreciated.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Retracted due to bad taste. Apologies.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Bluthy wrote:Overall it was a pretty scrappy game which you expect from a warm up game on a windy ground. But it also reflects the pressure both sides put on which is Richo's trademark so far - there was no easy ball out there. Players were hitting packs really hard - no one shirked it.

Acres - really stood out to me - got plenty of it and was effective with it. Reminds me of Goddard - can play as a genuine in and under mid as despite his size he's got great hands at ground level and has composure. But also also reads the play beautifully often standing off the ball where he just seems to know the ball will go
Billings - just silk. You always feel confident when the ball is in his hands. Was working really hard up the wings and setting players up with his precision kicking an then pushing forward himself
Ross - got a lot of it and was pretty good with it
Lee - I thought he was good in his defensive role. Hit a couple of packs really hard killing the contest. And once he had it in the back pocket saw a guy free on the opposite wing and drilled it to him on his chest with a 50m kick from a standing start. That was exciting. I worry about his tank though. Only way to find out is to give the guy a go in the big show.
Goddard - played on Paddy early and was doing ok. He was really vocal directing the backline which is great for a second year player - he's going to be our backline general. He does get caught under the ball though like he did a lot last year. I think he's just used to be able to back back in junior footy with his size and push everyone out of his way. But AFL have big fwds who can hold you off. Needs to get the ball more in front of him so he can come forward which is easier.
Paddy - thought he did really well. There was one play where he had three oppo going for a mark but he brought the ball to the ground and scrapped for it which resulted in a goal. I think they want him to be that "get out" forward target to give structure. Put several years of muscle on him and he will be a strong bull. But also leads really well. Needs to coordinate with Bruce better as they don't get enough separation from each other often going into the same areas.
Bruce - looked good. A strong presence marking and leading and good work rate.
Gresham - was busy. I'm getting these small guys mixed up as I haven't worked out there faces yet.
Lonie - I think this kid was born with confidence that nothing will shake. He just seems really sure of himself
Newnes - busy as usual
Weller - was ok tough at fhe footy not sure he uses it well though
Hickey - thought he was leaping really well and did well as a forward
Holmes and Pierce - trying hard - long way to go for both
Fisher and Joey - were really strong - very composed on the ball as you expect
Webster - did well - you just feel he's got another level to go to where he could be a real weapon but can he find it?

As good as summary I have read, but dont necessarily agree with your comments on Hickey & Holmes.

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

In his words

I doubt there would be very, very, few games when the AFL coach at some point does not give a "massive spray". I have often even seen said coaches let rip when their teams were well in fronto on the scoreboard.

I was standing under the coaches box for the first quarter and Richo was calling out various postive comments as well as criticisms as players came off during the quarter.

The coaches role is to point out waht needs to be done better and to not just be a "backslapper". Any coach at times will be more "heated" in this.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
the dome
Club Player

M a k i n g P r o g r e s s t h e A. R. w a y

Thank you Bluthy for your impressions.
I'm glad to hear that yourself & a few others gave a tick to Seb Ross. I get the feeling (really hope i'm right) that he is maintaining a coarse of steady improvement to where he hopes to get.
The Bilby continues to look the goods as he did very early on. We can certainly do with some silk in around the midfield.
Acers also sounds like he is finding his feet as he builds on his experience. Sounds versatile and able to convert his reading of the play to our Saintly advantage. fingers crossed he gets a bit of momentum going and becomes more of a regular this year.
Not surprised to hear Newness is still generating good energy. Jack's enthusiasm is much appreciated.
Also interesting comment about Lonie, we all liked it when he grabbed his opportunity with both hands so all the best to him as well in 2016.
Sounds like Paddy & Hughie are travelling well which is heartening.
Good to hear Paddy looks like he handles the leading aspect of the game well.
It will be fascinating to see who pushes up for serious selection consideration this season.
Enjoyed your Saintly reporting.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: M a k i n g P r o g r e s s t h e A. R. w a

the dome wrote:Thank you Bluthy for your impressions.
I'm glad to hear that yourself & a few others gave a tick to Seb Ross. I get the feeling (really hope i'm right) that he is maintaining a coarse of steady improvement to where he hopes to get.
Yes I agree that Ross looked good.

He was flying in the pre-season last year but unfortunately got injured. I am expecting him to bea regular this year.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:

In his words

I doubt there would be very, very, few games when the AFL coach at some point does not give a "massive spray". I have often even seen said coaches let rip when their teams were well in fronto on the scoreboard.

I was standing under the coaches box for the first quarter and Richo was calling out various postive comments as well as criticisms as players came off during the quarter.

The coaches role is to point out waht needs to be done better and to not just be a "backslapper". Any coach at times will be more "heated" in this.
I'm thinking as a coach it's a good plan to give the boys a big spray in their first match in front of fans. Bit of a wake up call and to get their minds focused on playing footy. It's too long an off season and players from all clubs are always very rusty until Round 2 when they finally wake up.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.