Best 5 home and away wins of the modern era

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Best 5 home and away wins of the modern era

The Age are running a series of best 5 home and away wins for each club in the modern era. I think that means since 1970.

They started with the Pies, interestingly 2 of them were against us.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/c ... lsmg6.html

So list your five and see how close you get.

I'll go with:
2015 Dogs
2009 Cats
2008 Bombers
1997 Swans
1994 Swans

I'm sure I'm missing some great games from the '70s and not much from the '80s.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
chook23
Saintsational Legend

Re: Best 5 home and away wins of the modern era

against Brisbane when schwarze kicked very late goal..............

would have to be considered.

saint4life
mambo2706
Club Player

Round 2 1989 vs Carlton at Moorabbin. Plugger kicked 10 playing on SOS including the winning goal with 34 seconds left. Best game I have ever seen. 2009 vs cats also up there.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

Final game of 1978. Saints had kicked arse in second half of the season to be in finals contention. Needed to beat the Scum at Moorabbin and for (I think) Fitzroy to beat Geelong for us to make the five.

We smashed the Blues but the other result went against us. The boys could've gone deep into September too as we were rolling

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Wow - only 5 from past forty-five years.
Okay, I'll bite. I am going to stick to the AFL era as the footy was of a (generally) higher standard, I and reckon beating the premier of that year makes a win all the more memorable:

1990 vs Hawthorn at Moorabbin

2003 vs Brisbane at Docklands

2006 vs West Coast in Perth for Harv's 350th

2008 vs Hawthorn at Docklands

2009 vs Geelong at Docklands

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

1993 at Victoria park. Nick Winmar jumper lifting Match.
1989 against Carlton. Plugger kicks ten.
Queens birthday 1992???. Davenport kicks the winner after being accosted by Kenny Sheldon

2004 v Brisbane. Wool's 55 metre bomb to win the game.
2009 v Geelong R13. Both teams undefeated. Gardiner takes a pack mark which knocks out Taylor and kicks the winner

You are garbage - Enough said
Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

I'm interested to see which five they come up with. I can only remember a handful of games from the 80's as I was still quite young, but here's my top dozen from the 90's onwards....

1992 - Round 1 - Defeated Essendon by 17 pts. First win over Essendon in well over a decade after trailing at 3/4 time on a hot sunny day at Waverley and we went nuts.

1993 - Round 4 - Defeated Collingwood by 22 pts. That infamous day at Victoria Park. I've never been so intimidated at the footy but wow, what a satisfying win.

1994 - Round 7 - Defeated Sydney by 1 pt. The second greatest comeback from 3/4 time ever. Astonishing turn around. Plugger was incredible, both good and bad, but 11 goals ensured he won the game off his own boot.

1995 - Round 9 - Defeated Carlton by 56 pts. Shocking day at Waverley but we smashed the eventual premiers keeping them to 3.6 for the match. One of the biggest upsets ever and one of only two Carlton losses for the season.

1997 - Round 19 - Defeated Sydney by 9 pts. Swans hadn't lost at home for something like 17 games, but we were on a roll. Came from well behind to have Matty Lappin snap the sealer late in the last.

1999 - Round 10 - Defeated Geelong by 10 pts. 36 points down just after half time and Hocking sniped Harvey. The game turned on it's head, Everitt went nuts and we pinched a rare Kardinia Park win.

2001 - Round 22 - Defeated Hawthorn by 2 pts. Hawthorn were top four, we were second last, they lead all game. They even lead by 22 points with around 6 mins left. Then we went bang, bang, bang, bang and Bazza kicked the winner after the bell.

2004 - Round 6 - Defeated Brisbane by 1 pt. Troy Schwarz delivers that amazing 55 mtr match winning bomb in the dying seconds in front of a sold out Etihad Stadium. Stunning game. Huge win against the reigning champs.

2005 - Round 22 - Defeated Brisbane by 139 pts. Revenge. The return game after they beat up on an injured Nick Riewoldt in round one. We crushed them. Our biggest win ever. Their era was over. Milne snagged a lazy 11.

2009 - Round 14 - Defeated Geelong by 6 pts. Both teams 13-0, biggest home and away game ever, packed out Etihad Stadium. One of the best home and away games ever played.

2015 - Round 7 - Defeated Western Bulldogs by 7 pts. 55 points down in the third quarter, and even still 24 points down into the last quarter, yet we pulled off one of the greatest comebacks of all time.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Love all the choices so far! 2008 home and away against Hawks was also a good one. 31 or 35 points down at the half... That thrid quarter Etihad was a rockin'

Saints43
Club Player

prwilkinson wrote:Love all the choices so far! 2008 home and away against Hawks was also a good one. 31 or 35 points down at the half... That thrid quarter Etihad was a rockin'
Is that the one where Blakey went into the ruck and kicked a couple of goals?

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Saints43 wrote:
prwilkinson wrote:Love all the choices so far! 2008 home and away against Hawks was also a good one. 31 or 35 points down at the half... That thrid quarter Etihad was a rockin'
Yeah bursting out of the centre after we'd just kicked one.

ripplug66
Club Player

1994 Against the swans. No team in the history of AFL will come back from that far with such little time on the clock
1989 against Carlton. Plugger 10.7 versus the FB of the century
2009 Versus Geelong. Never heard a roar like it in a H&A game when Gardiner took the mark
No idea of the year but the Aussie and Wool game against Brisbane
2015 against the WB. Just because I remember it more clearly than anything else.

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

Beno88 wrote:I'm interested to see which five they come up with. I can only remember a handful of games from the 80's as I was still quite young, but here's my top dozen from the 90's onwards....

1992 - Round 1 - Defeated Essendon by 17 pts. First win over Essendon in well over a decade after trailing at 3/4 time on a hot sunny day at Waverley and we went nuts.

1993 - Round 4 - Defeated Collingwood by 22 pts. That infamous day at Victoria Park. I've never been so intimidated at the footy but wow, what a satisfying win.

1994 - Round 7 - Defeated Sydney by 1 pt. The second greatest comeback from 3/4 time ever. Astonishing turn around. Plugger was incredible, both good and bad, but 11 goals ensured he won the game off his own boot.

1995 - Round 9 - Defeated Carlton by 56 pts. Shocking day at Waverley but we smashed the eventual premiers keeping them to 3.6 for the match. One of the biggest upsets ever and one of only two Carlton losses for the season.

1997 - Round 19 - Defeated Sydney by 9 pts. Swans hadn't lost at home for something like 17 games, but we were on a roll. Came from well behind to have Matty Lappin snap the sealer late in the last.

1999 - Round 10 - Defeated Geelong by 10 pts. 36 points down just after half time and Hocking sniped Harvey. The game turned on it's head, Everitt went nuts and we pinched a rare Kardinia Park win.

2001 - Round 22 - Defeated Hawthorn by 2 pts. Hawthorn were top four, we were second last, they lead all game. They even lead by 22 points with around 6 mins left. Then we went bang, bang, bang, bang and Bazza kicked the winner after the bell.

2004 - Round 6 - Defeated Brisbane by 1 pt. Troy Schwarz delivers that amazing 55 mtr match winning bomb in the dying seconds in front of a sold out Etihad Stadium. Stunning game. Huge win against the reigning champs.

2005 - Round 22 - Defeated Brisbane by 139 pts. Revenge. The return game after they beat up on an injured Nick Riewoldt in round one. We crushed them. Our biggest win ever. Their era was over. Milne snagged a lazy 11.

2009 - Round 14 - Defeated Geelong by 6 pts. Both teams 13-0, biggest home and away game ever, packed out Etihad Stadium. One of the best home and away games ever played.

2015 - Round 7 - Defeated Western Bulldogs by 7 pts. 55 points down in the third quarter, and even still 24 points down into the last quarter, yet we pulled off one of the greatest comebacks of all time.
Some great ones there for sure, the one against the Cats in 99 was very special I reckon. From memory we kicked against a famous KP wind in the last quarter, Jason Triannides played his best quarter ever for us and we won

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

ripplug66 wrote: No idea of the year but the Aussie and Wool game against Brisbane

What a game. Goose was matching it with Brown, the Lions had Aker, Black, Brown Lynch, the Scott scum, Voss etc.

We were 26 points up and then the Lions kicked 5 in a row in about 10 minutes to hit the front.

I was on the second level directly behind Wool when he launched.

The roar as it went through was monsterous. 52k at Etihad what a game.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

prwilkinson wrote:
Saints43 wrote:
Blakey not even getting one brownlow vote for that one. Dal was great too.
I was at the ground - but remember hearing that Blight mounted an almighty serve against the Club on Channel 7 during the live telecast at half time - like a sermon. Heady days.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

samuraisaint wrote:
prwilkinson wrote:
Saints43 wrote:
Blakey not even getting one brownlow vote for that one. Dal was great too.
I was at the ground - but remember hearing that Blight mounted an almighty serve against the Club on Channel 7 during the live telecast at half time - like a sermon. Heady days.

Bagged the Saints because we wanted a coach not someone who turned up three days a week and couldn't be fagged.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

My alternative top 5 H&A from before 1990 -
Here goes -
Heard that the 1972 game against Richmond at Moorabbin was a beauty - 15 goal win against the era's most powerful side
Heard that the 1976 game at Princes Park against Hawthorn - comeback from 7 goals down at a ground we never won at against the modern era's most powerful club - With Robbie Muir rucking against Don Scott!
Now this one was a beauty - I remember it cos I was there - 1978 versus North at Arden Street - goal after the siren win against the reigning premier on their own dungheap
Another one I remember well - being at the ground - massive atmosphere - 1980 versus Richmond at the G - draw - Jezza's first game as captain/coach. Richmond went on to win the GF that year by a record margin too.
Last one - Saints vs 'Roys at the mighty Junction Oval 1983 - both sides kicking big scores - I think in the third quarter we kicked 8 or 9 and they kicked 13 - the Sidebottom brothers playing for opposing clubs and Max Crow at FF getting us over the line for a well deserved win. Loved going to the Junction Oval - amazing atmosphere, sea breeze, always great support, used to do alright despite the Lions being a top 3 side.

ripplug66
Club Player

samuraisaint wrote:My alternative top 5 H&A from before 1990 -
Here goes -
Heard that the 1972 game against Richmond at Moorabbin was a beauty - 15 goal win against the era's most powerful side
Heard that the 1976 game at Princes Park against Hawthorn - comeback from 7 goals down at a ground we never won at against the modern era's most powerful club - With Robbie Muir rucking against Don Scott!
Now this one was a beauty - I remember it cos I was there - 1978 versus North at Arden Street - goal after the siren win against the reigning premier on their own dungheap
Another one I remember well - being at the ground - massive atmosphere - 1980 versus Richmond at the G - draw - Jezza's first game as captain/coach. Richmond went on to win the GF that year by a record margin too.
Last one - Saints vs 'Roys at the mighty Junction Oval 1983 - both sides kicking big scores - I think in the third quarter we kicked 8 or 9 and they kicked 13 - the Sidebottom brothers playing for opposing clubs and Max Crow at FF getting us over the line for a well deserved win. Loved going to the Junction Oval - amazing atmosphere, sea breeze, always great support, used to do alright despite the Lions being a top 3 side.

Very much doubt Muir ever rucked in him life let alone that game. Was a great game though.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote: Now this one was a beauty - I remember it cos I was there - 1978 versus North at Arden Street - goal after the siren win against the reigning premier on their own dungheap.
Was there also.

It was a point, kicked by Robbie Elliott, that was given as a goal. Was directly behind the kick and when I saw it going off course I bent down to pick up my stuff to leave.

Then saw the ump waving two flags!

It got a fair bit of media coverage in the papers at the time :lol:

loris
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:The Age are running a series of best 5 home and away wins for each club in the modern era. I think that means since 1970.

They started with the Pies, interestingly 2 of them were against us.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/c ... lsmg6.html

So list your five and see how close you get.

I'll go with:
2015 Dogs
2009 Cats
2008 Bombers
1997 Swans
1994 Swans

I'm sure I'm missing some great games from the '70s and not much from the '80s.
Was that 2008 Bombers match, the last match of the H&A where we had to kick some mammoth score in the last half to get us into the 8 on % ?

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

ripplug66 wrote:
Here goes -

Very much doubt Muir ever rucked in him life let alone that game. Was a great game though.
According to match reports - he did that day. Might have been the only time he did though.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:
ripplug66 wrote:
Here goes -

According to match reports - he did that day. Might have been the only time he did though.
What match reports?
http://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/19 ... 60619.html
https://news.google.com.au/newspapers?i ... %2C5009871

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

I have just gone back and had a look and Sarau and Ditterich played, but I am sure I read somewhere that Muir rucked during that game. It may have even been in The Point Of It All. Obviously with those two in he didn't ruck all day though.

ripplug66
Club Player

samuraisaint wrote:I have just gone back and had a look and Sarau and Ditterich played, but I am sure I read somewhere that Muir rucked during that game. It may have even been in The Point Of It All. Obviously with those two in he didn't ruck all day though.

He didn't win a hit out so he didn't do it long, if at all. What he did do though is get 7 frees which in todays footy is unbelievable.

Enrico_Misso
Saintsational Legend
Location: Moorabbin Chapter of The Royal Society of Hagiographers

Dr Spaceman wrote:
samuraisaint wrote: Now this one was a beauty - I remember it cos I was there - 1978 versus North at Arden Street - goal after the siren win against the reigning premier on their own dungheap.
Was there also.

It was a point, kicked by Robbie Elliott, that was given as a goal. Was directly behind the kick and when I saw it going off course I bent down to pick up my stuff to leave.

Then saw the ump waving two flags!

It got a fair bit of media coverage in the papers at the time :lol:
You may be right about the line, but I thought the length was also an issue.
Time distorts memories.
My recollection is that the siren had gone and people were jumping the fence.
The kick fell a bit short and bounced in the square but with people everywhere no player was able to stop it.
Certainly a controversial finish.
And we had come from nowhere - I think we were over 3 goals behind deep in to time on but bang, bang, bang and then R Elliott.

The rest of Australia can wander mask-free, socialise, eat out, no curfews, no zoning, no police rings of steel, no illogical inconsistent rules. 
They can even WATCH LIVE FOOTY!
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

ripplug66 wrote:
samuraisaint wrote:I have just gone back and had a look and Sarau and Ditterich played, but I am sure I read somewhere that Muir rucked during that game. It may have even been in The Point Of It All. Obviously with those two in he didn't ruck all day though.

He didn't win a hit out so he didn't do it long, if at all. What he did do though is get 7 frees which in todays footy is unbelievable.
Checked on youtube - Jeans put him on the ball, so that explains why he might have been in some ruck contests. If Muir got 7 free kicks in a single match that is not just unbelievable, it's also a miracle.