Mav extends contract

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Mav extends contract

To 2018
And has a whack at the Suns
http://m.afl.com.au/news/2015-12-12/sun ... ays-weller

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Wrote for Luck
Club Player

Re: Mav extends contract

basically sums up why Richardson was such a good appointment. hope Carlisle will be saying the exact same thing in two years time.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Good on you Mav...personally think he kicked our goalk of the year vs the Tigers.

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2015-07-2 ... f-the-year

Nee!
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Nice shot at Gold Coast - they were obviously a dysfunctional club under McKenna. How fitting he is now with Essendon & Worsfold and we all know what went on in their playing & coaching Eagles eras.

Is it any wonder both are happy to go to Essendon as they have a very low moral base when it comes to professional sport!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Another one signed up for 3 years. Interesting. Another good sign of faith in him from the club. Weller can do some freakish things but I feel he's still a bit of a cameo player. Averaged 17 disposals last year which is ok to build on and he's been doing quite a few shut down roles. He's got the solid body to be a force out there in the hunt for the footy. He can do a few different roles so his variety is really handy.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:Another one signed up for 3 years. Interesting. Another good sign of faith in him from the club. Weller can do some freakish things but I feel he's still a bit of a cameo player. Averaged 17 disposals last year which is ok to build on and he's been doing quite a few shut down roles. He's got the solid body to be a force out there in the hunt for the footy. He can do a few different roles so his variety is really handy.
Not bad stats for a tagger though

Nee!
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Fantastic. He's a really good player!

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:Nice shot at Gold Coast - they were obviously a dysfunctional club under McKenna. How fitting he is now with Essendon & Worsfold and we all know what went on in their playing & coaching Eagles eras.

Is it any wonder both are happy to go to Essendon as they have a very low moral base when it comes to professional sport!
not sure what you're referring to.
both are happy to go to Essendon ?

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Love a good ol bashing of that bastard AFL Lovechild club. It's all about Gary and they couldn't give a stuff about the rest!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Ive got a lot of time for Mav. Still only 23. Tough as absolute nails and has genuine pace over 20m. Obviously one of the hardest blokes and trainers at the club. Seems fair.

My prediction: GC will remain the AFL's problem child and enfant terrible for decades to come.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Newly re-signed St Kilda enforcer Mav Weller says criticism of his directed at former coach Guy McKenna was taken out of context.
It was announced on Saturday that Weller, 23, had extended his contract with the Saints for a further two years, tying him to the club until the end of 2018.
In a story on the AFL website, Weller slammed McKenna, who coached the hard-nosed utility during his time at the Suns, which ended with his delisting at the end of 2013. Recounting his final year at the expansion club, Weller said his axing was a "blessing in disguise."
"I was always going to ask for a trade anyway and get out of there because I didn't believe in the club, didn't believe in the coach and just wanted to get out of there to further my footy," Weller said.
Advertisement

However speaking later on Saturday at a street Christmas party hosted by St Kilda in Brighton, Weller backtracked on his earlier words. "I was just asked a question - how I felt about my last year at the Gold Coast Suns. I just didn't enjoy it, just because of injury, I was a bit out of form and that sort of stuff. There was nothing spiteful towards Guy.
"I've got the utmost respect for him, and the club as well. They gave me the shot to live my AFL dream and I'm very grateful for that. [The story] was sort of a bit bended, and it is what it is
."

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/s ... z3u69to3vA
Follow us: @theage on Twitter | theageAustralia on Facebook

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Appears Mav is still carrying some baggage.

Get over it Mav.

Never bag your previous employer not matter the temptation.

Poor.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:Appears Mav is still carrying some baggage.

Get over it Mav.

Poor.
But it makes you feel so goooood

coopergrech
Club Player

Great news with Mav! Now his brother Lachie in 3 years time thanks :)

Darth Vader
Club Player

I actually enjoyed the positive things he said about our club more than the digs against the Suns. Says a bit about the environment we're creating.

Harves Man
Club Player

Great news and Mav's in the leadership group anyway. Says a lot about Bains, our recruitment and Richardson (all positive!), all at the same time. I'm a happy bunny.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Get over it Mav.

Poor.
I think its refreshing for a player to just speak off the cuff without using weasel words. He just said how he felt at the club - why pretend otherwise and lie. This fantasy that every club does everything right for every player is ludicrous. Sporting clubs are always messy, egotistical, competitive environments where some players work and some don't for a variety of reasons. GC have had a royal road pathed with gold talent by the AFL and are struggling to get a finals ready team together.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:

Get over it Mav.

Poor.
I think its refreshing for a player to just speak off the cuff without using weasel words. He just said how he felt at the club - why pretend otherwise and lie. This fantasy that every club does everything right for every player is ludicrous. Sporting clubs are always messy, egotistical, competitive environments where some players work and some don't for a variety of reasons. GC have had a royal road pathed with gold talent by the AFL and are struggling to get a finals ready team together.
You think it's refreshing and I think it's immature and sounded like sour grapes.

I don't think Richardson and Finns would have been impressed as you were.

When one of our players bags another club its honest and refreshing but when a ex player bags the Saints, it's treachery.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
snoopygirl
SS Life Member

SaintPav wrote:
Bluthy wrote:

Get over it Mav.

Poor.
You think it's refreshing and I think it's immature and sounded like sour grapes.

When one of our players bags another club its honest and refreshing but when a ex player bags the Saints, it's treachery.
Comments were taking out of context according to Mav today. Wouldn't be the first time the media have sensationalised comments.

The_Merchant
Club Player

After the loss to the dogs this year, where our kicking (and mavs) was a bit ordinary, he came back out on the ground about 30mins after the game and spent a good half hour to 45 mins kicking the footy with Adam Kingsley. He was the only player out there and I think it shows his commitment and hard work. Good to see it is paying off for him. I reckon he will turn into a key part of our midfield.

If at first you don't succeed, sky diving is not for you.
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
Bluthy wrote:

Get over it Mav.

Poor.

Personally I'd like to hear more from Ball on why he wanted to leave. I'm hoping one day we will get Watters side of the sacking. Its obviously only one perspective on things but it can give some really interesting insights into my footy club. If I was a GC supporter I'd find what Mav said fascinating. It might explain why McKenna was sacked just before GC look like becoming a finals team - shows perhaps he didn't have all the players playing for him. Whats wrong with players telling the truth from their perspective as long as they are not outright bagging their ex-club.

The papers are full of club PR crap these days. Its fascinating to get some real accounts of the nitty-gritty of club life - the good, the bad and the ugly. Players should be encouraged to express themselves honestly. It's fascinating stuff and supporters deserve the truth and insight not just bland, club approved statements designed to say nothing while saying something like politicians.

the dome
Club Player

Mav to continue his development in 2016

Glad Mav is still keen to play for St.Kilda.
At times Mav appeared very solid and dependable in 2015. I believe he will be able to continue his good beginning and take it to the next level.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Great to see...

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....