Aker

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

matrix
Saintsational Legend

Re: Aker

Triple prem player and brownlow medalist.
Part time role and getting him to help the young guys on the park with some of his knowledge in a part time role wouldn't be a bad thing.
Sure he has said some stupid stuff, but he wouldn't be hired for his public speaking and I'm sure ground rules and be put in place.
Can't see a problem

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:Triple prem player and brownlow medalist.
Part time role and getting him to help the young guys on the park with some of his knowledge in a part time role wouldn't be a bad thing.
Sure he has said some stupid stuff, but he wouldn't be hired for his public speaking and I'm sure ground rules and be put in place.
Can't see a problem
My question is did the Bulldogs think this too?

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Can't see a problem
Playing wise I agree, I think we could use some of his arrogance. The problem is he's been a human headline. He literally can't shut himself up as soon as a reporter shoves a microphone in his face. It was just back in July he was banging on about Goodes. Reporters would target him to get a controversial comment about what ever hot button topic or player is in the news. I can't see him keeping his lips sealed, he has never done that, why would he start now?

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:
saintbrat wrote:I find it interesting that he is almost running his own hire me recruitment campaign
For years saintbrat, he never had a manger whilst he was playing with Brisbane, and he was always able to negotiate some very good contracts that suited him then. So maybe he is still doing the same????

Don't think he is the dingbat some are making out on this site.............. admittedly he might appear an arrogant so & so and has demonstrated he can be a bit of a divisive personality in a team based sport, still I enjoy the way he says what he thinks, he's his own man, not the sanitised AFL clone many players become.

I know from a personal acquaintance he does a hell of a lot for the Deaf & Dumb community, both out of his own pocket and getting high end corporates to donate generously to their association. I have had to take my friend because of her disabilities to some of the functions he has been involved in. I was told it was his blunt, direct approach that got many movers & shakers to put their hands in the wallets. All of his good work here is unheralded. So on important social issues he isn't a blaggard, just a selfless worker for a deserving community.

His wife's (I assume he is still married to her) parents are both deaf & dumb.

So I know a side of Aker that I have considerable respect for, where he has demonstrated he is not a fool nor clueless........ plus I respected him as a very skilful footballer.

Don't know about him coaching the Saints tho', we are going to come under enough media scrutiny with the Flakey Jakey this season, without Aker's foot in mouth approach to add to the press frenzy :P :P
That may be the case but he's not a team player and is divisive. He didn't learn his lesson from the Brisbane Lions. Michael Clarke is of similar ilk, except he is a complete toss bag.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Saints43
Club Player

ripplug66 wrote: Seriously Con I thought you may get a joke especially as I said he has a drink but not much at all. Starting a fight. No. Starting a fight is having a go at someone for dare picking a player you have seen and who also happens to play at Sandy and having a go at that person. Especially when you now say Balic would be good for us. Funny. That is picking a fight not saying some joke about not getting a person who doesn't drink.
Yeah, it's hard to understand that someone may not understand what you write. The text above is like you took the My First Oxford dictionary and ran it through a blender.

ripplug66
Club Player

Saints43 wrote:
ripplug66 wrote: Seriously Con I thought you may get a joke especially as I said he has a drink but not much at all. Starting a fight. No. Starting a fight is having a go at someone for dare picking a player you have seen and who also happens to play at Sandy and having a go at that person. Especially when you now say Balic would be good for us. Funny. That is picking a fight not saying some joke about not getting a person who doesn't drink.
Yeah, it's hard to understand that someone may not understand what you write. The text above is like you took the My First Oxford dictionary and ran it through a blender.

Sad little man. Minus 2 now. What a life you must lead to find posts to just pot an unknown person. Wow. Where do we get one of those lives.

Saints43
Club Player

ripplug66 wrote:Sad little man. Minus 2 now. What a life you must lead to find posts to just pot an unknown person. Wow. Where do we get one of those lives.
What?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

And on and on it goes...

ripplug66
Club Player

Saints43 wrote:
ripplug66 wrote:Sad little man. Minus 2 now. What a life you must lead to find posts to just pot an unknown person. Wow. Where do we get one of those lives.
What?

Instead of commenting on the topic you waste your time finding my posts. Its all very sad. And it isn't working at points scoring unfortunately.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

No way, Jose! Don't want this grade A F-wit anywhere near our club.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
spert
Saintsational Legend

I guess old Aker just needs to point at his premiership medals on the shelf and say, ok show me what you guys have achieved down here at Seaford. We need all the expertise we can get.. be it loud mouths or conservative church-going ex-champions. For a club that has achieved very little in its history, we have suffered from trying to be politically correct in our dealings. We really needed more dickheads over the years- it never hurt Carlton, Essendon, Collingwood etc though I wouldn't recommend Tony Abbott for example. The Watters sacking was a good example of the tail wagging the dog and trying to force a coach speak the corporate speak. Loosen up Saints- Jake Carlisle will be a great player for us, and we just need to accept that some people just don't conform to what others expect off the field. Aker could be real asset as a development coach.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
Can't see a problem
Dunno
But that was a totally different role

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:
skeptic wrote:
Can't see a problem
Dunno
Who cares what the Bulldogs think. 1 flag in 120 years. Hardly a bunch of winners are they? The fact is they all shat themselves when confronted and had a big sook. What was Akers supposed crimes? Doing handstands for kids. Oh ooga booga. What a crime.
Last time I checked Aker was a teetotaller, hard core disciplined trainer who never missed a session and was a pefectionist on the track, married with kids and has never been in trouble with the police. You dont have to like him - but I dont think he is actually a bad bloke. And North Albury - wel lthat has to be a leveller. Cant be too many egos there.

ripplug66
Club Player

I still don't get the point of these types of threads. Aker isn't coming to us for one main reason. We don't have a spot. May as well start a thread called plugger and we can talk about him coming to us. The club also wouldn't want him which is probably also a pretty good reason he isn't coming to us. Loud mouths with no AFL coaching experience isn't what our club needs. leave that to the big clubs because if they fail no one cares. If he failed with us all our past failures will be dug up.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

what a shame his his christian name didn't start with an N

stevie
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:what a shame his his christian name didn't start with an N
Nason? :twisted:

markp
Saintsational Legend

Aker for PM.

You know it makes sense.

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:Aker for PM.

You know it makes sense.
Park Maintenance?

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
markp
Saintsational Legend

satchmo wrote:
markp wrote:Aker for PM.

You know it makes sense.
Park Maintenance?
Parking Manager/boom gate operator at seaford.

He'd be great value and good for a wave and quick joke as the boys arrived for training.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Let him strip off, do his handstands and give em somewhere to rest their ice cream cones.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:Let him strip off, do his handstands and give em somewhere to rest their ice cream cones.
Handy as an egg cup too, Doc :wink:

IanRush
SS Hall of Fame

Ironic that Aker asked for a job at Essendon, when he was so “anti-drugs” several years back...........

USELESS FACT: The WADA case against Essendon (in Sydney as well) is exactly 10 years to the day that Australia qualified for the 2006 FIFA World Cup.
ripplug66
Club Player

IanRush wrote:Ironic that Aker asked for a job at Essendon, when he was so “anti-drugs” several years back...........

Totally irrelevant now.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
matrix wrote:
skeptic wrote:
Can't see a problem
Dunno
Who cares what the Bulldogs think. 1 flag in 120 years. Hardly a bunch of winners are they? The fact is they all shat themselves when confronted and had a big sook. What was Akers supposed crimes? Doing handstands for kids. Oh ooga booga. What a crime.
Last time I checked Aker was a teetotaller, hard core disciplined trainer who never missed a session and was a pefectionist on the track, married with kids and has never been in trouble with the police. You dont have to like him - but I dont think he is actually a bad bloke. And North Albury - wel lthat has to be a leveller. Cant be too many egos there.
I'm not entirely opposed to having Aker as an assistant coach. The guy clearly knows his footy.

The query is this... The best indicator of future behaviour is past behaviour. Aker was moved from Brisbane because they felt his presence was destabilising.

At the time i thought it was a bit of a joke, as he pbly was one of few guys that didn't drink the Matthews/Voss cool aide.

Then, at the Bulldogs... Bam, sacked midseason for a similar reason. Disruptive.

So my question is... And i mean this as a question rather than a statement, what does Aker do if he has a gripe with AR's coaching or s particular player etc?

Do we trust that it doesn't become headlines?

St Igmata
Club Player

Aker would be great for any club in my opinion . Astute but says what he is thinking which most people can't take.