Pick 14

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Re: Pick 14

LTN16 wrote:Yeah agree Con we definetly need someone with a bit of outside pace.

Oliver is another inside mid isn't he? We have plenty of them already.
I reckon he's inside and outside. He's a bit like a Dangerfield or Sloan who win their own ball but are finishers as well. Oliver is a play maker and will take players on with his run and carry. I think you need those types in every team. Freeman will improve our pace in is going to help in that regard.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

saintbob wrote:14 - Darcey Tucker
45 - Kieran Lovell
68 - Bailey Rice

Delist - Farren Ray

I love Kieran Lovell, he will be a gun. Doubt he's still there after about pick 20 though. If he was 5 cm taler he'd be top 10 to 15. I prefer Ryan Clarke and Oliver though with 14.

silverhalo
Club Player

gringo wrote:
LTN16 wrote:Yeah agree Con we definetly need someone with a bit of outside pace.

Oliver is another inside mid isn't he? We have plenty of them already.
I reckon he's inside and outside. He's a bit like a Dangerfield or Sloan who win their own ball but are finishers as well. Oliver is a play maker and will take players on with his run and carry. I think you need those types in every team. Freeman will improve our pace in is going to help in that regard.
+1

It's Clayton Oliver for me in a canter. I haven't seen these kids play but have gone in and had a look at highlights footage of the guys that are being touted as the Saints' first pick, Tucker, Ah Chee, Clarke, Matthieson etc and no one comes close to Oliver in my humble opinion. He is very polished and is an absolute brute with his manic tackling and desire for the ball (something you can't teach) and there is still so much upside as he doesn't seem to have an AFL build yet (carrying a few extra KGs).

Come on trout, make it happen if he's still there at our pick!

Clayton Davis
Club Player

WinnersOnly wrote:...would be best available Clayton Oliver for me!
Sheeiiittt partner, yawl ken surely sey thet agin!

WinnersOnly wrote:...would be best available Clayton Oliver for me!
An' I see det ya deed. :lol:

Heh heh heh. Sheeeiiit, yawl ken nev-ah hev too men-ah Claytons!!! :D

Warning: Press only in situations of extreme disbelief!
######### http://shiiiit.com/ #########
####### Image #######

About a simple man who was horrifically punished by
the powers that be for the terrible crime of trying to
bring light to the common people.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Hard to go past Oliver (if he makes it to 14). So he didn't make the rep sides but who cares. It is pretty clear from watching him he is better than some of the ones with the better reputations who were good at 15/16. Oliver just dominates and if you include his draft testing and being 187cm - he just looks like an animal. 6 goals in the final TAC cup match!

Not looking good for 14 though:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-10-31/m ... op10-twist
CLAYTON Oliver's standout finish to the season has seen him rocket into top-10 calculations ahead of next month's NAB AFL Draft.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

What about this guy - Riley Bonner??
http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/playma ... 7590575334

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:What about this guy - Riley Bonner??
http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/playma ... 7590575334
I like him a lot.
My rationale is we have:

Armo, Ross, Acres, Sinclair, Dunstan (5) all as inside mids/clearance players.

Then we have

Steven, Freeman (2), ? outside.

I think we still need another outside player with good pace and kicking skills. So for me Bonner has to be under serious consideration at pick 14.

Now if we wanted Matho as a clearance player - we should have traded out one of those 5 names listed above.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Say it time and time again

In the first round... Never go for a type or an attribute... Just best projected player available...

Don't pick them on any specific ability or needs... Just who is the better player head to head...

Address needs through trades for proven players, FA or in the rookie draft....

If you just keep selecting high end all round talent in the first two selections of every draft... You'll end up with plenty of commodities to shape your club with ...

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

What if the next best player is a ruckman?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
ripplug66
Club Player

SaintPav wrote:What if the next best player is a ruckman?

Exactly. Of course you need to balance your list. Go for the best player that suits your needs unless a player is that far ahead. Pick 14 isn't going to be that far ahead of pick 15. get a player that suits your list.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

then, if you rate him ahead of the next player.... select him.

if it's line ball, take the required player.

you draft for a 10 - 15 year player... not for the next three years... what if the ruckman you overlook becomes Dean Cox for the team with the very next pick.... you overlook him, even though you rated him higher becuse your immediate needs took preference.

look further than that when you draft

That's the problem, people see a draftee for what they can produce ASAP... thats a silly notion. and it's about building commodities on your list, they are tradeble when building a team later on when youre close to contention.

Ie/ Hawthorns 3 flags were built on the 2001-2004 drafting period and trading and smart drafting thereafter.
Our big period 9- 10 was built upon drafting in the 98-02 draft period

Building a list needs a foundation of talent... not positions. if you forego a player of talent, for a player type
Ben McEvoy to me is a clear example of this error... att is was suggested he be draffted to StK because we needed a ruckman
We traded for two ruckmen straight after, chose one in the pre season, took one as a rookie and drafted one....

SuperDuper
Club Player

Grab best available.

Yes, ruckmen can be an exception to the rule, but basically, best available.

These players will get good in 3-5 years. It is not 100% clear what we will need then, other than good players.
No use getting an outside mid who plays for Sandy

Look at GWs pulling a surprise with MCarthy. Everyone said they were mad getting another KPF in the same draft when they got Boyd at no. 1. Does not seem so silly now

For example, if Burton is available at 14.. I say get him!

Joffa 5
Club Player

I wouldn't be surprised if we call Hipwood's name and see what the Lions do about activating their academy points. If they pass we'd get a 200cm athletic goal kicker who is from a passionate saints family. If they take him, we still get to pick the next best available.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Joffa 5 wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if we call Hipwood's name and see what the Lions do about activating their academy points. If they pass we'd get a 200cm athletic goal kicker who is from a passionate saints family. If they take him, we still get to pick the next best available.
I mentioned Hipwood a while back but no one warmed to him
Quality kid, with a desire to make make it & a lot of improvement left in him
reminds me of another tall lanky Qlder kid

Seeya
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

SuperDuper wrote:Grab best available.

Yes, ruckmen can be an exception to the rule, but basically, best available.

These players will get good in 3-5 years. It is not 100% clear what we will need then, other than good players.
No use getting an outside mid who plays for Sandy

Look at GWs pulling a surprise with MCarthy. Everyone said they were mad getting another KPF in the same draft when they got Boyd at no. 1. Does not seem so silly now

For example, if Burton is available at 14.. I say get him!
Hard to argue with that logic.

But by the same token - why was the club telling people they were fixed on Matho? Surely 'best available' logic dictates you wait and see who is available at your pick?
Pre-determining a player before you even know who is there seems to breach this logic.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

And yet again - more rankings. This time they have us taking Gresham. Mathieson, Ah Chee and Tucker also around our pick. Oliver and Milera probably will go earlier.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-pre ... 7590794404

I guess best available but with Sinclair, Lonie, Freeman and Steven - do we need any more midgets?

For what its worth (?) knightmare doesnt think much of Gresham but rates Oliver and Clarke highly.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/k ... c.1091303/

25. Jade Gresham (VIC – MID/FWD)
Height: 177cm, Weight: 74kg, DOB: 24/08/1997
Recruited from: Northern Knights
Reminds me of: Lewis TaylorBrief bio: Gresham is a high production small midfielder with a lot of ability and lots of strong performances through the TAC Cup these past two seasons for Northern. Gresham for a small strikes a good balance between finding the outside ball and winning the contested ball. His primary strength is his skillset which is clean, reliable and with a degree of creativeness showing good vision and decision making ability. In saying that with ball in hand he does look to overuse it and chip it around, kicking sideways rather than generating meaningful drive forward. Gresham is a capable finisher, showing that he can provide some scoreboard impact and he also has the cleanness and quickness at ground level so he may be able to start playing more minutes in the front half. Athletically Gresham is average and not on the level you’d expect for a small, with only average speed, agility and endurance, and in games while he will get to every contest he is not someone who will take on the game frequently or offer meaningful run and carry. Gresham is a light bodied so while he can win his own ball he also can be pushed out of the contest which will affect his contested ball winning ability at the next level. Similarly a tackling perspective Gresham has a go but requires more strength as his tackles can be broken. As a mark, Gresham is clean overhead and takes plenty of marks around the ground but v contact and 1v1 struggles.

B_O_N_D_Y

If Oliver is available he would be at the top of my list.. Will be an absolute gun.. And for those that think he is "just another inside mid", you are wrong! He is strong and powerful like Ollie Wines (almost impossible to bring him down in a tackle), he can tackle blokes like our beloved L Hayes (once he grabs you you're gone, no letting go) and although he isn't super speedy like Freeman, he is still quick.

He wins contested ball, he has the tank to get to more contests than most others. And he can take a contested mark and kick a goal but then the very next play he could crumb off the pack and kick a freak snap goal..

To top it off he has the quality that only the best footballers have.. The animal urge to win at all costs! HE IS A BEAST!

Whoever picks him (please be us) he will win games for them off his own boot and he will inspire his team mates to turn games on their head..

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

B_O_N_D_Y wrote:If Oliver is available he would be at the top of my list.. Will be an absolute gun.. And for those that think he is "just another inside mid", you are wrong! He is strong and powerful like Ollie Wines (almost impossible to bring him down in a tackle), he can tackle blokes like our beloved L Hayes (once he grabs you you're gone, no letting go) and although he isn't super speedy like Freeman, he is still quick.

He wins contested ball, he has the tank to get to more contests than most others. And he can take a contested mark and kick a goal but then the very next play he could crumb off the pack and kick a freak snap goal..

To top it off he has the quality that only the best footballers have.. The animal urge to win at all costs! HE IS A BEAST!

Whoever picks him (please be us) he will win games for them off his own boot and he will inspire his team mates to turn games on their head..
Then he's no chance of getting to the Saints

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Hard to see Oliver getting past pick 10 now I reckon. 6 goal final TAC match, Morrish Medal. Tested well at Draft camp. His last half of the season just blew everyone away.

SuperDuper
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:
But by the same token - why was the club telling people they were fixed on Matho? Surely 'best available' logic dictates you wait and see who is available at your pick?
Pre-determining a player before you even know who is there seems to breach this logic.
have they really told people that they are fixed on Matho?

Where did the rumour start?

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

SuperDuper wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

I doubt it.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Con Gorozidis wrote:Hard to see Oliver getting past pick 10 now I reckon. 6 goal final TAC match, Morrish Medal. Tested well at Draft camp. His last half of the season just blew everyone away.
Not our deft recruiters, though - who sneer at Morrish medals and goal-kicking midfielders - and think nothing of trading away pick 5.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

SuperDuper wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

The same people who apparently had us 100% locked in for Petracca I reckon. Chinese Whispers (is that racist?) distorts everything that is going on in the inner sanctum. If a name is mentioned it gets amplified by being repeated by scuttlebutters (word?) and then "consideration" becomes "we are damn hot for this kid".

loris
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:
SuperDuper wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

The same people who apparently had us 100% locked in for Petracca I reckon. Chinese Whispers (is that racist?) distorts everything that is going on in the inner sanctum. If a name is mentioned it gets amplified by being repeated by scuttlebutters (word?) and then "consideration" becomes "we are damn hot for this kid".
Maybe that Brian Speaking...... spoke his name :wink:

Some on here think whoever or whatever Brian Speaking is, he is the guru on what our recruiters are going to do!

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:
Bluthy wrote:
SuperDuper wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

Maybe that Brian Speaking...... spoke his name :wink:

Some on here think whoever or whatever Brian Speaking is, he is the guru on what our recruiters are going to do!
Yep grain of salt stuff I think.