Next years free agents

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Next years free agents

Just had a look on the AFL app at the free agents for next year. Not a lot that interested me.
Only
Daniel Rich
Steele sidebottom
Chris Masten
Kieren jack

Anyone think we should make a play for any. Or the other ones.
Sidebottom would be my favorite out of those

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Re: Next years free agents

Steele and Jack would be good

Nee!
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Goose is king wrote:Just had a look on the AFL app at the free agents for next year. Not a lot that interested me.
Only
Daniel Rich
Steele sidebottom
Chris Masten
Kieren jack

Slide bottom would be great!
Could teach Carlisle about self-reporting and other useful stuff!

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

I feel tired already.

Always loyal
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Goose is king wrote:Just had a look on the AFL app at the free agents for next year. Not a lot that interested me.
Only
Daniel Rich
Steele sidebottom
Chris Masten
Kieren jack

would rather try and get L Weller out of Freo at end of first contract

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
ripplug66
Club Player

saintbrat wrote:
Only
Daniel Rich
Steele sidebottom
Chris Masten
Kieren jack

would rather try and get L Weller out of Freo at end of first contract

He costs picks, they don't. And surely we all need to wait and see how he goes next year. If his name was Jones I don't think anyone would care.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Pretty uninspiring lot to choose from.

Seeing as FA's they'll generally be offered overs to switch over, none of those players are worth pushing salary cap space for.

We need a Dustin Martin type, who would be eligible the following year, notwithstanding contract restrictions.

In saying that, aside from Dustin, the draft class of 2009 is also pretty shallow when it comes to top shelf talent.

We might just have to keep developing our own and continue to trade/draft more cleverly than the rest.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

No, but because his name is Weller... We might be his 'destination club' as he'll nominate us...

The new catch phrase in the AFL

I know people from the Weller family (not Mav or Lachie) but understand how close they are like most small community families.

And the situation therefore is... He'll give us a bit of leverage in a trade situation... Ala Aish, Freeman, Dangerfield... Etc

I think he'd be handy at the right price... But reality is, he's not much different to many...

ripplug66
Club Player

Sobraz wrote:Pretty uninspiring lot to choose from.

Seeing as FA's they'll generally be offered overs to switch over, none of those players are worth pushing salary cap space for.

We need a Dustin Martin type, who would be eligible the following year, notwithstanding contract restrictions.

In saying that, aside from Dustin, the draft class of 2009 is also pretty shallow when it comes to top shelf talent.

We might just have to keep developing our own and continue to trade/draft more cleverly than the rest.
If we do as well as it seems this year then we will be ok without a FA. I think this year might be just the start of huge trading. I expect a record of players and picks to be turned over next year. That will give you a chance to grab a very good player especially if you are known as an improving club.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

ripplug66 wrote:

If we do as well as it seems this year then we will be ok without a FA. I think this year might be just the start of huge trading. I expect a record of players and picks to be turned over next year. That will give you a chance to grab a very good player especially if you are known as an improving club.
Yeah I reckon this was just the start of trade mania starting. It will increase as club come to terms with more fluid player movement. Even contracted players just decide they want out and seem to go where they want now. Anyway there is talk that we are already in the box seat with Sidebottom. Apparently we already have some interest from him- I heard that from someone with links to Collingwood who I would trust. The problem with it is Collingwood seem aware and not concerned...that makes me concerned. What's the catch?

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Has everyone forgotten Jaegar O'Meara already?? I would go for him hard, apparently his contract will be finished next year.

ripplug66
Club Player

borderbarry wrote:Has everyone forgotten Jaegar O'Meara already?? I would go for him hard, apparently his contract will be finished next year.

We can but he isn't a FA.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
ripplug66 wrote:

Yeah I reckon this was just the start of trade mania starting. It will increase as club come to terms with more fluid player movement. Even contracted players just decide they want out and seem to go where they want now. Anyway there is talk that we are already in the box seat with Sidebottom. Apparently we already have some interest from him- I heard that from someone with links to Collingwood who I would trust. The problem with it is Collingwood seem aware and not concerned...that makes me concerned. What's the catch?
2 strikes?
About as intelligent as our most recent acquisition, just been in a more arse covering environment!