What a surprise!!!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: What a surprise!!!!

Jacks Back wrote:Let's go back to one umpire and, while we're at it, how about THEY wear white and the football teams wear THEIR ACTUAL colours and jumpers and not the putrid white bulls*** away jumpers.

If 4 field umpires come in that would make 10 officials on the ground during a game, FFS!!!

There has been 4 umpires in about 5 games this year. Might help. Can't hurt. And if you honestly think we are being duded why wouldn't you want. One umpire. Please

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Jacks Back wrote:Let's go back to one umpire and, while we're at it, how about THEY wear white and the football teams wear THEIR ACTUAL colours and jumpers and not the putrid white bulls*** away jumpers.

If 4 field umpires come in that would make 10 officials on the ground during a game, FFS!!!

There has been 4 umpires in about 5 games this year. Might help. Can't hurt. And if you honestly think we are being duded why wouldn't you want. One umpire. Please
Duded? I'm a dude alright but why do you keep mentioning it? I agree- more people to %#&^ up the decisions. It's like getting Laurel and Hardy then inviting the there stooges along (note my ancient history reference to appeal to your outdatedness). We will end up having to have 3 players a side to fit the officials on soon. No wonder that simple kid was getting confused and wearing an umpire kit.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Duded? I'm a dude alright but why do you keep mentioning it? I agree- more people to %#&^ up the decisions. It's like getting Laurel and Hardy then inviting the there stooges along (note my ancient history reference to appeal to your outdatedness). We will end up having to have 3 players a side to fit the officials on soon. No wonder that simple kid was getting confused and wearing an umpire kit.

It's time you make sense. At the moment you are completely failing

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

It's time you make sense. At the moment you are completely failing

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

millarsaint wrote:Agree. The more umpires out there the less accountability there is and most likely less consistency. Four umpires is a joke. They are all second guessing one another, and the way they officiate leans toward technical interpretation rather than umpires umping by gut, something I'd rather much prefer because I think it's more likely to produce umpiring in line with the spirit of the rules (over technical interpretation). Main problem I have with state of umpiring is its aim to remove the imperfections in the game, over focus on technical interpretation, and the yawn that is the panels and tribunals. A good example is the goal review. You may get a slight increase in accuracy but you undermine the officials and reduce their confidence. And remove entirely the drama of human error, or human excellence, in the immediacy of the moment. I feel the same about cricket review system, and even the tennis. It's only sport at the end of the day it's really not that important, and the more we head down the current path the more we remove villains and heroes from the game. I personally don't mind whinging all week about an umpiring decision. Give me the howler - I like it in the game. Theatre. Even Hawkins hitting the post in 2009 - I like the drama of this, and as your post above suggests, it's not why we lost the game. Remove the imperfections in the game and get rid of the bounce entirely! Get stuffed imo. Why not just bounce it and that's it get on with it. A dud bounce, it's drama, it's mildly amusing, if it goes your way then good, if not you suffer in your jocks, it's still equal isn't it? Put some pressure on the man in white to get the bounce right. Make him bloody well practice it until his back and shoulders hurt. And by doing so you keep the job satisfaction in the game for the umpires, as well as spectacle satisfaction for the supporters.

Really good post.

The other thing I'll add is that it was better pre-vid reviews because if there was a bad decision... ala the infamous Aussie Jones behind Vs Brisbane in 04... after an initial irritation, you get over it and accept it as part of the game.
Now it feels as though we live in an era where we have to respond to every minor problem in force.

It's quite tiresome

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

we have walked over a chinamans grave ..we deserve everything we get.

we are the victims of a massive conspiracy devised by those in power to make our lives a misery .... our plight is hopeless ...i may just turn to drink.