What a surprise!!!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

What a surprise!!!!

Who's shocked that the StKilda affiliate was robbed of victory by two blatant umpire mistakes. What a disgrace.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Wrote for Luck
Club Player

Re: What a surprise!!!!

you'll never see a better example of pulling on a markers' arm than what happened to DMac.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

millarsaint wrote:you'll never see a better example of pulling on a markers' arm than what happened to DMac.
Yeah shocking miss by the umpire.

Junior
Club Player

Dog hot a fright as I threw the newspaper across the other side of the room.

Blatant, type of incident they would put in the DVD to demonstrate pulling of the markers arm.

A champion team will always beat a team of champions.
GSG
Club Player

CURLY wrote:Who's shocked that the StKilda affiliate was robbed of victory by two blatant umpire mistakes. What a disgrace.
Hey Curly - you will love this article in today's Age by Leaping Larry:

There is a man seated in a chair reading. He looks like he probably would be relaxing, if it weren't for the cat seated on the floor right near his feet, staring up at him, for no readily apparent reason, with a googly-eyed intensity that is driving the man to distraction.
The image is a mid-70s cartoon by the artist, B. Kliban. The caption underneath: "Cats can see things we can't."
Similarly, umpires.
You can check out any AFL match and see this: an umpire 10 or 15 metres off the ball, staring in an intense, abstracted fashion at the play, as one of your guys is tackled powerfully somewhere in the region of his nose, or has his back treated like it was a trampoline at a kids' party as he is ploughed into the turf like barley.
The ump then calls a ball-up. And as you emit a bellow of incomplete sentence fragments and swear words, what you're thinking is something along these lines: "How could umpire Schmudnack have not seen such an obvious and extreme rule infraction when he was right there and looking directly at it? What on earth was he thinking?"
And, in a broader sense, this is indeed the great question of Australian rules football the past 15 or so years – what in the merry blue hell is the umpire thinking?
Observation of a wide variety of supporters at matches in 2015 reveals that, numerous times during any game, umpires will award a free kick without anyone for 20 rows in any direction even being able to even vaguely summon the skerrick of the ghost of a clue what incident, mirage or hallucination provoked the official's decision.
Just in case any of the official umpire wranglers, rules chieftains, commentators who've lost their minds/job descriptions and act as professional apologists for the umpires, or the big-brain posse at AFL Central, were inclined to wonder or care, this is the great legacy of football's modern age. Finally there's absolutely no bastard who knows what's going on.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

What a joke

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Agreed. It was a joke of a decision at a crucial part of the game.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

God help the childre

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:What a joke
Yep when a free a blind man would have seen is missed that costs a prelim it's a complete joke.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
Yep when a free a blind man would have seen is missed that costs a prelim it's a complete joke.

Cant remember the decision but you could be right it was incorrect as I saw one or tow that I thought were wrong and the also saw the same with Box Hill. There are a few options here. One you are the unluckiest supporter ever in that any side you follow has cheats umpiring them. That is the illogical option. The others are more luckily and it could be a combination of a few. You don't understand the rules and we have seen many examples of that. You look at the game with only one eye open and we have seen many examples of that and you fail to see any opposition errors and that is also someone that we have seen many examples of.

My guess is if you follow cricket you also get duded. Just an unlucky punter.

Freebird
Club Player

BS plug...Australia (cricket) over the last 20 years have had the rub of the green. Remember Warne, intimidated the umps and was rewarded most of the time.

St Kilda on the other hand consistantly lose out on the rub of the green / 50 50s

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Freebird wrote:BS plug...Australia (cricket) over the last 20 years have had the rub of the green. Remember Warne, intimidated the umps and was rewarded most of the time.

St Kilda on the other hand consistantly lose out on the rub of the green / 50 50s

I was talking about his local cricket. Don't you think its strange that his local footy side also get duded? Maybe he just watches games through one eye. Its strange that my local footy side seems to be treated fairly but we do have this one supporter who whinges about every decision. The problem is 90% of the time he is completely wrong but he thinks he is right. Even yesterday he was complaining about how unlucky he was when punting at the races and jockeys were pulling up his horses.
Last edited by plugger66 on Sun 20 Sep 2015 9:46am, edited 1 time in total.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

millarsaint wrote:you'll never see a better example of pulling on a markers' arm than what happened to DMac.
Totally agree and went Ballistic.

BUT

and

BUT

there was a very obvious holding the ball decision that should have done to Box Hill directly in front only minutes before

While I rant at the umpiring - I do not believe that it changes games - if you are far enough ahead - or good enough to recover - you win the game

It is a variable of the game

BUT

and

BUT

It does not help when blatant 50's like Mavs are ignored.

I just like to vent - and when the Umpires review comes back (read WCE game) and says we basically got it right - that's what p!sses me off.

Just call them.

In truth - I would rather back to the one umpire system - Sure more will get missed (for both sides) but the bl00dy interpretation will be the same for both teams.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Freebird wrote:BS plug...Australia (cricket) over the last 20 years have had the rub of the green. Remember Warne, intimidated the umps and was rewarded most of the time.

I was talking about his local cricket. Don't you think its strange that his local footy side also get duded? Maybe he just watches games through one eye. Its strange that my local footy side seems to be treated fairly but we do have this one supporter who whinges about every decision. The problem is 90% of the time he is completely wrong but he thinks he is right. Even yesterday he was complaining about how unlucky he was when punting at the races and jockeys were pulling up his horses.
Why do you make things up?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Why do you make things up?

Strange to quote that after a truthful post.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Wouldn't of thought.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:Wouldn't of thought.

What part isn't true. Now this will be interesting. Anyway its obvious that you are just unlucky in the sides you follow. I must be lucky with my local side.

mambo2706
Club Player

I didn't think the umpiring was too bad but that was a howler of a non call.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

mambo2706 wrote:
I didn't think the umpiring was too bad but that was a howler of a non call.
Yeah only cost Sandy the game is no biggy. A contest in full view of all umpires yet they ignore a clear free.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
CURLY wrote:

Cant remember the decision but you could be right it was incorrect as I saw one or tow that I thought were wrong and the also saw the same with Box Hill. There are a few options here. One you are the unluckiest supporter ever in that any side you follow has cheats umpiring them. That is the illogical option. The others are more luckily and it could be a combination of a few. You don't understand the rules and we have seen many examples of that. You look at the game with only one eye open and we have seen many examples of that and you fail to see any opposition errors and that is also someone that we have seen many examples of.

My guess is if you follow cricket you also get duded. Just an unlucky punter.

Yes yes Flanders, it's all part of gods great plan so don't question it. If you do question anything you are unfit to watch a manly sport like footy. Great argument, I'm now totally sold on your line toeing thing. I'll never point out a blatant stuff up from an umpire again. And anyway as you point out the other side always gets it worse than us anyway. We were lucky to get a free kick in Western Australia.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Age please or at least make sense and actually reply to what I said

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

Sainter_Dad wrote:
Totally agree and went Ballistic.

BUT

and

BUT

there was a very obvious holding the ball decision that should have done to Box Hill directly in front only minutes before

While I rant at the umpiring - I do not believe that it changes games - if you are far enough ahead - or good enough to recover - you win the game

It is a variable of the game

BUT

and

BUT

It does not help when blatant 50's like Mavs are ignored.

I just like to vent - and when the Umpires review comes back (read WCE game) and says we basically got it right - that's what p!sses me off.

Just call them.

In truth - I would rather back to the one umpire system - Sure more will get missed (for both sides) but the bl00dy interpretation will be the same for both teams.
Agree. The more umpires out there the less accountability there is and most likely less consistency. Four umpires is a joke. They are all second guessing one another, and the way they officiate leans toward technical interpretation rather than umpires umping by gut, something I'd rather much prefer because I think it's more likely to produce umpiring in line with the spirit of the rules (over technical interpretation). Main problem I have with state of umpiring is its aim to remove the imperfections in the game, over focus on technical interpretation, and the yawn that is the panels and tribunals. A good example is the goal review. You may get a slight increase in accuracy but you undermine the officials and reduce their confidence. And remove entirely the drama of human error, or human excellence, in the immediacy of the moment. I feel the same about cricket review system, and even the tennis. It's only sport at the end of the day it's really not that important, and the more we head down the current path the more we remove villains and heroes from the game. I personally don't mind whinging all week about an umpiring decision. Give me the howler - I like it in the game. Theatre. Even Hawkins hitting the post in 2009 - I like the drama of this, and as your post above suggests, it's not why we lost the game. Remove the imperfections in the game and get rid of the bounce entirely! Get stuffed imo. Why not just bounce it and that's it get on with it. A dud bounce, it's drama, it's mildly amusing, if it goes your way then good, if not you suffer in your jocks, it's still equal isn't it? Put some pressure on the man in white to get the bounce right. Make him bloody well practice it until his back and shoulders hurt. And by doing so you keep the job satisfaction in the game for the umpires, as well as spectacle satisfaction for the supporters.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
Freebird
Club Player

Don't want 4 umps...StKilda who consistantly comes out second best with 50 / 50 decisions would want less frees paid not more.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Let's go back to one umpire and, while we're at it, how about THEY wear white and the football teams wear THEIR ACTUAL colours and jumpers and not the putrid white bulls*** away jumpers.

If 4 field umpires come in that would make 10 officials on the ground during a game, FFS!!!

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:Let's go back to one umpire and, while we're at it, how about THEY wear white and the football teams wear THEIR ACTUAL colours and jumpers and not the putrid white bulls*** away jumpers.

If 4 field umpires come in that would make 10 officials on the ground during a game, FFS!!!

There has been 4 umpires in about 5 games this year. Might help. Can't hurt. And if you honestly think we are being duded why wouldn't you want. One umpire. Please