2015 - Draft & Trade Thread

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Re: 2015 - Draft & Trade Thread

mambo2706 wrote:
Old Mate wrote:
saintjake wrote:
Old Mate wrote:I still cannot believe we extended Hickey's contract. He & our 2nd would've been perfect for Carlisle.
Ever thought that we extended his contract so that he COULDN'T just walk? At 24 he hardly played this year, wouldn't surprise me if he wanted out for more opportunities
He was already contracted for next year. We extended it.
Ben McEvoy was traded even though he had 2 years to run on his contract. If a player and club both agree that player can still be traded.
Hickey extended his contract like a month ago he ain't going anywhere. It would be different if he signed 13 months ago. Use some common sense.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Devilhead wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Devilhead wrote:
St Ick wrote:
Devilhead wrote:Rumoured that we rate our top 5 in the draft well ahead of the rest of the draft class and that Schache isnt considered to be in our top 5

No mention of whether any academy players are in this top 5

So here's my guess

Weitering
Mills
Hopper
Parish
Tucker
I'd be very surprised if Matho and Francis were not in there.
Mills, Hopper and Parish are the three best mids in the draft according to most in the know and Weitering is considered the stand out KP

I put in Tucker as he provides outside skill and run and can accumulate and his highly likely to move into the midfield

Mathieson was the only other player I was considering for the last position but he is more inside and Mills and Hopper are better propositions in his type of role

Not sold on Francis myself - seems neither here nor there - could hold down a KP and might transfer into the midfield but not a pure KP or a pure mid

As it stands it is most definite that Weitering will go before our pick (to Carlton from all reports) and Mills and Hopper will go to Sydney and GWS respectively which leaves us with Parish and Tucker (Schache will go to Brisbane)

Tucker should still be available at pick 5 but GC or Essendon could pounce on Parish - Mathieson should be available and Francis likely to be as well

Curnow is another draftee that has been mentioned but like Francis there is no guarantee that he will move into the midfield - that said his skill set might appeal to GC or Essendon which would allow Parish to slide to us

Either way pick 5 will net us a great prospect (if we keep it for the draft ..... cough ..... cough ..... Kelly)

It wont be for Kelly but its a huge chance for Carlisle. I don't think we will use it myself unless we can trade a reasonably good player and use our second pick as well.
Given that Carlisle does NOT want to be playing in an Essendon jumper next year if no other club comes calling for Carlisle then Essendon are stuffed because they will likely lose him to Carlton in the PSD if they do not trade with us

Even if another club does come calling its absolutely no guarantee that Carlisle will want to be traded to them especially if they do not match our offer (which is supposedly very good)

As it stands Carlisle
- is uncontracted and does not want to play for Essendon
- has a WADA ban potentially hanging over his head
- has inconsistent recent form (not in Essendons top 10 B&F)

Carlisle might have implied that he wants Essendon to at least get something decent in return however if he is that desperate to leave then he might have to consider taking less money at a club that might offer Essendon more than what we are offering - so taking that in account dear Mr Carlisle -

North Melbourne can give Essendon pick 14 in return for your services but they are only going to be able to pay you 500,000 a year or

St Kilda will gve Essendon pick 24 in return for your services but the contract on the table is worth 650,000 a year

Where do you think Carlisle will want to go??

Carlisle will go where the money is (95% of players in the AFL would) - I very much doubt the difference between pick 14 and pick 25 will trouble his conscience when push comes to shove.

Obviously right know Carlisle is keeping his options open hoping that a bidding war might break out and push his contract price up and that Essendon might also get better a deal but currently we hold all the cards unless of course another club comes calling with a huge contract and a high draft pick, Carlisle grows a conscience a takes less money so Essendon can get a better deal or he decides to stay with Essendon

Hey Essendope here's pick 24 - take it or leave it - because they will definitely not want to lose him for nothing

We got screwed with Ball and we got screwed with Cripps ...... bout time we do a bit of screwing
The first thing is we wont have pick 24 unless we trade for it. Second he is worth much more than that. Third is most players who swap clubs are OOC but still get true value. Fourth is he wont want to completely stuff Essendon up so if one club offers a lot more than us he will probably go there especially if its in Victoria. The only thing I will give you is WADA but its seems he like most will get about 4 weeks if they are even found guilty so no effect if its a 4 or 5 year contract.

As for us getting screwed previously well that has exactly naught to do with this trade. The saints want him. That is clear. It seems to me there will be some vewry disappointed people here because I think the best we can do is get their second round back for our first round but to me it seems nearly certain we will lose that pick.

And I wish someone could explain how we hold the cards. He hasn't even said he wants to come to us. We have said we are interested in him. If someone can come up with a player with his potential that went for about pick 28 I'm happy to hear.
I reckon that Ryder was probably ahead on out put and he got them about a second rounder from memory. Carlisle has been pretty average since the drugs wore off.

Firstly the drugs thing is obviously a joke. Surely. Secondly I think you need to check their ages. I again ask the question and I'm doubting there is an answer. Anyway it matters little what we think players are worth. I'm mean people think Saad, Saunders and Curren have value. By the way Ryder also had a pretty ordinary last year.

mambo2706
Club Player

Old Mate wrote:
mambo2706 wrote:
Old Mate wrote:
saintjake wrote:
Old Mate wrote:I still cannot believe we extended Hickey's contract. He & our 2nd would've been perfect for Carlisle.
Ever thought that we extended his contract so that he COULDN'T just walk? At 24 he hardly played this year, wouldn't surprise me if he wanted out for more opportunities
He was already contracted for next year. We extended it.
Ben McEvoy was traded even though he had 2 years to run on his contract. If a player and club both agree that player can still be traded.
Hickey extended his contract like a month ago he ain't going anywhere. It would be different if he signed 13 months ago. Use some common sense.
I hope Hickey stays and I think he will but I'm just pointing out that contracted players can be traded. For the record I think Hickey is by far our best ruckman but I know many would disagree.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:Why has this Kelly rumour not be reported whatsoever in the press? It seems completely baseless.
It has been rumoured that we have approached GWS about Kelly's availability

Pretty sure it has also been mentioned in an article or two as well that we have interest - dont ask me to find it

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:
FQF wrote:Why has this Kelly rumour not be reported whatsoever in the press? It seems completely baseless.
It has been rumoured that we have approached GWS about Kelly's availability

Pretty sure it has also been mentioned in an article or two as well that we have interest - dont ask me to find it
It was mentioned on afl.com in the 'if' & 'then' (I think it's called) column written by Damien Barrett.

It was again mentioned on afl.com on 'dream trades' for St Kilda & said we'd give up pick 5 & a future 2nd rounder.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:The first thing is we wont have pick 24 unless we trade for it.
Apologies I meant our 2nd rounder - i cant have been more than 2 picks off
plugger66 wrote: Second he is worth much more than that.

In your opinion
plugger66 wrote: Third is most players who swap clubs are OOC but still get true value.
Define true value??
plugger66 wrote:Fourth is he wont want to completely stuff Essendon up so if one club offers a lot more than us he will probably go there especially if its in Victoria.
Money talks - giving Essendon a 2nd rounder over a 1st rounder isnt exactly "stuffing them up" considering Carlisle is uncontracted, doesnt want to be there, is under the WADA shadow and has inconsistent form
plugger66 wrote:The only thing I will give you is WADA but its seems he like most will get about 4 weeks if they are even found guilty so no effect if its a 4 or 5 year contract.
Who knows what WADA has in mind - you and I certainly dont
plugger66 wrote:As for us getting screwed previously well that has exactly naught to do with this trade. The saints want him. That is clear. It seems to me there will be some vewry disappointed people here because I think the best we can do is get their second round back for our first round but to me it seems nearly certain we will lose that pick.
Us getting screwed previously has much to do with our future trading as other clubs will start to see us as a soft target and think that they can get one over us knowing that we will probably fold when push comes to shove
plugger66 wrote:And I wish someone could explain how we hold the cards. He hasn't even said he wants to come to us. We have said we are interested in him. If someone can come up with a player with his potential that went for about pick 28 I'm happy to hear.
We currently hold the cards in that no other team has yet to come in for Carlisle and matched our rumoured generous offer - as stated previously he and his manager are likely waiting to see if any other club stumps up and matches our offer - if not then he is most likely to nominate us as money talks and talks and talks and talks- obviously there is still a bit of water to flow under the bridge but currently our poo stick is out in front we just have to wait and see what last card in any gets flopped on the river

Gershwin
Club Player

"Nathan Hrovat is 'on the loose' according to Greg Denham on 1116 SEN, with Melbourne and St Kilda chasing the Bulldogs midfielder. ‪#‎AFLTrades‬"

summertime and the living is easy ........
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:
plugger66 wrote:The first thing is we wont have pick 24 unless we trade for it.
Apologies I meant our 2nd rounder - i cant have been more than 2 picks off
plugger66 wrote: Second he is worth much more than that.

In your opinion
plugger66 wrote: Third is most players who swap clubs are OOC but still get true value.
Define true value??
plugger66 wrote:Fourth is he wont want to completely stuff Essendon up so if one club offers a lot more than us he will probably go there especially if its in Victoria.
Money talks - giving Essendon a 2nd rounder over a 1st rounder isnt exactly "stuffing them up" considering Carlisle is uncontracted, doesnt want to be there, is under the WADA shadow and has inconsistent form
plugger66 wrote:The only thing I will give you is WADA but its seems he like most will get about 4 weeks if they are even found guilty so no effect if its a 4 or 5 year contract.
Who knows what WADA has in mind - you and I certainly dont
plugger66 wrote:As for us getting screwed previously well that has exactly naught to do with this trade. The saints want him. That is clear. It seems to me there will be some vewry disappointed people here because I think the best we can do is get their second round back for our first round but to me it seems nearly certain we will lose that pick.
Us getting screwed previously has much to do with our future trading as other clubs will start to see us as a soft target and think that they can get one over us knowing that we will probably fold when push comes to shove
plugger66 wrote:And I wish someone could explain how we hold the cards. He hasn't even said he wants to come to us. We have said we are interested in him. If someone can come up with a player with his potential that went for about pick 28 I'm happy to hear.
We currently hold the cards in that no other team has yet to come in for Carlisle and matched our rumoured generous offer - as stated previously he and his manager are likely waiting to see if any other club stumps up and matches our offer - if not then he is most likely to nominate us as money talks and talks and talks and talks- obviously there is still a bit of water to flow under the bridge but currently our poo stick is out in front we just have to wait and see what last card in any gets flopped on the river

Our pick will be about 28. True value is market value. Name all these OOC players that have gone cheaply. Doesn't happen. Still don't get your point about being screwed. Essendon don't care. It seems we want Carlisle. You can stick to your fantasy that pick 28 will get it done. I will stick to my opinion that he is certainly worth more and will certainly cost more. And what is our generous offer. Seems you made something up or believe rumours.

Simple point is pick 28 doesn't get players like Carlisle. Happy for you or anyone else to come up with any player even slightly close to that pick who the industry knows has ability like him and is a KPP. I doubt anyone will find one. He will cost a first rounder unless we gave them Hickey or Longer. We may with luck get their second rounder back for our first rounder. That is the best outcome but pick 28 alone is fanciful.

footynut
Club Player

So we've established that this year's draft looks fairly thin, so I hope we are aim to secure Most of the players mentioned above. So let's offerm:

Our first round pick for Kelly and there second round pick
Our second round pick for Carlisle if not take him in the psd
GWS' second round pick for aish (we may need to sweeten this deal with a player, maybe Geary or Tom Lee)
One of our Rickman for for horitz (dogs) + there second round pick
and our third round for Nathan Freeman (pies)

Now that would be an awesome trade period!!!
We would not only address our midfield issues but also have a spine to develop.

derby Street
Club Player

Not a hope in hell - but dream on. I like your optimism.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Our pick will be about 28. True value is market value.
Who or what defines market value??

Cause its certainly not your opinion
plugger66 wrote: Name all these OOC players that have gone cheaply. Doesn't happen.
Cripps for one, Bruce another

Going back through the last few years trades there seems that plenty of teams got good players cheaply who have then gone on to have really good seasons with their new clubs - i would argue that it does happen but it seems your "market value" differs from mine

plugger66 wrote: Still don't get your point about being screwed. Essendon don't care. It seems we want Carlisle. You can stick to your fantasy that pick 28 will get it done. I will stick to my opinion that he is certainly worth more and will certainly cost more.
I guess it depends on how desperate we are to get him but he certainly doesnt have to cost more if no other team come knocking because Essendon cannot afford to lose him for absolutely nothing
plugger66 wrote: And what is our generous offer. Seems you made something up or believe rumours.
Who the hell knows but it has been reported that we have put forth a generous offer - you can believe it or not
plugger66 wrote: Simple point is pick 28 doesn't get players like Carlisle. Happy for you or anyone else to come up with any player even slightly close to that pick who the industry knows has ability like him and is a KPP.
Are you talkng about KPP who has a drug ban hanging over his head, didnt come in the top 10 of his clubs B&F and hates the club he is currently trying to leave??

Crameri went to the Dogs for pick 26 and you could argue that he is a KPP - over 190cm and was Essendons leading goalkicker in the 3 seasons prior to him leaving and WB leading goalkicker in his first season with them

As I see it Carlisle could be hit or miss - he might have a great season a few years back but since then he has been super inconsistent and he seemingly has an attitude problem - he might have the physical ability but his mental strength seems somewhat lacking to consistently produce the goods which you would hope a first rounder would give you especially when you are spending it on an already established player

Question for you - if no other team come knocking for Carlisle and he nominates us but Essendon dont like our offer - what happens??

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Our pick will be about 28. True value is market value.
Who or what defines market value??

Cause its certainly not your opinion
plugger66 wrote: Name all these OOC players that have gone cheaply. Doesn't happen.
Cripps for one, Bruce another

Going back through the last few years trades there seems that plenty of teams got good players cheaply who have then gone on to have really good seasons with their new clubs - i would argue that it does happen but it seems your "market value" differs from mine

plugger66 wrote: Still don't get your point about being screwed. Essendon don't care. It seems we want Carlisle. You can stick to your fantasy that pick 28 will get it done. I will stick to my opinion that he is certainly worth more and will certainly cost more.
I guess it depends on how desperate we are to get him but he certainly doesnt have to cost more if no other team come knocking because Essendon cannot afford to lose him for absolutely nothing
plugger66 wrote: And what is our generous offer. Seems you made something up or believe rumours.
Who the hell knows but it has been reported that we have put forth a generous offer - you can believe it or not
plugger66 wrote: Simple point is pick 28 doesn't get players like Carlisle. Happy for you or anyone else to come up with any player even slightly close to that pick who the industry knows has ability like him and is a KPP.
Are you talkng about KPP who has a drug ban hanging over his head, didnt come in the top 10 of his clubs B&F and hates the club he is currently trying to leave

Crameri went to the Dogs for around a mid 30 pick and you could argue that he is a KPP - has kicked bags of goals as well

As I see it Carlisle could be hit or miss - he might have a great season a few years back but since then he has been super inconsistent and he seemingly has an attitude problem - he might have the physical ability but his mental strength seems somewhat lacking to consistently produce the goods which you would hope a first rounder would give you especially when you are spending it on an already established player

Question for you - if no other team come knocking for Carlisle and he nominates us but Essendon dont like our offer - what happens??

Stop quoting. It may look impressive but when you read the answers it loses credibility. If you arging Crameri is a KPP player you lose even more credibility. By the way are they similar ages when both want to leave? And Carlisle could be a hit or a miss. Just words that mean nothing. And where was it reported be gave a generous offer. And I like the names of players who have gone cheaply because they are OOC. Pity they went cheaply because they just did and it had nothing to do with OOC. Probably more their ability at the time. Hickey was OOC. He wasn't cheap. He was overpriced.

If no one comes knocking for Carlisle we should give a round 4 pick. What if no one wants Dangerfield?

There is no way we are getting Carlisle for pick 28 no matter how much you argue or quote. Would you take Kelly at pick 5?

matrix
Saintsational Legend

How dare you break down the quote and answer each individual question.
You should be ashamed for trying to have a decent convo.

8-)

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:How dare you break down the quote and answer each individual question.
You should be ashamed for trying to have a decent convo.

8-)

Issues and never been. Sad really.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

What's sad is you cant string four words together and get them to make sense.

So he decided to select quote and answer each point and that's no good???
Of course it isn't :roll:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:What's sad is you cant string four words together and get them to make sense.

So he decided to select quote and answer each point and that's no good???
Of course it isn't :roll:

Confirmed. Never been. Sad. You can select quote all you like but if the answers are rubbish they are still rubbish. It would impress those who have never been or live in alternate world.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

I rest my case.......

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:I rest my case.......
You don't have a case to rest. Why don't you come out with another surprising comment like you normally do. Has Harvey retired or something like that? Don't they have papers,TV or radio in your side of the world?

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Cripps was taken at 25 but was traded when OOC for picks in the 40's.

Somehow managed to lose so much value but funnily enough is in the WCE 22 who are in a PF.

God you talk BS P66 when your argument has been exposed :roll:

Last year Essendon wanted Wingard and a top ten pick for a contracted Ryder. Got 17.

He wasn't even OOC.

Fair Dinkum how many times can you be proven wrong but still argue your case?

You are garbage - Enough said
evo
Club Player

Brian Speaking has just got Big Footy in hysteria mode.
Last edited by evo on Fri 18 Sep 2015 6:37pm, edited 1 time in total.

santazzi
Club Player

evo wrote:Brian Speaking has just got Big Footy in meltdown
What about Evo??

evo
Club Player

Just saying deals are being done but he wont divulge anything yet. They think (or hope) its Kelly.

citywest

Straight swap.....Hickey for Carlisle. I'd be happy with this. We need a KPD and they need a first ruck. This would be a win win for both clubs IMHO.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

santazzi wrote:
evo wrote:Brian Speaking has just got Big Footy in meltdown
What about Evo??
SFA just Brian stirring the pot

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

citywest wrote:Straight swap.....Hickey for Carlisle. I'd be happy with this. We need a KPD and they need a first ruck. This would be a win win for both clubs IMHO.
:roll:

Sure you dont want to trade our B&F?
:x