2015 - Draft & Trade Thread

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Gershwin
Club Player

Re: Trade Rumours

stjay wrote:Been reading the mail from Brian on BF and he has suggested that we need to get ready for a trade of a well liked player.
He is suggesting the Carlisle trade will be 2nd round pick & a player - he mentioned Ross but I don't think he meant him as the "well liked player" that's others' interpretation and that comment was made seperate from the Carlisle trade.
Hence the reason why people are throwing Hickey's name into the mix.

Brian also mentioned we were big into Aish which, if we accept the club is determined to hang onto pick 5, is where I think a "well liked player" could be involved.
It would require a straight swap, quality for quality and it won't be one of our 1st round kids.
There aren't too many names that immediate jump out but I think he is talking about Newnes.
Leadership group or not it won't be a barrier to trading him if Aish nominates us - think of McEvoy.
Looking at it dispassionately you're trading a pick 37 from 2011 for a pick 7 from 2013 who came fourth in the NAB Rising Star.
Jack is a very solid contributor but still didn't crack it for the top 10 in the B&F and plays a position we can cover. He does have leadership quality, he has a great work ethic and he has the most important thing CURRENCY.
The club will quite rightly think they are trading a solid B grader who might have the potential to be A grade for a young kid who has already shown A grade qualities albeit this year was a write off due to speculation on his future.
I think once a player is drafted the pick number becomes irrelevant. Newnes was a good pick up at 37 and is playing above his pick. Aish is playing below his pick at 7. Newnes is showing loyalty to his club, Aish is not. Our club will show an incredible lack of maturity if they swap the sort of player they have picked and are developing and has committed to the club for a gun-slinger who will go anywhere for the money.

On another note let's draw a line in the sand and see whether anything Brian says actually eventuates.

summertime and the living is easy ........
tony74
SS Hall of Fame

LTN16 wrote:I've always rated Talia from Bulldogs, gets a lot of the ball for a tall defender.

Interesting.. Tony74 said a few weeks back that Carslise was a done deal to Carlton so we'll wait an see..
Geez, I like to know where you pulled that one from. Have never ever mentioned any trades. And to be absolutely honest would never post any "knowledge" on a public forum.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Re: Trade Rumours Extra

Really hard to know. Thy are drip feeding delistings so we have no idea how many spots are available on our list

Makes it hard to guess who/if we will dump for trading also

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote:
LTN16 wrote:I've always rated Talia from Bulldogs, gets a lot of the ball for a tall defender.

Interesting.. Tony74 said a few weeks back that Carslise was a done deal to Carlton so we'll wait an see..
Geez, I like to know where you pulled that one from. Have never ever mentioned any trades. And to be absolutely honest would never post any "knowledge" on a public forum.
Do you read big footy?

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

We certainly can afford to lose Seb because of how he plays. We have enough of them. The question is what would we get for him. Around a mid 20's pick in a weak draft and hasn't set the world alight. Only going to get a high second rounder or a third rounder. Maybe just keep unless someone shocks us.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote:

It was MadSaintsFan that said Carlisle to the blues was a done deal.

SMS
Club Player

Hickey is 25
Longer is 21

Much more upside with longer. Hickey is ok but OK doesnt win you flags

If we can off load Hickey, Saunders, our Picks and Ross (who we have heaps of) and get Carlisle Freeman Talia Kelly and Aish?

We could win the flag in 2018. And reiwoldt still here.

Is there any chance we couldnpull this off?

SMS
Club Player

Not Newnes. I would be very sad to see Newnes go. He is too good a leader and gives effort every week.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

evo wrote:
SainterK wrote:So who is Brian?

I can say with confidence we have players on the trade table, does that make me in the know? ;)
He was on the money with the Watters sacking and McCartin as our first pick.
Big fail on Jeremy Cameron coming to St Kilda

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Really like the idea of Aish. If we could snag him under the pies nose I'd be stoked. Supposedly very good mates with dunstan and sharenberg - imagine if we got all 3 back together?!

Not so keen on a player plus 2nd pick for Carlisle

Carlisle is an out of contract player looking to leave...why be mr nice guy at st kilda? I reckon it's a straight swap for Ross or a 2nd rounder but not both

Maybe Ross and a 3rd rounder take it or leave it

#1 Ryder fan
Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

If it's Ross. Do it now.

Ross is expendable. Can have White and Mark worth as well

You are garbage - Enough said
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:If it's Ross. Do it now.

Ross is expendable. Can have White and Mark worth as well
Plus Sippa, Murdoch and Saunders!

Playon
Club Player

No it as jaxons who said it back in August, he seemed pretty confident about it.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

I'm Brian, and so is my wife.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

SMS wrote:Hickey is 25
Longer is 21

Much more upside with longer. Hickey is ok but OK doesnt win you flags

If we can off load Hickey, Saunders, our Picks and Ross (who we have heaps of) and get Carlisle Freeman Talia Kelly and Aish?

We could win the flag in 2018. And reiwoldt still here.

Is there any chance we couldnpull this off?
We won't win the flag in 2018. Too early for that.

If things go swimmingly, we may be top 4 by then and make a prelim, but I reckon even that is a pipe dream

mambo2706
Club Player

Playon wrote:

No it as jaxons who said it back in August, he seemed pretty confident about it.
Correct. It was jaxons - not MadSaintsFan or tony74
You can all relax he has been done and dusted to Carlton for some time now.
Definitely won't be at the Saints.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=89382&start=50

lefty
Club Player

Hickey > Longer

Ross needs to stay

I won't loose too much sleep over Geary + Gilbo

And I'll burn the club down if they offload Newnes...

Honestly don't care about Carlisle, Aish is OK but hasn't shown anything to make me go wow...

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

Playon wrote:

Sorry my bad! Got the two of them mixed up. Jaxons is usually on the money isn't he?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I'm missing something with Newnes I think?

I see he gets a bit of ball these days, but does he impact games?

Given how they vote for the B&F, I don't think his coaches think he does much either.

He is the sort of guy who may bite us on the butt if we traded him, or he could be like Ben, where he may of hit his potential and it's a calculated decision to offload him.

I like him, don't get me wrong, really level headed kid...but what if a few years in this is what you get?

SMS
Club Player

IF we got those 5 players and they became their potential, then why couldnt we win the flag in 2018?

Reiwoldt would still be playing and playing well. Why do people assume reiwoldt will retire soon? Hes running around like a 25 year old. So in 2 years he'll suddenly be a cripple?

Savage. Carlisile. Roberton
Acres Goddard. Webster
Freeman. Kelly. Aish
Billings. Bruce. Sinclair
Lonie. McCartin. Reiwoldt

Longer. Steven. Armitage

Dunstan. Weller. McKenzie. *Free Agent

What a team. Granted Acres needs to pick up but his talent and height will come through. Just a bit of readjusting from home I hear. You try moving 3000kms at 18 years of age to a place you know NO ONE!!

SMS
Club Player

Yeah will need more speed and ruckman but come on DREAM FFS

Playon
Club Player

He's just a naughty boy

Playon
Club Player

LTN16 wrote:
Playon wrote:

Sorry my bad! Got the two of them mixed up. Jaxons is usually on the money isn't he?
He's been right in the past, but he hasn't made any further comments since, things can change
He also said Chocko would be our coach, so he hasnt got a 100% track record.

Still the rumors keep us all interested :)

gringo
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:I'm missing something with Newnes I think?

I see he gets a bit of ball these days, but does he impact games?

Given how they vote for the B&F, I don't think his coaches think he does much either.

He is the sort of guy who may bite us on the butt if we traded him, or he could be like Ben, where he may of hit his potential and it's a calculated decision to offload him.

I like him, don't get me wrong, really level headed kid...but what if a few years in this is what you get?
If he never improves he own a spot in our best 22. He doesn't have a weakness in his game. He just isn't flashy. He kicks well, gets the ball cleanly in the air and off the ground.
It might surprise some to see he was third at the Saints for marks, 4th for disposals, 5th for kicks, 4th for handballs, 3rd in fantasy footy, kicked 6 goals and 6th in player ratings. That's a pretty impressive resume. He just happens to be like Joey where his disposals don't look as flashy as some of the others so he gets looked past.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

SMS wrote:Hickey is 25
Longer is 21

Hickey is 24 yrs 6 months
Longer is 22 yrs 4 months

So age is not really a factor.

Development wise Hickey took up Aussie Rules quite late. So I am not sure either that Longer will have more improvement left in him than Hickey. Both should get better.

My main concern is that Longer does very little around the ground. He desperately needs to improve this aspect of his game to be of genuine use to the Saints. (Ditto for Holmes).

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....