Who needs to step up in 2016

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

FQF
SS Life Member

Who needs to step up in 2016

For us to take another step forward next year some of our youngsters will need to establish themselves in our top 22.

Guys like Goddard, Lonie, Sinclair, Billings, Dunstan are already top 22 players and should aim to play every game.

The following must become top 22 players and play 18+ games:
Acres
Hickey
Ross
Membrey
Wright

The following should play 5-10 games:
McKenzie
McCartin
Holmes
Markworth

*Injuries not factored in.

Saint wagga
Club Player

Re: Who needs to step up in 2016

Good OP

IMO guys who can make the biggest difference to us being regularly more competitive and keep moving up the ladder are our younger mids IMO:

All our rucks
Newnes
Webster
Ross
Billings
Dunstan
Acres
Minchi
Weller
Curren

I've deliberately left out 2nd year players to ease the pressure/expectation on them to provide really solid/consistent improvement. Consistent two way running, clearances and effecificient ball movement through the middle, thats where i'm hoping to see solid improvement. And good bulk weight gain as well.

Obviously if we get great improvement out of our KP stocks great! But it's the next gen of potential quality mids that really need to make their mark IMO.

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

I'm really looking forward to Webster taking a massive step forward and for Acres to cement a spot.
The above lists are long with players we want to step up. It's going to come down to how many will become A graders.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Wright probably on careers edge if he doesn't. Saunders too if he stays.

FQF
SS Life Member

gringo wrote:Wright probably on careers edge if he doesn't. Saunders too if he stays.
Wright is an interesting one. I still see him as a potential A grader and that's why I think he needs to become a top 22 player. But because he is not that young anymore and he hasn't had much continuity he's almost in an all or nothing position.

I expect Saunders to stay but I'd be very surprised if he played more than 5 games next year. Suspect he won't be on the list in 2017.

bigballs
Club Player

The list is long, quite a few need to step up for us to climb up the ladder, but three players in particular that I've been keeping a keen eye on are Ross, Acres and Billings. All three of these guys have a bit of class about them, time to step up next year and show us all how good they can become.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:
gringo wrote:Wright probably on careers edge if he doesn't. Saunders too if he stays.
Wright is an interesting one. I still see him as a potential A grader and that's why I think he needs to become a top 22 player. But because he is not that young anymore and he hasn't had much continuity he's almost in an all or nothing position.

I expect Saunders to stay but I'd be very surprised if he played more than 5 games next year. Suspect he won't be on the list in 2017.
Agreed. A few in that boat I think.

Last Chance Saloon in 2016:

Delaney (if he ends next season playing FF for Sandy he's surely in trouble)
Saad (if not gone already)
Holmes (because he'll be 27 and we won't be able to rookie him again)
Simpkin (if not gone already)
Shenton (backup only, needs to show a lot to play on into 2017)
Lee (more injuries or too many more games at Sandy and surely gone)
Markworth (if not gone already)
Curren (if not gone already)
Siposs (if not gone already)
Minchington (if not gone already)
Murdoch (needs to show what he can do at some point)
Wright (injuries etc have made it hard, needs to get some games)
Saunders (if not gone already)
White (if not gone already)
Templeton (hoping for a better third year than his second)

Plenty with a lot to prove.

Personally I'd like to see Ross take a big step, he's improved a little every year and at this slow and steady rate he'll be an A-grader when he's 35. Next year's his fifth season, turning 23, time to show what he's capable of.

The other is Membrey. Has shown good signs but has been really inconsistent. 17 marks inside 50 for 9 goals total is pretty disappointing. He's got time yet but I'd love to see him step up and really justify his place, kick 25+ for the year.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:For us to take another step forward next year some of our youngsters will need to establish themselves in our top 22.

Guys like Goddard, Lonie, Sinclair, Billings, Dunstan are already top 22 players and should aim to play every game.

The following must become top 22 players and play 18+ games:
Acres
Hickey
Ross
Membrey
Wright

The following should play 5-10 games:
McKenzie
McCartin
Holmes
Markworth

*Injuries not factored in.

If this thread is about stepping up to improve the side then the players that will improve us are Billings, Newnes, Dunstan, Ross and Hickey. For us to improve those players must go from the high teens, bar Newnes and maybe Billings to the low teens and in the top 5 players. Some of the players you mentioned like Wright, Mckenzie, McCartin and so on will give us more depth but I doubt they will improve us next season. They may sneak into the top 22 but that doesn't improve the side. We need some of our regular third and fourth year players to become a top 5 to 10 player.
Last edited by plugger66 on Thu 03 Sep 2015 5:25pm, edited 1 time in total.

mambo2706
Club Player

I think one player who needs to step up is Blake Acres. He was pick 19 in 2013 and will be in his 3rd season next year. Still young, I know, but IMO he really needs to start showing something.

sMarty_saints
Club Player

Everyone

older saint
SS Life Member

In answering this question who needs to step up i take it to be beyond the natural progression or get themselves back or in front of where they are as they have been disappointing.

In that case i think:

Ross - I really worry about his speed and ability to continuallyget to contest. may well be a late developer like Armitage was but i see 2016 as the make or bust year for him considering where he was drafted
Delaney- really good last year , struggled this year. Looking for a bounce back season and established keep backman
Templeton - Burst on the scene last year, played this year more like a Rookie drafted player. Only 3rd year i know so would just want to see improvement and force 10-14 senior games
Wright - Poor run with injuries. Hard nutt who has probably seen Webster and Roberton take his spot. If can increase his tank i see him potentially being a tagger in the future, or challanger for the back pocket on best small forward
Geary -we all love his attack on the ball and team things but disposal kills him. If Stewie Loewe can improve goal kicking he can improve field kicking .
Acres - Reminds me of a poor mans Dal Santo when he first started , looks like he has time and skill but looks lazy at times and doesn't influence enough contests. He needs to get body right and start to fill the role Newness has done in the past 2 years.

I see Murdoch, Saunders, White, Siposs, Simpkins, Curren all gone and perhaps Markworth rookied .

FQF
SS Life Member

mambo2706 wrote:I think one player who needs to step up is Blake Acres. He was pick 19 in 2013 and will be in his 3rd season next year. Still young, I know, but IMO he really needs to start showing something.
+1

Got something like a 5 year contract extension too.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

spert
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Chase some midfielders, Saints
http://www.afl.com.au/video/2015-09-03/ ... ers-saints
It's our big weakness, and needs a lot of thought

mambo2706
Club Player

Can't open your link Con

mambo2706
Club Player

mambo2706 wrote:
Can't open your link Con
Apologies Con. I can open the link from the computer but not my phone.

FQF
SS Life Member

I think that's a relatively fair assessment of our season.