Saints in for Aish

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Vazelos
Club Player

Saints in for Aish

St Kilda has joined the race for out of contract Brisbane Lion youngster James Aish, who is weighing up approaches from a number of clubs.

Collingwood and Carlton have also shown interest in recruiting the ex-South Australian midfielder, whom the Lions still think is likely to leave, although the club felt there was a "small chance" of retaining him.

Sources have confirmed that the Saints have made approaches to the Aish camp and made a play for the 19-year-old, who has not officially told the Lions he is leaving.

Aish's management has told the Lions that the player still hasn't informed him where he wishes to play in 2016. Brisbane has had a contract offer on the table since early this season, but with no discussions about the deal, the Lions have long expected that he would leave.

St Kilda has significant space in its salary cap, due to the influx of younger players and gradual exit of veterans, but has been reluctant to pursue high end free agents (who are typically 25 and older) until their list is futher developed. Aish, like Essendon's Jake Carlisle - another St Kilda target - fits their age profile, though it is unclear what the Saints - and indeed Collingwood and Carlton - would be willing to offer the Lions in return.

Collingwood's interest in Aish is complicated by their pursuit of Greater Western Sydney's out of contract midfielder Adam Treloar, who would cost the Pies their first draft pick, which will be inside the top eight or nine this year.

Meanwhile, Collingwood has started contract dicussions with Matthew Scharenberg, a friend and fellow SA team mate of Aish, about a new contract that would keep him in black and white next year and beyond.

Scharenberg has indicated to Collingwood that he wishes to stay with the Magpies, though the parties are yet to come to terms on a new deal. Scharenberg's management met with the Magpies this week.

Collingwood had been worried about whether Scharenberg, a highly rated pick no 6 in the 2013 national draft, might be lured home to his home state by the Crows, given the lengthy delay in contract talks. Scharenberg has promoted to play in Collingwood's team for Friday night's clash with Geelong.

Brisbane's head of high performance Brett Burton has informed the club he is leaving the Lions. Burton, who is expected to head home to SA, joins head of football Dean Warren and welfare manager Manny Lynch, in exiting the club.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/s ... z3k0z7bZ3p
Follow us: @theage on Twitter | theageAustralia on Facebook

ace
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints in for Aish

James Aish 19yo 182cm (Brisbane)
Pick No7 national draft 2013
We took Billings at No3
Two kids were taken underage the previous year via the mini draft.
So Aish's draft position would probably have placed him at 8 or 9 in an uncompromised draft.
If we were to pursue Aish, Brisbane would ask for our 1st round draft pick (No5 or 6) and get told to go ................
We would however have to be prepared to offer up our second rounder somewhere in the mid 20s and then sweeten the deal.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

ace wrote:James Aish 19yo 182cm (Brisbane)
Pick No7 national draft 2013
We took Billings at No3
Two kids were taken underage the previous year via the mini draft.
So Aish's draft position would probably have placed him at 8 or 9 in an uncompromised draft.
If we were to pursue Aish, Brisbane would ask for our 1st round draft pick (No5 or 6) and get told to go ................
We would however have to be prepared to offer up our second rounder somewhere in the mid 20s and then sweeten the deal.
Kid was touted as a number 1 for most of the year leading up to draft but largely fell out of favour due to the perceived strong go home factor.

Played in 2 senior premierships for Norwood in Sanfl prior to being drafted and at half time of the 2nd GF was generally acknowledged as,one of the BOG. Kid can play - and obviously not in happy place for most of this year. Worthy of a top 5 pick IMHO.

Can't see him wanting to come to St Kilda - I just hope we make enough noise to ensure whoever does get him pays overs. Somebody will give up a top 10 pick to get him.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
ace
Saintsational Legend

Jake Carlisle 23yo 198cm (Essendon)
Pick No24 in national draft 2009.
Gold Coast got 5 home state priority picks
The eligibilty age was raised by 4 months.
In an uncompromised draft he would probably have gone around pick 36.
We would probably need to give up our 3rd round pick (mid 40s) and sweeten the deal.

Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Well you wouldn't want to spend too much money on Aish which could upset others when we could use our first pick on our own gun who doesn't have history of being upset with their club.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Zed wrote:Played in 2 senior premierships for Norwood in Sanfl prior to being drafted and at half time of the 2nd GF was generally acknowledged as,one of the BOG. Kid can play - and obviously not in happy place for most of this year. Worthy of a top 5 pick IMHO.

Can't see him wanting to come to St Kilda - I just hope we make enough noise to ensure whoever does get him pays overs. Somebody will give up a top 10 pick to get him.
Since we will at best have pick No 5 or No 6 would you give it up to secure him ?
If no, then what about if we got Brisbane's second rounder early 20s as a sweetner ?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:
Zed wrote:Played in 2 senior premierships for Norwood in Sanfl prior to being drafted and at half time of the 2nd GF was generally acknowledged as,one of the BOG. Kid can play - and obviously not in happy place for most of this year. Worthy of a top 5 pick IMHO.

Since we will at best have pick No 5 or No 6 would you give it up to secure him ?
If no, then what about if we got Brisbane's second rounder early 20s as a sweetner ?
Id do that for sure. I dont like our chances though.

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

The question is has he gone up in value since he was picked up at 7?
Last year he was very good. Seems to have struggled with injury and interest this year.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

what could the crows offer if danger leaves ?
They'd have coin, but what pick can they give and what player to sweeten the deal?

I reckon aish wants to go home big time.

The Recruit
Club Player

Family history suggests he will be an SA player...all other info is just noise.
Not sure I rate his attitude....will always want to play his footy in SA if drafted. Not worth it IMO
Last edited by The Recruit on Fri 28 Aug 2015 12:11am, edited 1 time in total.

ace
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:what could the crows offer if danger leaves ?
They'd have coin, but what pick can they give and what player to sweeten the deal?

If Dangerfield leaves Adelaide as a free agent he would have to attract a first round pick as compensation.
Even Frawley got that.
So that would mean Adelaide with 2 picks around 9 / 10.
They could well trade one of those for Aish.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:

If Dangerfield leaves Adelaide as a free agent he would have to attract a first round pick as compensation.
Even Frawley got that.
Yep. Also Port at pick 8.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

leave him alone - the guy belongs in a crows guernsey. norwood royalty.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Hemi Baxter
Club Player

We're only a remote hope of trading for Aish. The Collingwood offer is a player ( at this stage Seedsman)and their second round pick. More importantly they've been talking to Aish for more than a year.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Hemi Baxter wrote:We're only a remote hope of trading for Aish. The Collingwood offer is a player ( at this stage Seedsman)and their second round pick. More importantly they've been talking to Aish for more than a year.
Interesting trade. Seedsman is an interesting player but seems very risky. Not a great trade for the Lions you wouldn't think.

http://www.aflplayerratings.com.au/Rati ... l-SEEDSMAN

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

Goose is king wrote:Well you wouldn't want to spend too much money on Aish which could upset others when we could use our first pick on our own gun who doesn't have history of being upset with their club.
Straight swap for Spencer seeing you think hes worth a first round pick?

stjay
Club Player

LTN16 wrote:
Goose is king wrote:Well you wouldn't want to spend too much money on Aish which could upset others when we could use our first pick on our own gun who doesn't have history of being upset with their club.
You're joking right?
Spencer is OOC & is moving on for a fresh start.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:

Even Frawley got that.
of course
i forgot the whole FA pick for danger for some reason

oh he is def going home

stevie
Saintsational Legend

Would rather get Lewis Taylor. Funny how last year I thought he actually was Aish! Got them mixed up lol

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

If he played like last year and with natural improvement he is the exact outside run we need. The problem is we need to get a 13-18 pick to get him. He isn't a pick 6 or 7 which we will have. Probably end up being 7 and he isn't a pick 26 which will probably be our second rounder. Need to find a way od getting a high teens pick.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Saints in for Aish

I'd trade this year and next years 2nd rounders for Aish and the Lions 2016 3rd rounder.

If both teams have a similar year next year to this year it'll be Aish and about 40 for 25 and 25.

With academy players required this year and next it's an appealing trade for the Lions however they would push to not give us their 2016 3rd rounder.

Saints94
SS Life Member

I'd prefer Josh Kelly, for pick 6 & next years second round pick.

been doing the rounds on bigfooty..
Last edited by Saints94 on Fri 28 Aug 2015 11:52am, edited 1 time in total.

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

stjay wrote:
LTN16 wrote:
You're joking right?
Spencer is OOC & is moving on for a fresh start.
Nah I'm serious.. What do you think??

james rose
Club Player

Our second and third pick pick
For Aish and their fourth pick

Thoughts?

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:Jake Carlisle 23yo 198cm (Essendon)
Pick No24 in national draft 2009.
Gold Coast got 5 home state priority picks
The eligibilty age was raised by 4 months.
In an uncompromised draft he would probably have gone around pick 36.
We would probably need to give up our 3rd round pick (mid 40s) and sweeten the deal.
He was pick 24 six years ago, what relevance does that have now? Gerrick Weedon was taken two picks earlier, does that mean he's worth a little more than Carlisle?