The AFL

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

To the top
SS Life Member

The AFL

The AFL has come in for criticism, as partly acknowledged by their comments during the course of this season.

It is my opinion that the response(s) of the AFL we have heard this season do not address the issues the AFL has and where these issues are seeing supporter support fall including attendance at matches and the viewing/listening audience thru electronic media also fall.

At the Press Club address today, the AFL Chief Commissioner has indicated that Canberra have a team in the AFL, being Greater Western Sydney and that support for that Club will increase over the next 3/5 years as it becomes the powerhouse of the AFL courtesy of its list, which he described in glowing terms.

The question not asked is "If the AFL has so ordained that Greater Western Sydney is to become the powerhouse Club of its own AFL competition within 3/5 years, why should I go to any match knowing the AFL has an expressed view of the result of the competition and has accordingly conflicted that competition and the ultimate outcome?"

What is the future of (for example) St Kilda FC in the view of the AFL given the description of Greater Western Sydney?

And why do the AFL have a vested interest in the success one particular Club as expressed - and what Club will the AFL next express a view on in regards its list and its future status in the competition?

The Rules have been so manipulated, and continue to be so manipulated including now by "Free Agency" and other Draft rulings, to allow the Chief Executive to make such a statement as he has made today - and to ordain a Club as the next powerhouse of the competition.

Then there is the impact of the AFL on the State leagues.

The Chief Executive and the Board of the AFL should resign - today.

I also note the impact on the NRL of Murdoch, owning the competition and a Club being Melbourne Storm which was ultimately stripped of premierships due to having 2 sets of books (and how did Murdoch not know this because it was his money the second set of books was spending - the individual administering those payments from the second set of books was a scape goat for Murdoch, the same as he never knew of "hacking" by his employees publishing what they published), paying players above the salary cap.

Murdoch is now involved in the AFL as he is - and that is just plain dangerous given Murdoch's record.

The AFL is at crisis point on a range of fronts as are (by extension) the financially compromised media networks stumping up the money for broadcast rights and the Clubs making losses and relying on AFL Distribution hand-outs and loans to pay their dues.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: The AFL

To the top wrote:The AFL has come in for criticism, as partly acknowledged by their comments during the course of this season.

It is my opinion that the response(s) of the AFL we have heard this season do not address the issues the AFL has and where these issues are seeing supporter support fall including attendance at matches and the viewing/listening audience thru electronic media also fall.

At the Press Club address today, the AFL Chief Commissioner has indicated that Canberra have a team in the AFL, being Greater Western Sydney and that support for that Club will increase over the next 3/5 years as it becomes the powerhouse of the AFL courtesy of its list, which he described in glowing terms.

The question not asked is "If the AFL has so ordained that Greater Western Sydney is to become the powerhouse Club of its own AFL competition within 3/5 years, why should I go to any match knowing the AFL has an expressed view of the result of the competition and has accordingly conflicted that competition and the ultimate outcome?"

What is the future of (for example) St Kilda FC in the view of the AFL given the description of Greater Western Sydney?

And why do the AFL have a vested interest in the success one particular Club as expressed - and what Club will the AFL next express a view on in regards its list and its future status in the competition?

The Rules have been so manipulated, and continue to be so manipulated including now by "Free Agency" and other Draft rulings, to allow the Chief Executive to make such a statement as he has made today - and to ordain a Club as the next powerhouse of the competition.

I also note the impact on the NRL of Murdoch, owning the competition and a Club being Melbourne Storm which was ultimately stripped of premierships due to having 2 sets of books (and how did Murdoch not know this because it was his money the second set of books was spending - the individual administering those payments from the second set of books was a scape goat for Murdoch, the same as he never knew of "hacking" by his employees publishing what they published), paying players above the salary cap.

Murdoch is now involved in the AFL as he is - and that is just plain dangerous given Murdoch's record.

The AFL is at crisis point on a range of fronts as are (by extension) the financially compromised media networks stumping up the money for broadcast rights and the Clubs making losses and relying on AFL Distribution hand-outs and loans to pay their dues.

The CEO should resign today. Very funny and you do realise Murdoch has been involved in the AFL for many years. As for your last line that has also happened for many years. I don't even understand your point about the AFL and state leagues. What does that even mean?

To the top
SS Life Member

I note you are still a cancer on this site - and your obviously unemployed status has you to 50,000 "contributions".

Some life, hey?

Leaving that aside there is such an issue as conflict of interest - and where the CEO of the AFL is expressing as he expressed today at the Press Club re GWS and its List he clearly has had and has a conflict of interest.

The CEO of the AFL is telling us that GWS have a "list of super stars" and will be "the powerhouse of the competition within 3/5 years" attracting large crowds (including in Canberra) then it is the Rules and Regulations of the AFL which have given GWS this status and has, accordingly, led to the remarks made today being made.

This is in a competition where measures have been introduced (we are told) to make the competition more even (from the days when the "money" clubs dominated and the remainder were cannon fodder selling their Form 4's for cash and not being able to meet their commitments paying 18 cents in the $1- to Creditors - remember?).

Into that we have GWS and the comments made today by the AFL CEO.

As a further comment, noting that nothing is the same today as it was yesterday and the plight of Brisbane (a former "powerhouse" now languishing including in support) and Carlton (a "money" club now in decline) are of interest.

In regards the State Leagues we have foundation Clubs, fielding league, seconds and under age sides on a salary cap imposed by the AFL competing with AFL Clubs with no such salary cap constraint and fielding full time, professional footballers.

The result of this is that 1 player on the park with an AFL Club in the VFL, SANFL or WAFL can be on more than the entire Salary Cap imposed on the foundation Clubs.

Then we had the McEvoy decision in the lead up to the VFL Grand Final in 2014.

And that is just for starters!

As a result of this "deal" with Murdoch, Murdoch's position and power is enhanced - and time will tell where that leads to noting the impact on the NRL when Murdoch owned the competition and a side in that competition which competed on a different set of "rules" and, accordingly, "won" the premierships before it all came tumbling down.

Of you lay down with dogs, you get up with fleas.

Back to the dole q, "cancer".

IanRush
SS Hall of Fame

To the top wrote:The AFL has come in for criticism, as partly acknowledged by their comments during the course of this season.

Not a bad post and some good points made.

USELESS FACT: The WADA case against Essendon (in Sydney as well) is exactly 10 years to the day that Australia qualified for the 2006 FIFA World Cup.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

You make some very valid points triple T. I didn't know Canberra had a Team in the AFL. That's like saying Tassie has two teams. What a load of horse manure.

Bet the good people of the ACT and Tassie don't agree with the Chief commissioner either.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:I note you are still a cancer on this site - and your obviously unemployed status has you to 50,000 "contributions".

Some life, hey?

Leaving that aside there is such an issue as conflict of interest - and where the CEO of the AFL is expressing as he expressed today at the Press Club re GWS and its List he clearly has had and has a conflict of interest.

The CEO of the AFL is telling us that GWS have a "list of super stars" and will be "the powerhouse of the competition within 3/5 years" attracting large crowds (including in Canberra) then it is the Rules and Regulations of the AFL which have given GWS this status and has, accordingly, led to the remarks made today being made.

This is in a competition where measures have been introduced (we are told) to make the competition more even (from the days when the "money" clubs dominated and the remainder were cannon fodder selling their Form 4's for cash and not being able to meet their commitments paying 18 cents in the $1- to Creditors - remember?).

Into that we have GWS and the comments made today by the AFL CEO.

As a further comment, noting that nothing is the same today as it was yesterday and the plight of Brisbane (a former "powerhouse" now languishing including in support) and Carlton (a "money" club now in decline) are of interest.

In regards the State Leagues we have foundation Clubs, fielding league, seconds and under age sides on a salary cap imposed by the AFL competing with AFL Clubs with no such salary cap constraint and fielding full time, professional footballers.

The result of this is that 1 player on the park with an AFL Club in the VFL, SANFL or WAFL can be on more than the entire Salary Cap imposed on the foundation Clubs.

Then we had the McEvoy decision in the lead up to the VFL Grand Final in 2014.

And that is just for starters!

As a result of this "deal" with Murdoch, Murdoch's position and power is enhanced - and time will tell where that leads to noting the impact on the NRL when Murdoch owned the competition and a side in that competition which competed on a different set of "rules" and, accordingly, "won" the premierships before it all came tumbling down.

Of you lay down with dogs, you get up with fleas.

Back to the dole q, "cancer".
I see that you still think everything you say is right and don't dare question me. And my life is good. I wont chose to say what I think yours is like. I remember all your posts previously. As a result the deal with Murdoch nothing changes. There was also a huge deal last TV rights. NRL has privately owned clubs, the AFL doesn't. Completely different. Im sorry you cant see that. Still have no idea what you are on about with state leagues. Consistent posting though.

Back to the dole Q, Cancer. that's lovely. What a person you are. And have a look at who agreed with you. Must be losing confidence now.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:I don't even understand your point about the AFL and state leagues.
That's OK, we all get old.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:
plugger66 wrote:I don't even understand your point about the AFL and state leagues.
That's OK, we all get old.

You accuse me I not saying much but all you seem to do is say nothing. For a change how about explaining what he means because the way I see it if it wasn't for the AFL clubs originally joining or merging the VFL it wouldn't exist anymore. Probably over your head because you never went. Not even a day by the looks of it.

barwonsaint

Looking at this site for a while and i cant stand plugger 66. He has a smart arse reply on every post, at last some body who has shown he is just a pain who has to have the last say on every post.He has made me stop reading the posts on this site many times.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

barwonsaint wrote:Looking at this site for a while and i cant stand plugger 66. He has a smart arse reply on every post, at last some body who has shown he is just a pain who has to have the last say on every post.He has made me stop reading the posts on this site many times.
Click on Plugger66's user name, view his profile and add him to your "foe" list. This way you will not need to see his posts.

You are certainly not alone, it would seem a significant minority feel the site would be a better place without him. With this feature in place we have the next best thing. The more people who use the feature, the less impact he can have and we might start seeing some of the old crew return.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:
barwonsaint wrote:Looking at this site for a while and i cant stand plugger 66. He has a smart arse reply on every post, at last some body who has shown he is just a pain who has to have the last say on every post.He has made me stop reading the posts on this site many times.
Click on Plugger66's user name, view his profile and add him to your "foe" list. This way you will not need to see his posts.

You are certainly not alone, it would seem a significant minority feel the site would be a better place without him. With this feature in place we have the next best thing. The more people who use the feature, the less impact he can have and we might start seeing some of the old crew return.

Wow. The thing is I don't care at all. As long as the good posters keep reading and replying then im happy. Gives me a free shot at the crap some people post and then hopefully its quoted and you can read why I think you are writing crap. This campaign of yours is gathering though. In the end I will be writing to myself. I will still be having fun though. I might even put myself on ignore. Armoo maybe ask the mods for a sticky on this.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

back on topic for us here in WA , SA, NSW and qld we can pretty much say goodbye to seeing the Saints play on FTA from here on with the local teams guaranteed FTA coverage every week that means we realistically have one game shown on FTA that doesn't involve the local teams - fair to say not many will be St Kilda games ... just means interstaters will either need to buy foxtel or if in WA come to the Western Saints telecast functions at the game sports bar in northbridge

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/