Farren Ray

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Farren Ray

perfectionist wrote:
SMS wrote:... He is not flag material.
He was in 2009 and 2010.

For some reason, he has not put on any bulk since the day started at Footscray. He can be too easily brushed off the ball. Being able to kick both feet would mean that he would be welcomed at Hawthorn and they could probably change his body shape as well (see Ben McEvoy) to suit their style.
Dank can help change body shape

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:At quick glance

Out
Schneider
Siposs
Simpkin
White
Fisher
Shenton
Minch

Then in the next group you have
Ray
Ross
Saunders
Markworth

I think he just survives

Firstly Shenton just signed a contract and secondly Fisher is more important than Ray. The rest are pretty right you would think. Pierce is also in trouble.

Long Term Injury
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
skeptic wrote:At quick glance

Out
Schneider
Siposs
Simpkin
White
Fisher
Shenton
Minch

Then in the next group you have
Ray
Ross
Saunders
Markworth

I think he just survives

Firstly Shenton just signed a contract and secondly Fisher is more important than Ray. The rest are pretty right you would think. Pierce is also in trouble.
I dont think the cuts will be that deep. Given the shallow draft pool everyone keeps mentioning. definitely agree with SImpkin, Schneider, Minch, Saad, being in trouble with Siposs and Markworth also out or rookied, but I think they'll hold onto more than we think. Or maybe we are aggressive trading and try to rework the list that way.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

I think we are seeing at Melbourne what happens if you offload too much experience at once. The same will be said of Carlton next year. They are in for some really tough times.
Ray should get another year - at least until he hits thirty. Fisher needs to go around again for one more year. We have kept Dempster and Shenton. With Roo and Joey still playing I think that gives us enough experience to support the newbies coming in.
Unsure about Gilbert - but if he is still contracted for next year I am happy for him to be in the side. He's valuable in a young side, I don't want us to start getting hidings next year again.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

I think a lot will be down to player payments to be honest ... if we were going to throw cash at a big fish and we get them then I think Ray go's if we don't and we stick with the draft only then I can see Ray staying as we are not going to take 7 picks in the draft ...
I would think Siposs, White, Shnides(rookie), Saunders, Simpkin and Markworth will be the guys to make way with a rookie upgrade of Sinclair into the main list that leaves four picks in the draft and two rookie selections with maybe one of those to go to a Markwoth or Simpkin....

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

I disagree about Markworth at least. He may even get a couple of the last three games in the seniors to see what he can do.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

look I agree Markworth has been unlucky but at some point you need to look at the fact he is going to be 24 next april and would have spent 5 years on an AFL list by next year even if he does get three games to round out the season you wont find many players survive 5 years with 3 games to their name... if he has skill's then I think he will have value as a rookie but at the moment he is clogging up a list spot

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Has been a great servant for us and seems like a top bloke.
Played 21 games last year and 6 this year. I think that says it all really. He is being phased out and replaced by youth.
I guess the ball is in his court for next year. Does he want to stay on and maybe only play a handful of senior games?
I am guessing he might decide to hang up his boots on his own terms.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:I think we are seeing at Melbourne what happens if you offload too much experience at once.
Not that old chestnut. How do you explain the Pies (only one player on the list over 30), Eagles (only one player over 30 on their list), Tigers (only one player over 30 on their list)?

Melbourne lost Scully, Frawley, Rivers, Scott Thompson, Stefan Martin all at young ages. Then they hired Mark Neeld. Oh dear god, they were a basket case. I dont think using them as a bench mark for anything is helpful really.

Mind you, on current list projections - in 2017 we wont have any over 30s on our list.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Has been a great servant for us and seems like a top bloke.
Played 21 games last year and 6 this year. I think that says it all really. He is being phased out and replaced by youth.
I guess the ball is in his court for next year. Does he want to stay on and maybe only play a handful of senior games?
I am guessing he might decide to hang up his boots on his own terms.

Totally agree. Whilst he maybe good for Sandy he isn't going to have any impact in the seniors next season. We need to phase out the older guys and Fisher is more important to the side than Ray.

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

[quote="plugger66"][quote="Con Gorozidis"]Has been a great servant for us and seems like a top bloke.
I am guessing he might decide to hang up his boots on his own terms.[/quote]

Totally agree. Whilst he maybe good for Sandy he isn't going to have any impact in the seniors next season. We need to phase out the older guys and Fisher is more important to the side than Ray.[/quote]

Agree and agree.
The victim of circumstances I guess
I think he deserves a farewell game at some stage even if it means a young guy has to rest or play at Sandy

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

200 game player.

Very good and a real achievement to get to the 200.

Stopped a rampant Swan in his tracks in the drawn GF and his tag combined to almost get us over the line.

If he is delisted, he has nothing to be ashamed about.

A proud and pretty successful career in AFL.

You are garbage - Enough said
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:200 game player.

Very good and a real achievement to get to the 200.

Stopped a rampant Swan in his tracks in the drawn GF and his tag combined to almost get us over the line.

If he is delisted, he has nothing to be ashamed about.

A proud and pretty successful career in AFL.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

if he is to be retired out of the team surely he gets a goodbye game in Perth in round 23 ...

lefty
Club Player

I think Ray is fine to be honest. I think he's a pretty good player, and still has plenty to offer.

I'm more concerned with Geary, constantly turns the ball over.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

lefty wrote:I think Ray is fine to be honest. I think he's a pretty good player, and still has plenty to offer.

So Ray is fine in the reserves and the problem is a regular senior player. Ray has been a very good AFL player but if he cant play now then surely the club is telling him something.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

lefty wrote:I think Ray is fine to be honest. I think he's a pretty good player, and still has plenty to offer.

:shock: :roll: :shock:

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

I'm all for giving spots to kids, but Ray is a seasoned performer who just plug almost any non-KPP gap on the field.

He runs and runs and sets a great example around the club. I think he deserves another year.

I'd keep him and use him as insurance - same way Schneider has been very useful this season.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.