Recruiting deck chairs on the good ship, St Kilda

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Long Term Injury
Club Player

Re: Recruiting deck chairs on the good ship, St Kilda

sasaint wrote:
prwilkinson wrote:I hope we don't pull the trigger at the trade table this summer... We're still a season or two away from topping up the list.
Agree. We should only trade for bargains (like Bruce) not chase and over pay for potential stars at this stage. We have an even chance of picking up a really A class recruit like Parish or Francis with our first round who will nicely fill a key role in our team. No point in selling the farm yet.
Times two: our recruiting of young fringe players has been outstanding the last few years - add to the list Hickey, Savage, ROberton, Membrey (who I rate), Weller, and maybe Delaney comes good.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Long Term Injury wrote:
sasaint wrote:
prwilkinson wrote:I hope we don't pull the trigger at the trade table this summer... We're still a season or two away from topping up the list.
Agree. We should only trade for bargains (like Bruce) not chase and over pay for potential stars at this stage. We have an even chance of picking up a really A class recruit like Parish or Francis with our first round who will nicely fill a key role in our team. No point in selling the farm yet.
Times two: our recruiting of young fringe players has been outstanding the last few years - add to the list Hickey, Savage, ROberton, Membrey (who I rate), Weller, and maybe Delaney comes good.

Nothing wrong at all in getting in potential stars as long as they have 10 years left in the game. Bennell for pick 5 would be fantastic aswould any player similar to that. Trading away picks isn't a problem.

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:
Long Term Injury wrote:
sasaint wrote:

Nothing wrong at all in getting in potential stars as long as they have 10 years left in the game. Bennell for pick 5 would be fantastic aswould any player similar to that. Trading away picks isn't a problem.
Prefer not to trade pick 5 for Bennell, we can't afford mistakes and there are too many question marks with him

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Toy Saint wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Long Term Injury wrote:
sasaint wrote:

Prefer not to trade pick 5 for Bennell, we can't afford mistakes and there are too many question marks with him

Like what? He seems to be going ok up in Queensland. Anyway I doubt its an issue. canr see how we get him really.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Speaking of recruitment can someone help me out.
The media seem to be reporting that both Treloar and Aish are going to Collingwood.
According to a poster on here, Crozier is also keen on the Pies.
Now firstly this proves the Pies have a competitive advantage in recruitment - mainly because they are the Pies and play in front of big crowds week in week out, but also I would suggest because of their training venue.

But that isnt why I am confused.

How can they get both Treloar and Aish (which media is suggesting)? I cant see how this is possible?
Or does this mean Trelor to Tigers and Aish to Pies? Obviously both are worth a first round pick.
Appreciate someone setting me straight on this.

If the Pies end up with Treloar and Aish I will absolutely spew.
This means they will have those two + Adams + Moore + Scharenberg + Freeman + De Goey.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Speaking of recruitment can someone help me out.
The media seem to be reporting that both Treloar and Aish are going to Collingwood.
According to a poster on here, Crozier is also keen on the Pies.
Now firstly this proves the Pies have a competitive advantage in recruitment - mainly because they are the Pies and play in front of big crowds week in week out, but also I would suggest because of their training venue.

But that isnt why I am confused.

How can they get both Treloar and Aish (which media is suggesting)? I cant see how this is possible?
Or does this mean Trelor to Tigers and Aish to Pies? Obviously both are worth a first round pick.
Appreciate someone setting me straight on this.

If the Pies end up with Treloar and Aish I will absolutely spew.
This means they will have those two + Adams + Moore + Scharenberg + Freeman + De Goey.
You can now trade future draft picks

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I have heard a rumour Cloke is going and they have a first rounder in mind for him which will go to picking up Aish or perhaps a direct swap. Seriously think they are probably paying something outside the cap though too.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Interesting. Thanks. So they could pay two first rounders for Treloar and then a 2nd rounder + Cloke for Aish? Which mean the pies wont have a high pick until the 2nd round next year?

Something like that?

So the Lions would end up with pick 2,19,25 + Cloke for this year. Plus then see what happens with Martin and Leunberger?

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:I have heard a rumour Cloke is going and they have a first rounder in mind for him which will go to picking up Aish or perhaps a direct swap. Seriously think they are probably paying something outside the cap though too.
Cloke?

SuperDuper
Club Player

Old Mate wrote:
gringo wrote:I have heard a rumour Cloke is going and they have a first rounder in mind for him which will go to picking up Aish or perhaps a direct swap. Seriously think they are probably paying something outside the cap though too.
Cloke?
Cloke will be 29 next season.... no team doing a re-build will want him
The guy cannot kick for goal... his best footy is likely behind him...
So.. who would pay a big price for him?
I just dont see it..

He is worth early 2nd round IMO... but there is no-one at that type of pick who would want him

So.. I agree with Con.. pies cant possibly land Aish + Treloar...
well. maybe by giving 1st and 2nd rounders from this year and next year each of them
(and what is their 1st rounder from 2016 worth? they will anticipate going up the ladder... so they will probably think trading out that pick will be advantageous because it may only be pick 14 or so.. just cant see how pick 14 gets you Aish..?)