Farren Ray

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Long Term Injury
Club Player

Farren Ray

Interested to hear peoples thoughts on Farren. He reminds me a bit of Peckett in terms of an older guy that was still able to contribute a fair bit in his later years to the club despite the injection of youth. I remember at the time being frustrated that we were playing him ahead of Monty, but with hindsight maybe it was the best for both of them. i wonder if there is a similar logic with Farren?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Farren Ray

Long Term Injury wrote:Interested to hear peoples thoughts on Farren. He reminds me a bit of Peckett in terms of an older guy that was still able to contribute a fair bit in his later years to the club despite the injection of youth. I remember at the time being frustrated that we were playing him ahead of Monty, but with hindsight maybe it was the best for both of them. i wonder if there is a similar logic with Farren?

I think he will be asked to retire. Love the nic.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

You may be right, but that would be a mistake by the club I feel.

He still has much to offer. He's not even 30 yet and I feel his best football is still ahead of him

What percentage of players make it to 200 games? I'd hazard a guess that it is a very small percentage and there is a reason why that percentage is small. It's because you need to be a very good player, plus a very durable player to get there.

This guy is nothing if not durable and if we are to play finals within the next three years his experience will be invaluable.

He wouldn't retire anyway. He'd go to another club that would value the services of a seasoned pro.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

He still has much to offer. He's not even 30 yet and I feel his best football is still ahead of him

What percentage of players make it to 200 games? I'd hazard a guess that it is a very small percentage and there is a reason why that percentage is small. It's because you need to be a very good player, plus a very durable player to get there.

This guy is nothing if not durable and if we are to play finals within the next three years his experience will be invaluable.

He wouldn't retire anyway. He'd go to another club that would value the services of a seasoned pro.

He cant get a game this year. You would hope he cant get a game next year. Surely we need at least 2 if not 3 older guys to retire this year. At the moment I see Schneider for sure, Ray nearly certain and Fisher a maybe. And no other club would want him im afraid. And his best footy isn't ahead of him. What do you base that on?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

I base it on his body type and on years of watching football and seeing guys of a similar build and type thriving well into their 30s.

In any case we are arguing a hypothetical here. That the club will ask him to retire. They haven't done it yet and I think it would be a mistake if they do.

But to you the club is always right on all things. No surprises there.

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

He cant get a game this year. You would hope he cant get a game next year. Surely we need at least 2 if not 3 older guys to retire this year. At the moment I see Schneider for sure, Ray nearly certain and Fisher a maybe. And no other club would want him im afraid. And his best footy isn't ahead of him. What do you base that on?
Not so sure we need 2 or 3 older guys to retire, but we will need to delist or retire about 6 or 7 players. Agree with Schnieder, and probably Fisher to retire. There are a few that just won't make it and should be delisted.

So as I think of it Farren is probably on the cusp. But I do agree with the op, that he's a handy player and could go OK in a better side.

citywest

We need to get as many games into the younger guys as possible and quick. For the good of the club Farren goes at the end of this season.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:I base it on his body type and on years of watching football and seeing guys of a similar build and type thriving well into their 30s.

In any case we are arguing a hypothetical here. That the club will ask him to retire. They haven't done it yet and I think it would be a mistake if they do.

As you say the club haven't done anything yet so im unsure how im agreeing with the club. A bit strange that. And if he does retire I have said it before the club did it so im not actually agreeing with the club and if he doesn't retire obviously I think he should have and again im not agreeing with the club.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

He's a gun of a guy like Peckett too. He's the type that is such a good club man he will be missed if he goes. He potentially has a few more years left in output and his quality is very consistent.

RW&B
Club Player

gringo wrote:He's a gun of a guy like Peckett too. He's the type that is such a good club man he will be missed if he goes. He potentially has a few more years left in output and his quality is very consistent.
That's the exact reason why, if it was up to me, I'd rather Ray than Gilbert. Similar age, similar output but I think Ray provides more to the young boys in way of leadership and knowledge than Gilbert. I say think because I only base that on what I see from the outside but I could be wrong. I think the older players who hang around need to either A) genuinely help us win games with their on field output (Roo, Joey, Dempster) or B) provide great leadership and teaching eg. how to prepare for games. Reason B) is why I think Schneider was a worthwhile rookie selection last year. Back to my original point, I think Ray and Gilbert provide similar A) but Ray provides greater B).

"I'm a better coach when Nick Riewoldt is in the side" - Ross Lyon 2007
saynta
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:I base it on his body type and on years of watching football and seeing guys of a similar build and type thriving well into their 30s.

The coach has already stated that whilst Farren is still capable of playing good footy, we need spots to give kids a go.Who would you rather see playing? Ray or Wright.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:

The coach has already stated that whilst Farren is still capable of playing good footy, we need spots to give kids a go.Who would you rather see playing? Ray or Wright.
Whichever of them that can offer the most. I'm leaning towards Ray.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

If we were to promote and recruit 7 players this year, Farren would be safe. If we needed ten spots opened on the list , Farren would be gone.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Farren has been a very good player for us and still is a good player. However, in looking at where the team is and where things are heading, it's going to be 50/50 call.

It depends on our recruitment. We need much better mids and I think that if we recruit well, he will miss out next year.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
saynta wrote:

Whichever of them that can offer the most. I'm leaning towards Ray.

So would Schneider. Sometimes though you just need to take them off your list so you don't play them.

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Farren deserves a spot in our 22, it's just that he's made way to get games into kids.

Also, we've had very few injuries this year, which has also deprived him of games.

Reckon he could play for another 3 or 4 years

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Toy Saint wrote:Farren deserves a spot in our 22, it's just that he's made way to get games into kids.

Also, we've had very few injuries this year, which has also deprived him of games.

Reckon he could play for another 3 or 4 years

They played Schneider most of the year so age isn't a factor. I don't see the point of keeping him myself. We must plan the retirements of the older players. Fisher is more important than a utility type like Ray. 2 older guys need to go this year. For me its Ray and Schneider.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Massive cull this year either way - a turnover of 10 would be about right, almost the minimum we can afford to do if we are serious about rebuilding.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

At quick glance

Out
Schneider
Siposs
Simpkin
White
Fisher
Shenton
Minch

Then in the next group you have
Ray
Ross
Saunders
Markworth

I think he just survives

SMS
Club Player

I cringe when I see Ray picked.

Whats the point? He is not flag material.

SMS
Club Player

Shenton out?? He just played bog like a machine in vfl. He has something he just needs to channel it properly. I dunno wouldbt give up on shents yet.

MINCH?? he is good wtf??? Id be keeping him. Skillful why do you want him gone??

Saunders i would be giving up on.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Fair call SMS
Dont see a lot games at the moment - Shents always seems under in the seniors and it's hard to see how Dasher fits

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

SMS wrote:Shenton out?? He just played bog like a machine in vfl. He has something he just needs to channel it properly. I dunno wouldbt give up on shents yet.

MINCH?? he is good wtf??? Id be keeping him. Skillful why do you want him gone??
Disagree and agree. Shenton for mine doesn't quite have the height, pace or tank for AFL, I think he's the typical good VFL player who can't quite make it a level up.

Minch, I'm not ready to give up on him yet. Looks like they've got him pegged as a small forward at AFL level, I'd like to see him through the midfield more. If it was between him and Ray I'd definitely keep Minch.

RW&B
Club Player

skeptic wrote:At quick glance

Out
Schneider
Siposs
Simpkin
White
Fisher
Shenton
Minch

Then in the next group you have
Ray
Ross
Saunders
Markworth

I think he just survives
Swap Saunders for Minch IMO. The issue with a big clean out is that this coming draft is said to be shallow. We used 4 picks at the last draft so I'd imagine we'd use about 4 again. Schneider is a rookie so that's 4 National picks and 1 rookie. Thrown in 1-2 players from other clubs and that leaves us with 6-7 delistings to make.

"I'm a better coach when Nick Riewoldt is in the side" - Ross Lyon 2007
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

SMS wrote:... He is not flag material.
He was in 2009 and 2010.

For some reason, he has not put on any bulk since the day started at Footscray. He can be too easily brushed off the ball. Being able to kick both feet would mean that he would be welcomed at Hawthorn and they could probably change his body shape as well (see Ben McEvoy) to suit their style.