Mc Cartin

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Mc Cartin

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-08-12/d ... r-mccartin

"Living away from his family has been tough, but with most Wednesdays off, McCartin usually drives home to Batesford, near Geelong, every Tuesday night and then heads straight back to training on Thursday mornings. At the end of this year he'll move out of his host family home and in with teammates, having made plenty of close friends this year.

The Saints always knew he'd be popular, warming quickly to his genuine and no-nonsense approach. Before the draft they asked him what he would do if he were offered a multi-million dollar deal by another club early in his career. "I'd play for $50 a game if I had to," McCartin replied.

On draft night, recruiting manager Tony Elshaug shook McCartin's hand, gave him a hug and told him, "I love ya, son". Almost a full season into his career, McCartin feels the same way about his club.

"It'd be fantastic to be a one-club player. That'd be awesome, but I'm just a small part of it. I'm on the journey. I'll be around as long as the Saints need me," he said.

"It's a place I've absolutely loved so far. It's been unreal."

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Re: Mc Cartin

He sounds like a really good kid. I hope he also turns out to be a great footballer.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:He sounds like a really good kid. I hope he also turns out to be a great footballer.

Great article and well worthy of a read.

FQF
SS Life Member

He has a lot of work to do but I have seen enough to be sure that when he is fit/strong enough coupled with a real belief that he belongs, he will be a very good forward. May not compete with Hogan over the decade, but probably one rung below.

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

There's gonna be up's and down's over the next few years with this kid, but everytime I hear him speak, it just seems more and more certain he will make the grade eventually. With a good head screwed onto his shoulders, there's no reason he can't deal with the pressure and become a champion.

mambo2706
Club Player

bergholt wrote:He sounds like a really good kid. I hope he also turns out to be a great footballer.
Agreed. I remember listening to his interview after draft night last year and was impressed with how level headed he was. He seemed very mature and he was a great talker for someone so young.

It might take him a year or two to become an A grade player but I look forward to following him on his journey.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

He doesn't take crap from anyone either;

Just ask the coach of Caulfield Grammar who called him a 'Fat Bully' during a school match last year !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

dud

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

The Fireman wrote:dud

Delist

You are garbage - Enough said
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:

Delist
straight swap for a water boy.

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Reckon Paddy would have been a better player in the Lockett era.

His assets are strength, clean marking, straight kick and footy smarts......but he's not quite the athlete that dominates the game in the current era..

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Toy Saint wrote:Reckon Paddy would have been a better player in the Lockett era.

His assets are strength, clean marking, straight kick and footy smarts......but he's not quite the athlete that dominates the game in the current era..

Isnt Hogan the same sort of build and player. He goes ok and remember he had 2 years extra in the system.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

The Fireman wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:

Delist
straight swap for a water boy.

This one?

You are garbage - Enough said
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

hahahah that one.

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:
Toy Saint wrote:Reckon Paddy would have been a better player in the Lockett era.

Isnt Hogan the same sort of build and player. He goes ok and remember he had 2 years extra in the system.
Hogan looks a bit taller, a bit leaner, and a bit more of an athlete, and I reckon he'll be a great player.

I'm sure Paddy will get fitter with a pre-season under his belt, and I'm confident he'll be a great St Kilda player.

But perhaps I'm living in the past, I really enjoy the strong stay-at-home full forward.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Toy Saint wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Hogan looks a bit taller, a bit leaner, and a bit more of an athlete, and I reckon he'll be a great player.

I'm sure Paddy will get fitter with a pre-season under his belt, and I'm confident he'll be a great St Kilda player.

But perhaps I'm living in the past, I really enjoy the strong stay-at-home full forward.

Well the week we played Melbourne McCartin looked better around the ground better than Hogan. Hogan is going to be a star by my point is he is in his third year in the system I think. McCartin already looks like his body is much better than last year and if it was his third year I would be worried but its his first.

And everyone loved the stay at home forwards but it wont happen again. I hear people on the radio saying a forward should just stay at home but what happens then is the back sits 40 metres off the pack and any quick kick goes straight to an uncontested player. The only way a stay at home forward works is if the game can back to quick clearances instead of big packs. It will take rule changes for that to happen.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

From listening to a few interviews of his, he sounds like a well rounded young guy, with his feet firmly on the ground.

He moves well on the ground and has "plenty" of improvement in him - next year, with more fitness, it will be another leap forward.

A quality person for the Club.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I think Paddy is covering too much ground. Not uncommon to find in the back line. Maybe trying to emulate Nick Roo.

MadSaintFan
Club Player

Any comparisons with Hogan at this stage are seriously unjust. Technically this is Hogans 3rd season in the AFL given he spent a year 2013 in the VFL and then had an injury interrupted 2014 (lower back injury) which would have been used predominantly to build up body strength.
On VFL form, Hogan kicked 39 goals in 15 games in 2013; Paddy kicked 12 goals from 5 games this year including 4.3 against Footscray (4th on the ladder) and 3.1 against Box Hill (1st on the ladder). Pretty solid from Patrick given he's only a baby.

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

Hogan has 2 years on paddy! End of story..

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Mc Cartin

MadSaintFan wrote:Any comparisons with Hogan at this stage are seriously unjust. Technically this is Hogans 3rd season in the AFL given he spent a year 2013 in the VFL and then had an injury interrupted 2014 (lower back injury) which would have been used predominantly to build up body strength.
On VFL form, Hogan kicked 39 goals in 15 games in 2013; Paddy kicked 12 goals from 5 games this year including 4.3 against Footscray (4th on the ladder) and 3.1 against Box Hill (1st on the ladder). Pretty solid from Patrick given he's only a baby.
Hogan kicked those 39 goals as an underager playing against men. Won the ressies B&F too. He's a special talent. Paddy will be fine but he doesn't project to be as good as Hogan and there's nothing wrong with that as he'll be a good player in his own right. Just gotta temper expectations regarding Paddy otherwise you'll leave yourself disappointed.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Will be an absolute beast.

Beast.

By the look of him he will actually struggle keeping his weight anywhere near 100 kgs.

In many respects he should probably model himself on Riewoldt and maintain that mobility and build that tank.

The comparisons to Jon Brown are ligit IMO.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
SaintWodonga
Club Player

I'm hoping he'll kick multiple goals soon...

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
chook23
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:Will be an absolute beast.

Beast.

By the look of him he will actually struggle keeping his weight anywhere near 100 kgs.

In many respects he should probably model himself on Riewoldt and maintain that mobility and build that tank.

The comparisons to Jon Brown are ligit IMO.
Do you think if he built his tank up a bit.................he could develop into a player similar to J.Roughead (hawks)

can play as the main fwd/floating fwd even spells on the ball

Brown or roughy will do though!!

saint4life
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Nope.

He will be Patrick McCartin.

Will have a massive preseason and play every game in 2016.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....