Seb Ross

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

spert
Saintsational Legend

Re: Seb Ross

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
saintact7 wrote:Interesting then that the coach praised Seb in his post match message to members, said he provided a lot of run!

Shows why he is a coach and I am a ball watching armchair critic I suppose.
Maybe the coach needs to raise the bar a bit if he reckons that was a good performance

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

spert wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:
saintact7 wrote:Interesting then that the coach praised Seb in his post match message to members, said he provided a lot of run!

Shows why he is a coach and I am a ball watching armchair critic I suppose.
Maybe the coach needs to raise the bar a bit if he reckons that was a good performance

Don't know spert, Richo would know what he wanted and expected from Ross, from my perspective he was ordinary, even in the last quarter, but then I am not the coach.

Ross may have done exactly what Richo told him to do. However I doubt Richo said, run about up nd down on the one spot, while your man runs off you, be sure not to spread, or collect possessions, but hey that's why Richo gets paid the big bucks :|

You are garbage - Enough said
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
Kernal75 wrote:Is he too slow for AFL football? He might be good in tight but his possessions don't hurt you an he can't spread from the contest?
He was one of our better players. The Coach is the one I think is worth listening to.
I'm just as concerned about his skills as endurance, his handskills seem a little sloppy and slow.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I thought he looked okay with out starring.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:
saynta wrote:
Kernal75 wrote:Is he too slow for AFL football? He might be good in tight but his possessions don't hurt you an he can't spread from the contest?
He was one of our better players. The Coach is the one I think is worth listening to.
I'm just as concerned about his skills as endurance, his handskills seem a little sloppy and slow.
You're having a lend of me aren't you. His handballs skills are excellent. He has the quickest hands of any of the young guns and 20 possessions isn't too bad for a kid just back in the side .Same as Reiwoldt and better than 12 other saints players on the day.

He's developing into a very sound footballer.
Last edited by saynta on Mon 10 Aug 2015 3:54pm, edited 1 time in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
Armoooo wrote:
saynta wrote:
You're having a lend of me aren't you. His handballs skills are excellent. He has the quickest hands of any of the young guns and 20 possessions isn'at too bad for a kid just back in the side .Sme as Reiwoldt and better than 12 other saints players on the day.

You sound so similar to another poster.

Kick-it-lace-out
Club Player

Other than the fact he lacks pace, poise and skill, I reckon he's ok.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Kick-it-lace-out wrote:Other than the fact he lacks pace, poise and skill, I reckon he's ok.
Coach seems to love him, Im like you I just dont see how he is suited to the modern game. Sam Mitchell is one example of a slow runner who gets by because but is a smart mover and has elite skills. Ross is slow and plays slower if that is possible, and is slow from hand to foot. I wonder if they have nicknamed him 'turtle'?

The only reason I would be playing him would be to increase his trade value come years end! There is no way he should be in our midfield future plans!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:You're having a lend of me aren't you. His handballs skills are excellent. He has the quickest hands of any of the young guns and 20 possessions isn't too bad for a kid just back in the side .Same as Reiwoldt and better than 12 other saints players on the day.

Yeah I was, good call. I actually don't mind Ross.

I just wanted confirmation that you are Stinger once and for all, I am now satisfied that you are.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Long Term Injury
Club Player

What I like about him is the more he develops the more time he seems to have. Yes, his disposal at times can let him down, but I think he is worth persisting with.

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
ROLS-LEE wrote:All you haters would have said the same about armo and monty. They took a little while before they got going.

Wow haters hey?

I want every Saints player to succeed. I don't think Ross will.

Have always said would love for him to prove me wrong, but unfortunately is not doing so.

Reckon he is too slow, doesn't get enough of the ball, his opponent runs off him, and he cant spread.

Apart from that he is fantastic.

Sounds a bit like armo when he started. Look at him now.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

ROLS-LEE wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:
ROLS-LEE wrote:All you haters would have said the same about armo and monty. They took a little while before they got going.

Wow haters hey?

I want every Saints player to succeed. I don't think Ross will.

Have always said would love for him to prove me wrong, but unfortunately is not doing so.

Reckon he is too slow, doesn't get enough of the ball, his opponent runs off him, and he cant spread.

Apart from that he is fantastic.

Sounds a bit like armo when he started. Look at him now.

Ross is not like Armo and never has been.

You could always see the potential in Armo. Ross just gets red faced and runs about as quick as Powell.

You are garbage - Enough said
Sobraz
SS Life Member

Much like everything else in his game, even his development is slow..

Yes, there is some improvement. Is it enough to keep persisting with? One more season IMO, and if it is not a breakout year then cut our losses and look elsewhere.

People compare him often to Sam Mitchell. The only similarities are their body shape an hair colour. Mitchell was a genuine gun by Seb's age now. Rising star winner and Hawks best mid.

I see a bit of potential in Seb, but his disposal, while it looks neat, is actually sloppy, so I'm keeping a foot in each camp. 12 more months.

Saint wagga
Club Player

I like what I see with Ross's development and think he can become a very solid if not really good AFL player for us. His Hammy injury was cruel timing just he looked ready to really take a big step forward and he was a player always going to take a while to hit his strides after a decent period of off legs training during the season proper.

As another poster mentioned, he seems to be showing the ability to find time and space with handballs in the clinches, he looks strong in the frame.

Someone mentioned that the coaches love him in terms of selecting him - i'd counter that by saying he's been ridden very tough, ever since Watters. He's been in and out of the side and has rarely been afforded a single quiet game without getting dumped. His ability to keep his head up, go back to Sandy and demand selection is a positive in terms of attitude, and his ability to accumulate 20+ posi's a game at AFL level looks better now that last year.

I'll back him to become a regular fixture in the team and he could be a bull of an inside mid by the time he's 25

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Saint wagga wrote:I like what I see with Ross's development and think he can become a very solid if not really good AFL player for us. His Hammy injury was cruel timing just he looked ready to really take a big step forward and he was a player always going to take a while to hit his strides after a decent period of off legs training during the season proper.

As another poster mentioned, he seems to be showing the ability to find time and space with handballs in the clinches, he looks strong in the frame.

Someone mentioned that the coaches love him in terms of selecting him - i'd counter that by saying he's been ridden very tough, ever since Watters. He's been in and out of the side and has rarely been afforded a single quiet game without getting dumped. His ability to keep his head up, go back to Sandy and demand selection is a positive in terms of attitude, and his ability to accumulate 20+ posi's a game at AFL level looks better now that last year.

I'll back him to become a regular fixture in the team and he could be a bull of an inside mid by the time he's 25

How do you play him, Dunstan and Armo in the same side though and still have spread. Armo is now more outside which helps but even then Ross and Dunstan are very similar in the way they play. It also means Weller cant really in there as well. He is a bit faster but he is still inside and doesn't spread greatly. We really need someone like Billings to become an outside mid and then we probably still need 3 or 4 more quality outside mids with pace and spread.

stjay
Club Player

I don't know what this guy can become. As others have mentioned, he certainly knows how to win his own ball and can get plenty of it.
He had a stinker on the weekend - I don't know how you can put any other spin on it - it wasn't AFL standard. Watched the replay and his errors stood out.
Maybe he gets better, I certainly hope so, Richo definitely has love for him.

Saint wagga
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Saint wagga wrote:I like what I see with Ross's development and think he can become a very solid if not really good AFL player for us. His Hammy injury was cruel timing just he looked ready to really take a big step forward and he was a player always going to take a while to hit his strides after a decent period of off legs training during the season proper.

How do you play him, Dunstan and Armo in the same side though and still have spread. Armo is now more outside which helps but even then Ross and Dunstan are very similar in the way they play. It also means Weller cant really in there as well. He is a bit faster but he is still inside and doesn't spread greatly. We really need someone like Billings to become an outside mid and then we probably still need 3 or 4 more quality outside mids with pace and spread.
I don't see them all playing in the one side at the one time at the very present. Based on your point of a lack of spread, at present. I think injury and form and the abiltiy to develop versaility and spend time on a half forward flank or in a pocket and provide a viable goal kicking string to their bow will allow some or all of them to add flexibility to their selection.

If we take a snapshot right now, yes, they would be too slow combined, but there is no doubt that Dunstan and Ross have the most scope to build tanks and become workaholics and Weller has shown good flexibility this season in his ability to go forward. I'd love to see us develop some more gun inside/outside mids the likes of Biliings, Lonie, Sinclair, Tempelton, Mackenzie, Minchi, murdoch, - there are spots their to be owned, we just the youngsters to own them through performance

loris
Saintsational Legend

BUMP!!!!!!

Good on you Seb Ross, you have put egg on the faces of a few posters from last year.............. the year before they were more vitriol in their comments

Milne
Club Player

loris wrote:BUMP!!!!!!

Good on you Seb Ross, you have put egg on the faces of a few posters from last year.............. the year before they were more vitriol in their comments
A lot of the posters were right at the time. He has certainly come along way!

saynta
Saintsational Legend

I think i love you Loris.

I certainly can rely on you for support where Seb is concerned.

Love a certain poster getting it rubbed into his ugly mug.

I wasn't going to spend a second of my ti,e or a second thought on him though.

Still apreciate your effort.
Last edited by saynta on Tue 14 Jun 2016 9:32pm, edited 1 time in total.

loris
Saintsational Legend

Milne wrote:

A lot of the posters were right at the time. He has certainly come along way!
He had not long returned from what 10 weeks off with a major hamstring injury? No one expected him to be a Stawell Gift runner. So many posters couldn't see some of his sublime skills, especially in close with dishing off handballs.......... problem was at times he was too quick thinking for his team mates. Right from the beginning he had 'natural footballer', with a football brain written all over him. Just needed time to get his body right and up with the pace of seniors footy IMHO .

loris
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:

I think i love you Loris.

I certainly can rely on you for support where Seb is concerned.

Love a certain poster getting it rubbed into his ugly mug.

I wasn't going to spend a second of my ti,e or a second thought on him though.

Still apreciate your effort.
That's OK sweetie, I'll accept your love. :wink: :wink:

I can remember 'tony74' giving us the good oil on Seb when he first came to the Saints, said Seb had the skills to really make it given time. From that time I watched Seb closely and could see the promise he had - just needed time and to get the puppy fat off his body.

I luv Seb................................. hey that old poster 'stinger' would be pleased at Seb's progress, he was always front and centre for Seb from the get go. And surprisingly, that other old dear departed poster 'plugger66', agreed with 'stinger' many a time on Seb................ the only player they seemed to agree on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

I know you hate me, but I think you are very astute and insightful.
You were in Seb's camp a long time ago, so I knew he was a player to watch.
"If Loris says he's a player, then he's a player."
You do have a knack of seeing the future.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
loris
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote:

I know you hate me.
Silly, silly comment WellardSaint................. I don't have time nor the inclination to spend energy on hating. You're a Sainter, so why would I hate you? We Sainters have had such a cross to bear over the years, so we all need all the LOVE we can get.

Disagreeing with someone's point of view, doesn't mean hate, or not from my standpoint.

'I luv youse all' :P :P :P :P :P

But I 'specially luvs SEB :D

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

It's a weird bump.

So one forumite wrote him off and a few questioned his development which is fairness was slow.

That's hardly a heap of ppl wanting him to be traded, which is I'm guessing the point of this