Bailey Rice Playing for Northern Blues

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Bowey Boy
Club Player

Bailey Rice Playing for Northern Blues

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/f ... 7471331291

FATHER-SON prospect Bailey Rice will play for Carlton’s VFL affiliate this weekend in the strongest indication yet that he will nominate the Blues as his preferred club of choice.

Rice is the son of former premiership player Dean Rice, who notched 116 games at St Kilda before defecting to Carlton, where he played 118 matches.

That makes Rice eligible for both clubs, who have long courted the classy defender.

Rice has been training at Carlton throughout the year and has also spent one day a week with St Kilda as he continues to mull over the decision.

But a call-up for the Northern Blues ahead of its curtain raising clash against Collingwood at the MCG this Saturday could prove enough to sway the 18-year-old.

Rice is likely to play as the club’s ‘23rd man’, a rule that allows TAC Cup players to be blooded in the VFL for up to three games.

Although the Blues have used the allowance before, they have generally only involved players from their under 18s affiliate the Northern Knights.

Renowned for his clean kicking from half-back, Rice has averaged 22.5 disposals from eight TAC Cup matches with the Dandenong Stingrays this season.

He also averaged 18 disposals at 83 per cent efficiency in his last two Vic Country games at the National Under 18 Championships.

Carlton’s recruiting team may have a decision to make regarding father-son prospects when the draft approaches in November.

Jack Silvagni, son of defender and current talent boss Stephen Silvagni, Craig Bradley’s son Jake Bradley and Rice are all available for selection.

The Blues must decide whether they can afford all three under the AFL’s new bidding system for father-son and academy players.

Rice’s Dandenong teammate and fellow father son prospect, Jake Lovett, will fill the 23rd man role for Melbourne’s VFL affiliate Casey on the weekend.

"I think, 'You kick a footy mate, you kick a footy. It's not like you've got a cure for cancer. You kick a footy, stop thinking you are so special'." - Samantha Black
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Re: Bailey Rice Playing for Northern Blues

on CH 7's VFL coverage-- Saturday afternoon
Extra reason for @CarltonFC (and @stkildafc) fans to join us for @CollingwoodFC vs @NBluesFC @VFL 12pm Sat @7Sport.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Rosco
Club Player

hmmm

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I know this is controversial and in this case probably not a factor at all but I am adamant that Seaford is not a competitive advantage for us.

Maybe it is competitive neutral and a non-factor, but no sane person can claim it is as an advantage.
At best it is irrelevant, at worst, it hurts us at the margins in attracting talent.
If people like Treloar, Prestia and Crozier are looking for new homes, then it may be a slight factor against us.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Meh.
I don't think Seaford matters that much.

If you were a seventeen year old halfback/mid, and you could pic between Carlton and St.Kilda, where do you reckon you would get your best chance?

In my opinion, if you are a father son selection, and you don't want to come here, despite the club actually investing in your development already..... Chance your arm in the draft pal.

Carlton may not want to take him. They have a Bradley and a Silvagni as well......

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
stjay
Club Player

Someone on here said he was definitely going to nominate the Saints on inside info.
That's highly unlikely based on this article.
The chance to play for the team you barrack for was always going to be difficult compete with.
Whatever.
Good luck to the kid.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:Meh.
I don't think Seaford matters that much.

If you were a seventeen year old halfback/mid, and you could pic between Carlton and St.Kilda, where do you reckon you would get your best chance?
If you were any soon to be 18 year old, would you prefer to live in Frankston or Fitzroy? Would you prefer to be walking distance from the city on a Friday night or a 15 minute drive from the 21st Century? It's a no brainer from that point of view.

18 year olds aren't renowned for thinking with their head. At least not the one on their shoulders.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

He will be certain of getting a game there if drafted. From a list perspective they will probably be the worst side in the league next year.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

To pick up all three... What will the blues have to give up?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:I know this is controversial and in this case probably not a factor at all but I am adamant that Seaford is not a competitive advantage for us.

Maybe it is competitive neutral and a non-factor, but no sane person can claim it is as an advantage.
At best it is irrelevant, at worst, it hurts us at the margins in attracting talent.
If people like Treloar, Prestia and Crozier are looking for new homes, then it may be a slight factor against us.

Doesn't matter at all. Why did Goddard leave if distance matters? I reckon Rice wouldn't have even thought about that when deciding.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:I know this is controversial and in this case probably not a factor at all but I am adamant that Seaford is not a competitive advantage for us.

Doesn't matter at all. Why did Goddard leave if distance matters? I reckon Rice wouldn't have even thought about that when deciding.
We don't all have your encyclopaedic knowledge of where the current and former Saints players live but I would say Tullamarine is a lot more accessible to the city than Seaford. You can point at 45 players on our current list and say Seaford is not a factor but unless you know the decision making process of every player who has had some choice on their destination, you can't just dismiss it as a factor.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

We don't all have your encyclopaedic knowledge of where the current and former Saints players live but I would say Tullamarine is a lot more accessible to the city than Seaford. You can point at 45 players on our current list and say Seaford is not a factor but unless you know the decision making process of every player who has had some choice on their destination, you can't just dismiss it as a factor.

Its is much closer to the city but im guessing most players from most clubs don't live in the city or even close to the city. Alright it was a factor with Rice. it was the major factor ahead of who he follows, who his dad last played for and what the contract he maybe offered. And im unsure I deserved a whack about where players live when making the comment. Firstly I haven't got a clue where Rice lives and would be lucky to know where 5 Saints players live.

I honestly don't think it is a factor at all. Players hardly go out anymore and if they do im sure a few together in a cab wont hurt their pockets. It would hurt less than the cost of renting a house near the city. I think we are just disappointed Rice chose Carlton over us. I reckon he is a third rounder so I couldn't give a stuff.

wally
Club Player

If he didn't want to travel to Seaford and went into the draft,he'd be spewing if he had to go interstate.
Where does he rate in draft pick no.?

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

wally wrote:If he didn't want to travel to Seaford and went into the draft,he'd be spewing if he had to go interstate.
Third rounder. Just so meh over Rice. Couldn't care less if I tried

You are garbage - Enough said
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

wally wrote:If he didn't want to travel to Seaford and went into the draft,he'd be spewing if he had to go interstate.
Somewhere around 40 !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
Third rounder. Just so meh over Rice. Couldn't care less if I tried
I'm leaning a bit that way too. You want players who want to play for us like a Bruce. If anybody wants to play for a club that is going to be down the bottom of the ladder for the next 5 years, well good luck to them.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

APS school footy finished last weekend, meaning that Rice (& others) would be free to return to their TAC Cup side or play VFL. Interesting that they chose Rice and not Silvagni to play VFL. I'm thinking it's a massive NON STORY written by very lazy journos !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: I reckon he is a third rounder so I couldn't give a stuff.
Might be right.
The name has an allure, but then so did Winmar.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

why would he want to go to that cheating rabble ? The Saints have a future

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:APS school footy finished last weekend, meaning that Rice (& others) would be free to return to their TAC Cup side or play VFL. Interesting that they chose Rice and not Silvagni to play VFL. I'm thinking it's a massive NON STORY written by very lazy journos !!

I don't see how its a non story. It would suggest he is picking Carlton and people have been asking who he will pick.

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Eastern wrote:APS school footy finished last weekend, meaning that Rice (& others) would be free to return to their TAC Cup side or play VFL. Interesting that they chose Rice and not Silvagni to play VFL. I'm thinking it's a massive NON STORY written by very lazy journos !!

I don't see how its a non story. It would suggest he is picking Carlton and people have been asking who he will pick.

On the contrary, maybe Carlton is going the extra mile to ensure he picks them as he may be undecided at the moment and this might sway his vote. He is the only one that has a choice as Silvagni and Bradley only played for carltank.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ROLS-LEE wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

On the contrary, maybe Carlton is going the extra mile to ensure he picks them as he may be undecided at the moment and this might sway his vote. He is the only one that has a choice as Silvagni and Bradley only played for carltank.

Carlton picked him to play but he had to say yes first. Anyway I can honestly say I don't care where he plays.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Not sure about that. Try getting there during peak traffic

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:We don't all have your encyclopaedic knowledge of where the current and former Saints players live...
plugger66 wrote:And im unsure I deserved a whack about where players live when making the comment.
Really? You originally said:
plugger66 wrote:Why did Goddard leave if distance matters?
How can anyone possibly comment on that if they don't know where Goddard lives? You obviously do so why don't you just tell us, rather than implying some special level of knowledge which means no-one else can comment.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:
kosifantutti wrote:I would say Tullamarine is a lot more accessible to the city than Seaford.
Not sure about that. Try getting there during peak traffic
Why would a player be driving to either Seaford or Tulla between 4pm and 7pm?