Round 22 Adam Goodes

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Clayton Davis
Club Player

Re: Round 22 Adam Goodes

Matt Finnis wrote:This week has been one of those times where our game transcends the wins and losses and team rivalries and is at the forefront of social debate across the nation, albeit for reasons we would rather have not occurred.

Like some others at the Saints, I’m fortunate enough to know Adam Goodes as a footballer, leader and a friend. I remember being enormously proud when he was unveiled as Australian of the Year on Australia Day eve 2014 and have long admired his courage, compassion and tenacity. I remember his leadership of the next generation of young indigenous players when he led the formation of an advisory group whose purpose he simply stated as being “Leaders of today for our brothers of tomorrow.”

As proud as I was of Adam then, I have been dismayed by the scope of negative energy (his words) which has been directed at him by football fans throughout this season. I know that Adam’s preference has been not to call it out in the hope it would go away but clearly it hasn’t and the impact has been significant.

Adam like our own Nicky Winmar before him, has been prepared to stand up and be heard on what he believes in. That gets some people offside who might hold different perspectives and some might think Adam is getting ahead of himself, or others might even not particularly like the way he goes about his footy.

I guarantee not everyone who has booed Adam does so on the base of race, but I’m equally confident that others find permission within that orchestra of derision to express an emotion which would be condemned if done as a lone voice.

Because this is the case, we must desist and call it out. I congratulate the players and leaders of our game who have been prepared to do so this week, including our skipper who today joined the other 17 club captains to call on fans to stamp out behaviours which only detract from our great game and those who play it.

We hope that by the time comes for us to host the Swans in Round 22 that we can celebrate the career of one of our game’s greats, and that Adam feels sufficiently supported to return to the field of play by then.

As for this weekend, on Sunday our players will join their peers from Port Adelaide to make an on-field, pre-game statement in support of fairness and respect. In so doing, they will be joined by some past champions who together will symbolically unite our two clubs behind these principles. Because we should. Because we can.
http://www.saints.com.au/news/2015-07-3 ... 4_30534920
ace wrote:I look to a day when people will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.
Sheeeiiittt. Again, some mighty wise words there partners. Mighty wise words. :idea:

Warning: Press only in situations of extreme disbelief!
######### http://shiiiit.com/ #########
####### Image #######

About a simple man who was horrifically punished by
the powers that be for the terrible crime of trying to
bring light to the common people.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Our CEO Matt Finnis supporting our captain Nick Riewoldt:

"This week has been one of those times where our game transcends the wins and losses and team rivalries and is at the forefront of social debate across the nation, albeit for reasons we would rather have not occurred.

Like some others at the Saints, I’m fortunate enough to know Adam Goodes as a footballer, leader and a friend. I remember being enormously proud when he was unveiled as Australian of the Year on Australia Day eve 2014 and have long admired his courage, compassion and tenacity. I remember his leadership of the next generation of young indigenous players when he led the formation of an advisory group whose purpose he simply stated as being “Leaders of today for our brothers of tomorrow.”

As proud as I was of Adam then, I have been dismayed by the scope of negative energy (his words) which has been directed at him by football fans throughout this season. I know that Adam’s preference has been not to call it out in the hope it would go away but clearly it hasn’t and the impact has been significant.

Adam like our own Nicky Winmar before him, has been prepared to stand up and be heard on what he believes in. That gets some people offside who might hold different perspectives and some might think Adam is getting ahead of himself, or others might even not particularly like the way he goes about his footy.

I guarantee not everyone who has booed Adam does so on the base of race, but I’m equally confident that others find permission within that orchestra of derision to express an emotion which would be condemned if done as a lone voice.

Because this is the case, we must desist and call it out. I congratulate the players and leaders of our game who have been prepared to do so this week, including our skipper who today joined the other 17 club captains to call on fans to stamp out behaviours which only detract from our great game and those who play it.

We hope that by the time comes for us to host the Swans in Round 22 that we can celebrate the career of one of our game’s greats, and that Adam feels sufficiently supported to return to the field of play by then.

As for this weekend, on Sunday our players will join their peers from Port Adelaide to make an on-field, pre-game statement in support of fairness and respect. In so doing, they will be joined by some past champions who together will symbolically unite our two clubs behind these principles. Because we should. Because we can."

Great to see real leaders standing up to the bullyboy thugs who think they run this country -eg Bolt, Jones, Mitchell, and Kennett.

bigcarlosis
Club Player

Bernard Shakey wrote:Can't believe so many Saints supporters are racist!
Is that why we have no indigenous players on our list?
17 clubs choc full of racists and one club (Sydney) has none?
Doesn't that seem odd to you?
Statistics, sociology, psychology, demographics or
ANY way you measure it doesn't make sense.
Maybe "Racism" then is just a word that "intra-racial racists"
use to put down those people that don't share their view.
In the process making themselves feel somehow superior!

Austinnn
Club Player

Who ever said Sydney has no racists?

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
Austinnn
Club Player

perfectionist wrote:Our CEO Matt Finnis supporting our captain Nick Riewoldt:

"This week has been one of those times where our game transcends the wins and losses and team rivalries and is at the forefront of social debate across the nation, albeit for reasons we would rather have not occurred.

As for this weekend, on Sunday our players will join their peers from Port Adelaide to make an on-field, pre-game statement in support of fairness and respect. In so doing, they will be joined by some past champions who together will symbolically unite our two clubs behind these principles. Because we should. Because we can."

Great to see real leaders standing up to the bullyboy thugs who think they run this country -eg Bolt, Jones, Mitchell, and Kennett.
+1000

Well put

Just My Opinion

You'll Never Walk Alone
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Well you should name them, if that's what you believe. Otherwise aren't you complicit in allowing them to flourish?

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I'm not comfortable to have an opinion on this racism issue.

I guess that's what shocks me, how opinionated we've become as footballer followers.

Not about free kicks, umpiring or positions.

When did footy get so dangerously mingled with life issues?

Too much passion, grog and emotion surely?

Good luck Adam, but I reckon you're a bit like Maccas trying to deliver fine dining to people sitting on moulded plastic chairs and drinking from straws.

I guess I just had an opinion, but my opinion is that we're all too opinionated....

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:...When did footy get so dangerously mingled with life issues?...
The day the first game was played. It was a game to be played between two opposing sides. It is a metaphor for many of the conflicts between humans. As such, it is a measure of how far humans have come. Rather than choosing sides and actually killing people, a game is played and we go home after it relatively unscathed.

I have witnessed much racism from crowds over the years. After Nicky Winmar lifted his jumper, after years of taunts and race hate comments from the crowd (and some players), he was even more mercilessly targeted by some in the media at the time, like Sam Newman, who made exactly the same ignorant comments that his made about Adam Goodes. Newman even blacked his face to poke fun at Nicky on one occasion. The fact that a creep like Newman can still command TV time is an indictment on those who employ him - money trumps ethics. People forget that targeting players with comments on the field was very common up until just a decade or so ago. "Part of the game" idiots like Newman, Shaw and Carey would say. It took brave men to stand up and be counted and many suffered because of it, particularly from the redneck media. But that battle was finally won, not least of all because of players like Nick Riewoldt, who has never subscribed to the "part of the game" rubbish. Players now respect each other as professionals but play the game just as hard as ever. Racism wasn't such an essential part of the game after all.

What would you do, if in round 22, you were near or next to someone who made a racist comment about Adam Goodes? Would it be different is they made a racist comment about Shane Savage? I'm sure you have an opinion about that. The question is not whether you have an a opinion (everyone has them), but what you are prepared to do about it should the situation arise (it's always easier to do nothing or look the other way).

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:
SainterK wrote:...When did footy get so dangerously mingled with life issues?...
The day the first game was played. It was a game to be played between two opposing sides. It is a metaphor for many of the conflicts between humans. As such, it is a measure of how far humans have come. Rather than choosing sides and actually killing people, a game is played and we go home after it relatively unscathed.

I have witnessed much racism from crowds over the years. After Nicky Winmar lifted his jumper, after years of taunts and race hate comments from the crowd (and some players), he was even more mercilessly targeted by some in the media at the time, like Sam Newman, who made exactly the same ignorant comments that his made about Adam Goodes. Newman even blacked his face to poke fun at Nicky on one occasion. The fact that a creep like Newman can still command TV time is an indictment on those who employ him - money trumps ethics. People forget that targeting players with comments on the field was very common up until just a decade or so ago. "Part of the game" idiots like Newman, Shaw and Carey would say. It took brave men to stand up and be counted and many suffered because of it, particularly from the redneck media. But that battle was finally won, not least of all because of players like Nick Riewoldt, who has never subscribed to the "part of the game" rubbish. Players now respect each other as professionals but play the game just as hard as ever. Racism wasn't such an essential part of the game after all.

What would you do, if in round 22, you were near or next to someone who made a racist comment about Adam Goodes? Would it be different is they made a racist comment about Shane Savage? I'm sure you have an opinion about that. The question is not whether you have an a opinion (everyone has them), but what you are prepared to do about it should the situation arise (it's always easier to do nothing or look the other way).
Who is the enemy here?
Who are the media and football captains rallying against as a 'unified voice against evil'??
IF its racism - who is actually disagreeing with them? - Goodes was previously racially attacked and that was rightly dealt with...on this occasion where is the racism?
IF its cause people boo football players who they love and hate (more often because of how good they are than anything else - I hate Sam Micthell...dirty sniper and boo often when he goes near it.....but I know he can play) - then that makes no sense.
Even Finnis's very agreeable puff piece above (who could honestly disagreeing with that???? ) - even that has to 'conjure' an enemy so the article makes sense when he talks about 'apparently' those minority who just 'might' be booing without pure intent......WTF is that??
Political correctness gone mad.
Play football Adam and IF you are racially abused by all means lets call it out and deal with it - but lets not start pandering to what people's 'perspectives' might be on what they think is happening and in the process tarnish many genuine people who just enjoy the sport and the associated theatre of it for what it is without the politics.

“Yeah….nah””
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

I'll preface this by saying I am late to this thread and therefore have not had a chance to read it all so apologies if this has been listed before but here goes.

Time Line:
Australian of the Year - 26/01/2014
13yo girl (face of racism) - 24/05/2013 (Round 9 v Collingwood)
Round 7 v Hawks 11/05/2013 (2 week prior to Collingwood game) 2 minutes in
Round 5 2012 v Hawks (first 2 minutes I've watched with two goals to Goodes but also booing by the crowd)

It appears this booing started in at least 2012 and possibly by the Hawks fans (although I'm not sure of that). Having said that the booing started well before the racism remark by the 13 yo girl and also well before the Aussie of the year award. It appears that the pointing out of the 13 yo girl as the face of racism sent the booing over the edge to then occur by most team's supporters (which would make it racist) however there was booing well prior to this incident.

A very complex issue!

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Are you being funny because I didn't think supporters had any say in the recruitment of players.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Clayton Davis wrote:
Matt Finnis wrote:This week has been one of those times where our game transcends the wins and losses and team rivalries and is at the forefront of social debate across the nation, albeit for reasons we would rather have not occurred.

As for this weekend, on Sunday our players will join their peers from Port Adelaide to make an on-field, pre-game statement in support of fairness and respect. In so doing, they will be joined by some past champions who together will symbolically unite our two clubs behind these principles. Because we should. Because we can.
http://www.saints.com.au/news/2015-07-3 ... 4_30534920
ace wrote:I look to a day when people will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.
Sheeeiiittt. Again, some mighty wise words there partners. Mighty wise words. :idea:
Shiiiiiiiit Clay. You are a man of the people. Surely you can smooth this out with the conflicting parties. Calm the waters Clay style. Shiiiiit.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

In a match for St Kilda against Collingwood in Round 4 of the 1993 season, Winmar was racially abused by members of the Collingwood cheersquad, who yelled for him to "go and sniff some petrol" and "go walkabout where you came from

Winmar was involved in a number of controversial incidents involving alleged acts of racial vilification against him by other players and staff during his career. In 1998, after Winmar's outburst against Carlton, former Hawthorn player Dermott Brereton publicly apologised to Winmar and Russell Jeffrey for abusing them in a game in 1990. In March 1999, television presenter and former footballer Sam Newman appeared on the The Footy Show in blackface after Winmar cancelled an appearance on the show in favour of appearing on a rival network

This is the kind high kwaaaaaaalllity(sic) stuff Nicky had to put up with. But hey, I guess it has 'always been part of the game' so he shouldn't have complained. Stay classy.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

A West Coast Eagles fan, shouting to Adam Goodes last weekend:"Get back to the zoo!"
The same fan, explains himself afterwards: "It was just part of the banter of the game." His ejection, he said, was "humiliating".

Always been part of the game. Stay classy folks.

Austinnn
Club Player

It's interesting how the Booers seem to be angry or upset with the 'chattering classes' (as Johnnie Howard used to call some of us.)

Just put aside your opinion on the issue and actually consider why things panned out this way, and how anyone could have hoped for a different outcome.

I suppose I'm a fully paid up member of the chattering class, whatever the hell that means. So here's a message to the pro-boo faction, and its not a challenge or an insult:

I'll give you guys a red hot tip: your beef isn't with us. It's with the legion amongst you who have spoilt all your fun. I agree that you should be able to boo players you don't like, within limits of decency of course.

But because a pack of throwbacks have hidden amongst you and used you as cover for them to release what has been openly frowned on for years now, now you are accused of being something you are not, and you may not even be free to enjoy your footy the way you like.

Thanks to them, not us.

Just like the number one enemy of moderate Muslims is Islamic terrorists, your number one enemy should be the racists who've swallowed you up and made you monsters like them in the eyes of the rest of us.

Just My Opinion

You'll Never Walk Alone
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarlosis wrote:
17 clubs choc full of racists and one club (Sydney) has none?
Doesn't that seem odd to you?
Statistics, sociology, psychology, demographics or
ANY way you measure it doesn't make sense.
Maybe "Racism" then is just a word that "intra-racial racists"
use to put down those people that don't share their view.
In the process making themselves feel somehow superior!

Interesting conclusion. Makes no sense though.

mullet
Saintsational Legend

Austinnn wrote:Seems to be a generational thing. A lot of the old farts on here seem to be the ones who want to boo. Different world back then I guess. Let's hope their descendants have more decency.
be careful about putting people into boxes. That is what this whole thread is about. Rash generalisations.
what constitutes being an "old fart"

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

mullet wrote:
Austinnn wrote:Seems to be a generational thing. A lot of the old farts on here seem to be the ones who want to boo. Different world back then I guess. Let's hope their descendants have more decency.
be careful about putting people into boxes. That is what this whole thread is about. Rash generalisations.

Someone old who farts a lot.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Austinnn wrote:Who ever said Sydney has no racists?
The worst racism I ever experienced was in Sydney at an inner city pub. We were back packing and were hanging out with a guy from Peru, we were pub hopping in the inner city. We got a reasonably decent bar, I went up for a round and the guy behind the bar told me to get my "abo" out of his pub. I thought he was being ironic or some kind of inappropriate joke so ignored it and re ordered. He told me he would get a bat out from behind the bar and cave all our heads in. I tried to explain he didn't even get the race right but decided we should go. We had to walk the Peruvian out by his arms he was so irate. He was going to try to stand up to the guy. We ended up going elsewhere but it really shook all of us a ruined our night.

I used to know a guy who had a bar in Fitzroy street St Kilda who famously threw Yothu Yindi out of his bar because he just assumed they were some of the locals that used to hang out in the park drinking from goon boxes. He destroyed his business from his casual racism and he was someone who would have considered himself open minded. Sometimes we don't even realise we are racist.

I have friends from WA who reckon Melbourne people are more preachy about racism because they have a lot less racial tension. South Australians and Western Australians have a lot more interaction but there is also more of a cultural tension which includes racism.

markp
Saintsational Legend

Do you reckon AD misses his job?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:I'll preface this by saying I am late to this thread and therefore have not had a chance to read it all so apologies if this has been listed before but here goes.

Time Line:
Australian of the Year - 26/01/2014
13yo girl (face of racism) - 24/05/2013 (Round 9 v Collingwood)
Round 7 v Hawks 11/05/2013 (2 week prior to Collingwood game) 2 minutes in
Round 5 2012 v Hawks (first 2 minutes I've watched with two goals to Goodes but also booing by the crowd)

It appears this booing started in at least 2012 and possibly by the Hawks fans (although I'm not sure of that). Having said that the booing started well before the racism remark by the 13 yo girl and also well before the Aussie of the year award. It appears that the pointing out of the 13 yo girl as the face of racism sent the booing over the edge to then occur by most team's supporters (which would make it racist) however there was booing well prior to this incident.

A very complex issue!

Interesting. you are right, and whilst the second clip shows Adam at his best, the first clip shows Adam at his worst and gives some credibility to certain arguments.

A very complex issue indeed, which unfortunately has been hijacked by the extremists, both left and right for their own ends. It has created a field day for flogs to pontificate and lecture to the general populace.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:Do you reckon AD misses his job?
I reckon he's doing a little gig every time another "issue" comes up. Like a banker who took his bonuses and ran a week before the GFC he must be laughing.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Austinnn wrote:It's interesting how the Booers seem to be angry or upset with the 'chattering classes' (as Johnnie Howard used to call some of us.)

Just put aside your opinion on the issue and actually consider why things panned out this way, and how anyone could have hoped for a different outcome.

I suppose I'm a fully paid up member of the chattering class, whatever the hell that means. So here's a message to the pro-boo faction, and its not a challenge or an insult:

I'll give you guys a red hot tip: your beef isn't with us. It's with the legion amongst you who have spoilt all your fun. I agree that you should be able to boo players you don't like, within limits of decency of course.

But because a pack of throwbacks have hidden amongst you and used you as cover for them to release what has been openly frowned on for years now, now you are accused of being something you are not, and you may not even be free to enjoy your footy the way you like.

Thanks to them, not us.

Just like the number one enemy of moderate Muslims is Islamic terrorists, your number one enemy should be the racists who've swallowed you up and made you monsters like them in the eyes of the rest of us.
Oh, for f**** sake. As I said this issue has been done to death and is now a forum for flogs to pontificate and lecture to those who share a different view.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

mullet wrote:
That particular poster is becoming really objectionable. I don't know who he is referring to, but I for one don't boo players and have never supported the booing of any individual including Goodes, Milne or Carey even.

I did however once join in when saints supporters started chanting that Carey was a wanker. Stirred him right up and caused him to tear us a new one.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Austinnn wrote: Yeah, as a Brit I feel ashamed that we've messed about with half the world and indirectly and directly caused much conflict. I can't feel guilty, I don't know if that's what you want, but most British people know our history.

Can't believe I'm actually responding to this, again. It's like arguing with a mental patient. Your logic is truly bizarre. Imagine if you were a lawyer.
Well you should feel guilty .That's exactly what you are trying to make us feel. You arrogent bastards invaded China, India, Ireland Australia and Africa among others.. You treated the locals as second class citizens, in your superiority,referred to the Irish as white niggers, introduced the Chinese to opium and used Australians as cannon fodder in two world wars that really were none of our business. And then you have the hide to lecture to us from a foreign land. You are the one that should be well and truly embarrassed as you are still occupying parts of Ireland.