Round 22 Adam Goodes

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

markp
Saintsational Legend

Re: Round 22 Adam Goodes

Like it or not the two duelling public (mostly among the non-footy going majority) narratives are that only goodes gets (constantly) booed, and it is entirely racist, vs it's people booing because they disapprove of his stand/speech while Australian of the year, his bullying of a child, 'threatening' war dance, and it has absolutely nothing to do with racism.

Both are bs.

And given the afl's handling of previous issues, and their obvious preference for manufactured outcomes, you'll forgive me for being slightly sceptical about the statements coming from the afl, swans, other clubs, the announcement about goodes being too distressed to play, and the 'spontaneous' decision to wear dreamtime jumpers this weekend. Smacks of a contrived campaign to me.

So given the absolutist are now at war here, it's either un-Australian if you boo, or un-Australian if you're not allowed to and don't.

In short, it's going really well.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Austinnn wrote:
True Believer wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
satchmo wrote:
True Believer wrote:I'd rather leave the final word on this to a very eloquent aboriginal man called Dallas Scott:

http://theblacksteamtrain.blogspot.com. ... ol-of.html

Didn't anyone else read this?

Very powerful stuff. Great to hear from the more relevant perspective at last.

I heard Nova Peris. She said nothing like that. She seems pretty relevant to me.
Right - so an opinion from a full-blood aboriginal man, about purported racism towards a part aboriginal footballer, is to be dismissed out of hand because it doesn't conform to the prevailing orthodoxy being sought by the wailing classes......
The wailing classes: good one. Just like Johnny Howard's chattering classes for all dissenters. How about we call each other names cos that's the way forward. Just one to the keepers of the status quo there.

Everyone of all opinions can find someone more respected and eloquent to support their view.

I read this the article Satchmo linked to. I can see his point, that's his opinion. I agree with some bits, not with others.

But making his opinion gospel just because he is an aboriginal is just like saying all Aboriginal people feel the same, want the same, identify with aboriginality the same, identify with aussieness the same, essentially are the same.

Just like saying that Alan Jones and I want the same and feel the same because we're both white.

In other words, its racist!

So everyone can find an aboriginal voice to support their own views - loads of Aboriginal people don't give 2 s***s about land rights either, and are happy to mine the f*** out of their ancestors' land.

Back to Adam Goodes - a pampered prince perhaps but you keyboard warriors decrying him as a softcock will probably never get to feel how he felt or is feeling, living nice and safe in Australian suburbs and cities.

When you're booing him as is your freedom in a nice big stadium built on the back of players such as him, think of yourselves and your ancestors being treated like a mixture of animals and deviants just for being you.

The closest a white Australian could ever get to that experience is maybe moving to Saudi Arabia or Pakistan, but then you are not a native of the land do its still not quite as hurtful.
Firstly - I linked to the Dallas Scott article, not Satchmo.
Secondly I never said his opinion is gospel, I merely pointed him out in response to the broad brush generalizations being bandied about by those purporting to speak on h\behalf of our indigenous population.
Thirdly - Interestingly I never heard the opinions of the aboriginals that don't care about land rights or mining - wonder why that is?
Finally - "you keyboard warriors decrying him as a softcock will probably never get to feel how he felt or is feeling, living nice and safe in Australian suburbs and cities" - Where the f*** exactly do you think Adam Goodes lives - in a cave under Ayers Rock???

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Austinnn wrote: How about we call each other names cos that's the way forward.
Back to Adam Goodes - a pampered prince perhaps but you keyboard warriors .........
Any one notice the irony and hypocracy in Austin's with three n's post.
Last edited by saynta on Thu 30 Jul 2015 6:12pm, edited 1 time in total.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:
Austinnn wrote:
True Believer wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
satchmo wrote:
True Believer wrote:I'd rather leave the final word on this to a very eloquent aboriginal man called Dallas Scott:

I heard Nova Peris. She said nothing like that. She seems pretty relevant to me.
Right - so an opinion from a full-blood aboriginal man, about purported racism towards a part aboriginal footballer, is to be dismissed out of hand because it doesn't conform to the prevailing orthodoxy being sought by the wailing classes......
The wailing classes: good one. Just like Johnny Howard's chattering classes for all dissenters. How about we call each other names cos that's the way forward. Just one to the keepers of the status quo there.

Everyone of all opinions can find someone more respected and eloquent to support their view.

I read this the article Satchmo linked to. I can see his point, that's his opinion. I agree with some bits, not with others.

But making his opinion gospel just because he is an aboriginal is just like saying all Aboriginal people feel the same, want the same, identify with aboriginality the same, identify with aussieness the same, essentially are the same.

Just like saying that Alan Jones and I want the same and feel the same because we're both white.

So everyone can find an aboriginal voice to support their own views - loads of Aboriginal people don't give 2 s***s about land rights either, and are happy to mine the f*** out of their ancestors' land.

Back to Adam Goodes - a pampered prince perhaps but you keyboard warriors decrying him as a softcock will probably never get to feel how he felt or is feeling, living nice and safe in Australian suburbs and cities.

When you're booing him as is your freedom in a nice big stadium built on the back of players such as him, think of yourselves and your ancestors being treated like a mixture of animals and deviants just for being you.

The closest a white Australian could ever get to that experience is maybe moving to Saudi Arabia or Pakistan, but then you are not a native of the land do its still not quite as hurtful.
Firstly - I linked to the Dallas Scott article, not Satchmo.
Secondly I never said his opinion is gospel, I merely pointed him out in response to the broad brush generalizations being bandied about by those purporting to speak on h\behalf of our indigenous population.
Thirdly - Interestingly I never heard the opinions of the aboriginals that don't care about land rights or mining - wonder why that is?
Finally - "you keyboard warriors decrying him as a softcock will probably never get to feel how he felt or is feeling, living nice and safe in Australian suburbs and cities" - Where the f*** exactly do you think Adam Goodes lives - in a cave under Ayers Rock???
Don't engage with him mate, the guy is a pom living in France for gawd's sake.

I don't know how goodes anscesters were treated, but half of them were poms and probably were deviants. Well some of them anyway.
Last edited by saynta on Thu 30 Jul 2015 6:17pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Bronwyn said sorry.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:Bronwyn said sorry.
That was a surprise coming from such a thoroughly detestable creature.

The Disch
Club Player

True Believer wrote:
Old Mate wrote:Goodes getting booed has a racist undertone. Those booing likely don't even realise they are racists it's that engrained in them.

Society doesn't like the fact an aboriginal is so outspoken about his culture and that racism still exists in society. Society demands Goodes 'get back in his box', where aboriginals belong. How dare Goodes be the person he is.

A Caucasian preaching similar views would be seen as a hero.

Yes - agree with the OP
Right - thanks for pointing out people's motivations to them - clearly all the herd of whitey's are too dumb to even know why they do something or how they feel - perhaps you can march them all off to "education" centres to be "retrained".

The fact is that a significant number of people think that Adam Goodes is a first class whining flog - black, white or purple. He was awarded the exalted position of Australian of the Year and rather than use it as a platform to try and bring all Australians closer together as a community, he has chosen to berate every white Australian at every opportunity (despite being more than 50% white himself) for purported crimes of two centuries ago. He then chose to "fight racism" by bullying a 13 year old child.

He has done nothing more than stand on the shoulders of giants like Nicky Winmar and Michael Long and then mewl like a kitten. The vast majority of our community are not racist and I am yet to meet anyone that believes that aboriginals belong "in their place". However, most people I have met do subscribe to Dr Martin Luther Kings assertion that a man should be judged by the content of his character, not the colour of his skin.

Tell me, if Goodes were white, would there be an issue with him being booed by everyone for being a flog? I think a large part of the issue now is that the general public are reacting to being told how they should think. I heard the ridiculous statement from some talking head yesterday that "if you boo Adam Goodes you are racist". I tend to think that it is exactly that kind of bulls*** statement that is fueling the public's behaviour. Aussies have a reasonably good bulls*** sensor, and I think that sensor is detecting something.
Jason Akermanis was white and im pretty sure he was booed by the majority of opposition supporters, every time he went near the ball, because he was considered a flog.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

The Disch wrote:
True Believer wrote:
Old Mate wrote:Goodes getting booed has a racist undertone. Those booing likely don't even realise they are racists it's that engrained in them.

Society doesn't like the fact an aboriginal is so outspoken about his culture and that racism still exists in society. Society demands Goodes 'get back in his box', where aboriginals belong. How dare Goodes be the person he is.

A Caucasian preaching similar views would be seen as a hero.

Yes - agree with the OP
Right - thanks for pointing out people's motivations to them - clearly all the herd of whitey's are too dumb to even know why they do something or how they feel - perhaps you can march them all off to "education" centres to be "retrained".

The fact is that a significant number of people think that Adam Goodes is a first class whining flog - black, white or purple. He was awarded the exalted position of Australian of the Year and rather than use it as a platform to try and bring all Australians closer together as a community, he has chosen to berate every white Australian at every opportunity (despite being more than 50% white himself) for purported crimes of two centuries ago. He then chose to "fight racism" by bullying a 13 year old child.

He has done nothing more than stand on the shoulders of giants like Nicky Winmar and Michael Long and then mewl like a kitten. The vast majority of our community are not racist and I am yet to meet anyone that believes that aboriginals belong "in their place". However, most people I have met do subscribe to Dr Martin Luther Kings assertion that a man should be judged by the content of his character, not the colour of his skin.

Tell me, if Goodes were white, would there be an issue with him being booed by everyone for being a flog? I think a large part of the issue now is that the general public are reacting to being told how they should think. I heard the ridiculous statement from some talking head yesterday that "if you boo Adam Goodes you are racist". I tend to think that it is exactly that kind of bulls*** statement that is fueling the public's behaviour. Aussies have a reasonably good bulls*** sensor, and I think that sensor is detecting something.
Jason Akermanis was white and im pretty sure he was booed by the majority of opposition supporters, every time he went near the ball, because he was considered a flog.
Yeah, saw him interview. He said he was booed all the time and reckoned that Goodsie was a sook and was letting his team down.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

asaint
Club Player

Why would I listen to a white guys opinion? If the aboriginal community are offended, then that should be the end of it. Not for us to tell them what should or should not upset them.

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
Ease up. He's not such a bad guy.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

satchmo wrote:
saynta wrote:
Ease up. He's not such a bad guy.
I saw what you did there.....

ace
Saintsational Legend

Austinnn wrote:Deleted
Racist

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
markp
Saintsational Legend

She must sense she's been moved from probation to death row.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:Image

Ill give you the red hot tip. Booing Adam Goodes isnt 'sticking it to the man.'

jamesmc
Club Player

Maybe Goodes should take this attitude of a soccer player in Europe.
Maybe in the last round we all bring a piece of fruit as a sort of peace offering.
http://edition.cnn.com/2014/04/28/sport ... -football/

saynta
Saintsational Legend

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victor ... 7463347554

Rita Panahi 82.13%

Warwick Green 17.87%

That's surprising, even from herald sun readers.

Personally I think there is a racist element in all this.

ace
Saintsational Legend

happy feet wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:With Goodes woosing out of playing this week he wins AFL Softcock of the Year award hands down.

FFS his team is playing a HOME game vs Adelaide. It's not an interstate game vs. a hostile supporter base.

Cleary he is not playing to increase the Swans chance of winning. That has to be the real reason.

The media should really get stuck into him now and show it up for what's really going on.

And go Adelaide naturally!

You have no idea what he is going through so don't tell us he is a softcock. From some of the things you say you don't get racism at all and will never get it. And the media should not get stuck into him. You have a really warped brain. Maybe im being polite suggesting a brain.

And like a few on here im pretty sure you will boo him when we play them even though many people in the industry have suggested not too. If you your gollies from that your life must be lacking something and that goes for all the others who will still boo.
+1
And the complaint about calling someone an APE is that you are implying that they are less than human, less than human in intelligence.
You call that racist but only if it is directed at someone with dark skin.
If however you call someone for having a warped brain or no brain you are placing them lower than an APE.

I guess that makes you lower than a racist but still human.

Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

plugger66 wrote:
CURLY wrote:
Just a small example. My son and his mates all love football and three of them are the best in their age group. They have never played on the MCG. The two young part indiginous boys that are average at best play 2 or three times a year have been to AFL coaching clinics. Is this fair? Why shouldnt my son be treated the same.

No idea. Have the courage to speak to the relevant people. No idea what that has to do with discussion at all.
I might suggest the powers that be dont want someone screaming abuse at umpires in an auskick game

Seeya
ace
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:
Austinnn wrote:
True Believer wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
satchmo wrote:

I lived and worked in Saudi for 4 and a half years - 5 footy seasons
The worst was not getting to see any footy.
When India was playing a cricket test match the apartment block housekeepers would switch one of the TV channels and that showed a few Aussie rules games, but normally we only got american sport channels.

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

True Believer wrote:Where the f*** exactly do you think Adam Goodes lives - in a cave under Ayers Rock???
Uluru.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
asiu
Saintsational Legend

So given the absolutist are now at war here, it's either un-Australian if you boo, or un-Australian if you're not allowed to and don't. 
In short, it's going really well.
divide and conquer
divide and conquer
divide and conquer
ad infinitum
divide and conquer
divide and conquer
divide and conquer
ad nauseum

there's always 3 sides to every story ,
with two using the divide and conquer routine

Scary stuff.

'n the people play along , using the same technique , on each other.

Divided 'n Conquered we fall.

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Austinnn
Club Player

True Believer wrote: Firstly - I linked to the Dallas Scott article, not Satchmo.
Points 1 & 2 - fair enough
3 - couldn't tell you, though I suppose you'll tell me. Don't worry, the mining advocates were certainly not hesitant in promoting them.
Final point - fair enough, badly phrased on my part. Let me try again.

Adam Goodes has it easy compared to Polly Farmer and so on. But compared to Kurt Tippett or Jason frigging Akermanis? As I said, if anyone thinks it's an easy life and he's being a sook, try standing up for something and facing a large angry boozed up mob of people who just want to shut you up. Try dealing with centuries of racism against you. I'm sure he can handle being booed for being a dirty player. Its pretty easy to tell the difference, you can hear it you can see it on faces.

Things are a bit better now because the violence has mostly stopped, but the mindset remains, its easy to see. I can see it, loads of people from outside the so called wailing classes can see it, so I'd imagine Goodes can clearly see it. Some people refuse to.

Anyway, I think I'll have to give up here, so I'm sure you'll be happy.

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

I really think that some peeps are overplaying the 'girl pointing' and the 'war dance'. Though I too don't really agree with either, I don't think they are demonizing offences, and being a privileged white person, I can't really appreciate how/what he was feeling at those times.

That latter phrase I see as the crux of Con's point about 'casual racism'.

Or maybe... 'unintended racism'? As we simply don't realise the hurt certain words can cause to certain people(?)

I was no fan of Goodes the footballer nor the man. But after looking up a few things about what he does, I'm now a big fan of the man. (Still not a fan of the footballer who plays for the Sydney Swine parasites though. :evil: )

And I can't resist adding some thoughts re that blog TB shared with us. The bloke made some very good points, but overall, IMHO he was a bit 'out there'.

The paragraph (as highlighted by Satch') was a classic. Implying that us 'hand wringing whites' are merely doing so to try and darken our alabaster skin! :shock: Hey, I'm envious, no, I'm jealous (and pale :( ), that there's no way I can get a tan... but, I didn't realise that that fact had so damaged my psyche. :lol:

And criticising Goodes for pushing aboriginal causes AND being well off!?! :shock:

Seriously? So no one who lives in Toorak or East Bentleigh should give a damn about workers' rights, let alone the plight of people living in third world poverty? :shock: Like I said, that bloke is 'out there'.

Back to Goodes. As I said, that 'casual/unintended racism' point is at the crux of soooooo much of this, I reckon.

Most of us are fortunate enough to have never been in a position that would allow us to empathise with the hurt that what we may consider trivial could cause.

And it seems to me, an awareness of this is what Goodes is trying raise... he's not trying to demonize us. :idea:

So maybe for many of us... we're not racist, just a bit bloody lucky(?)

Sorry, nearly forgot... happy Austinnn? :wink:

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
bigcarlosis
Club Player

Boethius has a say . .
This correspondent has had a fair bit to say on the Adam Goodes booing controversy, most of it self confessed satirical tosh designed to mock the do-gooders who would tell a stadium full of Australians how to behave, and would do well to take a crash course in Crowd Psychology 101 (Boethius recommends the AFL commission acquaint themselves with the classic 1896 work of Gustave le Bon on the psychology and sociology of crowds if for no other purpose, than to appreciate their own clientele and grasp why lecturing crowds on social niceties is not a clever move).

http://www.xyz.net.au/on-hurt-feelings- ... ntroversy/

and Nathan comments . . . .

Nathan July 29, 2015 at 7:30 pm
Yep!
The big player in this is the AFL, for a long while playing their left wing social engineering, highlighted with playing ball with the then Gillard Labor govt trying to distract from accusations of her dishonest and illegal behaviour by accusing not just the AFL but all Australian sport of dishonesty and cheating, making a spectacle of Australia to the whole world. What became of that?
Here again, so anxious to propagate their PC, interrogate the 13 year old without her parent present and yes, parade her before the world. Goodes reaction should have been immediately to accept that he over-reacted because of past racist attacks, that he’s sorry that she copped it and ‘lets leave her out of it’. He could have then shared his story and many would have been onside. But he and the AFL had little concern about the impact on this young girl rather seeing his own hurt as the much bigger issue despite the fact that he is a grown adult, a very successful and well paid sportsman, probably a pin-up on a lot of young lads walls, well respected amongst his peers. He played the victim card and got the pay-off. The AFL should be ashamed of itself. It manufactured this. Why was Goodes not disciplined and fined for aggressive actions to the crowd like every other player and coach? Why is he given such a free pass?
The hypocrisy is why people are upset.