Round 22 Adam Goodes

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Re: Round 22 Adam Goodes

Just saw a clip of Alan Jones suggesting that Goodes take a look in the mirror and ask himself why they are booing. :shock: My eyes are bleeding.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
fingers
Saintsational Legend

The whole thing is a total cluster f***. Either side of whatever argument. Nobody wins.

Austinnn
Club Player

Just thinking about that definition of nationalism, I realise that it is dependent on the context.

For example, an Englishman identifies with being English but has probably never had the disadvantage of oppressive prejudice towards his nation throughout history.

However, someone from Croatia, Bosnia, Ireland, Scotland, any other country which has taken a battering in territorial conflict may feel that for them, nationalist insults are worse than racist insults.

They say that offence is taken and not given and I think in the case of insults against particular groups its who you identify strongly with.

For example, if you wanted to insult me, you could say something about Jewish people or something about English people. I think I would probably get more hurt about an insult towards the English because I identify more strongly with that group, even though I have claims to both.

Adam Goodes identifies stronger than some other aboriginal people with his aboriginaity and probably very little with the white half of his dna, or indeed his pommie heritage. It's not for us to tell him who he is.

Anyway that's just me thinking, that is it from me. I think like everybody says we've gone about as far as we need to.
Last edited by Austinnn on Wed 29 Jul 2015 11:14pm, edited 1 time in total.

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

fingers wrote:The whole thing is a total cluster f***. Either side of whatever argument. Nobody wins.
No, but the bombers are exhaling for the first time in a while.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
ace
Saintsational Legend

Austinnn wrote:
satchmo wrote:Image

Sorry, someone had to do it...
good point.

except once again, more for their actions than who they are in this case.

EDIT: and it's been a fair bit longer than "a few weeks" Apart from that, a flawless argument.
Oh dear, I fear that once upon a time I booed when Glenn James made an umpiring decision that I thought was incorrect.
I did not realise that in booing his decison I was being racist !

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
ace
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:we won the toss..but down a wicket already :(
If I boo will the poms stop playing because of my racism ?

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

ace wrote:
The Fireman wrote:we won the toss..but down a wicket already :(
If I boo will the poms stop playing because of my racism ?
Well you must have booed the s.hit out of them for the last hundred years you horrible racist

You are garbage - Enough said
sainter104
Club Player

just boo him

matrix
Saintsational Legend

Haven't read passed Austinns post but will when I get home.
Good points.

Put its called racism...isn't it about race?

Jeez we could go on about it for hrs couldn't we.

sainter104
Club Player

just boo him

Austinnn
Club Player

Read the opinion of the mother of the girl who called Goodes an ape. Pretty much agrees with Bunk.

http://m.theage.com.au/afl/sydney-swans ... imqms.html

She's upset cos her daughter - who she has no problem talking to the media about and naming - was exposed by Goodes.
"Picking on a 13-year-old child I thought was absolutely ridiculous and having her questioned by police without an adult being present was absolutely disgusting on the part of himself and the AFL," Joanne said.
I'm not saying she is lying, but is that really Adam Goodes' fault? Did he set that up? Where were her guardians?

I have to say the mum doesn't come across particularly well, but I would certainly feel upset in her position.
Last edited by Austinnn on Thu 30 Jul 2015 6:07am, edited 1 time in total.

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:Haven't read passed Austinns post but will when I get home.
Good points.

Can you tell me what constitues being a "race"??

Because it seems many modern day anthropologists believe there is only one race - the human race - as all living humans belong to the same species/subspecies

Many have now dropped the term "race" and prefer using population or peoples or ethnic groups or communities

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Austinnn
Club Player

Devilhead wrote:
matrix wrote:Haven't read passed Austinns post but will when I get home.
Good points.

Can you tell me what constitues being a "race"??

Because it seems many modern day anthropologists believe there is only one race - the human race - as all living humans belong to the same species/subspecies

Many have now dropped the term "race" and prefer using population or peoples or ethnic groups or communities
Excellent point. I don't know enough about it personally, but that's what my wife was taught here in France, not that things are any better here, but that's another story...

In a way its a battle of semantics, and there's lots of friction between critics of Islam and Muslims who claim that they are being racially abused, again another story and a nasty can of worms. It's interesting, yet at the same time a bit of a distraction from more important issues.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

With Goodes woosing out of playing this week he wins AFL Softcock of the Year award hands down.

FFS his team is playing a HOME game vs Adelaide. It's not an interstate game vs. a hostile supporter base.

Cleary he is not playing to increase the Swans chance of winning. That has to be the real reason.

The media should really get stuck into him now and show it up for what's really going on.

And go Adelaide naturally!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:Can anyone why calling someone with very dark hair, a beard and generally hairy an ape or primate is racist?

Pretty much applies to most blokes that fit that description regardless of skin colour.
Serious????
Yep

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:Can anyone why calling someone with very dark hair, a beard and generally hairy an ape or primate is racist?

Pretty much applies to most blokes that fit that description regardless of skin colour.

I really wonder about these questions? Look it up on the internet. I feel for those who don't know the answer.
I've referred to people I know as part primates/gorillas due to their hairiness (white folks). Maybe not apes but it was in jest. I'm sure many people have done similar.

NoMore
Club Player

All you do gooders need to get a grip. Milner copped it for years and dealt with it. This whole thing is a non event if that flog doesn't come out sooking. Now he needs a week off and his mum to fight his battles. It will now be worse.

The booing clearly is effecting him and the way he plays therefor any supporter who wants to help there team will boo him.

The Sydney media need to keep there dirty filthy corrupt noses out of our game.

If our club supports this flog in anyway I will be done with them.

The afl did nothing when Malthouse called Milbe a rapist now they want to tell all fans that they are wrong and racist. I'm starting to think the only thing we are wrong about is supporting a game run by idiots.

I hope Sam Newman tells it exactly how it is tonight. There are only a few willing to speak the truth in this situation

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:With Goodes woosing out of playing this week he wins AFL Softcock of the Year award hands down.

FFS his team is playing a HOME game vs Adelaide. It's not an interstate game vs. a hostile supporter base.

Cleary he is not playing to increase the Swans chance of winning. That has to be the real reason.

The media should really get stuck into him now and show it up for what's really going on.

You have no idea what he is going through so don't tell us he is a softcock. From some of the things you say you don't get racism at all and will never get it. And the media should not get stuck into him. You have a really warped brain. Maybe im being polite suggesting a brain.

And like a few on here im pretty sure you will boo him when we play them even though many people in the industry have suggested not too. If you get your gollies from that your life must be lacking something and that goes for all the others who will still boo.
Last edited by plugger66 on Thu 30 Jul 2015 8:22am, edited 1 time in total.

happy feet
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:With Goodes woosing out of playing this week he wins AFL Softcock of the Year award hands down.

You have no idea what he is going through so don't tell us he is a softcock. From some of the things you say you don't get racism at all and will never get it. And the media should not get stuck into him. You have a really warped brain. Maybe im being polite suggesting a brain.

And like a few on here im pretty sure you will boo him when we play them even though many people in the industry have suggested not too. If you your gollies from that your life must be lacking something and that goes for all the others who will still boo.
+1

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

And like a few on here im pretty sure you will boo him when we play them even though many people in the industry have suggested not too. If you get your gollies from that your life must be lacking something and that goes for all the others who will still boo.
each to their own chump. each to their own.
You can stick up for Goodesy as long as like and I couldn't care less.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Whilst I agree with your sentiments, there is no need to personally attack the poster. Debate the issue not the person!

gringo
Saintsational Legend

NoMore wrote:All you do gooders need to get a grip. Milner copped it for years and dealt with it. This whole thing is a non event if that flog doesn't come out sooking. Now he needs a week off and his mum to fight his battles. It will now be worse.

The booing clearly is effecting him and the way he plays therefor any supporter who wants to help there team will boo him.

The Sydney media need to keep there dirty filthy corrupt noses out of our game.

If our club supports this flog in anyway I will be done with them.

The afl did nothing when Malthouse called Milbe a rapist now they want to tell all fans that they are wrong and racist. I'm starting to think the only thing we are wrong about is supporting a game run by idiots.

I hope Sam Newman tells it exactly how it is tonight. There are only a few willing to speak the truth in this situation
This is a guy who dressed in black face when a shy Nicky Winmar didn't go on the footy show. Im pretty sure you will get Sam doing something that oversteps the boundaries and the other panelists will pretend to hold slightly more modern views on the matter without actually stopping giggling.

I am happy to have you silent protest by giving up on the club. Im pretty sure most of our players would be pretty pissed off with the public attitude towards a fellow AFL player. They are obviously a little too soft for you so maybe UFC or something would suit better.

markp
Saintsational Legend

Finey 'done some research' and makes a good degree of sense... not saying he entirely nails it, but he expresses some valid alternative reasoning in the face of a tsunami of over-simplification.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:
Austinnn wrote:
satchmo wrote:Image

Sorry, someone had to do it...
good point.

except once again, more for their actions than who they are in this case.

EDIT: and it's been a fair bit longer than "a few weeks" Apart from that, a flawless argument.
Oh dear, I fear that once upon a time I booed when Glenn James made an umpiring decision that I thought was incorrect.
I did not realise that in booing his decison I was being racist !
It really is all a crock of s***. Suggest that Goodsey rings up Glenn James and ask him how to handle the situation.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
darylcowie
Club Player

Is it really that difficult to identify where racist insults are being hurled from the crowd and remove and ban such behaviour, which is appalling to everyone who hears it?

I do think that there are a small minority of Neanderthals who do boo Goodes based on his racial background and this is never tolerable in our society, but I also think the majority of booing is directed at his arrogant attitude on the field, similar to Wayne Carey and also the fact that he has been an outstanding player for an opposition team.

The footy public are well aware that Goodes has crossed the line of acceptable conduct towards many opponents (i.e. knee dropping into or onto them on many occasions) and been given little more than a slap over the wrist for these actions by the AFL.

The cynic in me also wonders why this has come to a head now, when the Swans top 4 chances are suddenly under threat and such an issue could be used to galvanise their playing group towards a better performance this week!

The right to boo an opposition player for their actions on the field (present and past) has always been part of our game and always should be.

In the interests of wishing Adam Goodes a fond farewell (if he plays) in Round 22, every time he goes near the ball I will be cheering (ironically).

its time to make a name for yourself like you've never made before!