How high can we get this year...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Re: How high can we get this year...

Some of you are a bit optimistic. We didn't beat anyone last week. If we win another 2 games I reckon that would be a successful year after taking the wooden spoon last year.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:Some of you are a bit optimistic. We didn't beat anyone last week. If we win another 2 games I reckon that would be a successful year after taking the wooden spoon last year.
Don't worry, there is I am sure a "counter-group" here who will soon have their How low can we get this year thread up. :wink:

But yes 10 wins. Fantasy stuff!!!

I thing we will have a surprise win or two yet, but equally some games where the wheels will fall off for a quarter or two.

The Dogs game showed that our disposal falls off when good pressure is applied and there are certainly opponents in our last 9 games who can apply such pressure.

Other teams will be vunerable to us if we can roll out the team pressure, team play and workrate that we have demonstrated in our last 2 games.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Thu 09 Jul 2015 12:17am, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

The fact that we're even discussing this (mostly) with straight faces is more than any right minded Sainter could have hoped for this season. I'm happy already, and I'll take as many wins as we serve up but I think the eight is a pipe dream (feel free to bump and shame if they prove me wrong).
Hello pick 6, welcome to Seaford ...

Always loyal
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

evo wrote:Think Teflon will be waving goodbye to his love child Parish if our form continues. The surrender monkeys have been very quiet recently.
youre not reading hard enough evo....
yes we beat a rabble in Essendon so I think the flags ours!! :roll:

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SemperFidelis wrote:The fact that we're even discussing this (mostly) with straight faces is more than any right minded Sainter could have hoped for this season. I'm happy already, and I'll take as many wins as we serve up but I think the eight is a pipe dream (feel free to bump and shame if they prove me wrong).

ahhh...the old bet in both camps but hello pick 6!!

i like it.

“Yeah….nah””
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I think this week is a really good test/reality check. 9th v 13th.

I think the Tiges have us covered
We should have the Dees measure I think.
Who knows which Port and Freo will turn up.

So really, if we cant win this week, I think Finals are out of reach.

My prediction. 13th and Pick 6.

If we keep that % above 80 I will take it as a good season.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:I think this week is a really good test/reality check. 9th v 13th.

I think the Tiges have us covered
We should have the Dees measure I think.
Who knows which Port and Freo will turn up.

So really, if we cant win this week, I think Finals are out of reach.

My prediction. 13th and Pick 6.

If we keep that % above 80 I will take it as a good season.
North and Port are looking shakey and present and when you look at their run home we could easily finish about both.

Our range is pick 3 to 8. But presently 8 looks alot more likely than 3.

Dons have their most likely 3 wins over the next weeks. Could loose the lot though. Dees are just back from Darwin though and so that may allow the Dons to win.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Thu 09 Jul 2015 12:25pm, edited 1 time in total.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

We are a much better chance against GWS, even up there, than we are against Port in Adelaide or North down in Tassie. I am more optimistic of us being competitive now than I was before, but can't see us winning them. We have already seen Acres, Curren, and Billings getting injured, and who will probably not play again in the seniors this year. That list will grow as the rounds fly by. We should probably see more inexperienced players like Paddy and Hugh come into the side as well as trying out players like Lee and Markworth, to see if they are worth persevering with.
Melbourne will be desperate to reverse the last game we played and we haven't played well at the G recently, whereas they do. If we win one more game this year I will be rapt, two and that will be an absolutely fantastic effort. I only thought we'd win two all year.
If we do win another one, I would like it to be another huge win, to boost the %.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Wasn't Armo pick 9?

Yes he took a few minutes/half a decade to get going, but just sayin'

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:Some of you are a bit optimistic. We didn't beat anyone last week. If we win another 2 games I reckon that would be a successful year after taking the wooden spoon last year.
Yes we did, We beat Essendon who played well the week before. It was St Kilda and it's pressure that made them give up, not WADA which has been so wrongly credited by so many so called experts.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:We are a much better chance against GWS, even up there, than we are against Port in Adelaide or North down in Tassie. I am more optimistic of us being competitive now than I was before, but can't see us winning them. We have already seen Acres, Curren, and Billings getting injured, and who will probably not play again in the seniors this year. That list will grow as the rounds fly by. We should probably see more inexperienced players like Paddy and Hugh come into the side as well as trying out players like Lee and Markworth, to see if they are worth persevering with.
Melbourne will be desperate to reverse the last game we played and we haven't played well at the G recently, whereas they do. If we win one more game this year I will be rapt, two and that will be an absolutely fantastic effort. I only thought we'd win two all year.
If we do win another one, I would like it to be another huge win, to boost the %.
I predicted 7 wins at the start of the year based on all our older players being available and improvement from our youngsters. Didn't see or factor in guys like Lonie or Sinclair, who are a real bonus. 8 wins isn't out of the question.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Wasn't Armo pick 9?

Yes, and if you rank the selection and on this season's form is argubaly the best taken in the Top 10. Certainly is a better player than Gibbs at 1.

Jack at 13 was a great get for the Tigers. Jack like Armo has become a more complete player this season. selwood at 7 obviously a steal for Cats as was elite from his first season.

Round Pick Drafted By Player Current Team Games Since Drafted

1 1 Carlton Bryce Gibbs Carlton 186
1 2 Essendon Scott Gumbleton 35
1 3 North Melbourne Lachlan Hansen North Melbourne 125
1 4 Brisbane Matthew Leuenberger Brisbane 104
1 5 Port Adelaide Travis Boak Port Adelaide 168
1 6 Hawthorn Mitchell Thorp 2
1 7 Geelong Joel Selwood Geelong 196
1 8 Collingwood Ben Reid Collingwood 99
1 9 St Kilda David Armitage St Kilda 120
1 10 Collingwood Nathan Brown Collingwood 106
1 11 Western Bulldogs Andrejs Everitt Carlton 109
1 12 Melbourne James Frawley Hawthorn 147
1 13 Richmond Jack Riewoldt Richmond 170
Last edited by saintsRrising on Thu 09 Jul 2015 4:54pm, edited 1 time in total.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
samuraisaint wrote:We are a much better chance against GWS, even up there, than we are against Port in Adelaide or North down in Tassie. I am more optimistic of us being competitive now than I was before, but can't see us winning them. We have already seen Acres, Curren, and Billings getting injured, and who will probably not play again in the seniors this year. That list will grow as the rounds fly by. We should probably see more inexperienced players like Paddy and Hugh come into the side as well as trying out players like Lee and Markworth, to see if they are worth persevering with.
I predicted 7 wins at the start of the year based on all our older players being available and improvement from our youngsters. Didn't see or factor in guys like Lonie or Sinclair, who are a real bonus. 8 wins isn't out of the question.
yep - one or two on here, of which you were one thought we could win quite a few games. I thought two and was wrong. We wouldn't want to lose Roo or Joey again, or Armo or Steven either, as this would impact on our ability to not only win games, but just to remain competitive, but any other wins we have from now are a definite bonus in my book. I don't agree with many on here that we are a chance against Geelong as they, along with Port, North and Richmond are a class above us, and the Swans and Freo are a top 4 lock. Playing West Coast in the final round ahs the potential to be a hiding too. If I could pick only two I would really like to win from here, it would be Richmond and North, of those two, if I could select only one I would choose the North match, for the Tassie Sainters.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

I wouldn't write off the last two games against Sydney and West Coast. Both are likely to be top four and are a fair chance to be resting players ahead of finals. We saw what happened with Freo in 2013.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote:I wouldn't write off the last two games against Sydney and West Coast. Both are likely to be top four and are a fair chance to be resting players ahead of finals.
BUT....

...they won't be able to afford to rest players if they're desperately trying to keep us out of the finals :P

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:

Yes, and if you rank thes election and on this season's form is argubaly the best taken in the Top 10. Certainly is a better player than Gibbs at 1.

Jack at 13 was a great get for the Tigers. Jack like Armo has become a more complete player this season. selwood at 7 obviously a steal for Cats as was elite from his first season.

Funny how the memory plays tricks. I could've sworn Jack Riewoldt was in Raph Clarke's draft and we took Clarke in preference. Obviously not.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Just checked and I was miles out!! 2003 draft versus 2006. Well, I must apologise to both Raph and all those pub dwellers whom I have bored with this story for so many years!!!

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
FQF
SS Life Member

Not only us at SS but even the coach today was fielding questions about our finals prospects at a presser midway through season 2015! What a bloody outrageous success the season has been.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

SemperFidelis wrote:The fact that we're even discussing this (mostly) with straight faces is more than any right minded Sainter could have hoped for this season. I'm happy already, and I'll take as many wins as we serve up but I think the eight is a pipe dream (feel free to bump and shame if they prove me wrong).
I went in pretty bullish about this year suggesting getting a full year from Armo and Steven, Fisher etc and some improvement from kids would push us up higher than a few teams. I said the Dogs might drop below us though. I thought Melbourne would struggle and the Lions were no certainties...didn't see the GCS though. I ranked the potential best and worst case scenarios and I thought we could get to 8th if everything went right and last if all went wrong. Still think it's probably in the middle of that as we seem to have had a big improvement but are a long way of finals. So much depends on what the Suns and Dees etc can do from here. Essendon look the worst team right now on form but it can change quickly.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

SENsei wrote:

Funny how the memory plays tricks. I could've sworn Jack Riewoldt was in Raph Clarke's draft and we took Clarke in preference. Obviously not.
The Raph Clarke year of 2003 was a very weak draft group as it has turned out.

1 Priority Western Bulldogs Adam Cooney Essendon 228
2 Priority Carlton Andrew Walker Carlton 186
3 Priority Melbourne Colin Sylvia Fremantle 163
1 4 Western Bulldogs Farren Ray St Kilda 201
1 5 Melbourne Brock McLean 157
1 6 Essendon Kepler Bradley 117
1 7 Geelong Kane Tenace 59
1 8 St Kilda Raphael Clarke 85
1 9 North Melbourne David Trotter 7
1 10 Fremantle Ryley Dunn 8
1 11 West Coast Beau Waters West Coast 120
1 12 Fremantle Ryan Murphy 48
1 13 Essendon Brent Stanton Essendon 239
1 14 Adelaide Fergus Watts 6
1 15 Port Adelaide Troy Chaplin Richmond 197
1 16 Sydney Josh Willoughby 0
1 17 Collingwood Billy Morrison 0
1 18 Brisbane Llane Spaanderman 3
2 19 Fremantle David Mundy Fremantle 223
2 20 West Coast Sam Butler West Coast 131

dragit
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:

Yes, and if you rank the selection and on this season's form is argubaly the best taken in the Top 10. Certainly is a better player than Gibbs at 1.

So if we'd won a few less games we end up with Selwood and a couple of flags?

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: The Raph Clarke year of 2003 was a very weak draft group as it has turned out.

1 Priority Western Bulldogs Adam Cooney Essendon 228
2 Priority Carlton Andrew Walker Carlton 186
3 Priority Melbourne Colin Sylvia Fremantle 163
1 4 Western Bulldogs Farren Ray St Kilda 201
1 5 Melbourne Brock McLean 157
1 6 Essendon Kepler Bradley 117
1 7 Geelong Kane Tenace 59
1 8 St Kilda Raphael Clarke 85
1 9 North Melbourne David Trotter 7
1 10 Fremantle Ryley Dunn 8
1 11 West Coast Beau Waters West Coast 120
1 12 Fremantle Ryan Murphy 48
1 13 Essendon Brent Stanton Essendon 239
1 14 Adelaide Fergus Watts 6
1 15 Port Adelaide Troy Chaplin Richmond 197
1 16 Sydney Josh Willoughby 0
1 17 Collingwood Billy Morrison 0
1 18 Brisbane Llane Spaanderman 3
2 19 Fremantle David Mundy Fremantle 223
2 20 West Coast Sam Butler West Coast 131
If Schneider does retire at the end of the year we could always track down pick 18 and get him to do the weekly player Q & A :P

FQF
SS Life Member

dragit wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:

So if we'd won a few less games we end up with Selwood and a couple of flags?
Although not too many losses or we'd end up with Thorp and be currently screwed.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:
I don't agree with many on here that we are a chance against Geelong as they, along with Port, North and Richmond are a class above us, and the Swans and Freo are a top 4 lock..
Personally I reckon the Cats are teetering on the edege ofa long=term decline. Recent seasons has seen them stocking up on GOPs in the main from other clubs. They are just hanging on, and are a lot more brittle than in previous years. I alos believe that they lack enough genuine young talent to replace the core group that they are about to lose.

If we do not get them this year, I believe that by the end of next season we will have gone passed them and be clearly a better team than them.

All their fans this year can talk about is getting in Dangerfield, Henderson and Selwood. So much for "growing your won" which was their supposed best model. I suspect that they will gain none, and if by chance thy do gain Dangerfield he will be ona salary about double the next few best, and that is going to piss off his team-mates.

Sometimes you need to recognise you need to rebuild, or you just make things worse.

Port. Should be be better than they are playing. Suspect they will improve again next season. But this year it is "Annus Horribilus"

North. Rolled the dice on bringing in some players. But apart from Dal has not worked. They are heading south and are likely to be worse again in 2016.

Tigers are the only ones who I see as a class above us at pesent. Though they are inconsistant.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:Although not too many losses or we'd end up with Thorp and be currently screwed.
:D
Mugs game drafting.