Mid Season Review

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Andreous
Club Player

Mid Season Review

As the lads take a well deserved break and us poor Saints tragic have longer to wait until the next team selection, i thought it might be a good time to see peoples mid year review of the list.

As a suggestion:

Who has exceeded expectations
- player name and supportive comment (possibly in order of merit)

Who is progressing as expected
- ditto

Who is treading water
- ditto

Who is going backwards
- ditto

As I am way down in Tasmania, I would love to hear from those seeking the games (both VFL and AFL) to keep those home fires burning on these cold winter nights

Andreous
Club Player

Re: Mid Season Review

Mid day today in Hobart

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Exceeded. The club. Also Lonie. No one could have expected a pick 37 midget to come in and have such an impact. Older player is obviously Armo.

As expected. I would say Billings. Gradual improvemen

Treading water. Delaney. If anything gone backwards.

Gone Backwards. White obviously. Wright.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Sinclair is also a big plus. Has had a sensational year for a kid picked up as a rookie and in his first year at the club.
Big improvers, Roberton, carrying on from his 2013 form. Billy :Longer has come on too,

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Exceeded: Bruce, Lonie, Sinclair, Webster
Progressing as expected: billings, longer
Treading water: curran, hickey, wright, acres
Gone backwards: Delaney, white, saunders

SaintWodonga
Club Player

Exceeded: Bruce, Lonie, Longer, Armo, Sinclair
Progressing as Expected: Billings, Webster, Membry, Roberton
Treading Water: Curran, Hickey, Wright, Eli
Gone Backwards: Delaney, White, Simpkin, Saunders

On the Chop (from): White, Pierce, Simpkin, Curran

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
Hallalj#3
Club Player

Exceeded: Bruce, Sinclair.

Progressing as Expected: Billings, Steven, Armo.

Treading Water: Hickey (Should Be No 1 Ruck imo)

Gone Backwards: Dunstan (Still think he will be a player but compared to last year not even close)

Rosco
Club Player

Hallalj#3 wrote:Exceeded: Bruce, Sinclair.

Gone Backwards: Dunstan (Still think he will be a player but compared to last year not even close)
Dunstan - has expectations this year, last year not so much. Would have him treading water.

Hallalj#3
Club Player

Rosco wrote:

Dunstan - has expectations this year, last year not so much. Would have him treading water.
Hence why I feel he has gone backwards.. Hasn't improved and hasn't played at the standard he set last year.

So he has gone backwards.

Rosco
Club Player

Hallalj#3 wrote:
Rosco wrote:

Hence why I feel he has gone backwards.. Hasn't improved and hasn't played at the standard he set last year.

So he has gone backwards.
Stats are pretty close, and armo has come back to play the role of bull, I'm calling it even.

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Rosco wrote:

A tad harsh....Dunstan may be the next Lenny..

Saintberra
Club Player

Toy Saint wrote:
Rosco wrote:

May be, but I see where he is getting at.

Dunstan had a very good first season. Understandably, both ourselves and himself have set the benchmark higher for this season. Thus far, at least in supporters eyes, he may not have made that jump that some have expected. Since he hasn't made that jump, then he is under performing. If he hit his expectations, he would break even.

This is not to say that we're going to chuck him. He's going to be a great player, I just don't think he's living up to the expectations that some have expected from him this year :)

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Saintberra wrote:
Toy Saint wrote:
Rosco wrote:

May be, but I see where he is getting at.

Dunstan had a very good first season. Understandably, both ourselves and himself have set the benchmark higher for this season. Thus far, at least in supporters eyes, he may not have made that jump that some have expected. Since he hasn't made that jump, then he is under performing. If he hit his expectations, he would break even.

This is not to say that we're going to chuck him. He's going to be a great player, I just don't think he's living up to the expectations that some have expected from him this year :)

Apart from very few most players have second year blues. Clubs work them out. He will get through it but his biggest problem is lack of pace and skills aren't great. Im sure he will be fine.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Exceeded. The club. Also Lonie. No one could have expected a pick 37 midget to come in and have such an impact. Older player is obviously Armo.

How could Bruce not be on that list???
What planet you from?

“Yeah….nah””
Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Who has exceeded expectations
Josh Bruce. No one could have imagined he be in the top six goal kickers in the comp at this point.
Jack Lonie. Brilliant start to his career. Great pick.
Jack Sinclair. Rookie list gem.
Dylan Roberton. Doubted whether I'd see him play AFL footy again, but he's been fantastic.
David Armitage. He had to step up after Lenny's departure but he's gone from ok to elite.
Nick Riewoldt. I keep thinking he's going to slow down, he doesn't.

Who is progressing as expected
Jack Billings. Steady improvement and showing sings that he'll be an absolute star.
Jimmy Webster. There were big wraps on this kid and he's proving them right.
Billy Longer. Ruckman take a long time to come on and Billy is progressing nicely at his age.
Jack Steven. Continues to work hard and produce excellent numbers.
Cam Shenton. Gives his all. He's not in our 25 most talented players but his endeavour is excellent.
Paddy McCartin. He was never going to be an instant star, but he's doing the right things at VFL level.

Who is treading water
Shane Savage. Finished last season really well but hasn't continued to progress this year.
Tom Hickey. His best is very good, his worst is awful. Hasn't closed the gap just yet.
Josh Saunders. I like him, but he can't seem to do enough to break into the team.
Tom Curren. Unfortunately for Tom we already had many similar types, now add Lonie and Sinclair and it gets harder.
Eli Templeton. Hasn't really found his form of early last year but it's early days.
Sam Gilbert. Super player, but his body has put him one bad injury away from the end you'd think.

Who is going backwards
Luke Delaney. Ever reliable last year but hasn't been anywhere near that this year. Spot is shaky.
Nathan Wright. Probably the young player I was most excited about but 2015 has been forgettable for him so far.
Spencer White. MIA it seems. Hard to see him being on the list next year if things don't improve rapidly.
Sean Dempster. Probably a bit harsh as he is a great player, but more and more mistakes are creeping into his game.
Brodie Murdoch. He looked great late last year but then injury struck and it's back to square one.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Not going to include everyone, but here's some..

Armo is the main exceeder, Lonie and Sinclair are surprise exceeders, Roberton, Bruce (got in the goal kickers earlier on, but needs to keep the momentum up) and then there's the rest (Roo is in his own category)

Progressing: Webster, Billings, Steven (needs to take the Armo step up a rung), Shenton (workhorse), Hickey (should be first ruck, but is still improving), Longer (slow improver)

Treading: Newnes (I thought he might step up more this season, going ok, but needs more consistency), Savage, Saunders, Curren, Gilbert, Eli, Dempster(some days great, other days bad), Wright, Dunstan

Backwards: Delaney

The following guys have been set back with injury and get my benefit of the doubt: Gilbert, Eli, Murdoch, (maybe put Hickey in there)

Only one real improver in the backline in Webster and that's a worry- need to get Goddard or Lee in there in a KPP role

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

exceeding - obviously Armo and Bruce, but Stevens has gone ahead enormously as well. His numbers this year are massive, schenider (fantastic 10 games) , roo (lcateogry of his own) not including any newbies here

progressing - webster, roberton, longer, billings, geary (I think his disposal in the last 6 games has improved plenty), weller

treading water - dunstan, Delaney,lee, savage, hickey

backwards - white (surely gawn), simpkin,

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
gringo
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Not going to include everyone, but here's some..

Armo is the main exceeder, Lonie and Sinclair are surprise exceeders, Roberton, Bruce (got in the goal kickers earlier on, but needs to keep the momentum up) and then there's the rest (Roo is in his own category)

Progressing: Webster, Billings, Steven (needs to take the Armo step up a rung), Shenton (workhorse), Hickey (should be first ruck, but is still improving), Longer (slow improver)

Treading: Newnes (I thought he might step up more this season, going ok, but needs more consistency), Savage, Saunders, Curren, Gilbert, Eli, Dempster(some days great, other days bad), Wright, Dunstan

The following guys have been set back with injury and get my benefit of the doubt: Gilbert, Eli, Murdoch, (maybe put Hickey in there)

Only one real improver in the backline in Webster and that's a worry- need to get Goddard or Lee in there in a KPP role
I reckon that's a bit harsh on Steven, he is being over shadowed but he is well up in most stats and we have two top 10 mids for the first time in years. Steven is number 1 in fantasy footy scores and Armo number 2. Jack second in kicks, sixth in tackles across the whole comp, not bad for a bad year. His line breaking and ability to get away from his opponent won us that last game and probably a couple of others.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Exceeded. The club. Also Lonie. No one could have expected a pick 37 midget to come in and have such an impact. Older player is obviously Armo.

How could Bruce not be on that list???
What planet you from?

I chose to say one or two players. Next time I will PM you first with a question. The only problem is you cant answer questions so that is wasting time. Did you bother with any names? Im from earth by the way. How did you get a signal down from Uranus. Well done.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Lones is #37, but was pick 41. But yes, definitely nailed it. Having said that, Gregson has done ok as will Daniel - this past draft could net quite a few quality midgets

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
spert
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:

I reckon that's a bit harsh on Steven, he is being over shadowed but he is well up in most stats and we have two top 10 mids for the first time in years. Steven is number 1 in fantasy footy scores and Armo number 2. Jack second in kicks, sixth in tackles across the whole comp, not bad for a bad year. His line breaking and ability to get away from his opponent won us that last game and probably a couple of others.
Steven is going well, but I think his defensive game needs more work and then he will reach elite level and he's not quite there yet.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:
gringo wrote:

Steven is going well, but I think his defensive game needs more work and then he will reach elite level and he's not quite there yet.

What mids have a defensive game apart from taggers? Obviously the coaches want him to chase and tackle and I think he does that.

RW&B
Club Player

spert wrote:
gringo wrote:

6th in the league for tackles.

"I'm a better coach when Nick Riewoldt is in the side" - Ross Lyon 2007
RODOS
Club Player

Steven has way more kicks than armo (2nd in the comp, only 1 behind swan), 5th most tackles in the comp (way ahead of armo, averaging 6.4 a game, nat fyfe averages. 3.8), the most inside fifties for us, some of the expectations on steven are ridiculous, he's basically leading the league overall in fantasy points (not that i know much about them). Disposal can always be improved, but it's not as bad as some make out, not everyone can be a sammy mitchel.

Yeah Jack, pick up your game already

infact, just look for yourselves http://www.afl.com.au/stats#stats-player-stats

Andreous
Club Player

Based on highlights, comments and reports:

Exceeding: armo, Bruce, Roo, Webster Steven , lonie, Sinclair Schneider Mckenzie shenton roberton

Progressing: billings, Goddard lee Minch mcCartin Ross, membery longer , joey, Weller Holmes

Treading water: Delaney, newnes, savage, Ray hickey Simpkin Dempster Fisher Lewis markworth , Payne

Backward: White, wright, Murdoch saad

So many moving forward!!!!! Great season so far!!!