Brisbane 5 out injured - What did we beat?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Was it a good win or an inevitable result given how badly cut up the Lions were on the injury front last Sunday?

The TV commentary made mention of several injuries and it's a huge number of injured outs for one week, almost unheard of.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Brisbane 5 out injured - What did we beat?

It was a good win because we won.

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

Lions have been hampered by injury all season.

A win is a win, and a great win it was !!

#gosaintas
Club Player

yep. we won in Brisbane. good win.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:It was a good win because we won.
That's stating the obvious when you're a development team, just looking a bit deeper

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

We beat a side which has a far more experienced, and apparently talented, midfield than what we have at present. They had injuries in defence and up forward, but then so do we, so I guess we'll call it even.
Look at it this way; we lost to a Carlton side, playing at a ground they had never seen before, in a country they had never played in before, and without key playmakers in Judd and Yarran, and without their best defender Jamieson, and we lost by over 40 points. I didn't want a repeat of that episode, so all in all I was happy.
In the next six rounds we might pinch another couple of wins, after that it gets difficult.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:We beat a side which has a far more experienced, and apparently talented, midfield than what we have at present. They had injuries in defence and up forward, but then so do we, so I guess we'll call it even.
Look at it this way; we lost to a Carlton side, playing at a ground they had never seen before, in a country they had never played in before, and without key playmakers in Judd and Yarran, and without their best defender Jamieson, and we lost by over 40 points. I didn't want a repeat of that episode, so all in all I was happy.
In the next six rounds we might pinch another couple of wins, after that it gets difficult.
How many injuries did we get during the Brisbane game? That's my point

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
samuraisaint wrote:We beat a side which has a far more experienced, and apparently talented, midfield than what we have at present. They had injuries in defence and up forward, but then so do we, so I guess we'll call it even.
How many injuries did we get during the Brisbane game? That's my point

Who cares. we are a bottom side and we won. I don't think many think it will be the start of a run to the finals.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Was it a good win or an inevitable result given how badly cut up the Lions were on the injury front last Sunday?

The TV commentary made mention of several injuries and it's a huge number of injured outs for one week, almost unheard of.
I think it was win/win.

We won to get some immediate gratification for some fans by beating up a pretty ordinary side who stopped after half time
They won on their trajectory to top 2 draft picks

All are happy.....arent we?

“Yeah….nah””
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:Was it a good win or an inevitable result given how badly cut up the Lions were on the injury front last Sunday?

I think it was win/win.

We won to get some immediate gratification for some fans by beating up a pretty ordinary side who stopped after half time

We were 10 points up at half time. I suppose some fans would have been happy with a loss so they can hope in November we get pick 3 right. The difference was I was happy Sunday night. I don't have to wait 3 years to see if the loss was worth it.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Teflon wrote:

I think it was win/win.

We were 10 points up at half time. I suppose some fans would have been happy with a loss so they can hope in November we get pick 3 right. The difference was I was happy Sunday night. I don't have to wait 3 years to see if the loss was worth it.
Fair enough - I guess its a time of the signs.
Some fans want instant gratification so they have 'a good Sunday night'
Im happy to be patient, play the AFL's little draft game and prefer to aim to be happy that last Saturday in September.
Whatever floats your boat I guess..

“Yeah….nah””
Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

I've been patient for almost 50 years, it's not really fun.

The win on Sunday was enjoyable.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Teflon wrote:

I think it was win/win.

Im happy to be patient, play the AFL's little draft game and prefer to aim to be happy that last Saturday in September.

And there are others who want to wait 3 years for something that may never happen. I would love to know the difference between pick 3 and 5 anyway. Doubt it is much at all.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Teffers if we can nab players like Dunstan, McKenzie, Lonie and Sinclair with lowish picks I think plugs point has even more validity.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

We had Dunstan injured, Acres, and Roberton cramping badly,Roo coming back from a sickening concussion.

We were 28 points down and had an 8 goal turnaround, our mids and small forwards kicked lost of goals, roo kicked 4, we scored our highest score of the year.''

really good win.

You are garbage - Enough said
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Teflon wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Teflon wrote:

I think it was win/win.

And there are others who want to wait 3 years for something that may never happen. I would love to know the difference between pick 3 and 5 anyway. Doubt it is much at all.
I'll take the earlier choice thanks as Id rather be in as much control over my options and who I can select as the next side after me is.

Thats the draft benefit the AFL offer.

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Teffers if we can nab players like Dunstan, McKenzie, Lonie and Sinclair with lowish picks I think plugs point has even more validity.
SP my view is its less about the players we nab (thats impacted by choosing correctly and that can always be stuffed up no matter what pick you and cant be bullet proof)

My view is Id take the higher choice which is really the only benefit the current draft system provides.

At the least I have some level of greater control over who does/doesnt come into lour talent ranks.

In a decision between first choice and a later choice......Id take first.

“Yeah….nah””
stjay
Club Player

Teflon wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Teflon wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Teflon wrote:

I think it was win/win.

I'll take the earlier choice thanks as Id rather be in as much control over my options and who I can select as the next side after me is.

Thats the draft benefit the AFL offer.
I'll take the win knowing that at least we are heading in the right direction toward a flag and not unnecessarily jeopardising the club.
50 years is quite long enough to wait by anyone's estimation.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
i'll take the win anywhere, anytime. Always!

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Austinnn
Club Player

The win. All these supporters thinking they are list managers s*** me!

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
falka
Club Player

WHo would take a win over hawks this week?
But means we gain enormous confidence but costs us 5 draft spots.
I certainly would.

I mean, it is about winning, culture, sponsors, members, momentum.
If priority picks were around still (not end of first rd ones either) and / or we had some older players to walk for free agency compo, then awesome,lets get early multiple picks, but…….WE DONT

There is no more wriggle room we just have to now build the culture of wining, sure we need more quality, but surely as Saints fans we know that its about collective team, rather than individual stars,
So Pick 2, 3, 5 its only 1 player, use it wisely and develop the player, that is all you can do, there is no magic.
I would love pick 1 and 2, but suggesting we tank (play system) is crazy.

That said, I would love to give some players a run of games to see where they are at and if they are part of the future and if that means losing a few we could win, then that may be acceptable at this point in time. We need to make decisions on White, Saunders, Wright,, Curren, Markworth, Siposs, Minch, Lee and even Holmes etc, so that is maybe something to consider in the back half of the year.Well mainly the ones out of contract (if there papers are yet to be stamped).
We also need to give Hickey a crack in the ruck, different forward structures, more guys through the middle etc.

Curious how the back half of year will play out.

spert
Saintsational Legend

A win is a win, and it is more important than anything to create a winning environment as it is a foundation to build on.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

So you expected us to win then?

I'm pretty sure we weren't favorites

Any win is a good win. It was good enough.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SaintAndrew
Club Player

We won a game that we should have reasonably expected to win.

What would be said of the club and players if we had lost to Brisbane considering they're in a similar position on the ladder with 5 players out injured.