Schneider's season

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Schneider's season

Easily his best for several years. Yet another 20+ possession game and a goal to go with
many solid performances this year.

Has been a great rookie pick up and maybe with Fisher's nasty hammy he may be able to play on for a bit longer

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Re: Schneider's season

Not part of our future, lucky to be getting a game.
Having said that he's hanging on like a dog with a bone!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Easily his best for several years. Yet another 20+ possession game and a goal to go with

Has been a great rookie pick up and maybe with Fisher's nasty hammy he may be able to play on for a bit longer
I don't mean to disrespect Adam, but how does an injury to a tall back equate to more opportunity for a small forward to play on?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Not much love here…

He did some incredible things today, his vision is pretty extraordinary at times.

Another 7 tackles today too, he's been one of our better players this year despite the criticism... goal kicking has been his only real issue, probably due to more running and therefor fatigue.

That said, I'm glad Sinclair didn't have to make way and Adam stay, Sinclair is clearly the future and makes most of his touches count too.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:Easily his best for several years. Yet another 20+ possession game and a goal to go with

I don't mean to disrespect Adam, but how does an injury to a tall back equate to more opportunity for a small forward to play on?
Which tall defender would you promote from the rookie list instead?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Aah, i missed the tone.

I thought he meant for next year

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Only Adam's mum wants him to go on next year. :D

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I call him Hollywood

stjay
Club Player

Saw a lot of it today but his disposal efficiency at half time was 45.5% and finished with 64%.
He butchered it early when the heat was on which seems to be a theme.

I still think we need him in the side, net-net we are better off with him, but provides more than his fair share of frustrating moments.
Dempster not far behind.

Griggsy
SS Life Member

He is trekking okay but I don't want to see him in the midfield in the future and we have a couple young smalls having a good crack.

Should still be his last year, his best value is he is vocal to the young guys providing great leadership...something our forward line is lacking without Roo or when Roo pushes up the ground. After all what's the total games played between our forward line without those 2.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Griggsy wrote:He is trekking okay but I don't want to see him in the midfield in the future and we have a couple young smalls having a good crack.

Should still be his last year, his best value is he is vocal to the young guys providing great leadership...something our forward line is lacking without Roo or when Roo pushes up the ground. After all what's the total games played between our forward line without those 2.
He's only 31. If he can play the out the season injury free I'd have him
on the list next year, possibly back on the main list.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

He is playing well on the field...and off-field is Lonie's mentor where he is also going well. So that is two valuable contributions he is making.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintbob
SS Life Member

Would in the top 5 of the B&F , so far this season.

Clearly in our best 3 again today.

It's time for some on here to get off his back!!

wally
Club Player

I wonder if he should be used as a permanent sub same as Footscray did last year with what's his name (that prick)
Seems to me he earns his spot but this way gives the future more of a go.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

wally wrote:I wonder if he should be used as a permanent sub same as Footscray did last year with what's his name (that prick)
Seems to me he earns his spot but this way gives the future more of a go.
I think you'll find the sun will be gone for next season and an announcement will be made before the trading/drafting season. That's my guess.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

If Roo doesn't come back for a while and now that Fisher is injured again, we need all the on-field experienced leadership we can get. Schneider is important now. I am a bit worried about how we are going to go when we actually play a good team.
The last 6 rounds are the elephant in the room.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
#gosaintas
Club Player

samuraisaint wrote:If Roo doesn't come back for a while and now that Fisher is injured again, we need all the on-field experienced leadership we can get. Schneider is important now. I am a bit worried about how we are going to go when we actually play a good team.

If we get smashed then maybe our chances of a priority pick improve
As for Schneider...20 possies, couple of missed goals, some flopping and diving and a few missed look away handballs are hardy the sort of stats one looks for in a midfielder

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

We will get smashed in at least half of those games GS. If we have injuries as well, that will just compound the problem. Fisher will be out for a while, Roo could be back next week or next month, Gilbert has hardly played since 2012, Ray is returning from a long-term injury and will take a while to get back into it, and we may be missing Armitage when we play Hawthorn in a couple of weeks.
Most people on this forum are realistic about our chances this year - bottom two finish and 2-5 wins for the year (personally I thought 2), but what none of us want to see are the types of confidence sapping floggings like we got from Hawthorn and Geelong last year. We have looked competitive in all of our games this year in varying stages of matches, but we haven't played Hawthorn, Sydney, Geelong, Fremantle, or Port Adelaide yet, not to mention North who have been giving us hidings since Lyon left. I am concerned that a 30 goal hiding could be on the cards if we don't get our game plan tight and some serious experience on the field for those games.
There can be a massive fallout if teams just capitulate. Forget about priority picks, we are going to get a raft of high picks in the draft anyway, because just when we start to improve we are going to have a series of very good players retiring, which will see us spending at least one more season after next year in the bottom two-four.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Top 6 in the B&F and if Fisher injury is real bad will certainly finish out the season. May anyway if they think Sinclair has had enough by round 12. And we only get one high pick. After that the picks are worse then the GF winning side.

Royston
Club Player

#gosaintas wrote:
samuraisaint wrote:If Roo doesn't come back for a while and now that Fisher is injured again, we need all the on-field experienced leadership we can get. Schneider is important now. I am a bit worried about how we are going to go when we actually play a good team.

As for Schneider...20 possies, couple of missed goals, some flopping and diving and a few missed look away handballs are hardy the sort of stats one looks for in a midfielder
I agree....while I didn't see much of yesterday's game Schneider is well past his used by date.
His actual skills and use of the ball don't match his reputation.
Too many errors, too blase....he turns it over almost due to laziness.
Has been a good AFL player but 'we' need to look beyond what he brings to the table now...

His 2 misses vs Essendon and that intercepted centring kick against the Pies this year that changed the game are burned in my memory !!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Royston wrote:
#gosaintas wrote:

I agree....while I didn't see much of yesterday's game Schneider is well past his used by date.
His actual skills and use of the ball don't match his reputation.
Too many errors, too blase....he turns it over almost due to laziness.
Has been a good AFL player but 'we' need to look beyond what he brings to the table now...

His 2 misses vs Essendon and that intercepted centring kick against the Pies this year that changed the game are burned in my memory !!

You need to actually watch this season and not guess what he has done. probably top 6 in the B&F depending on how voting is done. Anyway he plays next week whilst many others still don't and deserves to play.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Schneider is an absolute down hill skier. its all fine when the rest of the team are smashing in and getting it out to him. When its going against us and WC players are streaming through the middle with impunity where the hell is he then? Just doing his normal "sit in space" receiver thing

I watched him really carefully in the second qtr of the dogs game when we were getting slaughtered. He is so slow that I think he doesn't even try to man up these days. At most he might guard a bit of space. He just floats around finding his little holes to receive the ball. We'll be a much better pressure team when he is out as you need 18 men who can tighten the screws on the field when you don't have the footy but at the moment we are need to putting a focus on development. Schneider racks up possession because 1) he doesn't man up and 2) the oppo don't bother to man him up. He can rack up tackles because he often starts on ball where he can put on a tackle on guys 10 cms away from him. That's still worth something but not as valuable as a player who busts his hump to get to a player and lay a tackle to shut down play in the open.

Richo obviously still values Schneids traits of being vocal and finding space to teach the kiddies. Schneider is the cream on cake, well not as good as cream, more custard. But we want players who are self-contained both ball winning cake and skilful cream. Like a chocolate éclair. Delicious as Bruce would say.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:Schneider is an absolute down hill skier. its all fine when the rest of the team are smashing in and getting it out to him. When its going against us and WC players are streaming through the middle with impunity where the hell is he then? Just doing his normal "sit in space" receiver thing

I watched him really carefully in the second qtr of the dogs game when we were getting slaughtered. He is so slow that I think he doesn't even try to man up these days. At most he might guard a bit of space. He just floats around finding his little holes to receive the ball. We'll be a much better pressure team when he is out as you need 18 men who can tighten the screws on the field when you don't have the footy but at the moment we are need to putting a focus on development. Schneider racks up possession because 1) he doesn't man up and 2) the oppo don't bother to man him up. He can rack up tackles because he often starts on ball where he can put on a tackle on guys 10 cms away from him. That's still worth something but not as valuable as a player who busts his hump to get to a player and lay a tackle to shut down play in the open.

Richo obviously still values Schneids traits of being vocal and finding space to teach the kiddies. Schneider is the cream on cake, well not as good as cream, more custard. But we want players who are self-contained both ball winning cake and skilful cream. Like a chocolate éclair. Delicious as Bruce would say.

Well im shocked. You having another go at Schneider. who would have guessed? Lets fact it if he got no tackles you would be on his case and now because he does tackle you make up some reason for being a negative. I think you know a little about footy but rants like this suggest it isn't as much as I thought.

The_Merchant
Club Player

Bluthy wrote:Schneider is an absolute down hill skier. its all fine when the rest of the team are smashing in and getting it out to him. When its going against us and WC players are streaming through the middle with impunity where the hell is he then? Just doing his normal "sit in space" receiver thing

People tend to see what they want to see. If you watch a game of footy hoping to see a player stuff up just so you can bag them on the internet, then you will probably see something but it still makes you pretty pathetic. Schnieds has clearly been in our top half dozen players this year, he has chased and tackled, put his head over the ball and done everything Richo could have asked of him. He has stuffed up three kicks this year, the two against essendon came at the end of a pretty good game. Monty missed a soda yesterday, every one of our great young players has made 5 times as many mistakes as him.

We are all pretty excited about jack Sinclair and Jack Lonie, if either of them plays a game this year as good as schnieds game yesterday then I would be over the moon as would you. It is time to get off his back and watch the footy with both eyes open.

If at first you don't succeed, sky diving is not for you.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Special shout-outs to those commenting about a game they didn't see and also picking out a quarter from 3 weeks ago where we had maybe one winner on the ground.

About as intriguing as a poo that I did this morning.