Billy Longer

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Billy Longer

I don't know if many have noticed but the opposition ruckman normally plays just about his best game for the year on Longer. He did have one really good game but even Warnock had his best game that week. Yesterday and last week I thought he was really poor. For Cordy to our mark you then there is a few issues. I know Longer is young and has improved 10 fold this season but on current form I think he needs a rest. The problem we have is Hickey is actually playing really well up forward so I think we would be silly to put him in the ruck. Maybe its time for the other ruckmen to step up this week and get a game especially if they preform at Sandy. I know many will disagree with me but before you do chech the stats of the ruckman Longer has played against.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Re: Billy Longer

Agree with 99% of what you say.
Only think I don't agree on is that he has improved 10 fold. There's been marginal improvement, if any. Been hugely overrated this season.
Good at the taps though.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

The only other genuine option we've got at the moment is Pierce and I don't think he's ready to play as the number one ruck. Given there's every chance Roo won't play this week we'll probably need Hickey forward again, which could keep Longer in.
Considering he and Hickey have only played thirty games I don't think they're doing too badly. Longer's oponents may hurt us but in the short term I'm not sure we can do much about it.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
citywest

Longer is coming along quite nicely IMHO. He may not be setting the world on fire yet but that's ok. When St Kilda reach the top 4 in 4 years time he will be at his peak and one of the best ruckman in the comp. Hickey is playing well as a forward ruck so steady as she goes. If one of them get injured then maybe Holmes or Pierce can come in but until then, no change.

saint6709
Club Player

He is starting to take some marks - took a couple of nice ones yesterday - last year I was earmarking him as trade bait - now I'm not so sure - we do have an excess of potential rucks IMO - but he is still young - as are the others - and may be very good in a couple of years

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

The injuries we've recived during matches probably haven't hepled either. I assumed that when the club selected two ruckman in the starting line up that the plan would be to sub one of them out at 3/4 time (or just before) and replace them with a running player.
Unfortunately, given the injuries we've recieved, we haven't been able to do that. Then again, I could be wrong.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Who do you suggest?

Is Pierce up to it? I think he's better up forward than Longer but can he ruck for most of the day.

Holmes can't be promoted at the moment.

It was interesting to see Tom Lynch as the backup ruckman for the Crows. But I'd hate to see Hickey playing 90% in the ruck and Bruce pinch hitting.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
falka
Club Player

He has improved 10 fold, but that was because he was just plain awful last year.

Right about Hickey up forward, looks really good.

If we have no LTI, then can't see Holmes getting elevated and to be honest, he is similar to Longer, no possessions, but positive tap work.

Anyway, he is young and i'm glad he has actually improved and I have some hope he may make it.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:Who do you suggest?

Is Pierce up to it? I think he's better up forward than Longer but can he ruck for most of the day.

It was interesting to see Tom Lynch as the backup ruckman for the Crows. But I'd hate to see Hickey playing 90% in the ruck and Bruce pinch hitting.

It was just for the sake of a discussion. Unlike many im not sold on Longer but probably due to Rooy missing this week there wont be a change. I just think Longer needs to work much harder at stopping his opponent be one of the oppositions better players each game. Im pretty sure Longer will hold his spot because Hickey will probably have to play forward but at the moment I think Longer does need a rest. And this has nothing to do with what he will or wont become in the future. Im just talking about now.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Billy Longer

I prefer a ruckman who can contribute plenty around the ground as well as at least break even in the hitouts. I'm sure Billy is aware of his current limitations and will continue to work on them. I think the two of them playing with Hickey predominantly forward is best for now. If we had a genuine key forward prospect pushing for selection things might be different

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
kosifantutti wrote:Who do you suggest?

It was just for the sake of a discussion. Unlike many im not sold on Longer but probably due to Rooy missing this week there wont be a change. I just think Longer needs to work much harder at stopping his opponent be one of the oppositions better players each game. Im pretty sure Longer will hold his spot because Hickey will probably have to play forward but at the moment I think Longer does need a rest. And this has nothing to do with what he will or wont become in the future. Im just talking about now.
I wasn't disagreeing with you. Longer needs to be stronger in marking contests around the ground.

I'm just starting to get over the trading of Stanley with the form of Hickey.

Richter
SS Life Member

Problem is that Longer is a really good tap ruckman who is currently a near liability around the ground, whilst Hickey is an ordinary tap ruckman who is good around the ground. In two years we'll know which of the two manages to improve on his deficiencies enough to be the undoubted number 1.

In the short term though, if Longer were to be 'rested' (which I personally would not be in favour of) I would suggest that Hickey moves up to number 1 ruck and that Membrey and Lee come in for him and Rooey - expect Hickey to ruck 80% with Lee and Bruce 10% each.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

So Bruce / Lee would give him a chop out in the ruck?

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Response as question; How good were Rhys Stanley & Ben McEvoy around the time of their 22nd birthday? Billy mightn't be the best ruckman in the comp right now BUT he does have ability & he does have time on his side !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

maverick
Saintsational Legend

If longer did have a rest, Membrey could come in as a forward to replace Roo.
Give Holmes a game
Perfect opportunity to play on Nick Nat and follow him around

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:If longer did have a rest, Membrey could come in as a forward to replace Roo.
Give Holmes a game

Holmes isn't allowed to play.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Give Longer another 12 months before you stick the knives in. People forget that Jacobs spent 3 years on the rookie list and is 27 yrs old. It's not as if Jacobs has been dominating for the last 5 or 6 years. I think Longer has a lot of natural talent. Just needs to get his strength and coordination going.
Last edited by magnifisaint on Sun 17 May 2015 12:19pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:Give Longer another 12 months before you stick the knives in. People forget that Jacobs spent 3 years on the rookie list and is 27 yrs old. It's not as if Jacobs has been dominating for the last 5 or 6 years.

Im unsure my post is sticking the knives in at all. I said he had improved 10 fold. Im talking about the current situation, not how he will end up.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
magnifisaint wrote:Give Longer another 12 months before you stick the knives in. People forget that Jacobs spent 3 years on the rookie list and is 27 yrs old. It's not as if Jacobs has been dominating for the last 5 or 6 years.

Im unsure my post is sticking the knives in at all. I said he had improved 10 fold. Im talking about the current situation, not how he will end up.
Let him learn on the job

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Let him learn on the job

He can but like many young players he may need a rest from time to time especially being a young ruckman.

Club Player

longer is clearly improving , he is one of our only players with a physical presence, does a lot of grunt work in the scrums and does create space for the mid fielders. He is starting to take a grab or two and was not disgraced against a likely all australian Ruckman. He is essential for our structure.
All you can ask is that a player keeps improving, some take a while (Armo??), so perhaps patience plus perseverance please people

the invisible and the non existent look very much alike
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:So Bruce / Lee would give him a chop out in the ruck?
It would be a ruck combination of extraordinary magnitude. You have our gratitude.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
stkfc1
Club Player

satchmo wrote:
kosifantutti wrote:So Bruce / Lee would give him a chop out in the ruck?
It would be a ruck combination of extraordinary magnitude. You have our gratitude.
Wonder if they could master the" One inch ruck punch"? Would be a great strategy to get the ball to travel 50m from the tap out!! :D

maverick
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
maverick wrote:If longer did have a rest, Membrey could come in as a forward to replace Roo.
Give Holmes a game

Holmes isn't allowed to play.
Good point....
Shame really....

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I'm a big fan of Billy, he is the best tap we have atm and he will better around the grd.
This group is improving game by game.....I know this thread was aimed at discussion but we certainly don't need critical evaluations of players who are improving.