David Armitage

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sanctorum
Club Player

David Armitage

Recent complaints on this forum about the supposed slow progress of Paddy McCartin reminded me of a time about 4 or 5 years ago when the same views were being expressed about David Armitage, who came to the Saints as first round pick (#9) in the 2006 draft. And to be honest, I was one of those who held serious doubts about his ability to play at an elite level.

When St Kilda came to play the Lions in Brisbane, the club held a function for supporters, mainly to present Carl Ditterich, a Brisbane publican at the time, with a photo album highlighting his illustrious career. My mate Steve and I happened to be in a small group with Michael Nettlefold (former CEO) and we asked him when St Kilda (not if!!) were going to trade Armitage while he was still of some value....Michael dismissed our comments, stating that Armitage would most certainly never be traded away, and that the club had full confidence he would become a top player. We were left shaking our heads ("couldn't they see that he was a plodder?!!"), and so now we have to eat humble pie because he has indeed become an elite midfielder. Sincere apologies Armo!!

It may have taken some time, but the best of David Armitage is yet to come, and that's terrific....as for Paddy, he'll work out fine, he certainly is not going to be another Jack watts, to the contrary, in my (in)expert opinion, he will be another Matthew Richardson (of Tiger fame), but probably not until after Nick Riewoldt retires.

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Re: David Armitage

many said the same of Brendon Goddard for years..

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
remboy
SS Hall of Fame

saintbrat wrote:many said the same of Brendon Goddard for years..
And Montagna in his first few seasons.
It's why the thread on McCartin is so stupid.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Patience, it's harder for some

elizabethr
Club Player

Some are just poor judges of footballers.

nothing to say
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

remboy wrote:
And Dal

Saints94
SS Life Member

elizabethr wrote:Some are just poor judges of footballers.
+1.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Guys like Tom Scully are still developing players after 6 years in the system. Callan Ward is a gun now but he has been around for ever too. Shaun Higgins seemed to take about 10 years but is now dominating. Sometimes a combination of opportunity and injury seem to conspire against players. We have a tendency to just look past the contributing factors. Jack Steven had OP for much of his early career but it didn't stop some critics saying he'd had his chances.

spert
Saintsational Legend

I've been saying for a couple of seasons, that Armo needed to take the next step so he could compete with the competition's best, and he has now taken that step. On another note, I still reckon Steven can go up a rung..I stumbled across some video highlights of the 2013 season and Jack looked a lot sharper to me. Dunno..who knows..

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

A few years ago I would've been pissed off that Paddy wasn't an instant hit due to our crap recruiting of dud after dud.

Different now - look at Dunstan, Sinclair and Lonie. All hits from day one. So now I have patience and confidence that for some of the big boyz like Paddy and HJ it may take a few years.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

remboy wrote:
And Lenny Hayes.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

And Jodi Arnol.

Saints94
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:And Jodi Arnol.
& Justin Sweeney.

elizabethr
Club Player

Descended into the usual farce

nothing to say
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

elizabethr wrote:Descended into the usual farce

Yep we couldn't have a little joke when Armo name is mentioned. Lighten for gods sake.
Last edited by plugger66 on Fri 15 May 2015 2:34pm, edited 1 time in total.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

elizabethr wrote:Descended into the usual farce
Yes. Bit tiresome really.

stjay
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:A few years ago I would've been pissed off that Paddy wasn't an instant hit due to our crap recruiting of dud after dud.

Different now - look at Dunstan, Sinclair and Lonie. All hits from day one. So now I have patience and confidence that for some of the big boyz like Paddy and HJ it may take a few years.
Think the same. That's why I hope they persevere with Spencer White - he is a classic case, in my book, of a guy with talent that will need a few more years in the system to really find his feet.
Problem is I think the club's patience seems to be wearing thin with him. I am still waiting for him to really dominate at VFL level but I don't see a reason why you can't carry a guy like this on your list particularly when there is clear upside.

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

And to top it off, Michael Ford

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stjay wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:A few years ago I would've been pissed off that Paddy wasn't an instant hit due to our crap recruiting of dud after dud.

Think the same. That's why I hope they persevere with Spencer White - he is a classic case, in my book, of a guy with talent that will need a few more years in the system to really find his feet.
Problem is I think the club's patience seems to be wearing thin with him. I am still waiting for him to really dominate at VFL level but I don't see a reason why you can't carry a guy like this on your list particularly when there is clear upside.

Im not saying this is happening even though it could be especially after being dropped to the thirds last week. No way a player not doing the right thing on the track should be carried for the hope of him coming good when others who do the right thing on the track get delisted.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
stjay wrote:

Im not saying this is happening even though it could be especially after being dropped to the thirds last week. No way a player not doing the right thing on the track should be carried for the hope of him coming good when others who do the right thing on the track get delisted.

Although when you look at someone like Simpkin who is obviously never going to get a go, the potential of Spencer in comparison is a pretty easy decision.

stjay
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
stjay wrote:

Yeah a one year contract and being dropped to the thirds definitely suggests he is going to struggle to make a case to be renewed.
I know with a health condition like asthma it can go one of three ways - the athlete either finds a way to overcome it despite it's debilitating nature or it totally impacts his ability to build a fitness base and run out games or it impacts the mental state where it becomes a crutch where the player uses it as an excuse to avoid workload. Not suggesting he is in this last category but simply that the odds are stacked against him getting up to an AFL standard fitness level.
I really hope he comes through.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
stjay wrote:

Although when you look at someone like Simpkin who is obviously never going to get a go, the potential of Spencer in comparison is a pretty easy decision.

No it isn't that simple. Again im not talking about White but if a player is doing he wrong thing on the track and off the track and other players know that then it would be very bad example to re sign that person. White may not be doing that but there is no logical reason for him being dropped to the thirds unless there is an issue. And more to the point what are these fantastic things White has done in nearly 2 and half years of footy? And I don't buy this asthma thing. I reckon about 5 players in every club would have asthma based on things I have seen over the years.

FQF
SS Life Member

Simpkin is a classic depth role player who you need on a list so that when someone like Dempster gets injured, he can come in a play the role to an adequate level. In fact, he might be the replacement for Dempster in the long term. In the last few years our backline has lost a lot of experience in Gwilt, Blake and soon Fisher and Dempster — I think Simpkin will be retained.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
stjay wrote:

By the sounds of what Richo said he was very unhappy with having to send him back there. The downside of having a short injury list and a set amount of spots at Sandringham mean someone has to go and the guys about to possibly be selected are obviously the ones going to stay in the seniors. When do we get our own team in the VFL?

No it isn't that simple. Again im not talking about White but if a player is doing he wrong thing on the track and off the track and other players know that then it would be very bad example to re sign that person. White may not be doing that but there is no logical reason for him being dropped to the thirds unless there is an issue. And more to the point what are these fantastic things White has done in nearly 2 and half years of footy? And I don't buy this asthma thing. I reckon about 5 players in every club would have asthma based on things I have seen over the years.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
stjay wrote:

By the sounds of what Richo said he was very unhappy with having to send him back there. The downside of having a short injury list and a set amount of spots at Sandringham mean someone has to go and the guys about to possibly be selected are obviously the ones going to stay in the seniors. When do we get our own team in the VFL?

I don't know about a set amount of spots. I would be pretty sure if White was doing everything right he would have played reserves last week instead of the thirds.