Moorabbin - Trouble Ahead

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Moorabbin - Trouble Ahead

Johnny Member wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
lewdogs wrote:Pokies destroy families. Disgusting things that prey on the poor. Awful stuff.

Alcohol? Cigarettes?

Would you want the Saints to be a 'big, rich club' by selling booze to drunks and cigarettes to nicotine addicts?

I think there's a line as to where and how sporting clubs make their dough.

Why not start up a brothel somewhere?

No I want them to be a normal sporting club and sell booze like 99% of sporting clubs. I don't want them to sell smokes though. I may want you to grow a brain as well but we don't all get what we want. The moral crusader strikes again. If they want to start a brothel im fine with that but I doubt our sponsors would be. I think they are happy to let us have pokies and grog. Could you be anymore emotive by mentioning drunks and addicts?
Why don't you want them to sell smokes??

Again, I'm hardly a moral crusader.

I gamble. I drink. I own race horses. I've worked at a large wagering company.

Gambling can deadset ruin lives. As can drinking. And plenty of other things too. But that doesn't mean people should be allowed to do it. It's their choice.

But, I don't think it's right to set people up for your own advantage. And that's precisely what pokies venues do. That's their sole purpose. It's the same as KFC ads having hot young people smiling and laughing and having a great time whilst eating a drumstick - instead of showing some drunked, fat, middle aged reserve umpire from East Bentleigh secretly scoffing a value meal in his car in the carpark (just for example).

Again, I'm not against them completely. But I do think revenue should be capped and the enticements banned. I don't think you should be able to advertise gambling full stop - same as cigarettes and booze. And for what it's worth, most 'recreational drugs' should be legal in my opinion.

People like pokies, and should be allowed to play them if they want. People should also be allowed to provide that service.

But I don't think footy clubs should beat their chests about how big and powerful they are, when in reality a massive chunk of that power comes from the money they took from pokies. It's not 'good business'. It's lazy. And as I said, the benefits that a football club gets and provides as a result of this money, is far, far outweighed by the damage that pokies can do to society.

As a footy club supporter, I find it a bit grubby.

I applaud North for going 'pokie free'.

Yep im middle aged and I umpire but I resent being called fat. And Im from east Bentleigh. And I don't want them to sell smokes because they cant smoke in the venue but they can drink and thus should be able to sell grog. After reading all your posts I have come to a conclusion that you are wishy washy and if I said red was red you would say its yellow. If someone else said red was red you would say its red. That's fine but it shows you are very immature. At leasdt I will agree with your post if I believe it makes sense. I actually did just before in the Essendon thread. Could be a first but you don't write a lot of sense. Even in the post when I mentioned Grog and smokes you attacked it as if I meant our club. All I was doing was seeing what lewdogs thought of those 2.

Austinnn
Club Player

Dear me. Bit too personal?

Pokies are horrible and dangerous but lucrative. Maybe we should sell Legal highs at the club as well. Amyl Nitrate? Are mushies still legal? Sell the Dons a few vials of tiger semen soup to increase stamina.

Morals are for bloody wowsers who don't want to win. Live to win, second is nothing, nothing wrong with a bit of smack if you know your limits.

Just My Opinion
------------------------------------------------

You'll Never Walk Alone
asiu
Saintsational Legend

as in ... social heroin usage ?

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
8bloggs
Club Player

stjay wrote:
philtee wrote:And these -
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/inne ... 7324467538
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/s ... 7324662416

And Archie Fraser gets his say here -
"Archie Fraser said it was with “great reluctance’’ that he engineered the Saints’ move away from what he regarded as their spiritual home."
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/inne ... 7326907484
I can't get a sense of what were really the outstanding issues which led to the Seaford move. This article on Archie Fraser seems like his attempt at revisionist history.
Council said the sticking point was not being able to put the pokies on South Rd - and if that is the case then he deserves the shoulder the responsibility for one of the biggest disasters in the club's history.
I just don't buy the vendatta argument as a major factor of the council's unwillingness to negotiate.

Pokies are an individual call but there is a clear message from the community that they don't want it promoted which is understandable.
The club seemed to misread the collective feeling on this in an attempt to build a revenue stream and burnt goodwill in the local community which is still generating blowback now.
Debacle all round.

Pretty sure one of the sticking points at the time the decision was made to move from Moorabbin was that Kingston Council sought to REDUCE the number of pokies the club had as part of building the then proposed new building on South Road.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

8bloggs wrote:
stjay wrote:

"Archie Fraser said it was with “great reluctance’’ that he engineered the Saints’ move away from what he regarded as their spiritual home."
I can't get a sense of what were really the outstanding issues which led to the Seaford move. This article on Archie Fraser seems like his attempt at revisionist history.
Council said the sticking point was not being able to put the pokies on South Rd - and if that is the case then he deserves the shoulder the responsibility for one of the biggest disasters in the club's history.
I just don't buy the vendatta argument as a major factor of the council's unwillingness to negotiate.

Pokies are an individual call but there is a clear message from the community that they don't want it promoted which is understandable.
The club seemed to misread the collective feeling on this in an attempt to build a revenue stream and burnt goodwill in the local community which is still generating blowback now.
Debacle all round.

Pretty sure one of the sticking points at the time the decision was made to move from Moorabbin was that Kingston Council sought to REDUCE the number of pokies the club had as part of building the then proposed new building on South Road.

That's how I remember it. But it was about only 5 bloody machines. Hardly worth all the crap over that little amount of stupid pokies.

Playon
Club Player

I hate Pokies they suck, Theyre for Zombies, press a button and grunt every now and again, they also ruined a lot of the bistros and live bands in pubs.

We should get roulette tables and Black jack instead, a lot more fun, not antisocial and might raise more revenue, I suppose in the end gambling is a choice isn't it?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Playon wrote:I hate Pokies they suck, Theyre for Zombies, press a button and grunt every now and again, they also ruined a lot of the bistros and live bands in pubs.

We should get roulette tables and Black jack instead, a lot more fun, not antisocial and might raise more revenue, I suppose in the end gambling is a choice isn't it?

I couldn't agree more with all of that. I would also add craps. great game.

stjay
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
8bloggs wrote:
stjay wrote:

Debacle all round.

Yeah unbelievable really. Always wondered why they couldn't put in retail space or something else there as a replacement revenue - after all it is a decent position, you've got access from both directions.
Anyway the next step is to raise the cash to get back there. The number seems to $5mil which is going to be a challenge one would think.
Probably need a whale supporter to cut us a cheque. Where else can they pull that sort of cash?

That's how I remember it. But it was about only 5 bloody machines. Hardly worth all the crap over that little amount of stupid pokies.

Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

lewdogs wrote:Pokies destroy families. Disgusting things that prey on the poor. Awful stuff.
Agree.

loris
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Alcohol? Cigarettes?

Would you want the Saints to be a 'big, rich club' by selling booze to drunks and cigarettes to nicotine addicts?

I think there's a line as to where and how sporting clubs make their dough.

Why not start up a brothel somewhere?

No I want them to be a normal sporting club and sell booze like 99% of sporting clubs. I don't want them to sell smokes though. I may want you to grow a brain as well but we don't all get what we want. The moral crusader strikes again. If they want to start a brothel im fine with that but I doubt our sponsors would be. I think they are happy to let us have pokies and grog. Could you be anymore emotive by mentioning drunks and addicts?
Why don't you want them to sell smokes??

Again, I'm hardly a moral crusader.

I gamble. I drink. I own race horses. I've worked at a large wagering company.

Gambling can deadset ruin lives. As can drinking. And plenty of other things too. But that doesn't mean people should be allowed to do it. It's their choice.

But, I don't think it's right to set people up for your own advantage. And that's precisely what pokies venues do. That's their sole purpose. It's the same as KFC ads having hot young people smiling and laughing and having a great time whilst eating a drumstick - instead of showing some drunked, fat, middle aged reserve umpire from East Bentleigh secretly scoffing a value meal in his car in the carpark (just for example).

Again, I'm not against them completely. But I do think revenue should be capped and the enticements banned. I don't think you should be able to advertise gambling full stop - same as cigarettes and booze. And for what it's worth, most 'recreational drugs' should be legal in my opinion.

People like pokies, and should be allowed to play them if they want. People should also be allowed to provide that service.

But I don't think footy clubs should beat their chests about how big and powerful they are, when in reality a massive chunk of that power comes from the money they took from pokies. It's not 'good business'. It's lazy. And as I said, the benefits that a football club gets and provides as a result of this money, is far, far outweighed by the damage that pokies can do to society.

As a footy club supporter, I find it a bit grubby.

I applaud North for going 'pokie free'.
Good for you Johnny Member..............well said :P

avid
Club Player

I think I agree with you Johnny Member.

And I was just talking to a North member yesterday who said there were stacks of members there who had actually joined up to support the club when it dumped the pokies.

Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

I gather that the problem the pokies activist sees is that it is proposed to be a Junior Footy hub. If Pokies get through....and personally I hope they don't.....they would want to be well away from where Juniors are. Not the worst thing to want.

This Pokies chap is a very committed loyal Saints member. Goes to all the games he can. Has multiple memberships.

He is not against gambling, but points out the addictive nature of these things. And does campaign against their use in proximity to children.

I honestly don't think anyone could argue against that. Pokies being used in proximity to children, and targeting the disadvantaged. Not the worst things to campaign against.

I have said it before. We make negligible money out of these things, and more is to be gained by not having them.

Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

avid wrote:I think I agree with you Johnny Member.

And I was just talking to a North member yesterday who said there were stacks of members there who had actually joined up to support the club when it dumped the pokies.
I believe the thing about North is true.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

If we can replace pokies instantly with an equivalent revenue source then fine, but as our club is broke what would you anti pokie brigade prefer?

Get rid of pokies and go under perhaps?

This debate smacks of voting for the likes of the Greens or other namby pamby nuff nuffs. I hope you lot were happy we moved to Seaford over the pokies dispute.

God knows how many thousands of new members we'd need to pay for the loss of pokies, plus extra sponsors.

I'm actually hoping a new venue will increase the revenue per machine which from what I've read in the past is very low.

And no, I don't like pokies myself, but I'm a realist and want my club to survive in Melbourne.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Verdun66 wrote:I gather that the problem the pokies activist sees is that it is proposed to be a Junior Footy hub. If Pokies get through....and personally I hope they don't.....they would want to be well away from where Juniors are. Not the worst thing to want.

This Pokies chap is a very committed loyal Saints member. Goes to all the games he can. Has multiple memberships.

He is not against gambling, but points out the addictive nature of these things. And does campaign against their use in proximity to children.

I honestly don't think anyone could argue against that. Pokies being used in proximity to children, and targeting the disadvantaged. Not the worst things to campaign against.

I have said it before. We make negligible money out of these things, and more is to be gained by not having them.
Last time I checked we already have pokies there at Moorabbin so I'm not sure what you're on about.

You don't HAVE to play the pokies. No one HAS to play the pokies.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Playon wrote:In the end gambling is a choice isn't it?
Ah, the crux of the matter.

There's nothing wrong with the responsible gambling that many of us enjoy. Sadly, problem gamblers will find a way to squander their money with or without pokies at Moorabbin.

They should seek help. There is good help available.

This all reminds me of the argument that led to those barriers being put along the Westgate Bridge to prevent suicides. Now people throw themselves off the Bolte Bridge or under trains. That money would have been better spent on actually helping people with mental health issues.

We should push for as many machines as we can get and make it clear that, as a club, we support responsible gambling.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Verdun66 wrote:I gather that the problem the pokies activist sees is that it is proposed to be a Junior Footy hub. If Pokies get through....and personally I hope they don't.....they would want to be well away from where Juniors are. Not the worst thing to want.

Pokies are near children everywhere. They are at Moorabbin now. They are at just about every pub in Melbourne. yep we could say we want to be different like North but for our morals and principles all we are doing is moving the pokies to another area, probably close to where they are now, probably for the same people to use them. I cant stand pokies but they are legal and for some strange reason people like to play them. if we are worried about addicts does that mean when the new social club opens we shouldn't sell beer because someone could be an alcoholic? I wouldn't think so.

SaintJohn1956
Club Player

Mayor on 774 now.

Saint John
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

How about this for a solution?

Put the pokies venue on the corner of South Rd. Put the Admin Building and the Bowling club in behind it and put the gym, footy Dept & local footy HQ where the social club currently stands. Club has a revenue stream from pokies food & grog in an ideal location. Pokies would then be about 100-150 metres from kids footy. Should please most !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:How about this for a solution?

Put the pokies venue on the corner of South Rd. Put the Admin Building and the Bowling club in behind it and put the gym, footy Dept & local footy HQ where the social club currently stands. Club has a revenue stream from pokies food & grog in an ideal location. Pokies would then be about 100-150 metres from kids footy. Should please most !!

Whats the kids footy anyway? TAC cup? They are 17 years of age anyway. Im sure they have played pokies if they really wanted to.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Whats the kids footy anyway? TAC cup? They are 17 years of age anyway. Im sure they have played pokies if they really wanted to.
Are the SMJFL looking to locate their headquarters at Moorabbin in this redevelopment proposal?

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Isn't it the SMJFL that is also going to have their HQ there? Anything that can be done to please as many parties as possible should be done. The Butterss-Fraser days are long gone !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:

There's nothing wrong with the responsible gambling that many of us enjoy. Sadly, problem gamblers will find a way to squander their money with or without pokies at Moorabbin.

This all reminds me of the argument that led to those barriers being put along the Westgate Bridge to prevent suicides. Now people throw themselves off the Bolte Bridge or under trains. That money would have been better spent on actually helping people with mental health issues.

We should push for as many machines as we can get and make it clear that, as a club, we support responsible gambling.

I worked at a major bookmaker/gambling company.

They preach 'responsible gambling' and are full on about it.

Yet at the same time, their business is based on trying to find ways to get people to gamble more.

The 'responsible gambling' thing is a crock. A myth. I've seen it first hand.

I think people should be allowed to bet, on whatever they want. Whenever they want. But it's a fact, that pokies venues aren't merely providing a service to people. They're specifically designed to get people to stay there for long periods of time, get drunk, and gamble more whilst being distracted by the fact that they're doing their dough. Ever noticed how most 'venues' now have the entrance to the pokies in a discreet place? That's no accident. They know problem gambers try to hide it, so they facilitate it.

They're a trap.

So I don't have an issue with pokies at all. But I don't like pokies venues and the way they operate. The club should be allowed to have pokies, but I don't like the concept of the club literally setting up a gambling business designed purely to get people to bet beyond their means and lose money they can't afford, just so we can go to work on Monday mornings and brag about how big and rich our footy club is.

Same with corporate bookies. It's a great service for punters and people should be allowed to use them. But I don't think they should be able to advertise openly.

I think the same rules that apply to cigarettes should apply to any other 'vice' that can cause significant damage to society.
Last edited by Johnny Member on Fri 15 May 2015 10:45am, edited 2 times in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Isn't it the SMJFL that is also going to have their HQ there? Anything that can be done to please as many parties as possible should be done. The Butterss-Fraser days are long gone !!

I think they may now but that is for Admin. I don't think any kids are playing at the ground.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

I worked at a major bookmaker/gambling company.

They preach 'responsible gambling' and are full on about it.

Yet at the same time, their business is based on trying to find ways to get people to gamble more.

The 'responsible gambling' thing is a crock. A myth. I've seen it first hand.

I think people should be allowed to bet, on whatever they want. Whenever they want. But it's a fact, that pokies venues aren't merely providing a service to people. They're specifically designed to get people to stay there for long periods of time, get drunk, and gamble more whilst being distracted by the fact that they're doing their dough. Ever noticed how most 'venues' now have the entrance to the pokies in a discreet place? That's no accident. They know problem gambers try to hide it, so they facilitate it.

They're a trap.

So I don't have an issue with pokies at all. But I don't like pokies venues and the way they operate. The club should be allowed to have pokies, but I don't like the concept of the club literally setting up a gambling business designed purely to get people to bet beyond their means and lose money they can't afford, just so we can go to work on Monday mornings and brag about how big and rich our footy club is.
The responsible gambling crap is a forced government warning like having to read a PDS before buying insurance. It's all legal PC rubbish.

Gambling venues are businesses that try and make as much money as they can. Do you know that at Crown they deliberately move pokies around to always make the venue "fresh" and "different". It's all part of extracting as much as they can. Problem with small venues like ours is that it's much harder to do that with the small floor space and not many machines.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.