Geary needs to have a big year

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Geary needs to have a big year

Gee we are harsh on Geary. Im no fan but even when he plays well we find reasons to knock him. What about Armo's first half. It was no good at all. What about his effort when he went for that mark from a kick out from full back. That was pathetic. Armo was good in the end but so was Geary. We have a hell of a lot more problems than Geary.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Gee we are harsh on Geary. Im no fan but even when he plays well we find reasons to knock him. What about Armo's first half. It was no good at all. What about his effort when he went for that mark from a kick out from full back. That was pathetic. Armo was good in the end but so was Geary. We have a hell of a lot more problems than Geary.

I agr...agre...agre...agree with you.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

thanks for saying that for me gringo
:twisted:

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I agree too, it does happen sometimes Gringo

:)

Think this forum is just harsh full stop.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

ya need to have a thick skin around here K
miss your imput
dont worry about the numpties :P

get posting

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:ya need to have a thick skin around here K
miss your imput

get posting
Want to, some footy discussion...

People just wanna bag guys after one round.

Armo and gears missed the last game of the nab cup with niggles, they'll get better.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

SainterK wrote:
matrix wrote:ya need to have a thick skin around here K
miss your imput

get posting
Want to, some footy discussion...

People just wanna bag guys after one round.

Armo and gears missed the last game of the nab cup with niggles, they'll get better.
Armo has a defined position, his kicking efficiency is not flash due to the position he plays.

Geary just runs around exerting his 'leadership' as a loose man in defence organising players because he is neither good enough nor clever enough to get into the space and impact contests.

Then we get onto his kicking. He is not an AFL-standard kicker. Therefore, he should not be playing.

We could mask this if we threw him into the guts however obviously his leadership is way too important as a loose player ala Maxwell.

You guard Buddy Franklin, I will guard this patch of grass.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

A small amount of posters go with the "He's useless and should never play for the club again". But I think most posters are simply stating Geary has deficiencies with his kicking, which is pretty factual and pretty frustrating. I don't see how this is bagging him.

Most of our list have deficiencies. Not their fault. Just how it is. It's why we are where we are. Supporters get frustrated and that's why they vent. Some just vent more viciously than others.

Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Gee we are harsh on Geary. Im no fan but even when he plays well we find reasons to knock him. What about Armo's first half. It was no good at all. What about his effort when he went for that mark from a kick out from full back. That was pathetic. Armo was good in the end but so was Geary. We have a hell of a lot more problems than Geary.

The problem is not Geary in himself, it is the hope or belief or even the fact that he is amongst our best players.

As long as our list has him in our top 6 as some would have it, we will remain cellar dwellers.

No team can be 100% full of stars. All teams need good soldiers as well, and Geary is definitely that. He is outstanding in many ways. Think of him as our new CJ or Blakey (but playing in a different postion).

I fully expect Geary to play many, many, more well deserved games for us. But sorry, I just cannot see him every truly becoming a really good player when you measure him against his peers from other clubs. Yes on some measures he is very good, but as an overall package then no.

There is by the way no disgrace in not being very good at AFL level. You will not get to play as many games as Geary will unless you are made of "the right stuff". Hi final games tally will be more than most who have played at the highrst level, and at the end of the day that will be an achievement in itself. When Geary looks in the mirror he ses someone that gives his all, and you can only admire that.

PS Yes Armo needs to step up too. At almost 27 this season he should be capable of delivering his best.....and this year we will see excatly what that best is.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Timing plays a big part in players' careers and ratings within a club.
I remember my frustration at Gary Colling's lack of skills but he was at the club when we were pretty ordinary and was ultimately captain. "In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king".
I'm afraid Geary, Armitage and Steven will have great pressure on them because of the lack of others in their age demographic until some of the younger guys play 50 plus games and assume that senior mantle that is currently being forced on these guys.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Well Id never make it as a bookie. I didnt even Geary and Saad in my original 'whipping boy' odds list. Ill need to reframe the market.
But Geary and Saad now odds on.

Its not just one game - Geary's kicking was also unpredictable in the pre-season. I'm not worried him missing shots on goals - but that one in the backline where he kicked it out on the full was a stunner. The problem is he gets under pressure easily because he is so slow and then turns it over. The other problem is when he is 100% free and streaming fwd but inexplicably kicks it directly to a free opposition player who then rebounds with interest.

Cant knock his effort or courage though. He reads it quite well also.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

8856brother wrote:A small amount of posters go with the "He's useless and should never play for the club again". But I think most posters are simply stating Geary has deficiencies with his kicking, which is pretty factual and pretty frustrating. I don't see how this is bagging him.

Most of our list have deficiencies. Not their fault. Just how it is. It's why we are where we are. Supporters get frustrated and that's why they vent. Some just vent more viciously than others.
Thank you.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

The Redeemer wrote:
8856brother wrote:A small amount of posters go with the "He's useless and should never play for the club again". But I think most posters are simply stating Geary has deficiencies with his kicking, which is pretty factual and pretty frustrating. I don't see how this is bagging him.

Thank you.
I agree . Its certainly not his fault. No lack of effort or commitment. It is just frustrating for fans when there is someone in our best 8 players who wouldnt get a game in a top 4 side. But thats just we are at right now. But all we can really ask is maximum effort and he provides that. Not his fault our list is so poor.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

12 kicks, 12 handball going at 79% overall…

9 marks, 3 inside 50, 6 rebound 50's,

The turnovers must have been pretty awful to cop this much heat, cause his number seem pretty good - and looks to be comfortably in our best few players this week?

Also seems to be ranked top 20 in the comp in a lot of areas for round one…

I think his spot in the side is pretty safe for now and will be all year.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

now now dragit

we all know stats dont count
its watching the player at actual games that does count and gives the true pic
stats are just nonsense
if stats were even remotely important or useful, then clubs would be all over them collecting them and researching them and stuffs like that

8-)

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:12 kicks, 12 handball going at 79% overall…

The turnovers must have been pretty awful to cop this much heat, cause his number seem pretty good - and looks to be comfortably in our best few players this week?

When you looked at the stats did you also look at what position and role he was playing?

For example 9 marks. Is this good or bad relative to the position he played?

The 3 inisde 50's...how did they go? Did he "hurt" the opposition?

Do guys playing the loose man role normally rack up lots of marks and disposals?
dragit wrote: I think his spot in the side is pretty safe for now and will be all year.
I do too. But if our loose man in defense is a good ball user, then I am pretty sure that our chances ofa better score will be increased.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

For those complaining about "Geary bashing", so you don't think Geary should be trying to go up a...excuse me...gear? That's really patronising as if he can only reach a certain level eg. a good tryer. He's made that 100 game mark, which a lot of players don't make, and has a great base to push off from. I want to see a bit of arrogance out of him now and say "Hey I've made 100 games, I belong out here, I do know what I'm doing" and really start to try and grab hold of games. He should be able to see the opportunities out there with his experience knowing the ebb and flow of the game. I want to seem him flatten out his kicking and take risks with his kicking to try to do more damaging, penetrating kicks. There are risks with that but no risk, no reward. Maybe he'll never have the game smarts and disposal to be a really damaging player but he won't know if he doesn't try. It was great watching SAvage have 3 or 4 bounces, sometimes with the bounce bobbling around everywhere and a guy up his clacker. It could have easily screwed up and he would have looked stupid but he took the risk and it paid off a couple of time for big goals that helped turn the match. You could see GWS realise that they now have to cover this guy and that opens up the game.

Its too easy for Geary to bomb it to a pack and he feels his done his of job of getting the ball out of defence. But oppo coaches will lick their lips at that. One of the reasons he can rack up big possessions is because oppo coaches don't really care if he has the ball. They know he'll probably make it 50-50 with his kick at best. Geary like all players needs to evolve. As a 100 game player, he needs to at least try and take that next quantum leap from useful, hard working, cover defence into a penetrating player taking that can impact a game. We don't really have a lot to lose at the moment so now is the time to take risks.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:now now dragit

we all know stats dont count
its watching the player at actual games that does count and gives the true pic
stats are just nonsense
if stats were even remotely important or useful, then clubs would be all over them collecting them and researching them and stuffs like that

8-)
Stats are useful and tell a story and provide valuable info. But they dont tell the whole story.
Otherwise why do clubs bother with video reviews?
If stats told the whole story they would only do stats reviews.

If there was a stat for 'mind blowing tunovers' I think Geary would be in the AFL top 10.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
dragit wrote:12 kicks, 12 handball going at 79% overall…

When you looked at the stats did you also look at what position and role he was playing?

For example 9 marks. Is this good or bad relative to the position he played?

The 3 inisde 50's...how did they go? Did he "hurt" the opposition?

Do guys playing the loose man role normally rack up lots of marks and disposals?
dragit wrote: I think his spot in the side is pretty safe for now and will be all year.
I do too. But if our loose man in defense is a good ball user, then I am pretty sure that our chances ofa better score will be increased.
So basically he's played well, but probably not in his optimal position.
Be handy to have a goddard or dal santo type as our loose man :shock:

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I think the whole side needs a big year or is that generalising ? ................ or do we covert that next top draft pick ?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:

Well in one aspect of his game, but not well in otherss.

His optimal postion is as a small back. He does run very well though.
dragit wrote: Be handy to have a goddard or dal santo type as our loose man :shock:
Why do think that Hodge plays back for the Hawks???

And yes we need players that use the ball well besides Fisher... ie Savage, Webster ....maube Acres eventually

It used to be Fisher, but opposition coaches do not allow us to get him free. They are pleased to let the like of Geary free.

Optimally you want a number of good ball uses down back (and indeed everywhere, which is a big reason why the Hawks are cutting opponents to ribbons at present) as you can then get the ball to them. For a while this is why the term "quarterback" started drifting into the AFL asa player in your backline that would set up play. But if you are reliant on just the one player down back to have good disposal, then as the opposition coaches are on to it these days that one player like Fisher will rarely be able to get free.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Tue 07 Apr 2015 10:09pm, edited 1 time in total.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:I think the whole side needs a big year or is that generalising ? ................ or do we covert that next top draft pick ?
We need many, many to step up. But that is the is the benefit of having so many young players. Remains to be seen however if we have picked the right players, and are developing them well enough.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:For those complaining about "Geary bashing", so you don't think Geary should be trying to go up a...excuse me...gear? That's really patronising as if he can only reach a certain level eg. a good tryer. He's made that 100 game mark, which a lot of players don't make, and has a great base to push off from. I want to see a bit of arrogance out of him now and say "Hey I've made 100 games, I belong out here, I do know what I'm doing" and really start to try and grab hold of games. He should be able to see the opportunities out there with his experience knowing the ebb and flow of the game. I want to seem him flatten out his kicking and take risks with his kicking to try to do more damaging, penetrating kicks. There are risks with that but no risk, no reward. Maybe he'll never have the game smarts and disposal to be a really damaging player but he won't know if he doesn't try. It was great watching SAvage have 3 or 4 bounces, sometimes with the bounce bobbling around everywhere and a guy up his clacker. It could have easily screwed up and he would have looked stupid but he took the risk and it paid off a couple of time for big goals that helped turn the match. You could see GWS realise that they now have to cover this guy and that opens up the game.

Its too easy for Geary to bomb it to a pack and he feels his done his of job of getting the ball out of defence. But oppo coaches will lick their lips at that. One of the reasons he can rack up big possessions is because oppo coaches don't really care if he has the ball. They know he'll probably make it 50-50 with his kick at best. Geary like all players needs to evolve. As a 100 game player, he needs to at least try and take that next quantum leap from useful, hard working, cover defence into a penetrating player taking that can impact a game. We don't really have a lot to lose at the moment so now is the time to take risks.

Well plenty have written off Shenton after 15 games at least geary is around 100 games before they make pointless assumptions about how he would go at a top 4 club. We won't even know how he is rated internally.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
dragit wrote:

dragit wrote: Be handy to have a goddard or dal santo type as our loose man :shock:

And yes we need players that use the ball well besides Fisher... ie Savage, Webster ....maube Acres eventually

It used to be Fisher, but opposition coaches do not allow us to get him free. They are pleased to let the like of Geary free.

Optimally you want a number of good ball uses down back (and indeed everywhere, which is a big reason why the Hawks are cutting opponents to ribbons at present) as you can then get the ball to them. For a while this is why the term "quarterback" started drifting into the AFL asa player in your backline that would set up play. But if you are reliant on just the one player down back to have good disposal, then as the opposition coaches are on to it these days that one player like Fisher will rarely be able to get free.
It sounds like you are complaining more about our list & probably coaching than about geary who people appear to want dropped & delisted.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
dragit wrote:

It sounds like you are complaining more about our list & probably coaching than about geary who people appear to want dropped & delisted.

No I think he saying we need to get Luke Hodge. Perhaps we could get his brother the Frank Stallone of footy.

Anyway that's the way it's played these days we had Fisher and Goddard and even dropped Dal back if they were curtailed. Collingwood had Lamumba and Shaw. Of course it's great to have good ball users who can preempt the ball's movement in the air and can also play a close checking role and have pace, strong marking and agility. We should totally get some of those. Webster looks likely but is extremely inexperienced and has been injured quite a lot. Shenton most people want castrated and beaten to death for crimes against football.