Team v GWS

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Re: Team v GWS

Old Mate wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Bluthy wrote:
FQF wrote:It really says a lot about Lonie and Sinclair that they have been picked ahead of Acres, Saunders, Minchinton etc who are all more experienced.
You can't make sweeping statements like that. Saunders is coming back from a hammy tweek. Acres has only played a handful of games and will be a very good player IMO. But perhaps he has a niggle. Perhaps he didn't do something he was asked to do last game around team rules or efforts. Maybe he doesn't have a proper tank yet. He does look a bit slow and maybe they want to see him cover the ground a bit better rather than throw him in against the speedy giants. Acres will be a valuable player capable of reading and setting up the play and they aren't going to take unnecessary risks with him through his early career when he was already injured for a lot of last year.

Does this mean they think Longer is better than Hickey? Or are the nursing Hickey after his injury last year with a long year ahead.

Im amazed Longer was picked ahead of Hickey but would I know. Surely both cannot play. I certainly understand Billings not playing because he missed 4 weeks. Surely one of the worst midfields we have had in many years.
I agree with two rucks but you would think both playing is a good chance of happening. Two of Hickey/Longer/Lee play. I think Lee misses out and not because I agree just the feeling I get.

The midfield is horrible. I don't see an A grader in the team although Joey was one and Steven has the ability to be one.

This guy called Riewoldt might get to A grade too. Steven would be very close if he isn't already. I actually reckon by the end of the year we should have two midfield guns in Newnes and Dunstan. If they hold up they will be very good players.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Montagna will go into the centre - if fit, replacing Roberton.
Reckon Hickey will replace Longer on match day.
What else? Maybe Schneider will come in for Roo if he doesn't come up.

The side looks very unbalanced to me, with every line showing a massive hole. Obviously developmentally the team are reasonably early into a full rebuild at this stage, so I will hold my tongue for now.

Like others I would like to see Acres playing, but as we all suspected, and as AR stated, games are not about to be gifted - it's about earning them.

This is not the game for McCartin or Goddard to be fed to the lions - this is a game the club sees as winnable so they are sending out what they probably view as their hardest and fittest bodies they have at their disposal into battle. I urge all Sainters to make the effort and go because it could be a barren year and this may well turn out to be one of only a couple of wins we have all year.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
Old Mate wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Bluthy wrote:
FQF wrote:It really says a lot about Lonie and Sinclair that they have been picked ahead of Acres, Saunders, Minchinton etc who are all more experienced.
You can't make sweeping statements like that. Saunders is coming back from a hammy tweek. Acres has only played a handful of games and will be a very good player IMO. But perhaps he has a niggle. Perhaps he didn't do something he was asked to do last game around team rules or efforts. Maybe he doesn't have a proper tank yet. He does look a bit slow and maybe they want to see him cover the ground a bit better rather than throw him in against the speedy giants. Acres will be a valuable player capable of reading and setting up the play and they aren't going to take unnecessary risks with him through his early career when he was already injured for a lot of last year.

Does this mean they think Longer is better than Hickey? Or are the nursing Hickey after his injury last year with a long year ahead.

Im amazed Longer was picked ahead of Hickey but would I know. Surely both cannot play. I certainly understand Billings not playing because he missed 4 weeks. Surely one of the worst midfields we have had in many years.
I agree with two rucks but you would think both playing is a good chance of happening. Two of Hickey/Longer/Lee play. I think Lee misses out and not because I agree just the feeling I get.

The midfield is horrible. I don't see an A grader in the team although Joey was one and Steven has the ability to be one.

This guy called Riewoldt might get to A grade too. Steven would be very close if he isn't already. I actually reckon by the end of the year we should have two midfield guns in Newnes and Dunstan. If they hold up they will be very good players.
I was referring to A grade midfielders. Of course Roo is A grade. Steven if he finds 2013 form again I see as an A grader. Last year he was closer to B IMO. Newnes and Dunstan will be very important players for us going forward but are still a few years off becoming A grade and thats not a given that they do become A graders.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:Montagna will go into the centre - if fit, replacing Roberton.

The side looks very unbalanced to me, with every line showing a massive hole. Obviously developmentally the team are reasonably early into a full rebuild at this stage, so I will hold my tongue for now.

Like others I would like to see Acres playing, but as we all suspected, and as AR stated, games are not about to be gifted - it's about earning them.

This is not the game for McCartin or Goddard to be fed to the lions - this is a game the club sees as winnable so they are sending out what they probably view as their hardest and fittest bodies they have at their disposal into battle. I urge all Sainters to make the effort and go because it could be a barren year and this may well turn out to be one of only a couple of wins we have all year.

It might be true that Roberton will be tried in the midfield at some point. When I asked him if he was playing KPB he said no the opposite actually and he smiled like he was keeping a secret. I wonder if he is going to get a run at some point. Wouldn't be a bad thing to try, he plays short and is very athletic having done athletics as a junior. I might actually go now. I was in mourning for footy before.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
samuraisaint wrote:Montagna will go into the centre - if fit, replacing Roberton.

It might be true that Roberton will be tried in the midfield at some point. When I asked him if he was playing KPB he said no the opposite actually and he smiled like he was keeping a secret. I wonder if he is going to get a run at some point. Wouldn't be a bad thing to try, he plays short and is very athletic having done athletics as a junior. I might actually go now. I was in mourning for footy before.

Seriously Gringo if Roberton plays as any sort of mid then we will not win a game this year. He shouldn't be playing going on practice match form and that is when he played in the backline where he should. By the way was there any player you didn't speak to?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:

Seriously Gringo if Roberton plays as any sort of mid then we will not win a game this year. He shouldn't be playing going on practice match form and that is when he played in the backline where he should. By the way was there any player you didn't speak to?

I have been to 3 events this year and got around most of them as my kid got a new jumper he wanted signed. I made them work for their money while he got them signing, I don't bother guys like Rooey and Joey much because they are busy, guys like Roberton, Lonie, Bruce are very happy to talk. At the jumper presentation they actually came and talked to people and it was a very casual and intimate event. People should get down and go to a few because the club is putting them out in the community and not many show up. Roberton and Lee had a long chat, so did Farren Ray, Paddy, Holmes and Newnes who is a gun of a kid. We actually have put together a really good bunch of guys with minimal flogs. Even Sam Fisher who I have met a few times over the years and didn't warm to has become a friendly open guy. I don't get to hang out with Lenny and Jack Steven so I have to do the group thing.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:

I have been to 3 events this year and got around most of them as my kid got a new jumper he wanted signed. I made them work for their money while he got them signing, I don't bother guys like Rooey and Joey much because they are busy, guys like Roberton, Lonie, Bruce are very happy to talk. At the jumper presentation they actually came and talked to people and it was a very casual and intimate event. People should get down and go to a few because the club is putting them out in the community and not many show up. Roberton and Lee had a long chat, so did Farren Ray, Paddy, Holmes and Newnes who is a gun of a kid. We actually have put together a really good bunch of guys with minimal flogs. Even Sam Fisher who I have met a few times over the years and didn't warm to has become a friendly open guy. I don't get to hang out with Lenny and Jack Steven so I have to do the group thing.

Who hangs out with those 2? I suppose other players. Anyway the point is we are stuffed if Roberton ever plays as a mid.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:

Who hangs out with those 2? I suppose other players. Anyway the point is we are stuffed if Roberton ever plays as a mid.
Better than Rooey playing there.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:

Better than Rooey playing there.

Either way we don't win a game.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

I thought Roberton looked ok in the intra club game. Too bad we don't play ourselves during the year. He was also playing at half back. Seems to be his best spot.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

That's not the point Plugger.....the point is you get all jealous when someone else remotely goes near a saints player.....

you poor thing

“Yeah….nah””
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:That's not the point Plugger.....the point is you get all jealous when someone else remotely goes near a saints player.....

you poor thing

Of course I do. What a waste of typing by you. One strange unit. Great to have you back though. Seems you are going to be a revelation this year if that is the quality.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:
Teflon wrote:That's not the point Plugger.....the point is you get all jealous when someone else remotely goes near a saints player.....

you poor thing

Of course I do. What a waste of typing by you. One strange unit. Great to have you back though. Seems you are going to be a revelation this year if that is the quality.
Not a lot worse than most of what gets posted around here.
You wait until after Sunday's game. That post will look like Shakespeare compared to the rantings on here. We should have a sweep to see who can pick the time of the first 'sack the coach' thread.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

remboy wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

you poor thing

Not a lot worse than most of what gets posted around here.
You wait until after Sunday's game. That post will look like Shakespeare compared to the rantings on here. We should have a sweep to see who can pick the time of the first 'sack the coach' thread.

That's why we need like buttons.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

you poor thing

I never left.....just the quality if drivel wasn't worth commenting on till I saw your beauty....

It will be a long year....buckle up.

“Yeah….nah””
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Is Rooey only 50/50 due to lack of fitness?

Understandable due to his interruped pre season.

Maybe he needs a kick in the VFL this week as a warm
up?

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

A lot of experts on here. Do you want to enlighten some of us of what was said at the selection table?

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
dragit
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:A lot of experts on here. Do you want to enlighten some of us of what was said at the selection table?
"potato, petarto, potato, petarto, let's call the whole thing off..."

That's all I heard.

PJ
SS Life Member

Don't know what the disappointment about Acres non selection is. From the preseason he looked at best slow with some skill and pretty average decision making. Correct me if I'm wrong but which game did he demand selection? Here's another question...if he was taken at pick 78 would people be still disappointed?

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Could we all just relax?

First round, young team, a few injured. What is the big problem?

In the end, they all will get a decent go at it this year and one game against another bunch of probably more talented and more developed kids does not mean a thing.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:A lot of experts on here. Do you want to enlighten some of us of what was said at the selection table?

This is nothing. It wasn't at the selection table, but there were some on another forum stating that a player had failed a drug test the other day which was far more LOLworthy.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:

This is nothing. It wasn't at the selection table, but there were some on another forum stating that a player had failed a drug test the other day which was far more LOLworthy.
Players were seen leaving Vlahovs Steak House so definately will be tested......

moo.

“Yeah….nah””
loris
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
samuraisaint wrote:

Players were seen leaving Vlahovs Steak House so definately will be tested......

moo.
Be jesus Teflon................. is Vlahov's Steak House still going in Richmond? :shock: :shock: Thought I can recall it had moved from it's original Richmond abode.

Many moons ago - when I was a carnivore in the 1980's - Vlahov's was a haunt of mine. I can recall patrons being tossed out if they sent their steaks back to be a "little more done".................. in them there days, I was happy to have my steak, blue, infact, moo - ing :shock: :shock:

IMHO, thankfully for the animals, I saw the light after I had to deliver a "Conflict Management" course to Meat Inspectors who had to deal with slaughtermen in their work a days lives. After that experience of watching the "kill" in slaughterhouses I decided I didn't need to eat red meat anymore. Previously I had made the decision as a young child not to eat chicken, duck. In those days in the 1950's one saw their father kill our pet chooks and ducks for Christmas dinner.............. definitely turned one off from eating poultry also that's for sure :cry: :cry:

#gosaintas
Club Player

How the hell does Shenton get a game? He is a hopeless.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

#gosaintas wrote:How the hell does Shenton get a game? He is a hopeless.

I totally disagree, he was in our best quite a few times last year. He has had a pretty ordinary preseason but he's pretty much taken on Gwilts role from last year and it is unfortunately the poison chalice as even teams like Brisbane had heaps of forward entries. His best is taking on his opponent and carrying the ball forward with his run. He's now having to be a bit more accountable and it's not playing to his strengths.