Round 1 Team (best avail)

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Round 1 Team (best avail)

Keeping in mind we have a number of players unavailable through injury. I'm expecting/hoping Billings, Webster, Savage are ready and Roo is back.

B: Geary Delaney Dempster
HB: Newnes Fisher Savage
C: Templeton Steven Montagna
HF: Membrey Riewoldt Billings
F: Lonie McCartin Bruce
R: Hickey Weller Armitage
I: Acres Dunstan Webster Wright

E: Lee Saunders Shenton

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Re: Round 1 Team (best avail)

Without looking too closely at yours, here's mine:

FB: Geary, Delaney, Dempster
HB: Newnes, Fisher, Roberton
C: Dunstan, Montagna, Savage
HF: Templeton, Bruce, Membrey
FF: Lee, McCartin, Lonie
R: Hickey, Steven, Armitage
IC: Wright, Saunders, Shenton, Weller

Others: Acres, Curren, Goddard, Holmes (r), Longer, McKenzie, Minchington, Payne (r), Pierce, Saad (r), Schneider (r), Simpkin, Sinclair (r), White

Unavailable: Billings, Gilbert, Markworth, Murdoch, Ray, Riewoldt, Ross, Siposs, Webster

Not too many changes to this side in the last month except that Lonie's in and Bruce's spot is cemented. Riewoldt may well be back but it's a month away and he hasn't played a competitive game yet, so he'd be pushing it. The only reason I'd consider it at all is because he's ultra-professional.

No doubt that side will struggle, no stars and very few A-graders. And that bench looks pretty limited - a few future whipping boys there.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Looks good, OM. Perhaps Lee or White in place of Wright to provide some back up for Hickey and give us more options up forward.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
bergsone
SS Life Member

I have Shenton in for Webster,as I have doubts he will be ready

Another is an upgrade for LTI ,maybe Saad could be in line for first game,anyway reckon old mate is close atm

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:Looks good, OM. Perhaps Lee or White in place of Wright to provide some back up for Hickey and give us more options up forward.
Wright was the last guy I picked. I was thinking Shenton or Saunders for him. I suspect it's one of Lee, White or Paddy and I've gone with the shiny new toy. I think Richo will be keen to show him off against GWS. Plus he hasn't been too bad and Richo has publicly criticised Whites shortcomings. Lee and Paddy 50/50 IMO. Bruce to do limited backup ruck.

Berg - I've gone with a few guys you have as unavailable through injury. Billings, Savage and Webster will be close to ready by round1 by all reports.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

bergsone wrote:I have Shenton in for Webster,as I have doubts he will be ready

Another is an upgrade for LTI ,maybe Saad could be in line for first game,anyway reckon old mate is close atm
Shenton is who i have in mind if Webster isn't ready. Saad 50/50 with a few as well IMO.

footynut
Club Player

Really hard ask considering we don't know how Roo is traveling as well as the status of our injury list.
But here we go:

B: Roberton Delaney Dempster
HB: Geary Fisher Savage
C: Newnes Dunstan Montagna
HF: Membrey Riewoldt Lonie
F: Billings Lee Bruce
R: Hickey Steven Armitage

I: Acres Wright Weller Shenton

E: Longer Saunders Templeton

I realise this is very similar, however I thnk it the way they will go. However I think they should include Homes or Longer instead of Lee (id prefer Homes as he's improving every game) so we have a genuine second ruck.

PS
Webster & Templeton to come in after a few games in the VFL to game match fitness.
Lewis to start as a forward in the VFL to develop this aspect of his game.
Hopefully Spencer White s given an extended oportunity some stage during the year so e can assess where he is really at.

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Spencer White finished well last season, yet he seems to have vanished. Anybody know where he's at?

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

I thought his White's intra club match was serviceable

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Toy Saint wrote:Spencer White finished well last season, yet he seems to have vanished. Anybody know where he's at?
Tight calf. Will play v Hawks (info courtesy of tony74).

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:Berg - I've gone with a few guys you have as unavailable through injury. Billings, Savage and Webster will be close to ready by round1 by all reports.
I had Savage in, but generally I'm working on the theory that we need to be conservative with injuries this year. If Billings had a proper hamstring then he'll be short of a gallop come round one, might be safer to keep him on the sidelines - especially given the hamstring epidemic. If there is some underlying shortcoming of the training regime then the last thing we want is to push them too hard too early in their careers.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

ROLS-LEE wrote:I thought his White's intra club match was serviceable
So did I. If he does well against the Hawks he may possibly be ahead of McCartin at this stage.

McCartin has kicked a couple of nice goals and looks a likely type but hasn't got a lot of the ball. Lee hasn't set the world on fire either, so there is an interesting three-way tussle to see who will start at ff.

Only room for one of them if Riewoldt plays i reckon. Our most impressive forwards so far have been Josh Bruce and maybe Membrey

gringo
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
ROLS-LEE wrote:I thought his White's intra club match was serviceable
So did I. If he does well against the Hawks he may possibly be ahead of McCartin at this stage.

McCartin has kicked a couple of nice goals and looks a likely type but hasn't got a lot of the ball. Lee hasn't set the world on fire either, so there is an interesting three-way tussle to see who will start at ff.

Only room for one of them if Riewoldt plays i reckon. Our most impressive forwards so far have been Josh Bruce and maybe Membrey
I think Lee and Spencer both did okay in that game but weren't way ahead of Mc cartin. I thought Mc cartin was just serviceable against Essendon and won't be surprised if we swap one or two in next week and use the finger as an excuse to rest him. I think Lee would have to be the favourite to get the spot first still.

older saint
SS Life Member

Dropping like flies at the moment but here goes:

B: Geary, Delaney, Dempster
HB: Wright, Fisher, Shenton
c: Templeton, Dunstan, Newness
HF: Saad, Roo, Steven
F: Bruce, Hickey, Lonie
Foll: Longer, Armitage, Montagna

Int: Weller, Acres, Saunders, Curren

Ignored all injured players as too many question mark.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

What finger, Gringo?

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
loris
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:What finger, Gringo?
Think he dislocated it............... and didn't let it be known until game finished or something along those lines. Shows he's keen to play eh?

saintmont
Club Player

Dempster Delaney Geary

Roberton Fisher Savage

Newnes Armitage Montagna

Membrey Riewolt Dunstan

Templeton McCartin Billings

Hickey Weller Stevens

Bruce Saunder Acres Wright

saintbob
SS Life Member

Geary Delaney Dempster
Roberton Fisher Webster
Shenton Newnes Montagna
Wright Riewoldt Billings
Membrey Bruce Lonie

Hickey Armitage Steven

Dunstan, Acres, Weller, Longer

saintmat

I love playing coach. In this round 1 team I had a go at trying Roo on the wing and Joey on the back flank ( he seemed to do a good job on Saturday across half back). I quite like having tough on ballers come in off half back so I'm starting Dunstan off half back to. I also love a tough back pocket so Weller starts back there. And being a true coach you have to play your coaches favourite ( in my case Holmes). As for my Riewoldtless forwardline......you bee the judge. Anyway this is my 1st post on this forum so go easy on me...

B Geary Delaney Weller
HB Dunstan Fisher Montagna
C Templeton Newnes Roo
HF Membrey Bruce Billings
F Lonie McMartin White
On ballers: Hickey Armitage Stevens

Bench: Dempster Holmes Acres Saunders.

Emergency Lee Minch & Roberton

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Dempster Delaney Shenton
Wright Fisher Geary
Newnes Dunstan Montagna
Saunders Riewoldt Templeton
Lonie Bruce Membrey

Hickey Armitage Steven

Acres Weller Lee Curren

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote: I think Lee and Spencer both did okay in that game but weren't way ahead of Mc cartin. I thought Mc cartin was just serviceable against Essendon and won't be surprised if we swap one or two in next week and use the finger as an excuse to rest him. I think Lee would have to be the favourite to get the spot first still.

Well we'll have a clearer idea after Thursday no doubt. Certainly a spot up for grabs for one of White, Lee and McCartin. I wouldn't think Paddy's necessarily a walk up start simply because he was No. 1 pick.

I've got Bruce in as a definite and Membrey as a probable along with obviously Riewoldt if he's right.

QuestionOfAccuracy
Club Player

B: Geary, Delaney, Dempster
HB: Wright, Fisher, Montagna
c: Templeton, Dunstan, Newnes
HF: Saad, Roo, Steven
F: Bruce, Hickey, Lonie
Foll: Longer, Armitage, Weller

Int: Acres, Saunders, Curren, Billings

Ruck - I only had Longer in WITH Hickey because Hickey has had a limited preparation. If Hickey stays healthy, once he gets a couple of games under his belt I think they'll shelve Longer and let Bruce be a pinch-hitter in the ruck (or Lee, if Lee is in).

Billings - included him; he will have had pretty much a month to rehab his hammy be the time Round 1 comes about. I had him in only thinking he'd be used as the sub. Keep in mind, he is one of our more promising players who actually completted a full pre-season (unlike Hickey, Dunstan, Steven etc).

gringo
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
gringo wrote: I think Lee and Spencer both did okay in that game but weren't way ahead of Mc cartin. I thought Mc cartin was just serviceable against Essendon and won't be surprised if we swap one or two in next week and use the finger as an excuse to rest him. I think Lee would have to be the favourite to get the spot first still.

Well we'll have a clearer idea after Thursday no doubt. Certainly a spot up for grabs for one of White, Lee and McCartin. I wouldn't think Paddy's necessarily a walk up start simply because he was No. 1 pick.

I've got Bruce in as a definite and Membrey as a probable along with obviously Riewoldt if he's right.

He had it taped up yesterday but said it's fine and did a heap of handshaking and patting kids heads with it. He's a gun with the crowds and will be an asset off the field. He's a very genuine friendly guy and loves talking to all the kids. Lee is really good to. If the start to play like the schmooze we win big time. Paddy and Holmes were first to arrive last to leave at the gardens and went round everyone. They have really drummed the importance of getting among the people into them. Even fisher who usually looks like he's wanting to go when ever he does any promo is getting better at it.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Good to hear of another successful pro event.

Did they give away free ice coffee also?

Had our school fair on yesterday so couldn't attend. From memory there was an open training session the Saturday prior to the gprix last year - trying to cash in on that stupid race.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
resaintlee
Club Player

Weller being in the leadership group should start on the ground.