How many wins this year?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: How many wins this year?

citywest wrote:History says that teams do not go the whole season without a win. Yet in 2015 St Kilda may re-write history and have a winless season. I can't see us beating GWS or Footscray. The only 2 teams that we may beat this year are Carlton or Melbourne.

Beating Carlton would be nice. :D

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Stephen Theodore wrote:2-4 wins, hope I'm wrong, and we sneak a few more

I think you are spot on.

QuestionOfAccuracy
Club Player

3 is my guess.

But, if we have a healthy Fisher, Steven and Riewoldt then we can be more competitive in more games.

PJ
SS Life Member

How long's a piece of string?

Somewhere between 0 and 23 I believe.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Good to see citywest (got to be a troll, too pessimistic not to be) doesn't think we'll win a game. Just go and barrack for another team; StKilda doesn't need "supporters" like you.

The Saints will be a far more competitive unit this season, anybody who went to one of the NAB games and WATCHED (rather than listened to some talking head ramble on) would have noted the improvement. That said, I have not planned on taking leave on Grand Final week and won't be queuing for finals tickets. A 12 to 14 finish is possible.

Saint supporter since '62
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Trev from the Bush wrote:Good to see citywest (got to be a troll, too pessimistic not to be) doesn't think we'll win a game. Just go and barrack for another team; StKilda doesn't need "supporters" like you.

The Saints will be a far more competitive unit this season, anybody who went to one of the NAB games and WATCHED (rather than listened to some talking head ramble on) would have noted the improvement. That said, I have not planned on taking leave on Grand Final week and won't be queuing for finals tickets. A 12 to 14 finish is possible.
Agree re CW.

Please take a reality check.

If you honestly think we can finish 12th this year something is amiss.

Look at all the injuries we currently have. 5 wins would be a miracle!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:History says that teams do not go the whole season without a win. Yet in 2015 St Kilda may re-write history and have a winless season. I can't see us beating GWS or Footscray. The only 2 teams that we may beat this year are Carlton or Melbourne.
Yet on another thread you say we will be close to a flag in 2020.

Are you the full quid?

www.trollhelpline.com

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I think we are probably bottom 3 but we could still win 6 to 8 games if the injuries hold off. There is always one or two against a team that disrespects you. The dees, dogs and probably a couple of others ready for crash landings. Could see us rolling Brisbane etc. the giants and suns should improve heaps but young teams usually go hard against good opposition and could take us lightly.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:Are we talking home and away or are we including finals?

This

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:I think we are probably bottom 3 but we could still win 6 to 8 games if the injuries hold off. There is always one or two against a team that disrespects you. The dees, dogs and probably a couple of others ready for crash landings. Could see us rolling Brisbane etc. the giants and suns should improve heaps but young teams usually go hard against good opposition and could take us lightly.

But we already have them, and we have weeks to go until the real stuff even starts. We won't have Gilbert by the sounds of it for much of the year, nor Ray, and one of the players we do have in that 23-27 age bracket, Arryn Siposs, is out for the year.

I think we need to believe that we will be in games for longer, but apart from the teams I have already mentioned - and for the reasons mentioned - very difficult to see where we will get many more wins from.

Bottom two - two wins likely, maximum of four. Hope to get the percentage up to at least 68%. If injury rates stabilise hopefully we can see no players gifted games, but when guys earn a game they stay in for three or four weeks.
It's going to be a long year.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Can be bothered going through AFL history, but just wondering if any team has gone from last to winning the flag the following season?????

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

12 wins

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
70s sainter
Club Player

Can't see us beating gws in round 1 and who knows from there .
I'm sure we ll get a couple of wins but to who?
I wouldn't know.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Almost as impossible to lose every game as it is to win every game. Good teams get complacent; poor teams get a sniff.

So like others I think we’ll win a few times though I’m not sure exactly which matches they will be.

Hopefully they’re Etihad games so I can see them live and in the flesh.

Having said that, I’m happy to give one up one of those for that NZ win we desperately need.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:
gringo wrote:I think we are probably bottom 3 but we could still win 6 to 8 games if the injuries hold off. There is always one or two against a team that disrespects you. The dees, dogs and probably a couple of others ready for crash landings. Could see us rolling Brisbane etc. the giants and suns should improve heaps but young teams usually go hard against good opposition and could take us lightly.

But we already have them, and we have weeks to go until the real stuff even starts. We won't have Gilbert by the sounds of it for much of the year, nor Ray, and one of the players we do have in that 23-27 age bracket, Arryn Siposs, is out for the year.

I think we need to believe that we will be in games for longer, but apart from the teams I have already mentioned - and for the reasons mentioned - very difficult to see where we will get many more wins from.

Bottom two - two wins likely, maximum of four. Hope to get the percentage up to at least 68%. If injury rates stabilise hopefully we can see no players gifted games, but when guys earn a game they stay in for three or four weeks.
It's going to be a long year.

I'm pretty pumped. I'm not sure how many wins it will equate to but I can see plenty of guys stepping up. We still have a pretty small injury list. Sipposs, Gilbert and ross the injuries that will actually cost regular season games. Gilbert said his foot is good and should start full training soon. He said the foot isn't the same issue rather a hot spot that occurred elsewhere and they are ultraconservative now. Ross is a loss but shouldn't make any real difference to the output of the team. The players all mentioned the energy and training being better than most years and seemed genuinely pumped. Roberto said the guys all are on the same page and know the game plan inside out. I think we should be keeping an open mind with wins. Could get 2 or 8 wins if everything gets going. Eight would give us a good spring board for 2016.

bigballs
Club Player

As we all know, anything can happen between now and the end of the season as far as injuries go, so if we can be lucky enough to stay injury free from here on in, I reckon we should win at least 6 or more games.

Any win we get will be great of course, but the one against Carlton in NZ would be a special one. :D

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I think the longer Gilbert doesnt play the better he gets in people's minds. The guy is a turnover merchant.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Mon 16 Mar 2015 10:31pm, edited 1 time in total.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Can be bothered going through AFL history, but just wondering if any team has gone from last to winning the flag the following season?????
Not in the modern era but Collingwood made the GF in 1977 after being bottom in 76

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:I think the longer Gilbert doesnt player the better he gets in people's minds. The guy is a turnover merchant.
Indeed he is.

Worst kick on the list now Clint "shank" Jones is gone.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Can be bothered going through AFL history, but just wondering if any team has gone from last to winning the flag the following season?????
No team has ever done it. Closest was the filth in 1977, when they made, and drew the GF against North after winning the spoon in 1976. Fitzroy holds the unique distinction of winning both the spoon and flag in the same year, being 1916. There were only four teams in the competition and they only won two games for the season, coming last. They went on to win their finals and claimed the flag. Another one they pinched after robbing us in 1913.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Remember that we beat the Swans early in the season last year. Virtually all other teams will be slowly building fitness wise aiming to peak in September. I think we've been training really hard to give us an edge to get an early win or two and take the pressure off. Our defense is showing we can keep teams to a beatable score this year (albeit after only 2 praccy games). If McCartin, Lee, Billings, White, Membry, Bruce, Templeton, Lonie and some of the mids can scrape some goals together to add to Rooeys I think we can kick winnable scores.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:Remember that we beat the Swans early in the season last year. Virtually all other teams will be slowly building fitness wise aiming to peak in September. I think we've been training really hard to give us an edge to get an early win or two and take the pressure off. Our defense is showing we can keep teams to a beatable score this year (albeit after only 2 praccy games). If McCartin, Lee, Billings, White, Membry, Bruce, Templeton, Lonie and some of the mids can scrape some goals together to add to Rooeys I think we can kick winnable scores.

I think that first statement is completely wrong. I cant see why GWS wouldn't want to be as fit as us in round one. Neither are playing for finals.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:
Bluthy wrote:Remember that we beat the Swans early in the season last year. Virtually all other teams will be slowly building fitness wise aiming to peak in September. I think we've been training really hard to give us an edge to get an early win or two and take the pressure off. Our defense is showing we can keep teams to a beatable score this year (albeit after only 2 praccy games). If McCartin, Lee, Billings, White, Membry, Bruce, Templeton, Lonie and some of the mids can scrape some goals together to add to Rooeys I think we can kick winnable scores.

I think that first statement is completely wrong. I cant see why GWS wouldn't want to be as fit as us in round one. Neither are playing for finals.
So you're saying that my bet for us to go through undefeated might not get up?

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

remboy wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

So you're saying that my bet for us to go through undefeated might not get up?

No. I think we will every game. Just saying GWS may not be as easy as most think.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

GWS may WANT to be as fit as us but maybe we have pushed the envelope with preseason because we know how hard it will be for us to win and want to get one or two early. That would explain some of the injuries. Its a working theory I'm going with. If we win some early ones by running over the top of everyone I will trumpet what an analytic genius I am. If we don't win then I just slyly let it slide.