NAB Challenge 2: Saints v Topups

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Re: NAB Challenge 2: Saints v Topups

plugger66 wrote:
Linton Lodger wrote:Again the doomsayers appear not to know the game. Yet again there was a lot to like, as there was last week, despite the opposition.

It is now clear what Richo's game plan is and the team is executing it reasonably well. The particularly pleasing aspect of yesterday's game, which got me really excited, were our clean hands around the stoppages.

Cameron Bruce showed he is more than capable of playing Riewoldt's hit up to the wings role and that means that Riewoldt can play closer to goal. This will make Riewoldt a more dangerous proposition for our opponents and may even prolong his career.

Mc Cartin is physically ready to play which will accelerate his development. Whilst we need to keep a lid on it (unlike Melbourne with Watts) the boy reminds me of another big log that played for us once upon a time, whom we affectionately called Plugger.

Hugh Goddard is a Gorilla and will be a fine KPP whether back or forward.

We have all been excited about Dunstan & Billings, well you can add Acres to that list, he plays a lot taller than he is and will grow into a brute.

Saad's resurrection and improvement is amazing. If Saad applies such strength of character for the rest of his career he will be quite a player. And I'll admit I was not a great fan of his prior to his suspension.

Holmes will be an AFL player and quite a good one and fellow ruckman Hickey will be a great monster of a ruckman, he will be a far superior ruckman than McEvoy.

Armitage and Steven appear to have stepped up to the plate post Lenny and are in really good nick.

I'm excited about our list, I am confident that it is better than the last one and I don't think we'll be waiting too long for an upward trajectory.
I read the thread again and cant see any doomsayers. I did read people saying certain players lack skill and that is fact not opinion. I must have watched 2 different games regarding Saad. Looks the same stay home forward pocket goal sneek as before. he will be in and out of the side IMO. And I hope you are right about Hickey but at the moment Ben Has been one of the better players in a winning GF. And to be honest IMO the current list is no where near as good as the last one. We are at least 5 excellent players short of that list. maybe up to 10 players short of the previous list. It will hopefully come but we are nowhere near it yet. The positives after 2 games have been Lonie, Newnes and Bruce. The real negative is we have lost 2 players for around half a season.
Agree with you re: Lonie & Newnes, I didn't get to them (I'm confident Newnes is a potential champion) and Lonie is really exciting.

In regard to Saad, his improvement is obvious, he now runs in straight lines at the footy (rather than in a semi circle around it), he did do more work up the ground and more running, he is not as one sided as he was and his decision making has improved out of sight. Quite an effort for someone who has trained by themselves for 18 months.

People writing off players as lacking in skill after one or two games are premature and could be construed as doomsayers. A player out of form or with compromised preparation could appear to have skill deficits in a match pressure situation.

I will put my comments about the list into perspective. I was excited about our last list in 2002. I saw then it was potentially a Premiership list (didn't turn out that way, but came really close and were good enough on 4 occasions). So to put my comment into context, I am far more excited by our current list than I was in 2002 (or in 2003).

Yes, McEvoy did have a great Grand Final, but look at his opponent, a player with limitations who had an insipid shocker in the Grand Final. If Sydney still had Mumford they'd be the reigning Premier and I think it would have been a very different story for McEvoy. Halfway through last year McEvoy was the third ruckman at Hawthorn. Also, who was it that we effectively got for McEvoy?

5 excellent players short? 10 players short? Too early to tell and I beg to differ. A few quick outside mids short maybe, the rest is a matter of development and experience.

Finally do not underestimate the significance of the clean hands under pressure, it is a very promising sign.
Last edited by Linton Lodger on Sun 08 Mar 2015 3:53pm, edited 1 time in total.

spert
Saintsational Legend

The makings of a good list I think, and it appears Richo is keen on the run at all costs attacking game, as long as we have the players who can execute by hand and foot, it is a good ploy, but we have a couple of weak links in skills and no doubt Richo will work on that. Looking at yesterday's hitout, Richo will need to settle the forward line structure, but obviously until Roo returns, then it's up in the air a bit. The small forwards will need to be sorted, and at least there are skillful options in Saad, Lonie, Minch to juggle, and the medium size options are improving. I'm feeling pretty positive about things, but the leg injuries are a worry, and I think the players a being trained more as runners than footballers, and I reckon the methods might be reviewed sooner than later.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Linton Lodger wrote:Again the doomsayers appear not to know the game. Yet again there was a lot to like, as there was last week, despite the opposition.

It is now clear what Richo's game plan is and the team is executing it reasonably well. The particularly pleasing aspect of yesterday's game, which got me really excited, were our clean hands around the stoppages.

Cameron Bruce showed he is more than capable of playing Riewoldt's hit up to the wings role and that means that Riewoldt can play closer to goal. This will make Riewoldt a more dangerous proposition for our opponents and may even prolong his career.

Mc Cartin is physically ready to play which will accelerate his development. Whilst we need to keep a lid on it (unlike Melbourne with Watts) the boy reminds me of another big log that played for us once upon a time, whom we affectionately called Plugger.

Hugh Goddard is a Gorilla and will be a fine KPP whether back or forward.

We have all been excited about Dunstan & Billings, well you can add Acres to that list, he plays a lot taller than he is and will grow into a brute.

Saad's resurrection and improvement is amazing. If Saad applies such strength of character for the rest of his career he will be quite a player. And I'll admit I was not a great fan of his prior to his suspension.

Holmes will be an AFL player and quite a good one and fellow ruckman Hickey will be a great monster of a ruckman, he will be a far superior ruckman than McEvoy.

Armitage and Steven appear to have stepped up to the plate post Lenny and are in really good nick.

I'm excited about our list, I am confident that it is better than the last one and I don't think we'll be waiting too long for an upward trajectory.
I read the thread again and cant see any doomsayers. I did read people saying certain players lack skill and that is fact not opinion. I must have watched 2 different games regarding Saad. Looks the same stay home forward pocket goal sneek as before. he will be in and out of the side IMO. And I hope you are right about Hickey but at the moment Ben Has been one of the better players in a winning GF. And to be honest IMO the current list is no where near as good as the last one. We are at least 5 excellent players short of that list. maybe up to 10 players short of the previous list. It will hopefully come but we are nowhere near it yet. The positives after 2 games have been Lonie, Newnes and Bruce. The real negative is we have lost 2 players for around half a season.
Agree with you re: Lonie & Newnes, I didn't get to them (I'm confident Newnes is a potential champion) and Lonie is really exciting.

In regard to Saad, his improvement is obvious, he now runs in straight lines at the footy (rather than in a semi circle around it), he did do more work up the ground and more running, he is not as one sided as he was and his decision making has improved out of sight. Quite an effort for someone who has trained by themselves for 18 months.

People writing off players as lacking in skill after one or two games are premature and could be construed as doomsayers. A player out of form or with compromised preparation could appear to have skill deficits in a match pressure situation.

I will put my comments about the list into perspective. I was excited about our last list in 2002. I saw then it was potentially a Premiership list (didn't turn out that way, but came really close and were good enough on 4 occasions). So to put my comment into context, I am far more excited by our current list than I was in 2002 (or in 2003).

Yes, McEvoy did have a great Grand Final, but look at his opponent, a player with limitations who had an insipid shocker in the Grand Final. If Sydney still had Mumford they'd be the reigning Premier and I think it would have been a very different story for McEvoy. Halfway through last year McEvoy was the third ruckman at Hawthorn. Also, who was it that we effectively got for McEvoy?

5 excellent players short? 10 players short? Too early to tell and I beg to differ. A few quick outside mids short maybe, the rest is a matter of development and experience.

Finally do not underestimate the significance of the clean hands under pressure, it is a very promising sign.
Couldn't be bothered but couldn't disagree more. Saad is exactly the same player he was 2 years ago and we are clearly 5- 10 players short. You will get more credit and I will be a pessimist and fair enough on a saints site. Post the same when GWS are likely to smash us at home in round one.

PJ
SS Life Member

Have no idea how you would work out 5 to 10 players. You maybe right but given some will retire in 2 years (veterans), some will become good to great players (way too early to call) and some will flop - most kids have only played a low amount of games.

We have a large amount of speculative players currently on our list that are just starting their careers and a big hole in the middle age tier. We are so far from a predictable squad it isn't funny.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:Have no idea how you would work out 5 to 10 players. You maybe right but given some will retire in 2 years (veterans), some will become good to great players (way too early to call) and some will flop - most kids have only played a low amount of games.

We have a large amount of speculative players currently on our list that are just starting their careers and a big hole in the middle age tier. We are so far from a predictable squad it isn't funny.

I think you have exactly said why it would be at least 5 to 10 players short of a great side. It certainly wont be less.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote:Mc Cartin is physically ready to play which will accelerate his development. Whilst we need to keep a lid on it (unlike Melbourne with Watts) the boy reminds me of another big log that played for us once upon a time, whom we affectionately called Plugger.
You say "keep a lid on it" and in the same sentence liken him to one of the five greatest footballers to ever play the game?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
Linton Lodger wrote:Mc Cartin is physically ready to play which will accelerate his development. Whilst we need to keep a lid on it (unlike Melbourne with Watts) the boy reminds me of another big log that played for us once upon a time, whom we affectionately called Plugger.
You say "keep a lid on it" and in the same sentence liken him to one of the five greatest footballers to ever play the game?
:D

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Con Gorozidis wrote:
bergholt wrote:
I said he reminds me, not that he will be. Specifically his reading of the play. Many said his highlights reel lacked the spectacular. What it did show was Mc Cartin taking easy chest marks on a lead with his opponent nowhere to be seen. If you looked at a video of all Lockett's career goals, most of them would be Plugger on a lead taking a simple mark whilst his opponent was lost. Superior reading of the play. In that regard McCartin is similar to Lockett. Not to mention his vice like grip on the ball when he marks.

saint-stu
Club Player

Acres looks a similar size and build to BJ Goddard. Would be very happy if he could be a similar player.

So many unknowns. I'm optimistic about many of these young guys but still expect us to be a bottom team this year.

1ac46a38
Sobraz
SS Life Member

Despite conflicting opinions on his game, I was most impressed by Acres. He has a genuine superstar ceiling. Very Nat Fyfe like, and he will be a monster of a young man. Josh Kennedy/David Mundy size with serious overhead abilities.

The way he timed his fly for several marks was spot on, and in time, he will be clunking them. He finds the ball and moves through traffic effortlessly. His kicking is average, but not beyond repair unlike others. He really could be anything. Very happy he is signed up for the next 4 years.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
bergholt wrote:

Who turns 49 today just quietly. Happy birthday GOAT!

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:Despite conflicting opinions on his game, I was most impressed by Acres. He has a genuine superstar ceiling. Very Nat Fyfe like, and he will be a monster of a young man. Josh Kennedy/David Mundy size with serious overhead abilities.

The way he timed his fly for several marks was spot on, and in time, he will be clunking them. He finds the ball and moves through traffic effortlessly. His kicking is average, but not beyond repair unlike others. He really could be anything. Very happy he is signed up for the next 4 years.
5 years :-)
Im with you on this. He really tries for his marks in the fwd line jumping in front of packs Fyfe style. He hasnt held on to any yet... But once he does he could be anything... Reads the ball in the air well and is going to be a monster. Still only 19 1/2.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

I was away up the mountains for the weekend. There wasn't a tellie in sight and only had my mini Ipad to keep me in touch with the world. So you can image my very welcome surprise when i actually got to see the replay of the match. No gloom and doom at all and many promising performances from the young guys, not to mention Joey's excellent game off the half back line.

Special mention goes to Lonie, Goddard, Ross, Acres, Bruce and Newnes. We have a very bright future ahead.

Anyone suggesting we trade either of Steven or Armitage knows nothing about football or the building blocks that go to make a successful side.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

saint-stu wrote:Acres looks a similar size and build to BJ Goddard. Would be very happy if he could be a similar player.
He reminds me so much of BJ in the way he moves. Hope he is half the player BJ was for us - We will have a very serviceable player.
I thought that when I watched him early last season for Sandy against North Ballarat.
Acres is the one I am really looking forward to seeing develop this season.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Looking forward to watching the replay last night but was busy watching the Bangers beat the Poms.

Which are the 2 best quarters to watch?

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Looking forward to watching the replay last night but was busy watching the Bangers beat the Poms.

3rd and 4th.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Looking forward to watching the replay last night but was busy watching the Bangers beat the Poms.

3rd and 4th.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Can you only get 2 quarters?

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

2nd and 4th if you want to see us outscore them by the greatest amounts.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

You've got nine days before we play again. And they're only short quarters so no need to limit yourself to two.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
dsav
Club Player

I've put the photo album from the game up.
http://www.davesavell.com/p432739514

Dave
@SavellDave

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:

You've got nine days before we play again. And they're only short quarters so no need to limit yourself to two.
I was so desperate I watched the Lions game twice. Sad I know.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

dsav wrote:I've put the photo album from the game up.
http://www.davesavell.com/p432739514

Dave
@SavellDave
Great photos but I should let you know that while I was looking at the photo of CJ I got a phone call from the 80s asking me for their hair style back.
Something about Edward Beale? Anyway if anyone knows CJ let him they are looking for him. They didn't leave a call back number but its probably in an old phone book somewhere.