A new saints video

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

A new saints video

Hey all,

Some of you may recall that I posted a video around this time last year about Scott Watters being sacked... thought I'd try something again.

This is a video about the Saints 2014 season with reviews of the list and the trade/draft coming

I also thought it would be fun to do a viewer questions one down the line so that's coming too

Please enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_SbGY8AGGM

I appreciate any feedback, likes, comments on the vid etc
In the future I'm going to try and look at a way to make the vids more visual spectacles rather than listen to pieces with pics... took a step towards that this time... hope you like that

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Re: A new saints video

Hi Skep', I make no claims at being a cinematic critic, but the impression from this punter is...

Liked:
The production qualities... looked really good.
The script.
Plenty of JO shots inserted to keep SS's (almost) most prolific poster happy. :D

Possible room for improvement(?):
The narration style.

Very clear diction, which IMHO is the number one requirement. However, the narration was a bit monotone, a bit flat, and hence the video seemed to drag on somewhat...

And this is unfair, and shouldn't be the case, coz I thought that the script was interesting, concise, accurate in its assessments, and threw-in some (often subtle) humour. But the script's quality was unfortunately overshadowed/lost somewhat because of the (overly, IMHO) restrained narration.

I reckon this issue could be easily fixed with a bit of passion, a bit of emotion, inserted here and there.

I mean, it's religion (football) we're talkin' here!!! And footy is first and foremost about... passion!!!

Am I being too harsh...?

(NB: Re inserting "a bit" of passion...
of course the term "a bit" definitely does not mean over-the-top-boy-oh-boy!-we-all-feel-embarrassed-for-you Brian Taylor-esque commentary, nor Bwuce's cringeworthily overly-gushing "special" style. Delicious... not! :roll:

As for humour, I reckon you've already nailed that, Skep... largely subtle, and certainly not over-done/bordering on try-hard, as per Dennis Cometti.)

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
saynta
Saintsational Legend

It was all a bit too depressing for me. i lasted less than two minutes.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Another great effort Skeptic…

People don’t realise how much time and effort goes into these kinds of things…

My only comments would be to try and cut it down a little closer to 5 minutes… could probably get through the names of the “promising players” faster - maybe just surnames? A few other sections could do with some speeding up IMO too…

But overall I think you are giving a good review of the season.

keep it up.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Thank you both so much for the feedback :D

Obviously this is a work in progress but it's really important to get feedback now while I'm still learning how to do this. I think putting more color and emotion without getting to the WOOOWEEEE level is a brilliant suggestion.

I think for the future I have to pay more attention for when I bring these out as 5mths after season is too late for a review. Me thinks the player and draft/trade r/v will have to be made pretty short to maintain interest. Or perhaps it'll be better to focus on expectations for the coming season more. I have to figure out a way to get my hands on some game footage I reckon.

Either way thank you both.

The last vid is going to be a Saintsational ask a question type deal so I hope you both, as well as many more, submit something down the line

Cheers

Also Saynt, it got more positive as the vid went on with the basic premise being we met reasonable expectations and injuries exposed us for having little depth. I am a rose colored glasses Saints fan after all

dragit
Saintsational Legend

you could maybe sneaky download some youtube clips from the AFL using a site like keepvid.com

The AFL puts together little highlights packages like this

at worst you may be asked to remove it for a copyright infringement, but you should be right.

A couple of other ideas:

for the injuries - you could just quickly put up a list of names with the amount of games they missed (like the weekly injury list)

And maybe the promising players you could put up a grid of all the players together - brady bunch style.

I would get your voice over right first, snappy, engaging… then cut your pictures to that…

Always better to leave people wanting more, rather than losing their attention.

have fun!