if we got Tom Boyd....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

if we got Tom Boyd....

Assuming we gave pick 1 for Boyd.....

What would our future Forward line look like post Reiwoldt

Templeton...............Boyd...............White/Lee
Membrey................Stanley.............Billings/Murdoch

pretty good!

Nee!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: if we got Tom Boyd....

fugazi wrote:Assuming we gave pick 1 for Boyd.....

pretty good!

Top 16 side.

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

We need midfielders, not Boyd.

In a couple of years time I'm sure a Boyd or Cameron will available, until then stock up on mids.

saint-stu
Club Player

Billings will be in the midfield long term.

1ac46a38
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Stephen Theodore wrote:We need midfielders, not Boyd.

In a couple of years time I'm sure a Boyd or Cameron will available, until then stock up on mids.
Well said ST!

That's what our hitting the PSD and FA 'real hard' will be about... from about 2016... when the time is right. :twisted:

In the meantime, we get a season or two more to see how our current mob develop.
That way, we'll be in a far better position to know the type of player/s that we need to top-up on before we unleash the dynasty. :idea:

Patience and timing remain the keys.

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:
Stephen Theodore wrote:We need midfielders, not Boyd.

Well said ST!

That's what our hitting the PSD and FA 'real hard' will be about... from about 2016... when the time is right. :twisted:

In the meantime, we get a season or two more to see how our current mob develop.
That way, we'll be in a far better position to know the type of player/s that we need to top-up on before we unleash the dynasty. :idea:

Patience and timing remain the keys.

I agree about at least 2016 for FA. I actually think maybe a year to early but we shall see. Unfortunately the PSD is basically finished so we wont get a proven player from that draft. We may get a disgruntled young promising player but even that would be very doubtful.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

a blue chip midfield makes an average forward line look strong ... a strong forward line with an average midfield quickly becomes an average forward line

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

I think we'll only know the value of a gun KPP when Riewoldt retires.

We've had champion forwards dating back to 1983. Riewoldt, Loewe, Lockett. I think we just assume they'll always "be there".

Now we are on the brink of having none. Having seen the Bulldogs figuratively hit the ceiling without a gun forward, I can't stress how important having a target is.

You can always acquire midfielders, especially in free agency. Not elite fowards. Maybe one or two pops up each year - and there's 15 clubs trying to get them.

Yes, we need gun midfielders. Yes, we need gun tall defenders.

But gun forwards are the hardest to get. We can get the rest in coming drafts.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:I think we'll only know the value of a gun KPP when Riewoldt retires.

We've had champion forwards dating back to 1983. Riewoldt, Loewe, Lockett. I think we just assume they'll always "be there".

Now we are on the brink of having none. Having seen the Bulldogs figuratively hit the ceiling without a gun forward, I can't stress how important having a target is.

You can always acquire midfielders, especially in free agency. Not elite fowards. Maybe one or two pops up each year - and there's 15 clubs trying to get them.

Who are the gun forwards available this year? Maybe McCartin will be a gun, maybe he wont. What I do know is if we got him and didn't get many good mids he wont look like a gun. Have a look at the GF this year and see what gun mids can do. Franklin was clearly Sydney's best player and they still got smashed because the Hawks mids dominated. Tall forwards will go the way of the ruckman in coming years. They will be traded for at a later age and wont go as high in the draft in future IMO unless they are so far clear of the next person in the draft. Even Boyd and Patton were clearly better than the next player and haven't really shown a huge amount yet.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:I think we'll only know the value of a gun KPP when Riewoldt retires.

We had the greatest full forward of all time for 11 years,we made the finals twice.
We had the greatest contested and pack marker of all time for 16 years,we failed to win a flag
We have had rewoildt for 13 years....yep,out footy club has still only won 1 premiership in 118 years, yet in the time we had these freak forwards in the past 31 years from Lockett to now,we have won another 6-7 wooden spoons.

This latest era of kicking it to Rewoildt at nauseum can't come to an end quick enough

Bring back the Lockett era
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Reckon if we could get the stand out no 1 pick from last year which was a standout draft....we would happily swap for the first pick wjo is not a standout in a fair to middling draft.

Nee!
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Reckon if we could get the stand out no 1 pick from last year which was a standout draft....we would happily swap for the first pick wjo is not a standout in a fair to middling draft.

Nee!
ROLS-LEE
Club Player

jonesy wrote:

We had the greatest full forward of all time for 11 years,we made the finals twice.
We had the greatest contested and pack marker of all time for 16 years,we failed to win a flag
We have had rewoildt for 13 years....yep,out footy club has still only won 1 premiership in 118 years, yet in the time we had these freak forwards in the past 31 years from Lockett to now,we have won another 6-7 wooden spoons.

This latest era of kicking it to Rewoildt at nauseum can't come to an end quick enough
Totally agree. Could not say it better. We need to load up on quality mids. They need elite kicking and a bit of agro.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I would look at Rhys Mc Kenzie, Kietel, Hammillmann and try to pry Mc Carthy or Stewart out from GWS. All capable forward options perhaps with out the obvious junior talent of Boyd but all potentially very good players with good qualities. I think we probably need to grab one more forward and sort out a best few. One or two may even end up backs.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

All this talk of 'gun fwds.' Did Boyd just play 20 games of AFL and kick 30 goals in his first season and I missed it???

He looks very promising. So did Gumbleton. So did Kosi. Both had their careers curled by injury I know. Not knocking Kos b/c he was actually a very serviceable player for us. The point is do we throw the kitchen sink at an untried promising talent? We do if it's a Buddy Franklin, Jeremy Cameron, Tom Hawkins. They are proven gun fwds.

There's something desperate about the doggies offering 100's of thousands of dollars at a kid who has played only a handful of games. It looks all or nothing.

I say we keep the course we're on and see what pops up, rather than forcing anything. Petracca may be a gun mid, he may also be the next Chris Judd. They are NOT a dime a dozen.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

Mids get clearances AND kick goals.
Forwards kick goals.
Take the mids.

Saint michael

Not really...
Stanley is unpredictable. Templeton too early to tell amd too raw. Spencer too raw and too early.

robbie muir
Club Player

I believe the correct action is to look at Key forwards and build the team around them.
Midfielders will come in the following drafts.
In 2000 we drafted Roo and Kozi as key forwards.
In the following draft we added the midfielders around them including Ball , Montagna , Dal Santo and Clarke etc.
If Boyd is available to us I think we will take him.

Siposstar#2
Club Player

robbie muir wrote:I believe the correct action is to look at Key forwards and build the team around them.
In the following draft we added the midfielders around them including Ball , Montagna , Dal Santo and Clarke etc.
As much as I loved our side and we came so close. Look at Geelong's model.
,Corey,Chapman,Ablett,Bartel,Kelly,Johnson
Added N.Ablett and Hawkins later.
Young forwards look better with gun midfield's!

Formerly posted as magnifisaint 35
cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
fugazi wrote:Assuming we gave pick 1 for Boyd.....

pretty good!

Top 16 side.
top 15 if it wasn't for all the unnecessary 6 day breaks. Damn biased AFL draw.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

Siposstar#2 wrote:
robbie muir wrote:I believe the correct action is to look at Key forwards and build the team around them.
As much as I loved our side and we came so close. Look at Geelong's model.
,Corey,Chapman,Ablett,Bartel,Kelly,Johnson
Added N.Ablett and Hawkins later.
Young forwards look better with gun midfield's!
Gee they got helped by the father son rule.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.