Boyd requests trade to Bulldogs - How did we miss this????

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Re: Boyd requests trade to Bulldogs - How did we miss this??

FQF wrote:This is not f****** okay. We had the pick to do the deal, we have a stable club and coach and yet the farce that is WB convinced Boyd to play for them?

Disgraceful missed opportunity. Absolutely sick.
Bit of an over reaction there I reckon. He's unproven and taking one gun is not in line with the club strategy of multiple top 20 picks. Even if he was offered for pick 1,
I wouldn't take it.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:Don't know, but this would put Griffin for Boyd on the table, straight swap.

Would also put GWS back in the frame for pick 4 & 7 and a sweetener to us for pick 1. If the Jaksch deal is done I would consider 4, 7 & Frost for pick 1.
Agree with that.
Our chances of pulling off a deal with Cameron now appear very very slim.

4 + 7 + frost for pick 1 looks like our best chance of getting a deal done.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Mon 13 Oct 2014 12:40pm, edited 1 time in total.

FQF
SS Life Member

st.byron wrote:
FQF wrote:This is not f****** okay. We had the pick to do the deal, we have a stable club and coach and yet the farce that is WB convinced Boyd to play for them?

Bit of an over reaction there I reckon. He's unproven and taking one gun is not in line with the club strategy of multiple top 20 picks. Even if he was offered for pick 1,
I wouldn't take it.
If Boyd and Petracca were in the same draft, every recruiter in the country would take Boyd first.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Personally I am not a Boyd fan..

Good news too if they swap Boyd for Griffen is that it may open up getting 4, 7 and 19 for No 1 again...

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
BringBackMadDog
Club Player

I don't know why we would give up our first pick for Boyd who has yet to really prove himself. If we were going to go after a tall then surely we would just keep the pick and draft one of the talls available in this years draft. IF we are going to trade pics 1, i would really hope the club gets 2 picks in the top 10 and maybe another between 15 and 25 and then stockpile the best midfield talent available to us. I would much rather end up with Weller, Pickett and Cockatoo than just Boyd.
Our forward line would look a lot better if we had a midfield capable of winning the ball and then using it properly.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:
st.byron wrote:

I wouldn't take it.
If Boyd and Petracca were in the same draft, every recruiter in the country would take Boyd first.
You can't possibly know that. Purely your opinion and it depends on what each club needs.

evo
Club Player

FQF wrote:
st.byron wrote:

I wouldn't take it.

Boyd and then lots of daylight. Only three clubs appear to be interested in pick #1/Petracca from us (just another mid) no excitement here.

Megamaguire
Club Player

Boyd or Petracca ??

With the permutations whirling around the recruiting table in Western Sydney of Griffin in and McCarthey looking promising as a fwd. alongside Cameron and/ or Patton if he makes a successful recovery. I wonder if the GWS brains trust are simply considering the scenario of Petracca vs Boyd?

Griffin and Petracca 'in' could potentially bring about an irresistable positive change to the GWS team.
A shame to lose Boyd in the process but the process still allows for Cameron, McCarthey and maybe even Patton to shine while adding significantly new mid-field depth to what is there already.
True believer poses an interesting scenario for GWS. Saints may be able to get the 3 picks in the top 20 afterall but...
letting go of Petracca - what a curly one.

G O S A I N T S ! :D
Last edited by Megamaguire on Mon 13 Oct 2014 12:48pm, edited 1 time in total.

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
Saint wagga
Club Player

st.byron wrote:
FQF wrote:
st.byron wrote:

I wouldn't take it.
You can't possibly know that. Purely your opinion and it depends on what each club needs.
I tend to agree with FQF - last years top 5 was and is turning out to be a boom crop and there was never any doubt who the top dog was (pardon the pun). It was Boyd and then daylight, and looking at the calibre of players taken 2-5, sheesh, the recruiters must have thought the big unit has the goods. He will be a gun IMO!

FQF
SS Life Member

Re: Boyd or Petracca ??

Megamaguire wrote:With the permutations whirling around the recruiting table in Western Sydney of Griffin in and McCarthey looking promising as a fwd. alongside Cameron and/ or Patton if he makes a successful recovery. I wonder if the GWS brains trust are simply considering the scenario of Petracca vs Boyd?

Griffin and Petracca 'in' could potentially bring about an irresistable positive change to the GWS team.
A shame to lose Boyd in the process but the process still allows for Cameron, McCarthey and maybe even Patton to shine while adding significantly new mid-field depth to what is there already.
True believer poses an interesting scenario for GWS. Saints may be able to get the 3 picks in the top 20 afterall but...
letting go of Petracca - what a curly one.

G O S A I N T S ! :D
Would Griffen and Petracca really make that much of an immediate difference to GWS?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Surely Boyd for Griffen is the fair deal?

Then GWS send us 4, 7, 19 for Petracca.

GWS then have Griff + Petracca.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Surely Boyd for Griffen is the fair deal?

Then GWS send us 4, 7, 19 for Petracca.

GWS then have Griff + Petracca.
Do you really reckon GWS would give up three top 20 picks for #1?

I'd take that in a heartbeat if it was on the table.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

I reckon gWS have already put 4,19 and Frost on the table , but we are saying 2 x top 10 picks please + either 19 or Frost.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
sainter#4
Club Player

I feel so disappointed another young gun hasn't wanted to come to us

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

If we got 4 7 and 19 for pick 1,it would be the greatest swindle in the history of the universe

Bring back the Lockett era
SinCitySainter
Club Player

We should be asking for 4, 7 and McCarthy for pick 1 and 21.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Maybe Boyd saw the opportunity with the Griffen situation and pounced. He might have only discussed it with his Manager over the weekend.

Megamaguire
Club Player

Griffin & Patracca IN

FQF I don't even think it has to be that immediate although in the Griffin case they would hope to see a quick structural advancement to their team performances.

If Petracca could reasonably quickly get regular games that's the big bonus that I think must set them thinking.
Because this way it's shifting some emphasis back towards their midfield prospects.
I believe they would look at it long and hard -
well at least between now and Thursday.

S A I N T S !
Last edited by Megamaguire on Mon 13 Oct 2014 1:12pm, edited 1 time in total.

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

SinCitySainter wrote:We should be asking for 4, 7 and McCarthy for pick 1 and 21.
Totally agree that would be awesome for us. But I guess GWS would be loath to give up McCarthy if Boyd leaves and Patton is injured and Cameron is out of contract.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote:If we got 4 7 and 19 for pick 1,it would be the greatest swindle in the history of the universe
:D :D :D Wouldnt be a bad one

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Zed wrote:I reckon gWS have already put 4,19 and Frost on the table , but we are saying 2 x top 10 picks please + either 19 or Frost.
We'd be more interested if Jascsh was involved somehow, either added to the deal or a substitute for Frost.

luckysaint
Club Player

Hate all this whispering into players ears in-season. Not great for AFL or club culture. I'm happy to see our list grow organically via drafting for a while.

saintjake
Club Player

We shouldn't go after Boyd and we should just stick to "the vision"

We have a young group who seem to have all bought into "the vision" and have signed on together.
We currently have an abundance of forwards, albeit unproven. But with White, Lee, Stanley, Bruce, Membery (if it happens) and Siposs (I can still see it happening)
I think it's important to let them grow organically and see who can make it/sync together. Going out and drafting Boyd to me would seem like throwing a spanner in the works, I know he might turn out to be one of the best forwards in the comp, but one of those boys mentioned above night as well. And even if they don't, they might combine to be one of the most balanced forward lines in the comp. I believe chemistry is a big thing in team sports. Why rush it? Let them gel, give them time. Not all of them will make it, but we are in no rush. We have a plan (which obviously I've bought into 100%) and I think it's important to stick with it.

I think next year we will see Riewoldt float more through the wing and more of the focus drift towards Stanley and White/Lee. (Stanley was in the top players for winning 1v1's last year, the ball just needs to be kicked more to him)
I think we will see pick 1 traded for two top 10 picks (maybe a player thrown in)
I think we will invest those picks on midfielders probably with a focus on pace.
I think in the next two years (if Pierce and Holmes continue their development) we will see either Hickey or Longer traded for a fairly high first round pick.

And it's obvious we will see more tough calls on players who we might be shocked to see put up for trade, but that's why we will bounce back and be one of the only clubs who will match GWS/GC over the next decade.

The club is going places, just hold the faith

suss
Club Player

Massive missed opportunity. The number 1 draft pick ready to be offered up for the perfect Riewoldt replacement and we knuckle it.

I suppose we've got Tom Lee ready to step up. That makes me feel better ...

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

suss wrote:Massive missed opportunity. The number 1 draft pick ready to be offered up for the perfect Riewoldt replacement and we knuckle it.
Except I don't think the number 1 draft pick is actually being offered up.