My reason for Trading pick 1

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

citywest

My reason for Trading pick 1

Over the years St Kilda have always had champion players. In no particular order, Locket, Harvey, Riewoldt, Stewart, Baldock just to name a few. The problem is we have only ever had 1 champion team. We need to learn from this in order to avoid this repeating itself over and over and over. It is for this reason why I believe we should trade pick 1....for the right price!!!!!

If there is a team out there that is prepared to give us 1 top 10 pick and 2 picks in the top 20 then we should accept this. IMHO, there is at least 50% chance that 1 of those picks will yield a better player than Petracca, with the added bonus that if our recruiters get it right, we may replicate Billings, Dunstan and Acres type result from last year.

My only question is, "Is there a team out there that would agree to the above"? If the answer is yes and we do the trade it will be Saintsational. :idea:

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Re: My reason for Trading pick 1

Agree totally but hoping we get 2 top 10 or at least 2 top 12 picks.

I like the talent ranked 5-15 better than the top 5 when it comes to our needs and skill by foot.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Two top ten picks minimum for pick 1 or tell em to eff off

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

1 top 10 pick and 2 top 20 picks so you would get rid of pick for 10 and picks 19 and 20. I don't think so. Keep pick one unless we get a very promising footballer plus another top 10 like Melbourne last year. Surely we will just keep it.

I don't get this multiple picks will be better than pick one. Yes I have said many times there is no clear number one so maybe it isn't a strong draft but there is more hope of pick one being a champion or closer to it than a high top 10 pick and high top 20 picks. Maybe if we got pick 3 and 11 and 12 you would do it. Matter of fact you would. I actually would be trying to trade pick one for a young star player as it seems contracts mean bugger all this year.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:1 top 10 pick and 2 top 20 picks so you would get rid of pick for 10 and picks 19 and 20. I don't think so. Keep pick one unless we get a very promising footballer plus another top 10 like Melbourne last year. Surely we will just keep it.

I don't get this multiple picks will be better than pick one. Yes I have said many times there is no clear number one so maybe it isn't a strong draft but there is more hope of pick one being a champion or closer to it than a high top 10 pick and high top 20 picks. Maybe if we got pick 3 and 11 and 12 you would do it. Matter of fact you would. I actually would be trying to trade pick one for a young star player as it seems contracts mean bugger all this year.
I suppose the consensus is that 5-20 are highly rated and similarly rated this year. Personally, I agree with P66 (washing my mouth with soap as we speak), we got very lucky last year with Luke and Blake, I'm happy to keep pick one unless a crazy good deal was available - at this stage, that crazy good deal seems to be going the way of the Dogs so I think we will keep one and trade one of our better mids for a top 10 pick.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:1 top 10 pick and 2 top 20 picks so you would get rid of pick for 10 and picks 19 and 20. I don't think so. Keep pick one unless we get a very promising footballer plus another top 10 like Melbourne last year. Surely we will just keep it.

I suppose the consensus is that 5-20 are highly rated and similarly rated this year. Personally, I agree with P66 (washing my mouth with soap as we speak), we got very lucky last year with Luke and Blake, I'm happy to keep pick one unless a crazy good deal was available - at this stage, that crazy good deal seems to be going the way of the Dogs so I think we will keep one and trade one of our better mids for a top 10 pick.

People are allowed to agree with me. If people don't they are obviously wrong.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:

Agreed.

What's annoying are the suggested trade like 4 and 7 and saying McCartin and Laverde or whoever would be nice.

People need to remember you don't get the luxury of choosing who you pick up in comparison to pick 1.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

I wish something would happen, checking out this trade week daily is like watching grass grow, and, to think it goes on into next week as well. :roll:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
stinger
Saintsational Legend

citywest wrote:Over the years St Kilda have always had champion players. In no particular order, Locket, Harvey, Riewoldt, Stewart, Baldock just to name a few. The problem is we have only ever had 1 champion team. We need to learn from this in order to avoid this repeating itself over and over and over. It is for this reason why I believe we should trade pick 1....for the right price!!!!!

If there is a team out there that is prepared to give us 1 top 10 pick and 2 picks in the top 20 then we should accept this. IMHO, there is at least 50% chance that 1 of those picks will yield a better player than Petracca, with the added bonus that if our recruiters get it right, we may replicate Billings, Dunstan and Acres type result from last year.

My only question is, "Is there a team out there that would agree to the above"? If the answer is yes and we do the trade it will be Saintsational. :idea:
what a steaming bucket full of crap..... :roll:

<warning issued>

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

stinger wrote:
citywest wrote:Over the years St Kilda have always had champion players. In no particular order, Locket, Harvey, Riewoldt, Stewart, Baldock just to name a few. The problem is we have only ever had 1 champion team. We need to learn from this in order to avoid this repeating itself over and over and over. It is for this reason why I believe we should trade pick 1....for the right price!!!!!

<warning issued>
Agree!! Do people not realise sh*tywest is a troll?? Same for sainters85 :roll:

<warning issued>

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Can somebody please define "troll" for an old man?
Does disagreeing with club or supporter orthodoxies make one a troll?

Rosco
Club Player

Hardly a troll post, disregarding any past behaviour (I'm not aware)

In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people,[1] by posting inflammatory,[2] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[3] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.

From http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

Rosco wrote:Hardly a troll post, disregarding any past behaviour (I'm not aware)

In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people,[1] by posting inflammatory,[2] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[3] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.

From http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)
You've just described 80% of posts on the forum.

Rosco
Club Player

Are you trying to start an argument? :wink:

stinger
Saintsational Legend

LTN16 wrote:
stinger wrote:

<warning issued>
Agree!! Do people not realise sh*tywest is a troll?? Same for sainters85 :roll:

appears ypu are not allowed to say so....so much for free speech.... :roll:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

LTN16 wrote:Agree!! Do people not realise sh*tywest is a troll??
Seriously? citywest has had 566 posts in almost 3 years. If they're a troll they're playing a very long game.

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

bergholt wrote:
Seriously? citywest has had 566 posts in almost 3 years. If they're a troll they're playing a very long game.
Yeah some people don't have a life..

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

2 top 10 picks and another between 10-20 would be hard to turn down. 1 top 10 pick and 2 top 20's - not enough. 1 top 10 , 1 top 20 and a young established player might be acceptable.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
Trolls or not some posters just have an abrasive way of posting that irritate others with their lack of objectivity or positivity. A bit rough to warn over calling something a pile of crap.

citywest

I really do hope that Elshaugh and the Pelican get us a trade for pick 1. Like I said, I would be happy with a top 10 pick and 2 in the top 20 (or better). I saw someone post that if we just take pick 1 this year then every other pick is basically the same as the premier (which is true). If we do this each year it will be years before we catch up to Hawthorn, and now with Free Agency it could be 10 years. Picks 3, 18 and 19 got us Billings, Dunstan and Acres last year. If we were able to trade pick 1 this year for the equivalent of Billings, Dunstan and Acres that would surely be a win of mammoth proportions than just getting Petracca? To me it is a no brainer yet there are so many people against this. I just don't get it.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

citywest wrote:I really do hope that Elshaugh and the Pelican get us a trade for pick 1. Like I said, I would be happy with a top 10 pick and 2 in the top 20 (or better). I saw someone post that if we just take pick 1 this year then every other pick is basically the same as the premier (which is true). If we do this each year it will be years before we catch up to Hawthorn, and now with Free Agency it could be 10 years. Picks 3, 18 and 19 got us Billings, Dunstan and Acres last year. If we were able to trade pick 1 this year for the equivalent of Billings, Dunstan and Acres that would surely be a win of mammoth proportions than just getting Petracca? To me it is a no brainer yet there are so many people against this. I just don't get it.

Because like every draft it is a very big risk, We lucked out with Billings Acres and Dunstan.

What happens if (and no disrespect to these guys) we select a Raph, or a Farahen Ray?

Petracca will be an explosive gun. But there is still a risk he could be a Watts

Unless we trade for two top tens and a player or two tens and a 20, I would be extremely dissapointed to trade No.1

it is nota lay down misere that we get guns late in the draft every year.

You are garbage - Enough said
citywest

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
citywest wrote:I really do hope that Elshaugh and the Pelican get us a trade for pick 1. Like I said, I would be happy with a top 10 pick and 2 in the top 20 (or better). I saw someone post that if we just take pick 1 this year then every other pick is basically the same as the premier (which is true). If we do this each year it will be years before we catch up to Hawthorn, and now with Free Agency it could be 10 years. Picks 3, 18 and 19 got us Billings, Dunstan and Acres last year. If we were able to trade pick 1 this year for the equivalent of Billings, Dunstan and Acres that would surely be a win of mammoth proportions than just getting Petracca? To me it is a no brainer yet there are so many people against this. I just don't get it.

Because like every draft it is a very big risk, We lucked out with Billings Acres and Dunstan.

What happens if (and no disrespect to these guys) we select a Raph, or a Farahen Ray?

Petracca will be an explosive gun. But there is still a risk he could be a Watts

Unless we trade for two top tens and a player or two tens and a 20, I would be extremely dissapointed to trade No.1

it is nota lay down misere that we get guns late in the draft every year.
If you don't dare to win you lose. Put some faith in our recruiting staff. Just remember, apart from pick 1, every other pick we have is 1 spot worse than the premier. Then factor in that the premier have already picked up Frawley as a FA and traded for O'Rourke. If we just pick Petracca we lose IMHO. Give me pick 4, 18 and 19 instead of just pick 1 any day of the week.
Last edited by citywest on Sat 11 Oct 2014 1:52pm, edited 1 time in total.

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

gringo wrote:
bergholt wrote:
Trolls or not some posters just have an abrasive way of posting that irritate others with their lack of objectivity or positivity. A bit rough to warn over calling something a pile of crap.
:cry: :cry:

evo
Club Player

People are caught up with the romantics of pick 1. The reality is we can't afford to just have one top 25 pick a year or we will go nowhere. Regeneration will happen a lot sooner if we trade for players and/or picks because the idea of picking up a star in free agency is wishful thinking,

sasaint
Club Player

evo wrote: because the idea of picking up a star in free agency is wishful thinking,
Unless of course you are Hawthorn, Swans, Cats, or any other team that looks like it is a finals possibility. Free Agency will continue to stretch the chasm between the haves and have nots. A terrible time to be bottoming out. :x

Patience young grasshopper