GWS to get pick 1

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SAAD
Club Player

Re: GWS to get pick 1

So we are into Schoenmakers?? Ah geez my Hawk mates will bag me. They like him as a forward more than a defender but couldn't care less if he goes.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

st.byron wrote:
Linton Lodger wrote:
I think the issue we must not forget, even if Petracca is as good as Judd, is that gun key forwards do not grow on trees.
Gun key forwards are awesome so long as the ball comes down with enough quality and often enough. Prime example is Sydney yesterday. A forward line of Franklin, Tippett and Goodes but no chocolates because they were smashed in the midfield and contested ball.
True, but you still need them. The Bulldogs had a great list 2007 - 09, the lack of a gun key forward cost them dearly, they never were a genuine Premiership chance. They got Hall too late.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:You don't swap pick 1 for 3 players none of whom are certain to make it. IMO.
Jack Watts was a Pick 1. Still hasn't made it. Kruezer is at the crossroads. Scully hasn't really been worth #1 in my book. Patton looks a gun, but may be crocked.

There's no certainties. Not even at Pick 1.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:
FQF wrote:You don't swap pick 1 for 3 players none of whom are certain to make it. IMO.
Jack Watts was a Pick 1. Still hasn't made it. Kruezer is at the crossroads. Scully hasn't really been worth #1 in my book. Patton looks a gun, but may be crocked.

What you don't do IMO is swap it for two lower picks or for a group of players who may or may not make it. You look at all other options.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:
evertonfc wrote:
jaxons wrote:I promise you no matter what we will not be trading for pick 1 for pick 4 and Jacksch and O'Rourke.
You can choose to not believe me but I guarantee this will not happen.
GWS would love this but will not happen.
Fair enough Jaxons, and thanks for your insight. Personally, I'd do that deal. I think it's an opportunity to bolster our list significantly.

However, from what you're saying, you think we can get more for our Pick 1.

That can only be a good thing.
O'Rourke is unproven, Jaksch hasn't set the world on fire and pick 4 could be Brayshaw but it could be Wright. You don't swap pick 1 for 3 players none of whom are certain to make it. IMO.

Jaxons news is reassuring.
What's this Pick 4 malarkey??

Why is everyone so sure that Melbourne is going to get another pick after Pick 2 for Frawley??

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
evertonfc wrote:

What you don't do IMO is swap it for two lower picks or for a group of players who may or may not make it. You look at all other options.
But I don't think anyone is suggesting that.

Taking two late picks would defeat the purpose of getting rid of #1, I'd have thought.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
evertonfc wrote:

But I don't think anyone is suggesting that.

Taking two late picks would defeat the purpose of getting rid of #1, I'd have thought.
Some are happy with 4 and 20 and a player who hasn't done a thing. I don't like that at all. Im all for 4 if they could guarantee the player they really want. I can see how they can though.

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

Would Melbourne turn 2 and 3 into 1??

Trade radio suggested Melbourne could look at using Frawley's pick to trade with us, but they don't have anything else they could offer up except for pick 2.

FQF
SS Life Member

St Chris wrote:Would Melbourne turn 2 and 3 into 1??

Trade radio suggested Melbourne could look at using Frawley's pick to trade with us, but they don't have anything else they could offer up except for pick 2.
Now that is a trade I would certainly take, and a trade that Melbourne would be mad to do.

jaxons
Club Player

FQF wrote:

Now that is a trade I would certainly take, and a trade that Melbourne would be mad to do.
I think you'll find Melbourne will trade pick 3 and do a similar deal to what they did last year, providing they get this pick for Frawley.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

No.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Some are happy with 4 and 20 and a player who hasn't done a thing.
No player in the draft has done a thing, so I'm not quite sure of your point. Luke Ball didn't even play in his first year with us. Turned out to be a decent player.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Some are happy with 4 and 20 and a player who hasn't done a thing.
No player in the draft has done a thing, so I'm not quite sure of your point. Luke Ball didn't even play in his first year with us. Turned out to be a decent player.

Yes but no player has played 2 years in the AFL and still done nothing. Obviously you like the deal and obviously I don't. All trades for yet to be proven AFL players should be done as a separate deal IMO.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
evertonfc wrote:
Yes but no player has played 2 years in the AFL and still done nothing.
Bit harsh to say they've done nothing, IMO. I've seen them both and they both impressed (only in glimpses, yes, but enough). Granted, I wouldn't sell the farm for either of them on that, but what I've seen of them as juniors and seniors is that they will both be 150-200 game players.

FWIW, I think GWS's list is mind-blowing, and that's why they didn't play as much as they might have. I also think they put a line through Jacksch when it was clear he wanted out early in the year.

Add Pick 4, who you hope will be a 250+ game player, and you're looking at a lot of value, rather than a solitary player.

In this era of free agency, when you can lose a Pick #1 inside two years, I think it's worth examining all our options. I'm keeping an open mind.
Last edited by evertonfc on Wed 01 Oct 2014 6:05pm, edited 1 time in total.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
evertonfc wrote:

Yes but no player has played 2 years in the AFL and still done nothing. Obviously you like the deal and obviously I don't. All trades for yet to be proven AFL players should be done as a separate deal IMO.
I'm sure the recruiters will weigh up more than his afl form. Jack Steven was on our list a long time before he got played. Jaksche was a very good junior and was a genuine swingman. At his size I would have expected him to take a while to start playing regular senior footy. I hope they would try to gauge how much potential he has based on NEAFL form and a lot of other markers. He is competing with a lot of tall players at both ends at GWS.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
evertonfc wrote:

I'm sure the recruiters will weigh up more than his afl form. Jack Steven was on our list a long time before he got played. Jaksche was a very good junior and was a genuine swingman. At his size I would have expected him to take a while to start playing regular senior footy. I hope they would try to gauge how much potential he has based on NEAFL form and a lot of other markers. He is competing with a lot of tall players at both ends at GWS.

Yep so lets get him in another deal that has nothing to do with pick one.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

From what's in the media, seems like the Saints would consider DP 1 for O'Rourke & Jaksch.

No mention of GWS DP 4 coming back as well. Surely they won't do it without DP 4 included....

The other option that's been mentioned is take one of those 2 in the PSD (if he really wants to come to the Saints) trade 21 for the other.
Keep DP 1 for Petracca. Doesn't get them 3 selections in the top 21 though.

Your servants shall hold her stones dear, and have pity on her dust :shock:
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

MCG-Unit wrote:From what's in the media, seems like the Saints would consider DP 1 for O'Rourke & Jaksch.

No mention of GWS DP 4 coming back as well. Surely they won't do it without DP 4 included....
I reckon some in the media is often fairly ordinary at predicting trade value. Or maybe vague is a better expression; they often talk about a player being swapped for a "draft pick", without mentioning what number that pick would be.

Anyway, there's no way we'll do JO'R and KJ for 1, and by the looks of things from jaxons, even adding Pick 4 won't be enough.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

jaxons wrote:I think you'll find Melbourne will trade pick 3 and do a similar deal to what they did last year, providing they get this pick for Frawley.
I expect that also. Melbourne are bullish this year about shipping on top picks if they can get something back, and the Tyson trade has them bouyed.

Reckon they could land a surprise fish with a big player we haven't even considered yet.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

evertonfc wrote:
MCG-Unit wrote:From what's in the media, seems like the Saints would consider DP 1 for O'Rourke & Jaksch.

I reckon some in the media is often fairly ordinary at predicting trade value. Or maybe vague is a better expression; they often talk about a player being swapped for a "draft pick", without mentioning what number that pick would be.

Anyway, there's no way we'll do JO'R and KJ for 1, and by the looks of things from jaxons, even adding Pick 4 won't be enough.
I was going by what the media said were supposed quotes from Elshaugh/Pelchen regarding those 2 for DP 1

Fair enough, I hope you and Jaxons are right. I really want Petracca, however I must admit with DP 4 coming back as well - I'd probably start to sway a bit though....

Your servants shall hold her stones dear, and have pity on her dust :shock:
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

MCG-Unit wrote:I really want Petracca, however I must admit with DP 4 coming back as well - I'd probably start to sway a bit though....
Well If those two + #4 are on the table, we should be talking. But others, like plugger66, disagree.

That said, it's a worthy debate. One of the most important we'll have at trade week - because we probably won't have another #1 pick for the next 15 years.

There's clearly pros and cons for both sides.

jaxons
Club Player

evertonfc wrote:
MCG-Unit wrote:I really want Petracca, however I must admit with DP 4 coming back as well - I'd probably start to sway a bit though....
Well If those two + #4 are on the table, we should be talking. But others, like plugger66, disagree.

That said, it's a worthy debate. One of the most important we'll have at trade week - because we probably won't have another #1 pick for the next 15 years.

We are not stupid everton.
Why would we give GWS pick 1 for two blokes who have already left their club even if they gave us pick 4 back.
Please.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:

Firstly I think we will get pick one for the next 2 years Secondly the only way the club should do that deal is if they think either the top 4 are all level or they 100% confident they will get the player they want at pick 4. Unsure that is guaranteed though. The add on player shouldn't come into it.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:However, from what you're saying, you think we can get more for our Pick 1. Or we can secure one/both via other means (Gwilt + a later pick?)
Gwilt is an unrestricted free agent. Why would anyone trade for him?

matrix
Saintsational Legend

Unreal
:roll: :lol: