2014 List Management - Draft & Trade Discussion

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: 2014 List Management - Draft & Trade Discussion

St Chris wrote:
dragit wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Now from where I sit pick 17 for Paddy Rider is a completely fair trade and Essendon should just get on with it. But of course Essendon dont do 'fair.'

Out of interest - if there was a complete meltdown in relations. Could Paddy walk into the PSD and to us and then we could trade him on to Port for something decent - like their pick 17 which they are prepared to give up for him?

Or would this be against the rules?
The PSD is after the trade period, so he would have to spend a year with us.

Seriously, essendon's arrogance is pitiful, they wanted pick 6 for Crameri too - lol. I hope to god they force paddy to invoke his legal right to walk away, they deserve nothing.
And if he was out of contract, he's been at the Junkies long enough to be a free agent, so he's just walk to Port anyway.
Man I hope that happens.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:
SaintSimmo wrote:If we do happen to trade pick 1 to GWS then I reckon we'd be pretty keen in taking Paul Ahern at pick 4
Could do worse. He a nice player. He's one of those that could be the Bontempelli or Lewis Taylor of the draft.

If he is pick 4 I hope he is better than nice. Those 2 you mentioned are better than nice.
He is not likely to go that early but he is a very good player. You can imagine him being a bolter like those two. There is a heap of players who could go anywhere from about 5th to 20th or so and it will be interesting to see who gets picked where.

Bont was hardly a bolter. If he is a 5th to 20th player I hope we go no where near him on our first pick.

Roo12

I think we need to wait and see if Melbourne trade out one of picks 2 or 3. If they don't we should trade with GWS as we would likely get McCartin at pick 4. Something like pick 1 and 21 for pick 4(McCartin), Jaksch and O'Rourke. Would seem to fit with the whole 3 picks in the top 20 model. I think Melbourne do trade one of those picks though which would throw things up in the air as I don't think we need a Peter Wright type who seems to be the other top 4 player. Assuming he is more of a ruck/fwd than vice versa.

Having said that I don't know if Jaksch and O'Rourke are top end talent or not. With the PSD and the number 1 pick it seems to be an opportune time to inject some significant talent into the list.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Why are people so convinced Melbourne will get pick 3 for frawley...............massive overs in my view

saint4life
Roo12

It just comes down to cash - he gets 4 years @ $600k and Melbourne will get pick 3.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:
SaintSimmo wrote:If we do happen to trade pick 1 to GWS then I reckon we'd be pretty keen in taking Paul Ahern at pick 4
Could do worse. He a nice player. He's one of those that could be the Bontempelli or Lewis Taylor of the draft.

If he is pick 4 I hope he is better than nice. Those 2 you mentioned are better than nice.
He is not likely to go that early but he is a very good player. You can imagine him being a bolter like those two. There is a heap of players who could go anywhere from about 5th to 20th or so and it will be interesting to see who gets picked where.

Bont was hardly a bolter. If he is a 5th to 20th player I hope we go no where near him on our first pick.

So do I but there are worse players, I think he has a lot of star potential, he's very fast, kicks goals and racks up possessions. Hard not to like him. I think unless a club absolutely loves him he will go around 10 to 15 in the draft. I meant Bontempelli burst on to the scene early rather than bolted up the draft order although he did a bit.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote:Why are people so convinced Melbourne will get pick 3 for frawley...............massive overs in my view

Because the rumour is 5 years and 700K. That makes pick 3 certain.

FQF
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
chook23 wrote:Why are people so convinced Melbourne will get pick 3 for frawley...............massive overs in my view

The other issue is that AFL ultimately have discretion as to compensation picks. So, although it is completely beyond the rules, they may decide to give Melbourne a slightly better compensation because they rejected their priority pick bid.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

The other issue is that AFL ultimately have discretion as to compensation picks. So, although it is completely beyond the rules, they may decide to give Melbourne a slightly better compensation because they rejected their priority pick bid.
those reasons should not be connected............both treated seperately..........have to

saint4life
FQF
SS Life Member

chook23 wrote:
FQF wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

those reasons should not be connected............both treated seperately..........have to
We hope so... but we aren't exactly dealing with a transparent organisation.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote:
FQF wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

They wont need to treat them together if the rumour of what he is getting is true. That is first band for sure.
Last edited by plugger66 on Tue 30 Sep 2014 6:21pm, edited 1 time in total.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:
chook23 wrote:
FQF wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

We hope so... but we aren't exactly dealing with a transparent organisation.
true

saint4life
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

plugger66 wrote:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Hang on a moment!

If that's how it works... BJ got 4 years and $800K!

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
remboy
SS Hall of Fame

Dave McNamara wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Hang on a moment!

I think band 1 compo is the pick immediately after your first pick. Our first pick was 11, hence we got 12 as compensation.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

remboy wrote:
Dave McNamara wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Hang on a moment!

I think band 1 compo is the pick immediately after your first pick. Our first pick was 11, hence we got 12 as compensation.
Damn! :x

Thanks though for filling me in on that Rem'. :D

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Rosco
Club Player

remboy wrote:
Dave McNamara wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Hang on a moment!

yes we got band 1 for bj, pick 12

so did the Hawks for buddy, pick 19

the system is rubbish imo, if they are going to have compo it should be to fixed spots in the draft, mid-round 1, end round 1, etc

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

Rosco wrote:
remboy wrote:
Dave McNamara wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Hang on a moment!

the system is rubbish imo, if they are going to have compo it should be to fixed spots in the draft, mid-round 1, end round 1, etc
Unfortunately it's what the clubs agreed to so we're stuck with it. Another way of trying to favour lower clubs over higher clubs.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

That's the spirit.
Bunk_Moreland wrote:
WinnersOnly wrote: Fair trade that would suit both clubs...

Why should it be a fair trade?

there is a reason the #1 pick has been trade once in 15 years, it is because it is the golden ticket.

f*** fair. They offer overs or we keep #1 and take Petracca

Or we tell them we are gunna offer #1 for Dangerfield.

Come to the party, lube up and bend over, or we keep the golden ticket.

Fair? - our turn to do the screwing.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Old Mate wrote:Petracca has totally dominated TAC Cup footy for two years which includes his year as an under-ager. He's a ready to go power mid of the Boak & Dangerfield variety. It will take a seriously good offer to trade the rights to pick 1.
it could only involve Boyd.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

On the small chance we do get Boyd or Cameron its going to be hard to keep a lid on the messiah mania.
We will still need quite a few more good young players. Remember we still finished last with Roo in the side.
So Boyd or Cameron will only mean we break even when Roo retires.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Rosco wrote:
remboy wrote:
Dave McNamara wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Hang on a moment!

But the idea is to help the bottom sides if they lose good players, not the top sides if they lose good players.

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Emma Quayle on Petracca.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/t ... 0o6nk.html

Clearly the key question for all of us is whether McCartin can also make a short macchiato ...

Always loyal
matrix
Saintsational Legend

SemperFidelis wrote:Emma Quayle on Petracca.

Clearly the key question for all of us is whether McCartin can also make a short macchiato ...
nice article
ok
ive made my mind up
just take him with pick 1 ffs
we have a vision to 2018 and all that jazz so im sure we will have more picks inside the top ten in the next couple of years so lets grab Petracca now

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

matrix wrote:
SemperFidelis wrote:Emma Quayle on Petracca.

nice article
ok
ive made my mind up
just take him with pick 1 ffs
we have a vision to 2018 and all that jazz so im sure we will have more picks inside the top ten in the next couple of years so lets grab Petracca now
We can also put him on the coffee cart at family day.

The club will be out of debt in a jiffy.

Always loyal
sax
Club Player

From the Hun

ST KILDA

Working hard to nab Giant Kristian Jaksch to lead its forward line. Prepared to trade pick No. 1 for a quality player.

Saints head of football Chris Pelchen said the club was prepared to give up pick 1 to land former top-10 draft picks Jono O’Rourke and Jaksch in a deal similar to the one that saw Dom Tyson traded to Melbourne last year. The Demons moved from pick 2 to pick 9 in the draft, taking Christian Salem.

“If that deal is formally put to us we’ll consider it but it hasn’t been at this stage ... but that’s the type of deal we’re looking at,” he told AFL Trade Radio.

Pelchen said the club was “open-minded” about trading the first pick in November’s national draft, but wasn’t targetting any specific players.

The Saints are also in talks with banned forward Ahmed Saad and are likely to pursue fringe Geelong midfielder Taylor Hunt.

He said Patrick Dangerfield was not on the club’s radar and Sydney gun Luke Parker wasn’t in the frame either, despite persistent rumours.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/t ... 7074447591

Foundation Social Club Member No. 296