game and season vent/washup

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stinger
Saintsational Legend

game and season vent/washup

....bye jones, gwilt and schneids....some of it has been fun...not all...but some of it...

....sorry to see you go lenny...we all love you...you are a champion....

...stanley is not a bad ruckman and he seems to have grown a pair during the season...wins more of the ball than longer or hickey....and more tap outs too...

... north must be killing them selves laughing over delaney......easy to see why he wasn't in their best 22....makes too many flowering mistakes....

if we are just after a tap ruckman, then the yank is a better alternative to longer....billy isn't much chop..imho.....at the moment anyway....

....seb and newnes are keepers....with seb having more upside if he can pick up the pace...but newnes has been very impressive...

...weller is tough and will develop into a very good stopper for us....much more upside than the jones boy....

,,,not sure about the coach......not hard to see how the crows beat us today.....we don't know how to mind a man when they have the ball...or how to spread when we have it.....

....murdoch is going to be a very good footballer...reminds me of ROK.....

....shenton would be a dead-ringer for gary colling if he cleaned himself up. and got rid of that hair.....plays like him too.....

....three of weller, shenton, templeton and minchington should be upgraded to the primary list....just don't ask me to choose which three..... :cry:

....spencer has tons of ability and seems to be less timid these days...when he bulks up he will be a monster...

...we don't need lee.....waste of a draft pick....as was maister.....

.....would appears curtains for tdl and milera as well....even if we can't arrange a trade for terry....

...maybe simpkins, dunny and sipposs will be offered for trades...no buyers then delist at least two of them.....

we have a good group of young players already who can cement themselves in the team next year..

...wright, white, murdoch, saunders, hickey, billings, dunstan, acres curren, bruce and ross all look like they can play..

...just hope the wheels turn more favourable next year for marksworth, pierce and savage....

...don't know what to make of joey, but ray, fisher, roo, and dempster must stay.....

...i would make armo captain next year......he seems to have the balls for the job....

...if they are going to recruit saad....make him stand out until the preseason draft where we have first pick....

gone off the full forward for the no 1 pick...which we must keep......joining in with the mob who want to draft the best onballer....petracca (?)

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
kimberly saint
Club Player

Re: game and season vent/washup

how did spencer go today ???

stinger
Saintsational Legend

kimberly saint wrote:how did spencer go today ???

only had about six possessions....kicked 1.1...and rushed a second point when he ran out of room...also gave a quick handpass to schneids for a goal...so ...all in all...not bad....not brilliant...but not bad...you can tell he has heaps of footy smarts....

SaintWodonga
Club Player

Didn't get near him very often.

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
kimberly saint
Club Player

stinger wrote:

only had about six possessions....kicked 1.1...and rushed a second point when he ran out of room...also gave a quick handpass to schneids for a goal...so ...all in all...not bad....not brilliant...but not bad...you can tell he has heaps of footy smarts....
cheers

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Pretty good summary perhaps a tad blunt.

Reckon Delaney has been pretty solid. He's no superstar, but he wasn't mauled much this year.

The coach has been OK, Paul Roos was regarded as a superstar coach, but without the cattle he looked crap.

You may be right about Lee, but I'd love him to have a pre-season and kick a bunch of goals next year.

Longer & Hickey were both better than I anticipated, and made sense of the McEvoy trade. I won't be surprised is Pelchan trades either of these guys for a talanted midfielder or early draft pick.

Happy with Armitage, but happy for Roo to keep the top job next year.

Agree to draft the best available midfielder with our first three picks.

Whilst another wooden spoon is dissapointing, I'm pleased the club has invested in the development of so many young players this year. The club has given me confidence they are realistic about our position and are going about building for the future.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Pretty much agree with all of that stinger. good wrap up. But not sold on armo as captain - good team man and much needed as the kids develop. Happy with Roo to go again and see if dunstan is ready in 2016.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Toy Saint wrote:Pretty good summary perhaps a tad blunt...
Yeah, that's quite surprising TS... that Sting was (only) a tad blunt. :lol:

Thanks for a really good assessment there Sting. IMHO, I agree with pretty much all of what you wrote, though I'd also throw in TS's 'tweaks'.

One vitally important point though from reading your post...
when we play in our upcoming grand finals...
please, please, I'm imploring the club, for the love God and everything/anything that we hold dear,

the Panther MUST NOT PLAY ON BOB KEDDIE!!!!!!!!!!! :cry:

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

Good report Stinger.

Think you were a bit harsh on the coach, and I also thought Delaney was reasonable, considering how often and how quick the ball was coming down there.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

You forgot to mention the complete ineptness of our forward line (again). Less than 10 goals against less than stellar opposition (again).

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
evo
Club Player

Agree with most of it, not sold on Curren, Ross, Sipposs or Shenton. Hope there's some truth in the Cameron/Boyd rumours

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I would offer Billy Longer up for trade. we have Hickey, Peirce, Holmes, and Stanley. On todays performance Rhys is probably the pick of them. I would try for a first round pick, even if we had to sweeten the deal.
I would definitely try to trade our pick one to GWS for their pick 4 (if Melbourne get pick 3 given to them ) and their supplementary pick, 20 , We are expected take McCartin. The way I see it GWS would probably take Petraca, Dees probably wright and Brayshaw as they already and we would end up with McCartin.

SaintWodonga
Club Player

Good post match pressure, some of it sums up the year: http://www.afl.com.au/video/2014-08-31/postmatch-saints

Vazelos
Club Player

Very Good assessment overall, agree with evo that Curren, Ross, Siposs & Shenton still are work in progress to be considered long term options.
My gut feel is Ross will make it if he works his butt off & I saw some signs that Siposs may be understanding what it takes to make it, if he gets another chance next year he has to nail it.
I cant split Shenton or Roberton, is there room for both?
Want to see more from Curran also, needs to become a real mongrel, a bit of Stevie Baker & Liberatore in his game to become the type of player we need in a top team.

Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

I thought our pressure was good all year and that the umpires were good s well.

That is my season wrapup

You are garbage - Enough said
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Think you're a tad harsh on Delaney...

feel a bit like you took a disliske to him early Vs Melbourne and... well you know what thwey say about first impressions

otherwise pretty spot on

sasaint
Club Player

borderbarry wrote: I would definitely try to trade our pick one to GWS for their pick 4 (if Melbourne get pick 3 given to them ) and their supplementary pick, 20 , We are expected take McCartin. The way I see it GWS would probably take Petraca, Dees probably wright and Brayshaw as they already and we would end up with McCartin.
That is exactly how I think the Pelican will play it. As much as I would love to get Petraca, I think 2 picks in the top 20 are better than 1. McCartin and a good mid sounds like a good get.

PS: I may be the only one on here that thinks this but I would definitely retain Dunnell. He reads the play better than most and that's a great skill which is hard to learn. He is also pretty skilled and is willing to get into the game. He may be traded and has value there but I think he wold be picked up if he was delisted.

Patience young grasshopper
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Very Harsh on Delaney...countless waves of inside 50s, playing on best forward every week, rarely much pressure on opposition ball carriers kicking to their fwd line....what's a bloke gonna do?

Nee!
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

I do like the Murdoch ROK comparison though Stinger....I knew he reminded me of someone...needs to work on his tank, but has got alot of the atributes

Nee!
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:I thought our pressure was good all year and that the umpires were good s well.

That is my season wrapup
Oh thanks for that. I'll revisit those 18 games we lost and I'm sure you're right.
Signed AndyD.

Remember me??

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Tom_Sainter
Club Player

Agree with thoughts on Delaney, looked all at sea today.
Special mention to Farren Ray, thought he had a really solid season and showed real leadership, best season for the club

stinger
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:Think you're a tad harsh on Delaney...

feel a bit like you took a disliske to him early Vs Melbourne and... well you know what thwey say about first impressions

otherwise pretty spot on

well...he had a real shocker tody which might have affected my overall rating of hm...i might have softened a tad by tomorrow...he does make a hell of a lot of mistakes thoough...he's no bob murray or maxie

forgot to mention roberton before...maybe that's because his season was so poor....worth a another year though.....
Last edited by stinger on Mon 01 Sep 2014 12:06am, edited 1 time in total.

SaintWodonga
Club Player

In many respects our season is only just getting started. A critical period in the club's history is about to begin. Some very astute decisions must be made. Good luck to the trading team. Is it (the trading team) the biggest it's ever been?

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Delaney has been fantastic for us, when you consider the amount of time the ball has been in our defensive 50. He has hardly been beaten in a one on one contest.

wolfpup
Club Player

I was very pleased with the start of the season.

we beat melb and gws, in the gws game i realised Hickey will be a good player for us as it was he who turned the game for us with some clunking marks and goals, also in the same game the templeton to dunstan pass and goal following good work from roo got me excited for the future.

we just lost to west coast after that, had a shocker against adelaide and then beat essendon in a great game.

i was actually really dissapointed by the brisbane game, i really thought we would win that, and then our injuries started (templton, etc), the hawks game was simply shocking. we had good periods in games but our carlton games in particular were insipid.

freamantle game was a great surprise

we have to be pleased with dunstan, billings, templeton, weller, hickey. newnes has developed well, at times curren, saunders, wright, webster and bruce were good as well, and we have had a glimpse of whites capabilities. i am a big wrap for murdoch as well, think he can be anything for us, just something about him.

-----------

St.Kilda Forever!