Spencer White must play

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

andrewg
Club Player

Spencer White must play

As I look up the saints score today 6 hours after it has actually finished I am disturbed at how irrelevant our team is. Boring 3 goal rubbish again.

Spencer White must play against Freo. Some glimmer of hope in a season that is just terrible. He was awesome last week for Sandy....hoping the same tomorrow.

Kernal75
Club Player

Re: Spencer White must play

I don't see why they wouldn't give him a couple of games. I know he's raw and needs to work harder but seriously we are pathetic at the moment. Pretty much every other player on the list (except Markworth) has had a game. Roll the dice, play him and see if we have a player.

saint6709
Club Player

The kid is 19 - we are just limping through the season - give him another pre season then let him loose

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Even Brereton reckons he should get a crack soon

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
saint6709
Club Player

magnifisaint wrote:Even Brereton reckons he should get a crack soon
Given Breretons outbursts last year - I am not sure we should be too fused about his ideas regarding saints team selection

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

It will be hard to keep him out if he does well again tomorrow. It's not as if the seniors are setting the world on fire

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:It will be hard to keep him out if he does well again tomorrow. It's not as if the seniors are setting the world on fire
Yep playing him against Freo and let's smash any confidence he has and destroy a potential career. .

Could happen. Keep him away from the AFL level until next year.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Yep playing him against Freo and let's smash any confidence he has and destroy a potential career.
If he plays well again he probably earns a game on form, and isn't form how these things are decided?

It's not as if he needs to hold down a key position at this stage. Nor is anyone expecting him to be a match-winner this season, especially in a team that habitually loses by 10 or more goals. I'd just be happy for him to get a taste of it. Maybe a few touches on the half forward line or in the forward pocket.

Yes Fremantle would be a tough debut. Let's face it, they are all tough this season. At least this one is at the Dome.

Richo has said that ideally we get a few games into him by season's end. Maybe he envisages an easier game than Fremantle. Who knows, maybe White will solve his dilemma by not getting a kick for Sandringham for the rest of the season. We'll find out.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:Yep playing him against Freo and let's smash any confidence he has and destroy a potential career.
If he plays well again he probably earns a game on form, and isn't form how these things are decided?

It's not as if he needs to hold down a key position at this stage. Nor is anyone expecting him to be a match-winner this season, especially in a team that habitually loses by 10 or more goals. I'd just be happy for him to get a taste of it. Maybe a few touches on the half forward line or in the forward pocket.

Yes Fremantle would be a tough debut. Let's face it, they are all tough this season. At least this one is at the Dome.

Richo has said that ideally we get a few games into him by season's end. Maybe he envisages an easier game than Fremantle. Who knows, maybe White will solve his dilemma by not getting a kick for Sandringham for the rest of the season. We'll find out.
In theory you are right. Really comes down to his persona and mental toughness. That's my concern at this stage. One more pre season and maturity and I'd feel a lot more confident next March.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

No play him. Last time he had a run he kicked 1.5, right in line with our KPI's for shots on goal as displayed yesterday

You are garbage - Enough said
arpstk
Club Player

Coach has it right give him a taste before season end... opposition isn't that important but important not to promote him if he's not ready...footy is a dangerous game and some kids not able to protect themselves so are held back until they tick that box

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

I read somewhere he's gonna miss a couple of weeks with an ankle. Anyone else seen this??

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

St Chris wrote:I read somewhere he's gonna miss a couple of weeks with an ankle. Anyone else seen this??
Read that before last weekend.

But then he played. And he's been named to play again today (CHF)

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Firstly lets see what he does in a much weaker competition. It seems that because we see how poor some of the players are going that the ones at sandy would be better. Well clearly that isnt true at all.

PJ
SS Life Member

Just get past the hype and see if he can string some good games together at a consistent level. A month of good footy would probably do it.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Our biggest problems is our midfield talent, or lack there of...

You can try out backmen as you are guaranteed to get lots of ball heading that way unfortunately. Sure they will be under pressure...but you will given anyone there a big test out.

Whereas the forwards are often starved. Playing White at present will be a hard test due to lack of supply, and what there is tends to be haphazard.

Look at Stanley v Brown yesterday. Lots of good ball (ie accurate, quick and direct) yesterday directed Browns way. Not so much for Stanley.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintjake
Club Player

Wouldn't be the worst idea to give him a run against some lower ranked sides just to give him a taste before another big preseason.
Not sure Fremantle is the best idea for that.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

I just realised this connection:

Frank SPENCER - Betty WHITE

Munga
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
bigcarl wrote:It will be hard to keep him out if he does well again tomorrow. It's not as if the seniors are setting the world on fire
Yep playing him against Freo and let's smash any confidence he has and destroy a potential career. .

I don't get this thinking, sheltering the kids. Imagine if Banger didn't get a game until he was 20, he'd have played about 100 games less and probably wouldn't be the champion we all know.

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Munga wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:

I don't get this thinking, sheltering the kids. Imagine if Banger didn't get a game until he was 20, he'd have played about 100 games less and probably wouldn't be the champion we all know.

Banger was a good player from the day he worked into the club. White has not been and even was dropped to the seconds this season. If he plays well then he gets game otherwise he shouldnt.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Munga wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:

Banger was a good player from the day he worked into the club. White has not been and even was dropped to the seconds this season. If he plays well then he gets game otherwise he shouldnt.

Over the space of the last two years I reckon White has shown more than Stanley and Lee when in the VFL.

I reckon play him!!!

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

We have played 40 players this year.
Have they all deserved games?
Are they beating their opponents?
Play him.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

stevie wrote:I just realised this connection:

I don't get it.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
stevie
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:
stevie wrote:I just realised this connection:

I don't get it.

In Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em, Franks wife was named Betty.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

But her name wasn't Betty White.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"