Couple of questions

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Couple of questions

Didnt see any of the game yesterday due to other footy commitments so have a few questions regarding probably a few players lucky enough to keep their spots. How did it work again this week with Simpkin up forward? Did Milera show anything? Was CJ worth playing? And who went off for Minchington? And anything else relevant to yesterdays game.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Re: Couple of questions

Simpkin I hardly noticed. Kicked a goal and was the guy subbed off.

Milera was his usual self. Looked classy with ball in hand, snagged a goal but went missing for far too much of the game.

CJ didn't win much of the ball, was moved onto Cotchin after Weller was towled up in the first quarter/half and was a pass mark for mine.

Michington impacted the game very well. Kicked up couple and was involved in multiple score involvements. Yet to see if he has the ability to play out a full game at a high standard. Signs were good though. Skills looked good.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Old Mate wrote:Simpkin I hardly noticed. Kicked a goal and was the guy subbed off.

Milera was his usual self. Looked classy with ball in hand, snagged a goal but went missing for far too much of the game.

CJ didn't win much of the ball, was moved onto Cotchin after Weller was towled up in the first quarter/half and was a pass mark for mine.

Michington impacted the game very well. Kicked up couple and was involved in multiple score involvements. Yet to see if he has the ability to play out a full game at a high standard. Signs were good though. Skills looked good.

Thanks. Milera is in trouble next season it seems. Tom might be saved by a contract and aslo a few older guys retiring. CJ must be in his last year.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

How did it work again this week with Simpkin up forward?
Poorly, kicked a freakish goal from the boundary, missed an easy one - he's not a forward and can't keep playing there.

Did Milera show anything?
I thought he was okay, didn't get much of the ball, cracking in though and laying tackles. Others will probably disagree here though

Was CJ worth playing?
I am biased here, but I don't think he offered any more than Saunders or Curren, did a decent job on Cotchin when moved to him after quarter time - didn't stop Cotchin being BOG though. He certainly tried his guts out.

And who went off for Minchington?
Replaced Simpkin (i thought he actually replaced Webster who rolled an ankle at a similar time.
Minch did some very nice things, but I think we'll need to see a lot more of him before we can make a call - very good in limited time though.

Umpiring was pretty unusual, but we ended up with more frees, just not inside 50 where it hurts the most.

I thought Delaney was super, even though J-Riewoldt still took 5 marks inside 50… the ball was coming in pretty fast and cleanly.

edit - oops too slow!

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Old Mate wrote:Simpkin I hardly noticed. Kicked a goal and was the guy subbed off.

Thanks. Milera is in trouble next season it seems. Tom might be saved by a contract and aslo a few older guys retiring. CJ must be in his last year.
Yup. Jones has been okay this year but there doesn't seem a lot of value in playing him beyond this year with Weller developing nicely. CJ still a better player but not significant enough to be played in front of him considering our ladder position. Further, Weller has the talent to overtake CJ and is 8 years his junior.

As you said, Simpkin contracted saves him. Fisher, Gwilt and Gilbert not around for the longterm helps as well.

Milera frustrates...

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:How did it work again this week with Simpkin up forward?
Poorly, kicked a freakish goal from the boundary, missed an easy one - he's not a forward and can't keep playing there.

Did Milera show anything?
I thought he was okay, didn't get much of the ball, cracking in though and laying tackles. Others will probably disagree here though

Was CJ worth playing?
I am biased here, but I don't think he offered any more than Saunders or Curren, did a decent job on Cotchin when moved to him after quarter time - didn't stop Cotchin being BOG though. He certainly tried his guts out.

And who went off for Minchington?
Replaced Simpkin (i thought he actually replaced Webster who rolled an ankle at a similar time.
Minch did some very nice things, but I think we'll need to see a lot more of him before we can make a call - very good in limited time though.

Umpiring was pretty unusual, but we ended up with more frees, just not inside 50 where it hurts the most.

I thought Delaney was super, even though J-Riewoldt still took 5 marks inside 50… the ball was coming in pretty fast and cleanly.

edit - oops too slow!
Not too slow at all, offered a more in depth analysis than me.

A couple of positives seeing as I've been a negative nancy all weekend.

Stanley presented well, clunked a couple of contested grabs and kicked two nice long goals from 50.

Longer contested very well. Won his share of hitouts, tackled hard and got more of the footy.

Savage's best game. Worked hard to get the receiving ball but still tended to blaze away.

Shenton I thought was one of our better players. Works hard to offer rebound and banged home a nice goal.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Agree Savage & Stanley were both very good, which is great as they have both copped a bit after some poor games, we certainly need both to be playing well.

I think Simpkin is the perfect depth backman, he would cost us nothing in cap space, probably be happy to stay on the list as back-up, seasoned body… good age. With Fisher, Dempster, Gilbert & Gwilt winding up I wouldn't be de-listing Simpkin. Delaney/Bruce get injured next year, we are in serious trouble down back. He shouldn't be playing forward though.

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

Michington was the surprise of the week. Simpkin imo has a future dont know what he needs but he has something. Terry is very anoying shows a bit but fails to do the little things. out of our forward 50 a tiger had the ball on a small trot milera gave a have arsed chase and stopped that lack of pressure allowed that tiger to hit a team mate up forward that ened up in a goal. Terry had to chase harder. was sub able imo. that really pissed me off.

Minchington was great lively attacking creating... top stuff his pass to roo was excellent, one of the best kicks in to a 50 i have seen . bullet pass low and direct straingt to roos chest.

I owe Shane Savage an apology his last two games have been good. Yesterday he lifted to another level, so Shane if you read this I apologize your putting in.

Defence did a great job under the barrage of ball coming in. Delaney had Jack well. just a few times mainly in the 1st quat they didn't mark up. This allowed Trent to get far to many.

Roo needs to stop calling for it so much and allow stanley to do some more. same ol roo stanley always getting stuck in the same pack. roo could start acting as a decoy lead and allow stanly to get a few more sent at him.

we played a decent game and happy to say the team is improving.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Milera is much maligned and was in very limited company in attempting to apply pressure in our forward line. Laid a number of tackles, which has not been a feature of his game in the past. His pace and skills are things we lack badly. Based on yesterday, I would give him one more year. There was one chase in particular that resulted in him laying a tackle. He persisted and showed good intent and intensity. He still goes missing (as already pointed out) but showed one important thing yesterday - progress!

I have been a defender of CJ because he brings something a VERY young team lacks - grunt. Based on what I saw yesterday the only reason he would still be on the list next year is as cheap cover. He fails to impact games, and as a tagger he actually dropped off a hell of a lot yesterday and was waving others to pick up his man (is he carrying an injury?). We actually joked that he appeared to have taken on BJ's old pointing and general arm flapping responsibilities.

Thought Ross was good for three quarters to me, appears to have taken a step up in the past month. Savage was generally pretty good and just appears to be settling now.

Good signs from Longer. Started using his size to do the bullocking work around stoppages, whilst not actually taking possession himself, cleared a path a number of times for the mids or dispossessed opposition or greatly influenced us gaining possession from a contested situation.

Stanley led with authority at times and marked well. Clearly can play and if he gains confidence from that and builds on it he could still end up being well more than serviceable.

Thought Minch was very good when introduced. Great kick, knows how to play.

Dunstan will captain our club one day. Watched him running to cover a Richmond mark with a lose man running to the contest. He instructed Dempster which player to take and Dempster simply followed instruction and we covered off both players and split the contest. The kid is 18 and in his first season. He simply reads the play and knows how to play the game. Got a great centre clearance and kick deep inside fifty all off his own work late in the game when we were clearly done.

Simpkin is interesting. Reckon he'd rather a fight than a feed, and provides something we badly lack at the moment - some mongrel. If he was three inches taller or better skilled at his size he would be alright, unfortunately he is neither. Was subbed out and disappointing given the opportunity, albeit in the wasteland called our forward line.

Delaney has been our recruit of the year for mine. Has simply slotted in and many must be wondering why he couldn't get a decent run at his old club!

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

ShanghaiSaint wrote:Michington was the surprise of the week. Simpkin imo has a future dont know what he needs but he has something. Terry is very anoying shows a bit but fails to do the little things. out of our forward 50 a tiger had the ball on a small trot milera gave a have arsed chase and stopped that lack of pressure allowed that tiger to hit a team mate up forward that ened up in a goal. Terry had to chase harder. was sub able imo. that really pissed me off.

Minchington was great lively attacking creating... top stuff his pass to roo was excellent, one of the best kicks in to a 50 i have seen . bullet pass low and direct straingt to roos chest.

I owe Shane Savage an apology his last two games have been good. Yesterday he lifted to another level, so Shane if you read this I apologize your putting in.

Defence did a great job under the barrage of ball coming in. Delaney had Jack well. just a few times mainly in the 1st quat they didn't mark up. This allowed Trent to get far to many.

Roo needs to stop calling for it so much and allow stanley to do some more. same ol roo stanley always getting stuck in the same pack. roo could start acting as a decoy lead and allow stanly to get a few more sent at him.

we played a decent game and happy to say the team is improving.
Unreal. Terry didn't have a great game, but to accuse him of not chasing is grossly unfair. He chased, harassed and tackled hard all game. Needs to find a way to get more involved. Thinks happen when he gets the ball. Not always positive, but things happen. His run up the wing and handball is the stuff we need more of.

Club Player

8856 i'm a fan of terry but that was sad to see. he needed to give a follow up effort to put pressure on the tiger. since he stopped allowed him to kick up to a team mate and set up a goal. not asking for him to be dropped but it's those little things that can cost you a game.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
sasaint
Club Player

True Believer wrote: Dunstan will captain our club one day. Watched him running to cover a Richmond mark with a lose man running to the contest. He instructed Dempster which player to take and Dempster simply followed instruction and we covered off both players and split the contest. The kid is 18 and in his first season. He simply reads the play and knows how to play the game. Got a great centre clearance and kick deep inside fifty all off his own work late in the game when we were clearly done.
Yes! :D

True Believer wrote: Delaney has been our recruit of the year for mine. Has simply slotted in and many must be wondering why he couldn't get a decent run at his old club!
Yes! :D

Patience young grasshopper
maverick
Saintsational Legend

Simpkin is struggling up forward but he does provide a contest, something Lee and Stanley struggle to do, assume that is why he is there, I would like to see it persist.

Terry is up and down like most say, but he is a rare commodity in our team, he is a forward and has an instinct to kick goals.

Minch needs to play 4 or 5 more as long as form warrants it, because if it does he should get an upgrade, we struggle for a small forward and some creativity.

Jones is annoying. Runs hard gives a great contest but turns it over. Curren needs to demand his spot.

Junction Oval
SS Life Member

Most of the main points have been covered, but I have not seen a mention of Jack Billings. I kept an eye on his efforts throughout the game and was disappointed. He is not ready for AFL at the moment.

Firstly, I understand that he is only 19 and light in the body, but for a No. 3 Draft pick, he has a long, long way to go. Is slow and was run ragged in the first quarter- absolutely spent. Poor decision making, ground positioning and kicking, did not help things later on.

At least another 3 years of development needed before he will be able to make any impact. Not sure that this high draft pick has the goods for AFL - but I would love to be proven 100% wrong. Plenty of time for him to do that.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Junction Oval wrote:Most of the main points have been covered, but I have not seen a mention of Jack Billings. I kept an eye on his efforts throughout the game and was disappointed. He is not ready for AFL at the moment.

Firstly, I understand that he is only 19 and light in the body, but for a No. 3 Draft pick, he has a long, long way to go. Is slow and was run ragged in the first quarter- absolutely spent. Poor decision making, ground positioning and kicking, did not help things later on.

At least another 3 years of development needed before he will be able to make any impact. Not sure that this high draft pick has the goods for AFL - but I would love to be proven 100% wrong. Plenty of time for him to do that.
I think you were proven wrong, only last round. 25 touches at 100% efficiency (AFL record) and 3 goals. Young players are inconsistent and take time to build up a body and tank for AFL footy....

Milne
Club Player

Here's my take. I've added a few other players.

Simpkin - As others have said Simpkin has something, but we haven't discovered how to utilise him yet. He was so great under pressure a couple of years ago, wonder how we can get more out of him given he will likely still be with us next year.

Milera - A front runner who has got the x-factor but just needs to work a little bit harder. In a better forward line he would be a serviceable player.

CJ - Gets the ball but doesn't know what to do if the handball option is not on. Had one really terrible shot for goal from 45 out directly in front that finished about 15 metres out near the point post. Still worth playing given we don't have much else. Is he still being used a tagger? Used to be a decent tagger.

Minchington - Looks lively, works hard and kicks well. He has earnt his spot in the team and is taking advantage of his opportunity.

Stanley - Looks like an athlete and finally played like one yesterday. Took a couple of good marks and kicked a couple of beauties from outside 50. He needs to build on yesterday's performance and use it next week. If he keeps his chin up and uses his natural athleticism to his advantage he will make it.

Jack Steven - Starting to run and take on players again. Kicking was terrible, but he will work on this and do better in future games.

Jack Billings - Star in the making. Love his attack on the footy, love how he works hard to create space and opportunities. Great kick of the footy.

Luke Dunstan - Doesn't get a lot of the footy but does so much around the ground when he doesn't have the ball. This bloke will be our future captain.

Luke Delaney - Very underrated and does a fantastic job week in week out when we are constantly under pressure. Reminds me a bit of Luke Penny.

karnaby
Club Player

True Believer wrote:Delaney has been our recruit of the year for mine. Has simply slotted in and many must be wondering why he couldn't get a decent run at his old club!
Agree. And, just to take this off track for a moment, I wonder what his brother is up to? I haven't taken much notice of norf but I don't recall seeing him play. Maybe he'd like to be at a club where he could actually get a game?

Back on track - I thought Webster had a very good first quarter, he seemed to get a lot of touches and was creative. Also happy with his touch of mongrel in jumping into martin and giving him a serve, Seb was happy to get into the scrap that ensued too which I thought was pretty good.

It's a shame ignorance isn't painful
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Looking forward to CJ and the virus being delisted, along with TDL of course.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Junction Oval wrote: At least another 3 years of development needed before he will be able to make any impact. Not sure that this high draft pick has the goods for AFL - but I would love to be proven 100% wrong. Plenty of time for him to do that.
After last week I find this to be a very strange post... He played a better game last week than many players do in their entire career.

PJ
SS Life Member

Tommy Simpkin seems to have a way of riling the opposition up. He gets into them whether that's verbal or physical I'm not sure. The team mongrel.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
wally
Club Player

used up some frequent flyer points and went to the first live game for maybe 2 yrs.

MiIera, I thought looks casual as a lot of "silky skills"players seem to.Does a few eddie betts run downs but one chase (2nd qtr?) through centre square he just gave up and
let the rich player run into forward line free. 4th qtr?,had a little space running onto ball waiting for ball to bounce up eventually 2 rich players got to him and caused stoppage about 15-20
metres out, milney in that space would have made something of that.

Jones does run to provide an option but seemed to put teammates under pressure with poor choices or disposal.Would probably prefer a young guy has the game time in the hope they improve
I think with cj its as good as its gunna get.

Savage I assume was playing of half back and did a good job that's his place.

Dunstan went well, he made a stuff up at one point and worked his bum off to make it to the next contest and create a stoppage.

Shenten gives us something but made a break at one stage and almost went too far again (pinged last week)but yeah someone going forward for sure.

Simpkin gives something but he isn't Hammill or Fraser Gerihg

We all see things differently

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Agree with others sentiments on Simpkin, I want it to work, cause I like his nerve.

Wants to play for the jumper, I feel like if we persist it will turn.

resaintlee
Club Player

Junction Oval wrote:Most of the main points have been covered, but I have not seen a mention of Jack Billings. I kept an eye on his efforts throughout the game and was disappointed. He is not ready for AFL at the moment.

According to the account on the Saints site he had 10 first half possessions and then got tagged by Morris in the second half.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Looking forward to CJ and the virus being delisted, along with TDL of course.

Why? Will it make you feel better that their AFL career is over.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Agree with most of the sentiments shown here.
On the down side, some players who are not playing to last years standard.
Sean Dempster. Lost a bit of pace.
Jack Steven. Appears to have not yet gained match fitness.
Leigh Montagna. Reminds me of Dal Last year and Goddard the year before. A trade in the wind perhaps?
Clint Jones. Was once our fastest player. Slowed down, His kicking and decision making have not improved either.
Sam Fisher. Injured all year.
Sam Gilbert. Injured most of the year.
Geary. Same as Gilbert.
Nick REiwoldt. I am sure he has been playing injured for 4 or 5 weeks now.
Farren Ray. May have lost a bit of pace too. Has lost something.
Roberton. Cant even get a game this season.

Is it any wonder we have dropped this season?