Is Billings and co really benefitting from this?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Re: Is Billings and co really benefitting from this?

A baptism in fire isn't necessarily a bad thing. Players could indeed have their confidence smashed and go crying to their mothers. On the other hand, they could also develop a very tough skin and become incredible footballers as a result.

It's make or break for players like Jack Billings. If he can't make it, then it's bad luck for him and a career in AFL probably wasn't for him after all.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

If he was any one else he would have been dropped/rested weeks ago! I also think they are asking too much of a kid who has talent but has never played against men. If I had pick 3 now on this years form I would take Aish well ahead, with KK From GCS also a long way in front of Billings.

He is talented there is no doubt but he looks a bit timid at this stage to be rolled out against men each week!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:If he was any one else he would have been dropped/rested weeks ago! I also think they are asking too much of a kid who has talent but has never played against men. If I had pick 3 now on this years form I would take Aish well ahead, with KK From GCS also a long way in front of Billings.

He is talented there is no doubt but he looks a bit timid at this stage to be rolled out against men each week!

What about when BJ was drafted? Luckily recruiters dont based things on what may happen after 12 games.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:If he was any one else he would have been dropped/rested weeks ago! I also think they are asking too much of a kid who has talent but has never played against men. If I had pick 3 now on this years form I would take Aish well ahead, with KK From GCS also a long way in front of Billings.

amen brother....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:

amen brother....

So who did you want to draft Stinger. Its funny after his first or second game no one was complaining. Hindsight after half a year of footy. The good thing is you can complain now and then say he is a star later and then tell everyone you always thought that.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Plugger no one is suggesting we should have drafted anyone else - more that he has been thrown the wolves and hasnt really performed! Perhaps the club needs to give him and other younger players more breaks from the main arena...?

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
sainter#4
Club Player

I can't believe some of these posts!!

We were told the moment Billings was drafted that he wasn't ready to play early - Unfortunately due to injuries and lack of better options we played him early.

I have seen enough of Billings and his 10-16 touches every week to be very excited.

Kid needs a rest and he also needs to be supported by bigger bodies, which due to our current list make up and injuries just isn't possible currently.

Would you prefer we drop him and play TDL? Personally i would prefer to play a bloke who has kicked the 2nd most amount of goals for us every week.

in 24 months he will get more time on ball and be a lot bigger and stronger, whilst everyone here will be claiming he is the new Stevie J.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

This thread started by me was definitely a hindsight thread, and I acknowledge that. I also believe that Billings will be a bona fide star one day - hopefully for the saints. I also acknowledge that I am quite possibly jumping at shadows here (so no offense taken Cairnsman) I do have faith in Richo and what he is doing. I guess I'm throwing it open for discussion re the kids. If they are getting pounded every week, do we persevere, or do we replace with old heads who aren't as talented but more battle weary, just for a few weeks.

In any event - I'll be there Sunday with my 14yr old daughter who is doing me proud with her resilience and loyalty. One good thing about the team going crap - it's not hard to reserve a good seat, and it's character building for all of us... 8-)

chook23
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:No, he should have been spelled. Two weeks ago.

He was rag dolled last week and again this week he copped a physical lesson

He looks to have lost self belief

found it fairly quickly today.

saint4life