Seb Ross

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Seb Ross

skeptic wrote:It's interesting because if a lot of forumites had their way, Seb would have been written off after his first game this season...

it's like I said a page ago... players promoted from the VFL need a decent run so that we can gauge improvement

Ross has improved... looks good enough to stay on the list atm

Same thing is now happening to Lee and Dunnell as well as Siposs too

Like a 15 goal trouncing tells you everything you need to know about a player

No it doesnt but ordinary form in a pretty low comp usually suggests you arent up to it. Lee and Siposs have been mostly ordinary at sandy this year. You dont need 4 games in a row to see they arent up to it at the moment whatever the losses are. By the way hasnt Ross been dropped at least once if not twice this season but when he has gone back he is normally in the best. Thats what players who maybe up to it should do. I only had to Dunell once to know he is nearly a sure delisting at the end of the season. Nothing has changed for him. he is one of those players who does do well in VFL but just doesnt have the right skills to be an AFL player. At least he does usually show up in the VFL to give himslf a chance. Pity Siposs, Lee and Stanley cant do the same. White is another. I dont care hoe young he is but he should look like a superstar in the VFL seconds. its a very bad comp.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
skeptic wrote:It's interesting because if a lot of forumites had their way, Seb would have been written off after his first game this season...

it's like I said a page ago... players promoted from the VFL need a decent run so that we can gauge improvement

Ross has improved... looks good enough to stay on the list atm

Same thing is now happening to Lee and Dunnell as well as Siposs too

Like a 15 goal trouncing tells you everything you need to know about a player

No it doesnt but ordinary form in a pretty low comp usually suggests you arent up to it. Lee and Siposs have been mostly ordinary at sandy this year. You dont need 4 games in a row to see they arent up to it at the moment whatever the losses are. By the way hasnt Ross been dropped at least once if not twice this season but when he has gone back he is normally in the best. Thats what players who maybe up to it should do. I only had to Dunell once to know he is nearly a sure delisting at the end of the season. Nothing has changed for him. he is one of those players who does do well in VFL but just doesnt have the right skills to be an AFL player. At least he does usually show up in the VFL to give himslf a chance. Pity Siposs, Lee and Stanley cant do the same. White is another. I dont care hoe young he is but he should look like a superstar in the VFL seconds. its a very bad comp.
I don't think Dunnell has been very fairly treated as far as playing seniors for a few weeks is concerned but sometimes coaches don't rate players that the past coaches did. Lyon got rid of guys like Voss, Goose etc. both had very good qualities but not ones Ross rated highly. Likewise favourites of Watters are now likely delisted at seasons end.

Shenton was only okay in his first senior game this year but his second game burst out of the pack. Sometimes you just need to give them time to adjust and back them in. I get the feeling that Lee doesn't endear himself to Richo.

Middo
Club Player

Will be happy to be proven wrong if & when he strings together more efforts like yesterday ..

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Have said in the past I didn't think Ross was up to it at AFL. Seemed to run up and down on the spot and had a small tank.

Happy for him to prove me wrong. Why wouldn't I be, he is a Saints player and I want ALL Saints players to succeed.

Hope he continues to gain confidence and play as he did on the weekend.

A glimmer of hope in a dark and gloomy season.

You are garbage - Enough said
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Seb Ross. Only 19 games. Wait till he gets to 50!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Vazelos
Club Player

My Gut feel is this boy will make it. Not everyone was born a Chris Judd and his running speed & endurance plus natural adaption to the game overall will improve from games 25 to 50. He has general football ability & smarts, I think he will be given the time. Think about the young players that have come through from 2004 to 2011 what team they had around them & the team we have now. He is not an A Lister but I think he can become a very good player if he works his butt off & puts in a big pre season injury free permitting. Fingers crossed on him.

Megamaguire
Club Player

Seb Ross getting slowly older

Another year needed I would have thought.

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Showed a lot today I thought.

Will blossom with more time and ball to be won next year.

Has composure, makes good decisions.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I still dont know.
But Id give him another year and next year we will know one way or the other.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Webs biggest problem that he has to overcome is that he gets killed on the spread. There must have been at least 6 times today where he was left for dead by his direct opponent and usually through the centre of the park.
At this stage he is a one trick pony, he wins the ball in tight.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

BringBackMadDog wrote:Webs biggest problem that he has to overcome is that he gets killed on the spread. There must have been at least 6 times today where he was left for dead by his direct opponent and usually through the centre of the park.
Who didn't killed on the spread today? I like his development under Richo - he's learning how to get his own footy consistently and that's a big thing in footy - the more of those you have the less easy it will be to shut our team down. If he can develop gut running to get to a lot of contests and give support I think he could make it.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

BringBackMadDog wrote:Webs biggest problem that he has to overcome is that he gets killed on the spread. There must have been at least 6 times today where he was left for dead by his direct opponent and usually through the centre of the park.
I like him and think that ultimately he could be very good. Seems to have good poise under pressure and a knack of finding the ball.

Problem is leg speed is not his strength and we alsio have Armitage and probably Dunstan of that type. Still, persist

spert
Saintsational Legend

Seb showed a few promising signs and is good in close, but needs to keep improving. A bit too much is made of leg speed, especially in regard to run and spread, and it is more about defensive mind-set than outright running power and that's more a team thing that the coach needs to address, as it's not just Seb who plays too far away from their direct opponents. The competition for midfield spots will be tight when Dunstan is in the mix, so it's up to Seb to step on the gas and make the most of the rest of this season.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Seb showed a few promising signs and is good in close, but needs to keep improving. A bit too much is made of leg speed, especially in regard to run and spread, and it is more about defensive mind-set than outright running power and that's more a team thing that the coach needs to address, as it's not just Seb who plays too far away from their direct opponents. The competition for midfield spots will be tight when Dunstan is in the mix, so it's up to Seb to step on the gas and make the most of the rest of this season.

hopefully he is given the chance...bit hard dome by this year.....great disposal....quick hands..wins the hard ball...bit worried that tony reckons he is up for trade....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Beekay
SS Life Member

The sort of player who could flip a game when it's on the line, staying calm and collected with great poise and decision making in tight.

Deficiencies will decrease.

Just a lad. Will get bigger, stronger and more assertive.

I'm a fan.

... a taller Sam Mitchell... :D
Last edited by Beekay on Mon 11 Aug 2014 3:07pm, edited 1 time in total.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Give the kid some time!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
stinger
Saintsational Legend

think that the coach was pleased with him.... :wink:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I concur

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Must persist with him IMO, has a lot of tools even if he does have a few weaknesses in his game.

Would hope he's not for trade as we wouldn't get back a better pick than we originally invested in him.

There were some comparisons to Pendles being made early in his career but I nevr saw it, I see him more in his cousin's mould, think he will be a late bloomer also .

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

People saying he's got good disposal - is that actually true? As far as I can see he's pretty suspect with the ball in hand. Not sure if it's decision-making or execution but there were a bunch of turnovers yesterday by both foot and hand.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

I've just seen the replay of yesterday's game, and that snapped goal was EXCELLENT! Give the kid a chance!

sainters85
Club Player

so what if he's slow? A lot of our players are slow like Armo and Billings but they still give effort..

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I thought he looked really promising?

older saint
SS Life Member

The major concern i have with him is that he has had 3 pre seasons now and still doesn't seem to have a big enough tank. He is strong at the contest but not sure if he gets to enough of them and second efforts and chase without the ball is lacking. Not quick , which isn't a worry as is hard inside. Perhaps there is a reason his tank isn't what we would think it should be.
Bit like do i sell a share which seems to be stagnating but may still have upside or do i hold and risk the value dropping if it doesn't develop

Freebird
Club Player

We need to improve and just can't keep everyone who may be a slow good ordinary player.

Do you think the side would miss him going forward?