Game Thread Saints v Pies

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

asiu
Saintsational Legend

Re: Game Thread Saints v Pies

Maybe let go a few more guns for average DPs and down trade them for GOPs....
Let go some guns , like we have lots what a stupid call ..!!!
on that point ... lol ...i could nearly assure you he was being sarcastic.

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
stevie
Saintsational Legend

Wow, it blew out to 86? I went to bed about 1010 when it was 54 pts. I was gonna watch till the end but that soft free to Elliot annoyed me so I turned off.

I thought our effort was pretty good! We had some great passages of play and moved the ball well. We missed a few fairly easy shots at goal which could've made the margin a bit closer.

I don't care if I get shouted down but I reckon the boys did their best. Some guys had shockers but the effort was there.

I'm sticking with the boys and saying we will beat Port this week

F*** THEM ALL. GO SAINTERS <edited by mods>

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

If Pelchen is the problem , then how much of a problem were his predecessors between 2006 and 2011?

Can you name me the great recruiting and trading moves in that period? It's the decisions made during that period which have gotten us here, not Pelchen's decisions.

Pelchen can be fairly judged in about 2 years time.

Here are some little beauties for you.

2006 pick 27 Brad Howard
2007 pick 9 Ben McEvoy (over Dangerfield, Rioli, Ebert, Harry Taylor, Callan Ward, and Alex Rance)
2008 pick 13 Tom Lynch
2009 first round pick traded for Amdrew Lovett, when we could have picked up Nathan Fyfe, Ryan Bastinac, or Mitch Duncan
2009 gave up Luke Ball for nothing. Collingwood offered pick 30, which could have netted Alllen Christensen, David Astbury, Ben Stratton, Nathan Vardy, or Jamie McMillian
2009 pick 32 Nick Winmar
2009 pick 60 Jesse Smith
2009 pick 64 Adam Pattinson

dsav
Club Player

Photo album from last nights game here.
http://www.davesavell.com/p116927064

Dave.

Middo
Club Player

BigMart wrote:Middo
How did you think we played. What has Pelchin brought to the club? A half baked refresh in 2011/2012... A baby out with the bath water in 2013/14... In an expansion team era?

In his reign
Two coaches gone
Two champions gone
Another good player gone

We are rebuilding (code name: basket case)

Not sure Pelchin is the Saviour .... IMO he's the issue...
Piss him off

AR seems a stand up coach
Needs better support in the box....

Some of the kids sare ok
Think answer has been given by other posters ...
I'm looking at the future not going on hindsight ..

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

dsav wrote:Photo album from last nights game here.

Dave.
Welcome Dave.
Always love your photos.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
dragit
Saintsational Legend

cwrcyn wrote:It's the decisions made during that period which have gotten us here, not Pelchen's decisions.

Pelchen can be fairly judged in about 2 years time.
This says it all... To blame last night on Pelchan is a bit silly.

Most of our positives from last night came from recruits that Pelchan has had a hand in...

Put McEvoy, dal santo & Goddard back into the side last night and we might be more competitive for the now, but the fall in 2 years time would be much much greater, if that's even possible.

Btw, I don't think even in 2 years we'll be able to judge pelchans rebuild, might still be 5 before we know... In the meantime the first signs are on the right track IMO... We just have to deal with short term pain, get used to it.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

stevie wrote:Wow, it blew out to 86? I went to bed about 1010 when it was 54 pts. I was gonna watch till the end but that soft free to Elliot annoyed me so I turned off.

I thought our effort was pretty good! We had some great passages of play and moved the ball well. We missed a few fairly easy shots at goal which could've made the margin a bit closer.

I don't care if I get shouted down but I reckon the boys did their best. Some guys had shockers but the effort was there.

I'm sticking with the boys and saying we will beat Port this week

F$&K THEM ALL. GO SAINTERS

I'm with Stevie, sometimes you don't need to over analyse, just say it how it is straight. Not sure about a win but I think we are due to put in a bigger effort with Armo to reinvigorate our midfield. I noticed Jones and Weller got lined up with head high bumps when they were going for the ball. Port are unlikely to send out a hit squad at least.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

kosifantutti wrote:
dsav wrote:Photo album from last nights game here.

Dave.
Welcome Dave.
Always love your photos.
Agreed , his photos make us "look good"

Seeya
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

didn't watch the last quarter...couldn't.

Not just because I don't like watching a s*** game but find it so hard to see how far we have slumped. Hurts too much , so much so that I have lost interest in the season to extent of not knowing who we are playing next week or even caring.
Still trying to get my head around how we could fall so low and feeling so sorry for Lenny and Roo having to suffer the humiliating losses.

These aren't just bad days...they are insufferable.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

voddie ' n herb help insufferableness.
... withdrawals a bitch , but thats another matter :)

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Principle of Q'uo wrote:voddie ' n herb help insufferableness.
... withdrawals a bitch , but thats another matter :)
lol..I have always managed to maintain a sense of humour regardless...but these are testing times. :wink:

PS I can't even say s*** anymore...these *********** thingy's keep appearing to stifle my emotions.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

What has Pelchin done that has been successful?

Throw in Nettlefold, Brian Peake and Archie Fraser as the people who sent the 2nd most successful club over a decade south...

Those who think either of these two things are kidding themselves

1/ if you are successful you NEED to bottom out!!! That's a cop out!!!
2/ if you are down the bottom, you will inevitably rise?!.. It's doesn't just happen

There is too much evidence to suggest
Rebuilds don't have to happen, and they don't always work.

Been constantly competitive and ever evolving is the key to sustained and ultimate success.

GT built a club
Lyon built a team

We actually now need to rebuild both because of mid management

maverick
Saintsational Legend

GT built nothing more than a personal play thing…
And wasted an opportunity of a lifetime...

dragit
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:We actually now need to rebuild both because of mid management
Hence why Pelchan was brought to the club...

A systematic over-paying of stars followed by successive drafting disasters got us to where we are, you know it even... if you want to continue to whinge about the guy brought in afterwards charged with the monumental job of correcting our course.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Pelchen employed Watters and then 2 years later realised he had made a mistake then caused him to be sacked! That cost the club 500k now they are trying to get members to fund a junior development program, such a well run organisation are the sSt kilda administration & board. I think 'cluster' is the term that comes to mind...

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

You do realise he started at the club in 2011

He's going to be gone within two years.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

BigMart wrote:What has Pelchin done that has been successful?

Throw in Nettlefold, Brian Peake and Archie Fraser as the people who sent the 2nd most successful club over a decade south...

2/ if you are down the bottom, you will inevitably rise?!.. It's doesn't just happen

Been constantly competitive and ever evolving is the key to sustained and ultimate success.

GT built a club
Lyon built a team

In about two years time I hope we reserve the first position in line for you. That would be the queue lining up to kiss Pelchen's arse.......

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
dragit
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:You do realise he started at the club in 2011

He's going to be gone within two years.
Whatever happens, I don't want to hear you laud any of the players that pelchen helped bring into the club.

If we had it your way, we'd have lost by 5 goals on Friday instead of 15.

But we wouldn't have 7-8 of the 9 players you have suggested might be part of our next tilt.

Acute case of cake-and-eat-it-too-ititus.

Middo
Club Player

BigMart wrote:What has Pelchin done that has been successful?

GT built a club
Lyon built a team

You really seem struggle to grasp the fact that while being coached by Lyon our development of young talent and drafting took a hit for striving to win the flag..
I believe we now have to take a hit for our next rise up the ladder and certainly don't lay the blame at Pelchins feet . His job is to turn it around and I think he has put in place over the last two years a rebuild that can have us competing again in the next few years.
Funny how after the first 3/4 games you never mentioned Pelchin as all looked rosy ..
Maybe toughen up a little and ride out the next few years and look forward to some young kids coming through who may just take us to our next tilt at the flag ..

Cheers

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

So striving for a flag means you forgo recruitment and development?!

I was the main target of this board in 2009-2012 for being critical of recruitment and development.
a winning team is the best team for kids to come into and shine, we failed to do this. Armitage, Steven, Lynch along with one or two others were dominant at Sandy but never even got a 20-22nd man position.

Dean Polo is a nice bloke, but the fact he and Adam Pattison were drafted was ridiculous

I will laud players drafted since Pelchin arrived, as I would have lauded any who stayed if they did. Pelchin is not the onlyerson

Would love to hear Ross Lyons take on Chris Pelchin, or SWs but we won't hear that until their careers are over.

IMO
We will prosper when Pelchin is gone...

gringo
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:So striving for a flag means you forgo recruitment and development?!

I was the main target of this board in 2009-2012 for being critical of recruitment and development.
a winning team is the best team for kids to come into and shine, we failed to do this. Armitage, Steven, Lynch along with one or two others were dominant at Sandy but never even got a 20-22nd man position.

Dean Polo is a nice bloke, but the fact he and Adam Pattison were drafted was ridiculous

I will laud players drafted since Pelchin arrived, as I would have lauded any who stayed if they did. Pelchin is not the onlyerson

Would love to hear Ross Lyons take on Chris Pelchin, or SWs but we won't hear that until their careers are over.

IMO
Polo was a mistake but Pattison was probably only ever considered because most teams need a back up emergency ruck.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:So striving for a flag means you forgo recruitment and development?!

IMO

If we had won a flag they all would have been heroes. I am all for giving the administration a good run at implementation. Instability of vision is worse than anything at club level. We bet everything on a premiership and just missed 2 of them. Worth a last gasp try with an ageing list and other teams getting better around us. If we'd won we would all be satiated and happy and not even care. We ran our race, came second and now are starting over. Life sucks but you just need to deal with it and move on. Should celebrate the fact that with an uneven playing field a little club muscled up and fought it out.

I'm proud of what we achieved but wish the outcome had been different.
there is a possibility that both geelong and Collingwood were using enhancements and with guys like Jason Blake and other guys with limited talent and huge hearts went out and took it up to the world. Pride in limited achievements isn't settling for mediocrity it is just acknowledging effort.