Saints still sorting things out - The Age

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Saints still sorting things out - The Age

Saints still sorting things out four years after last win over Collingwood

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/s ... z338pRwsjv

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints still sorting things out - The Age

Very interesting article, he points out that we have 11 players on our list that were at the club the last time we beat Collingwood whilst they have 10, however, i think his main point is
some of those 11 players are now effectively list cloggers and need to be moved on.

He also says it's time for Lenny to hang up the boots.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
FQF
SS Life Member

Wayne42 wrote:Very interesting article, he points out that we have 11 players on our list that were at the club the last time we beat Collingwood whilst they have 10, however, i think his main point is
some of those 11 players are now effectively list cloggers and need to be moved on.

He says that does he?

"Riewoldt, Montagna and Hayes have been great again this year, but while the first two have one and two years respectively left on contracts, Hayes is more likely than not to hang up the boots."

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote:Very interesting article, he points out that we have 11 players on our list that were at the club the last time we beat Collingwood whilst they have 10, however, i think his main point is

the coach thinks differently...

http://m.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-premi ... 6936420574

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Saint wagga
Club Player

Great article, really interesting insight, and puts into the spotlight an uncomfortable truth for a couple of our players...I thinkfrom the list clog group, the only players who on form should be just about automatic picks are Roo, Joey and Lenny, and that goes for next year as well. They are clearly A grade, always in the best 5 players and belong at the highest level...I would have said the same about Fisher and Schneids, but there injury profile and lack of consistent footy over the last 2 years, means they are no longer automatic selections even though when fit they are clearly A grade AFL players...waiting on these guys to get off the injury list and using them as an excuse for our teams form is just not right IMO...I think Gilbert, Gwilt and Ray and important depth players because of their age profile and I think they fall into solid AFL players, made to look better in good teams, good role players, but when in struggling, will not show out as classy or team changing, for ray and gilbert its their disposal, for Gwilt it's his pace...

I'd like to see Schneids and Fisher let go at seasons end, almost primarily due to injury and age profile, and I write this with no joy, as they are both some of my fav players, but having really injury prone older guys on the list is just not where we should be at.

I clearly think Hayes should go around again as his form and ability to consistently play up to a high AFl standard means he demands selection, not based on sentiment, nostalgia or team balance...he's still our best inside midfielder, full stop!!

One thing the article didn't highlight was the age of those key players when we played off against Collingwood in 2010...our best players were older than theirs...same with geelong...our core was older than their core, and so their fall from the perch was always going to be 4-5 years after ours...We had zero young guns in those Grandfinal tilts, both Collingwood and geelong and a good smattering of them...excellent players younger than 24 years old, we had none.

Another decent turnoever at seasons end is on the cards...i just hope they keep getting it right!!

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Harsh reality is we have plenty of senior players and we are still 3RD bottom for two years running. Fans fret about 'doing a Melbourne' because they emotionally cant let go of their old faves and somewhere deep inside they still hold a candle that the old stagers wil all flick some switch and re ignite the old days.

For us to truly do a Melbourne we would have to cut all the older players plus also let Armo Geary Gilbert Roberton leave then have Billings or Steven leave for GWS then make Dunstan and Acres co captains. Only if we did all of those things could you say we had 'done a Melbourne'.

But reality is

Joey Roo Lenny - keeping up their end of the bargain. Joey may be tradeable though.
Fisher - body is done.
Gilbert - hardly played in two years now.
Jones- No longer AFL standard. List clogger.
Gwilt - too slow. Going through the motions. List clogger
Ray - tries his guts out. Below average disposal. Keep.
Schneider - Does he even still care or is he just topping up his super ?List clogger.
Dempster - tries his guts out so keep. Not sure he needs to play all 22 next year though.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I cant see where the reporter actually says that final line.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Do you think you need to re-read the article or should i.

The Lenny bit doesn't really matter, he'll make up his own mind, it's the list cloggers that need to move on or be moved on.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Im sure if we werent in the middle of a run of compromised drafts our list would look far different. Trying to rebuild a aging list with pick's in the late 30's and 50's does you little favours.
Last edited by CURLY on Fri 30 May 2014 2:19pm, edited 1 time in total.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

The Lenny bit doesn't really matter, he'll make up his own mind, it's the list cloggers that need to move on or be moved on.

I read it again and he doesnt say it. I think you may need to read it again. And agree on the list cloggers.

FQF
SS Life Member

Wayne42 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Would be nice if you had the balls to admit that you embellished the article for dramatic effect -- get a grip.

GoSaintersGo
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Wayne42 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I read it again and he doesnt say it. I think you may need to read it again. And agree on the list cloggers.
With Plugger66, IGNORE.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Proof read it for P66. He doesn't say Lenny should retire at all. It's more along the lines of a lament that Lenny, being amongst the three better players of the eleven, will more than likely hang up his boots come end of season.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:
Wayne42 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Would be nice if you had the balls to admit that you embellished the article for dramatic effect -- get a grip.
You should release your grip, and, leave my balls out of it