Dylan Roberton

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

RW&B
Club Player

Dylan Roberton

Just got back from 7 months overseas so apologies if this has been discussed but I notice he hasn't been in the side. One of the shining lights of last year. Where is he at?

"I'm a better coach when Nick Riewoldt is in the side" - Ross Lyon 2007
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Re: Dylan Roberton

RW&B wrote:Just got back from 7 months overseas so apologies if this has been discussed but I notice he hasn't been in the side. One of the shining lights of last year. Where is he at?
I think he was dropped early in the season and his form at Sandy has been crap.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
stkildathunda
SS Hall of Fame

Was playing injured early in season and was dropped. Still played injured in VFL... Having issues with his ankle that he injured late last year. Has slowly been improving and found some consistent form lately. With Bruce/Delaney in team it's hard backline to break into, we have so many defenders now.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

We had him do an ankle and he kept playing on it then did it again badly in one of the last games of the year. He looks noticeably sore when he walks. Our medicos are having a bad run at the moment. He was also left on the ground last year despite being very obviously concussed. Hope he gets it right. He would also be struggling from missing a lot of preseason stuff. I think he might not have gone to the US because of the ankle too.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Disposal has been awful at Sandy

Saint wagga
Club Player

I think Roberton has been hampered by injury, which had affected form and confidence...but...

1. He's a classic example of being a bit of a smokey recruit under one coach, who's game style he suited a lot more having a good run.
2. He was on Freo's list for 3-4 years and unfortunately it looked like they might have been right to let him go... that he was a burst player, capable of stringing some good games together but ultimately not consistent enough.

He's of the age bracket that if he was in favour with the coaches/seen as long term plan, surely he'd have an op to repair his ankle if it's that bad, rather than trudge along in the 2's doing himself no favours at getting a contract extension. I've got a feeling he's contracted for this year and next, which at the moment looks like a bit of a waste, mind you i'd be happy to be proven wrong. Might seem harsh I know, but rebuilding is not a sentimental nice thing...tough descisions will need to be made...

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Freo didn't want to let him go at all. Certainly not in the "delist" category for mine... Having a poor year, which injuries haven't helped, but he is a good footballer when his body is right and has plenty of time up his sleeve yet.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

dragit wrote:Freo didn't want to let him go at all. Certainly not in the "delist" category for mine... Having a poor year, which injuries haven't helped, but he is a good footballer when his body is right and has plenty of time up his sleeve yet.
This. Is a good size, good in the air, reads play well and likes to go for a run. Last year was closer to his true potential. Injury has curtailed him since then.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
Saint wagga
Club Player

True Believer wrote:
dragit wrote:Freo didn't want to let him go at all. Certainly not in the "delist" category for mine... Having a poor year, which injuries haven't helped, but he is a good footballer when his body is right and has plenty of time up his sleeve yet.
This. Is a good size, good in the air, reads play well and likes to go for a run. Last year was closer to his true potential. Injury has curtailed him since then.
Happy to have a slight difference of opinion on his full potential as a player - but I don't fully understand how his ankle onjury can be used an ongoing reason for a drop in form to this degree without more being made of it, ie: from the coaches/ given his age, why hasn't his season been stopped short to surgically correct the issue if it stems all the way back to last year...surely playing ordinary football in the 2's is not helping anyones cause, and given his age and games profile, it seems he woudl be much better off getting the injury sorted out...he doesn't need 2's time to chalk up experience! I think thaty's the point i was trying t make.

The other thing is, playing injured is something that all AFL players have to deal with in some way or another. If he can't manage that perticularly well, then it's another sign that perhaps last year was as good as he gets? i'm not sure. Given his size age and games profile, he certainly could fill a role for us as a depth player in the running half back rebound defender for us, but i don't think he'll go on and be a better than average player.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Is it a mental or confidence thing for him ?

Was one of my favs last year and I really hope he finds his way back

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Saint wagga wrote:
True Believer wrote:
Happy to have a slight difference of opinion on his full potential as a player - but I don't fully understand how his ankle onjury can be used an ongoing reason for a drop in form to this degree without more being made of it, ie: from the coaches/ given his age, why hasn't his season been stopped short to surgically correct the issue if it stems all the way back to last year...surely playing ordinary football in the 2's is not helping anyones cause, and given his age and games profile, it seems he woudl be much better off getting the injury sorted out...he doesn't need 2's time to chalk up experience! I think thaty's the point i was trying t make.

The other thing is, playing injured is something that all AFL players have to deal with in some way or another. If he can't manage that perticularly well, then it's another sign that perhaps last year was as good as he gets? i'm not sure. Given his size age and games profile, he certainly could fill a role for us as a depth player in the running half back rebound defender for us, but i don't think he'll go on and be a better than average player.

the lack of a preseason is the fitness base a lot of players use to get through the games. He's obviously not back to 100% and is probably being built up at sandy.